Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nidoking posted:

There's also Mario music whenever Rick is in the cutscenes. He's not just a Mary Sue - he's the flagship Mary Sue.

They also use F-Zero music in a few areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Heavy Sigh posted:

The Mr.Freeze bit was explained, actually. He wants to freeze the planet to kill off all organic life, thus protecting his robots from the ravages of nature. Also it will make his computers run better because I guess Robotnik hasn't discovered thermal paste yet.

I mean, I'm not surprised that the plot is that mind-bendingly stupid, but really? He'd be much better off removing all oxygen from the planet, or better yet, just going to a different planet at that point.

It'd be even cheaper to just fill whatever lair/factory/whatever he houses his robots in with an inert gas.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Please don't do the robot voice thing. It's pretty difficult to understand.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I am looking forward to Page quoting this post.

Could this be a side-by-side playthrough of MME and dongs some other game to discuss how much worse it is in great detail? Preferably not a game with a good reputation. Maybe mega man wonderswan.

Sober Simon needs to comment on the good game and Drunk Simon needs to comment on the bad game. Preferably in drunken German.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Denkst der blede Saubreiß daad des vastüi? Is ja koa gscheids dableckn nachat.

It's everything I wanted and I have no idea what it means.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Augus posted:

Slow autoscrollers, booooo!

Kinda weird that Endless Mode is literally just made up of screens from all the other (official) Mega Man games.

It's forgivable since it's a boss arena. The progress is the boss's health bar, not getting to the other side of the level, so the slow pacing of the screen movement is irrelevant.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not gonna pick through the video to find the fights, but here's the link to the whole thing. Cheat Man's very passive in the fights compared to what Heavy Sigh had to put up with. I assume some of that is due to using savestates to manipulate his AI, but I think a lot of it may be that Cheat Man's AI is somewhat reactionary -- he seems to take actions primarily when you try to hit him at the wrong time. If your attacks are properly timed to hit him when he's in the middle of doing something else, he won't pull out his nastier counters.

At least, that's my supposition; I'm certainly not going to play the game to try to find out.

I suspect that part of it is also not having a bigger health bar. When your max health is half of his, there's a lot smaller window for him to swap your health bars around, and it might avoid triggers for most of his nasty attacks.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, if you can say one thing about this game, is that it is consistent. It lands gags like no one's business, and it fails to give proper gameplay just as well. And sometimes, it ends up being funny despite not intending to, like with that boss sprite.

I'm not sure if I can genuinely call it bad, in that at least it made me laugh, and several times, though most definitely not all, I genuinely believe it did so on purpouse. Thanks for showing this, Neo-Shinryu.

Is it just me, or is Darkman's secret final form the yeti from SkiFree?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, they definitely didn't subscribe to a "less is more" approach to design. Cloud Man's stage was way too long, didn't have any real focus, and didn't even really have a central gimmick. It's arguably made worse by using spring man's gimmick, so you don't even really get a themed area until you have the lightning bolt + water thing, but even then that's rather a lame gimmick and there's not much to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

It's funny because the gimmick and the idea seem fun, but the sheer inability of the mod author to actually make it enjoyable is what ruins it. Making the enemies shoot bullets at you when destroyed is a really dumb idea for a game that isn't primarily a shmup in the first place, overloading the hardware with way too many sprites is sloppy, and the biggest sin it commits is that you just end up using proto shield instead of cycling through your weapons and having fun with using them in a unique gimmick where their powers are perhaps interesting in how they can damage the enemies or enemy spawners in a unique manner.

Slow the travel speed down a bit, remove the bullets being shot at the player on enemy death, provide more setups for different weapons, and suddenly it's a fun section instead of a slog.