Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Evil Genius
Mar 30, 2006
They should have listened to Reason.

quote:

Lt. Col. William "Bill" Cage (Tom Cruise) and Special Forces soldier Rita Vrataski (Emily Blunt) team up to fight a hostile alien race known as Mimics, with Cage continually returning to a fatal battle through a time loop. The action of Edge of Tomorrow unfolds in a near future in which an alien race has hit the Earth in an unrelenting assault, unbeatable by any military unit in the world.

A common plot comparison I've seen is Starship Troopers meets Groundhog Day.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw61gCe2oqI

The film is based on the book "All You Need Is Kill" by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. This is a pretty short novel and it wasn't the best work of fiction that I've ever read, but it has some potential as source material since it's military sci-fi with a mix of ranged and melee combat could be really amazing to watch. From what I've seen in the trailer, Emily Blunt's "Rita Vrataski" is close to how she is described in the book. Jezebel will probably be making GBS threads its pants about how she will be portrayed, one way or another.

The only things bothering me are:

1) The obligatory "Tom Cruise must ride a motorcycle" and "Tom Cruise must moved by an explosion in the air". Honestly, though, I'm just kind of amused by it. So no big deal. I still liked Oblivion.
2) There is a little nationality/race bending going on from the book to the film (big surprise). I would have rather seen Ken Watanabe or [insert Asian actor here] to change it up. I actually usually enjoy Cruise's work, but I think he was a little miscast in this role. Too old for the character and, in my opinion, too recognizable to be the soldier who just happens to be the hero. Again, not too big of a deal for me to enjoy it.

I was a little surprised not to see a thread about this already. What do you all think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I'm glad they changed the name, even though the new name sucks almost as much. Looking forward to this because Tom Cruise is always good value and it's 'original' sci-fi.

Getting a serious Mass Effect vibe from the poster.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Been pretty excited for it since I heard it was being made, and the trailer looks like they're staying faithful to the book for the most part. Although I might just be looking into it, but bits and pieces from the trailer make me feel like they might change the ending.

big huge ending spoilers:
At the end of the book Rita reveals to the protagonist that even though they've finally managed to win that battle one of them has to die otherwise they'll just keep returning to the beginning of the day. Protagonist ends up being forced to kill her so he can go on to help win the war. Theres some talk in the trailer that makes it look like this plot point comes up earlier instead of right at the end and that Tom Cruise is trying to find a way to keep her alive. I'm hoping there just moving it to earlier in the story and not actually changing the entire ending.

Another Evil Genius
Mar 30, 2006

Vulpes posted:

I'm glad they changed the name, even though the new name sucks almost as much.

Awww, I actually liked the name for how ridiculous it is. Edge of Tomorrow has a fun ring to it, but it's not as interesting to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Another Evil Genius posted:

Awww, I actually liked the name for how ridiculous it is. Edge of Tomorrow has a fun ring to it, but it's not as interesting to me.

I actually like the tagline "Live Die Repeat" as a title for this movie more than Edge of Tomorrow or All You Need is Kill.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The movie looks fun as hell from the trailer, but yeah, the name really does suck. For example, I saw this thread and at first I thought "Wait, didn't we already have a thread for Escape From Tomorr--oh..."

It's not a title that does much to stand out to people, whereas All You Need Is Kill seems like it would get a ton of people in the theater to see it just out of sheer curiosity whether they'd seen the trailer or not. Even Live Die Repeat seems like it would have more of that kind of reaction than a generic title like "Edge Of Tomorrow" that doesn't tell you poo poo about what the movie's about or its tone.

But the name change has already been discussed at length across various other threads, and I guess it's more of a minor gripe since the movie itself looks pretty entertaining.

Though now that I've started thinking about it, seeing a movie in which Tom Cruise goes on a surreal nightmarish trip through Disney World with his family in which he keeps dying and coming back to life to relive the worst moments would be incredible :allears:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Completely sold.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I really wish they'd stop casting Tom Cruise in stuff like this. I thought he was the weakest part in both Oblivion and Minority Report - he's bland, uninteresting and these days obviously significantly augmented/made up. The concept is definitely cool and I'm glad to see more movies going with the realistic yet futuristic look that Blomenkamp used in District 9 and Elysium. All that said, I loved Emily Blunt in Looper so who knows, she might balance it out.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Red Crown posted:

I really wish they'd stop casting Tom Cruise in stuff like this. I thought he was the weakest part in both Oblivion and Minority Report - he's bland, uninteresting and these days obviously significantly augmented/made up. The concept is definitely cool and I'm glad to see more movies going with the realistic yet futuristic look that Blomenkamp used in District 9 and Elysium. All that said, I loved Emily Blunt in Looper so who knows, she might balance it out.

Cruise's intensity is hard to replicate. The man gives it is all and is always brilliant. Did you know he did all his own stunt driving in Jack Reacher? Also, nobody casts Tom Cruise. He decides what films he wants to be in and gets them made.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ghosthotel posted:

Been pretty excited for it since I heard it was being made, and the trailer looks like they're staying faithful to the book for the most part. Although I might just be looking into it, but bits and pieces from the trailer make me feel like they might change the ending.

big huge ending spoilers:
At the end of the book Rita reveals to the protagonist that even though they've finally managed to win that battle one of them has to die otherwise they'll just keep returning to the beginning of the day. Protagonist ends up being forced to kill her so he can go on to help win the war. Theres some talk in the trailer that makes it look like this plot point comes up earlier instead of right at the end and that Tom Cruise is trying to find a way to keep her alive. I'm hoping there just moving it to earlier in the story and not actually changing the entire ending.

I'd bet money they're changing the ending.

In the book, Rita explains the deal as she's going after Keiji with an axe so he can't try to weasel out of it. (Rita is :black101: as gently caress.) If it's earlier, the film's structure requires that there be something they could do, or else every minute past 'hey, one of us has to die' will be just dragging things out to a foregone conclusion. Which is a different narrative sin than losing a good ending, but it's still a mistake, and an obvious one. Meanwhile, the other choice makes it more of a Hollywood ending.

Pretty sure I can guess where they're going with that.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
When fielding powered exoskeletons en masse becomes a thing, I always assumed that they'd be fully armored too - I mean, why waste all that power if the wearer is so vulnerable? Does the book explain that?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure the Jackets (what they're called in the book) cover up more of the body than what we have in the movie.

The change doesn't really matter though since The Mimics are incredibly strong and also shoot spears out of vents in their body that are described as having the same power of 40mm shells so they rip right through the armor.

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 21, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Der Luftwaffle posted:

When fielding powered exoskeletons en masse becomes a thing, I always assumed that they'd be fully armored too - I mean, why waste all that power if the wearer is so vulnerable? Does the book explain that?

Any armor is a trade off between mobility and protection and I'm pretty sure whenever powered exoskeletons are fielded in large numbers that's going to carry over. In fact, out of the two exosuit designs competing for military contracts, the Raytheon SARCOS and the Lockheed Martin HULC, the HULC is more likely to be fielded because it's lighter, less-complicated (it's not a full body exo, just the legs and back) and easier to remove.

Also, I get the impression that Edge is what would happen if an alien invasion happened now. The Jacket looks very much like the SARCOS design while wearing commonly-available armor plate carriers and have repurposed SCAR assault rifles as sidearms. It makes some sense to have easily replaceable armor, since most armor is only good at stopping a few hits. Tanks essentially have to be scrapped if they're hit and survive an anti-tank missile attack or counterfire from another tank.

Also, Ghosthotel brings up some good points. Most likely the exoskeletons are there too match the speed and strength of the Mimics while the armor is really there to make sure you're not injured on a near miss (which a lot of steel helmets and flak vests were designed for, to stop shrapnel, not bullets). A direct hit will probably kill you, regardless.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Young Freud posted:

A direct hit will probably kill you, regardless.

Or at least whether it kills or not is more or less random and not a function of body armor. Also, a full body suit means we can't see the actors without resort to inside the helmet shots (a la Iron Man) or some similar artifice. That constricts how you can film and edit your action scenes, in my opinion rarely for the better.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Wandle Cax posted:

Cruise's intensity is hard to replicate. The man gives it is all and is always brilliant. Did you know he did all his own stunt driving in Jack Reacher? Also, nobody casts Tom Cruise. He decides what films he wants to be in and gets them made.

Sure, there's intensity there, and he's an excellent actor. It's just...he's an actor in the sense that he seems like a sociopath trying to fit into a role, doing it very well. It worked for me when I was a kid, but as I've gotten older I've started to find his acting mildly unsettling. I think it's getting more and more so as he gets more and more plastic surgery. That probably has something to do with how botox treatments start to affect the fine motor muscles that are important for subtle non-verbal cues, I guess.

As for deciding what film he wants to be made, I can't really comment.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Also, Ghosthotel brings up some good points. Most likely the exoskeletons are there too match the speed and strength of the Mimics while the armor is really there to make sure you're not injured on a near miss (which a lot of steel helmets and flak vests were designed for, to stop shrapnel, not bullets). A direct hit will probably kill you, regardless.

This is pretty much exactly the case in the book. It's been a while since I read it but from what I remember a direct hit from one of The Mimics was not something you were walking away from.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Hbomberguy posted:

Completely sold.
Pretty much. Take Tom Cruise's famously intense running and give him a power suit? Can't lose.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bland, ethnocentric casting and lovely, generic name aside (I mean, can any title possibly beat All You Need is Kill for sheer :black101:ness?), I am super pumped for this. Despite his failings or eccentricities, Tom Cruise is always reliable in bringing intensity to any role, and I've enjoyed his forays into sci-fi. I agree that this role would've been more interesting if they had cast someone less well known, and preferably Asian, to bring it more in line with the source material (Steven Yeun or Osric Chau would both fit this role perfectly). However, like someone else also said, this movie probably got greenlit due to Cruise choosing it out of a pile of scripts, so...I'll take what I can get.

Curious as to how they will deal with the original book ending though. In any case, I'll probably see this opening weekend, because I am a sucker for sci-fi and Tom Cruise running and/or getting thrown by explosions.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Tom Cruise always brings conviction to whatever he plays and goes full bore. He never half asses it seems. He's always entertaining, brings quality, and I will buy a ticket to his movies, retardation about psychiatry and xenu stuff aside.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
The most recent Mission Impossible movie was a whole lot of fun so I'm not expecting Tom Cruise to drag this movie down in the least. The visuals looked solid too, and I'm curious to see more of those robotic tentacle creatures that we caught snippits of.

With that said, the amount of blue and orange saturation in the trailer was really off-putting, and reminded me completely of A Good Day to Die Hard. If it's not blue, it must be orange.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DarkLich posted:

With that said, the amount of blue and orange saturation in the trailer was really off-putting, and reminded me completely of A Good Day to Die Hard. If it's not blue, it must be orange.

And did you know, they also probably used a four chords song in the soundtrack! 😱

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Oblivion is one of my favorite movies from the last few years, so Cruise in sci-fi can basically do no wrong right now in my opinion. I'm pumped as hell to see this.

EDIT: I should clarify that Oblivion was a collaborative effort of awesome, so Cruise alone does not a good movie make, but it's a good start.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 24, 2013

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Am I wrong that this is basically (potentially massive spoilers) a sci-fi action Groundhog Day?? It could be cool. I really like Tom Cruise if directed by the right person with the right script. Oblivion completely missed the mark for me, but eh, I grew up in the 90s, so Tom Cruise is sort of a guy who I can't hate (even if he is a loving nuts in real life).

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

You're not wrong, and it's not really a spoiler. The trailer pretty much straight up tells as you as much in the first 20 seconds.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Red Crown posted:

Sure, there's intensity there, and he's an excellent actor. It's just...he's an actor in the sense that he seems like a sociopath trying to fit into a role, doing it very well. It worked for me when I was a kid, but as I've gotten older I've started to find his acting mildly unsettling. I think it's getting more and more so as he gets more and more plastic surgery. That probably has something to do with how botox treatments start to affect the fine motor muscles that are important for subtle non-verbal cues, I guess.

As for deciding what film he wants to be made, I can't really comment.

One of my favorite anecdotes about Tom Cruise is how Christian Bale supposedly found the character of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. They had a character who outwardly had to be fairly charismatic, while still somehow showing that underneath he was a complete sociopath even when he was putting on his best charm. The story goes that one night Bale called the films director because he was watching Tom Cruise on some talk show, and he was doing his normal charismatic mannerisms and obviously knew all the right things to say and do to seem charming, but in any close up there was something off in the way his eyes didn't quite move right and you got this feeling that he "had no soul." Bale and the director decided that was the perfect way to go with their character.

Anyway, that's just a perfect way to describe Tom Cruise's performances as likeable protagonists. It makes him great for his roles in movies like Collateral, Magnolia, and War of the Worlds, but if we're supposed to think he's warm or good hearted there's a total disconnect.

Anyway, it doesn't diminish my interest in a fun adventure like this, where the entertainment is more likely to come from the thrill and adventure than from nuances emotional resonance. He does have intensity and looks great running on film.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 24, 2013

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Am I wrong that this is basically (potentially massive spoilers) a sci-fi action Groundhog Day?? It could be cool. I really like Tom Cruise if directed by the right person with the right script. Oblivion completely missed the mark for me, but eh, I grew up in the 90s, so Tom Cruise is sort of a guy who I can't hate (even if he is a loving nuts in real life).

It seems like this movie is a videogame battle with very hard enemies and a checkpoint at a point that lets the character prepare a bit before being thrown into battle.

Another Evil Genius
Mar 30, 2006

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Steven Yeun or Osiric Chau would both fit this role perfectly

Good casting choices. I wonder if they'd have the chops to carry a film like this. It's not exactly a character study, but still.

I also want to say that whoever cut that trailer nailed it. I must have watched it about 10 times already.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Democratic Pirate posted:

It seems like this movie is a videogame battle with very hard enemies and a checkpoint at a point that lets the character prepare a bit before being thrown into battle.

They make that metaphor in the book actually

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Literally read through the book in the last day based on this thread and the premise.

Seems like the movie will be making a slew of changes. The Mimics in the movie look like tentacled robots out of the Matrix, and while that's probably a good thing for the full screen, I would have enjoyed seeing squat frog nanomachines that shoot out javelins. I felt like the frogs hit just the right level of weird and creepy, but I suppose isn't as awesome to see Cruise battling them.

I'm guessing he gets out of killing Rita and gets a deeper understanding of the Alien tech than he does in the book. Which is unfortunate because Keiji and Rita are both ultimately guessing at how the alien technology works based on vague understanding.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Hbomberguy posted:

Completely sold.

I saw this as the header image for the first article I read about it on Slashfilm. And was like, Tom Cruise in power-armor POWER-RUNNING?! Shut the gently caress up and take my money already.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Another Evil Genius posted:

I also want to say that whoever cut that trailer nailed it. I must have watched it about 10 times already.
Same here. That ambient music they've got completely sells it. I'm pretty excited to see Tom Cruise Groundhog Daying an alien invasion into the dirt.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I got most of my friends interested in the book by calling it Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers, the movie looks like it will deliver exactly the same. That is a good thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"All You Need is Kill" makes it sound like a foreign film because of the not quite English, so that's probably part of the reason for the change.

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

"All You Need is Kill" makes it sound like a foreign film because of the not quite English, so that's probably part of the reason for the change.

Though to be honest it does have a bit of a ring to it.

I have to admit I have to look forward to any movie with that sort of title as the source material; the fact that this looks pretty good is just icing on the cake.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
A bit of a ADTRW crosspost/bump but for anyone interested there's been a new manga adaptation of the original light novel All You Need Is Kill. The illustrator behind Death Note is involved and it looks fairly promising.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 14, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I kinda don't like it because Rita Vrataski looks like a 14 year old girl.

However, it's completely brutal. You see those spear bullets the Mimics spit out just liquefy civilians when they're hit by them and the Jackets don't really help that much against them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Those exo suits are really distracting. I hate them in Elysium and I'm glad they weren't in Starship Troopers.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

TheFallenEvincar posted:

A bit of a ADTRW crosspost/bump but for anyone interested there's been a new manga adaptation of the original light novel All You Need Is Kill. The illustrator behind Death Note is involved and it looks fairly promising.

The art is great right up until any female character is on panel. Then it is embarrassing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Squidster posted:

The art is great right up until any female character is on panel. Then it is embarrassing.
Yeah, I was sort of annoyed by how it couldn't escape the cliches of its medium (if you know what I'm trying to say) when I saw that stuff. It's so disjointed and awkward because you're in this gritty military story in a gritty military base and suddenly...anime girl chef and anime girl mechanic and it just doesn't really fit right. It doesn't even seem like they're being set up as romantic interests, they're just...there. Although I haven't read the original light novel so maybe it had that cornball sort of stuff in it too, I have to doubt it and just assume that's lame manga stuff they put in there because it's a manga. I'm kinda curious to find out how faithful the manga adaptation is and how faithful the American live-action adaptation ends up being, so I might just check out the light novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Bugblatter posted:

One of my favorite anecdotes about Tom Cruise is how Christian Bale supposedly found the character of Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. They had a character who outwardly had to be fairly charismatic, while still somehow showing that underneath he was a complete sociopath even when he was putting on his best charm. The story goes that one night Bale called the films director because he was watching Tom Cruise on some talk show, and he was doing his normal charismatic mannerisms and obviously knew all the right things to say and do to seem charming, but in any close up there was something off in the way his eyes didn't quite move right and you got this feeling that he "had no soul." Bale and the director decided that was the perfect way to go with their character.

Anyway, that's just a perfect way to describe Tom Cruise's performances as likeable protagonists. It makes him great for his roles in movies like Collateral, Magnolia, and War of the Worlds, but if we're supposed to think he's warm or good hearted there's a total disconnect.

Anyway, it doesn't diminish my interest in a fun adventure like this, where the entertainment is more likely to come from the thrill and adventure than from nuances emotional resonance. He does have intensity and looks great running on film.

I am not really sure where you get this impression from. He's very intense, even off screen, and half the time it seems like his emotions are something he needs to keep control of. He also seems like a very nice person.

• Locked thread