Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
General and Cage stuff:

Because if Cage actually had his rank and respect he could do something. Now he's been made to be a liar and a deserter and therefore he won't get any empathy or trust from the officers/soldiers. Now he's dumped to a place where grunts probably won't know him because they're too busy dying and not watching military PR for civilians and he can't contact anyone he knows because the comms are cut off at the frontline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If Cage could have "done something", then that itself is evidence that the whole thing was illegal. The general absolutely did not want Cage making any phone calls or have anyone take him seriously because the general had no grounds to treat him like that and Cage could have seriously hosed him over.

I know I sound nitpicky, but this a major plot point I'm discussing here, and it seriously bugged me. I enjoyed the movie from start to finish, but by the end of it I was nonetheless scratching my head saying "well what was that all about?"

I think I understand the purpose of this plot point. It is so that Cage is forced to work alone. Nobody trusts him except Vrataski, so he must become a one-man army, like the hero of a videogame who begins with nothing and has minimal support but unlimited lives. I suppose the writers couldn't find a better way to contrive this, so I guess I should just roll with it.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 2, 2014

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

If Cage could have "done something", then that itself is evidence that the whole thing was illegal. The general absolutely did not want Cage making any phone calls or have anyone take him seriously because the general had no grounds to treat him like that and Cage could have seriously hosed him over.

I know I sound nitpicky, but this a major plot point I'm discussing here, and it seriously bugged me. I enjoyed the movie from start to finish, but by the end of it I was nonetheless scratching my head saying "well what was that all about?"

I think I understand the purpose of this plot point. It is so that Cage is forced to work alone. Nobody trusts him except Vrataski, so he must become a one-man army, like the hero of a videogame who begins with nothing and has minimal support but unlimited lives. I suppose the writers couldn't find a better way to contrive this, so I guess I should just roll with it.

If a character pulling a dick move is really challenging your suspension of disbelief how are you handling the rest of the movie?

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Perhaps if we drum up enough support, we can get them to re-film the scenes to happen in a more realistic manner. Cage can go see General Brigham who will tell him that he has been reassigned to the front lines for PR purposes, and Cage can agree that its a great plan, and then he will go to Heathrow and meet J squad who are all sat the the barracks polishing their boots, doing gun maintenance and making sure that their bunks are tucked in properly to the regulation length with a ruler. They will have a civil discussion about the merits of having an untrained figurehead joining them on the front lines.

Then they will fly off to the front lines to fight the space monsters wearing their powered mech suits with huge swords and pile drivers.

If you start the petition on change.org, I will fire off some emails to the producers and studio heads. I will also see if I can get Tom Cruise on board, I am sure he will be sympathetic to the cause. Perhaps we can get Michael Bay involved so that we can get some real American Military hardware involved. We shall call it the Baron's Cut and its going to be awesome!

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

FiftySeven posted:

change.org,

Uh, send that poo poo through the White House instead :cmon:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Our RPX advance screening in Atlanta has been delayed by 40 min because the film server isn't communicating so they're rebooting it. drat you digital streaming! :argh:

edit: Just got back and really liked this film. It does the reboot thing much better than Source Code, and it's more internally consistent. It's too bad the movie won't make much money because of that stupid title, but it doesn't have much competition this week so maybe it'll be okay.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 3, 2014

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005
After we get that this movie's realistic edit done we should go after other ones.

Prime candidates: Burn After Reading and In the Army Now. The breach of protocol in those are astonishing.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
Is the original novel any good or is it just some text-anime? I was goaded into reading one of those in the past and would rather not do it again

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goatse.cx posted:

Is the original novel any good or is it just some text-anime? I was goaded into reading one of those in the past and would rather not do it again

It was surprisingly decent. Not very anime, other than Rita existing.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If a character pulling a dick move is really challenging your suspension of disbelief how are you handling the rest of the movie?
It didn't challenge my suspension of disbelief. It's one of the big mysteries of the film, and I thought Cage would eventually unravel some bizarre conspiracy. I carried this huge anticipation with no payoff.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 3, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is Baron Bifford a gimmick poster?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

It didn't challenge my suspension of disbelief. It's one of the big mysteries of the film, and I thought Cage would eventually unravel some bizarre conspiracy. I carried this huge anticipation with no payoff.

Then that's on you :shrug:

It's made quite clear that it's a throwaway to get the protagonist into a lovely situation, and sets up his redemption.

I would accept someone going "Huh, that's weird" and moving on, but to watch the entire film expecting a completely different plot? Jesus.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Baron Bifford posted:

1) The general has Major Cage beaten up, demoted, and tossed at the base with a fabricated background. This is incredibly disrespectful to a senior officer.

I wanted to go back to this because, having been in the army, it's such a funny point of view. To a general, a major is a coffee-fetching bitch. There are literally jobs for majors and even lieutenant colonels that are, essentially, being the general's coffee-fetching bitch 24-7. (aide-de-camp)

Plus there have been enough terrible generals throughout history that pretty much any level of assholery or stupidity from a general probably has a real-life counterpart.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sean10mm posted:

I wanted to go back to this because, having been in the army, it's such a funny point of view. To a general, a major is a coffee-fetching bitch. There are literally jobs for majors and even lieutenant colonels that are, essentially, being the general's coffee-fetching bitch 24-7. (aide-de-camp)

Plus there have been enough terrible generals throughout history that pretty much any level of assholery or stupidity from a general probably has a real-life counterpart.
If that doesn't put the matter to rest, then Baron Bifford really is nothing more than a troll.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I enjoyed it.

Ending made no loving sense to me though. How did he go back 2 days?

Was it because Omega juice is more potent than Alpha juice?

Is this a cuckold thing?

Edit: Also, the design of the Alpha's really reminds me of something else from a game/movie but I just can't put my finger on it.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

Edit: Also, the design of the Alpha's really reminds me of something else from a game/movie but I just can't put my finger on it.

The Ceph from Crysis

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Bolow posted:

The Ceph from Crysis

YES

Thank you. It was pissing me off that I couldn't place it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

WastedJoker posted:

Ending made no loving sense to me though. How did he go back 2 days?

Was it because Omega juice is more potent than Alpha juice?

Well, one thing I noticed is that Cage is always looped back to a moment when he is waking up from sleep (this is one of the reasons I thought the whole thing was a dream). Otherwise, there is really no sense to it.

I suppose that now, until he gets another blood transfusion, Cage now has time-manipulation powers again. I wonder if this will make him immortal after a fashion. When he dies of old age, will he be looped back into a young body at the moment he is flying into London? Good thing the aliens are all dead now.

Josh Lyman posted:

If that doesn't put the matter to rest, then Baron Bifford really is nothing more than a troll.
Well, there it is. Took only two pages this time.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 3, 2014

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only flaw of this movie is the generic title.
I think the ending was perfect and had it not been for the last twist it wouldn't have been as good.

If it simply ended with everyone dead then there would be no characters around that the audience cares about to witness the epilogue. And for a film that has a major plot twist every ten minutes it would have been very odd to simply continue with no more twists after Cage gets a blood transfusion.

I give this film props as a great time-travel movie as A: it doesn't leave you mulling over plot holes for hours after watching, and B: it doesn't forgo its premise and become cliched halfway-through like Looper.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's a good sci-fi movie because it explores the ramifications of advanced science.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

On the hot topic of this thread, I just listened to the Empire podcast where they interview Doug Liman, and he says they went back to do some extra takes and one of the things they did was change a line in the Gleeson scene which snowballed until, by the end, that whole scene is new Tom Cruise on greenscreen acting against the original Gleeson lines, so I dunno, if it confused you, maybe there's something in it. He didn't say what or why they changed.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 3, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I didn't see Tom Hanks in the movie. Can you link the podcast to me?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

I didn't see Tom Hanks in the movie. Can you link the podcast to me?

Oops.

http://www.empireonline.com/podcast/

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

It's a good sci-fi movie because it explores the ramifications of advanced science.

Yeah, just like Harry Potter is a great examination of the occult.

You do realize time-travel is not advance science right? It's a made up thing that is not real. Sorry to break this to you.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Seeing this tonight. The closest theatre has an 8pm and 10:15pm showing for some reason :woop:

Dogeatdog posted:

Yeah, just like Harry Potter is a great examination of the occult.

You do realize time-travel is not advance science right? It's a made up thing that is not real. Sorry to break this to you.

Cite your sources, thanks.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Cite your sources, thanks.

They already did, but then it got deleted because by posting their sources, they no longer needed to post their sources, the post got caught in a paradox and ceased to exist.

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004
This has a spoilers so dont read unless you have seen the movie.

This is fundementally a Sartreesque communist existentialist movie. The themes throughout the movie, can in a narrow view be discredited as fascist indoctrination, but its not. The soldiers represent the lower classes fighting an eternal unwinnable struggle against the replicants (representing global capital), an all consuming and unwinnable fight. The groundhog day gimmick that is applied to the tom cruise character, serves to make him a tool of the proletariat revolution. Unlike other war epics where the generic war torn lost couple is represented by an idealised Other (This Is Why We Fight) etc, but by a authentic, but deeply flawed and ultimately growing Other, Edge of tomorrow shows us the horrible former servant of capital, gradually presenting deconstructionist arguments for the pursuit of happiness within a liberal democratic society. “The struggle” in this movie represents the struggle for a fundamental meaning for your life beyond vulgar individualistic ones. It is only through sacrifice and the utilitarian greater good Tom Cruise can achieve catharsis.

In existentialist terms, in the start he lives only for himself not caring beyond the superficial about anything associated with “the end of the world”, the live die repeat sequences allows him to go through the “living for others” and “living in himself” phases and finally accepting balance everything when he loses the "power", rejecting nihilism. Embracing the transcendental liberation of his stiuation, through acceptnce of the greater good and social emancipation for all the peoples. His own personal victory is the global victory for all, in himself as an authentic human being and for himself as no longer a slave for any one of these categories. As soon as he sheds the machinery(war suit whatever) of bad faith, he is truly free together with his fellow (wo)man to shed all traces of the horrible past redeeming all past revolutions.

revolución
muerte
reptar

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mr. Flunchy posted:

They do address it. The General is a stubborn rear end in a top hat who doesn't like Tom Cruise's character. That is all the explanation needed.

There were at least two alternative reasons for Cage getting thrown in combat that were filmed and I've seen them. In one Jeremy Piven is a rival exec who railroads him. Thus the rumor that he was in this film. The general was also played by Game of Thrones and Rome alum Ciarán Hinds (Caeser, Mance Raider).

I think it's the weakest plot point in the movie. I truly miss having Piven in this because there's a great scene where he sees Piven later and knocks him out and says "It never gets old".

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

A fun little touch I realized halfway through watching this movie is that Emily Blunt's character shares the same name (Rita) as the Andie MacDowell character in Groundhog Day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hewlett posted:

A fun little touch I realized halfway through watching this movie is that Emily Blunt's character shares the same name (Rita) as the Andie MacDowell character in Groundhog Day.

That's actually her name in the Japanese version too. It's seemingly a complete coincidence. The original author was inspired by the idea of repeating a video game over and over until you get it right.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hewlett posted:

The character's name in the novel is Rita, but it was published in 2004 so it could be a reference to Groundhog Day.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

My point is that, whether or not it was intended, I found that a fun little parallel, especially since both leads spend a considerable amount of time using their time-loop gift to learn more about Rita and what she likes, and try to woo her with that information.

The scene in which Rita realizes that Cage has been taking her to this abandoned house to play husband and wife multiple times is treated with the appropriate level of discomfort and horror on her part.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

I don't think it was intended to be that creepy though but I do sort of wish the film had given a bit more time to the mental rigours Cage should suffer as a result of his constant rebirth.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

WastedJoker posted:

I don't think it was intended to be that creepy though but I do sort of wish the film had given a bit more time to the mental rigours Cage should suffer as a result of his constant rebirth.

Cage is a goon. Like any good goon, he would be creepy towards the girl and then try to ruin the game (blow up the SPOILER. Existential crises about constant resurrection and time travel wouldn't really figure.

Having said that, I actually saw it twice (fell asleep towards the end of the first showing as I was bone tired) and found it really good. Definitely up there with Pacific Rim and Frozen in terms of fun. Much better than the astounding constipated snore-fest that was Godzilla.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Regarding the "Why did the Omega decide to rewind time 2 days back?" "plot hole":

My take on it, especially after a second viewing, was that it was Cage who was in control. They explain throughout that the Omega controls time, that it can't find Cage directly - So they must lead him into a trap. Every time an Alpha/Cage dies and time is reset, it's due to the Omega not being able to distinguish Cage from the mimics.

Essentially, he absorbed the Alpha's blood and became an Alpha.

But then he absorbed the Omega's blood, and became the Omega - Acquiring the ability to control HOW time is reset, and not just WHEN.

It may not be the definitive answer, or what the writers intended, but it'll make me sleep a little better.

(If you lose sleep over something as trivial as this then please go outside more)

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 6, 2014

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

The demon from Princess Mononoke.
Matrix sentinels, kinda.

Bolocko fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 6, 2014

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Regarding the "Why did the Omega decide to rewind time 2 days back?" "plot hole":

My take on it, especially after a second viewing, was that it was Cage who was in control. They explain throughout that the Omega controls time, that it can't find Cage directly - So they must lead him into a trap. Every time an Alpha/Cage dies and time is reset, it's due to the Omega not being able to distinguish Cage from the mimics.

Essentially, he absorbed the Alpha's blood and became an Alpha.

But then he absorbed the Omega's blood, and became the Omega - Acquiring the ability to control HOW time is reset, and not just WHEN.

(If you lose sleep over something as trivial as this then please go outside more)

Could it be as simple as when he kills the Omega, it's still much earlier in the day than the beach assault (midnight?), so he goes back earlier than when he kills the Alpha later that morning. I don't think we're ever given the exact amount of hours he's sent back, just 'a day'.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In regards to the visions:

Cage goes to the dam in Germany and finds out that the Omega isn't there, only a trap. He loses his gun but he manages to drown himself. Had he not died would the mimics there have tainted his blood somehow to get rid his looping ability? Why else would they have pointed him in that direction with the visions?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In regards to the visions:

Cage goes to the dam in Germany and finds out that the Omega isn't there, only a trap. He loses his gun but he manages to drown himself. Had he not died would the mimics there have tainted his blood somehow to get rid his looping ability? Why else would they have pointed him in that direction with the visions?

I think if he bled out, there wouldn't be enough time travel power left in him by the time he died of blood loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Either way, Cage has time-control powers again at the end of the movie. I wonder what kind of man he will become.

• Locked thread