Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Todd McCarthy for The Hollywood Reporter posted:

In the annals of sequels, Dawn is to Rise of the Planet of the Apes what The Empire Strikes Back was to Star Wars — it’s that much better. A mainstream blockbuster with a lot on its mind, director Matt Reeves' synthesis of brains and brawn kicks it over the goalposts and out of the stadium.
Saw this on Monday, and of the critic reviews I've read this bit from McCarthy rings particularly true. The film is incredible, the best of the summer and easily a contender for best of the year. It's not just a remarkable entry in the series, but an outstanding achievement of cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Bolocko posted:

Saw this on Monday, and of the critic reviews I've read this bit from McCarthy rings particularly true. The film is incredible, the best of the summer and easily a contender for best of the year. It's not just a remarkable entry in the series, but an outstanding achievement of cinema.

Yeah, I've seen nothing but incredibly high praise for this. I absolutely loved Rise, so I'm beyond excited for this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I caught what I think is the newest trailer today when the ape kills the two people on guard duty and it loving chilled me to the bone. It's just done so nonchalantly and reminded me of something I saw on the news where *spoiling cause of context* a robber walks into a store and just loving shoots the cashier immediately.

I cannot wait - this movie is going to hit hard I think.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Vintersorg posted:

I caught what I think is the newest trailer today when the ape kills the two people on guard duty and it loving chilled me to the bone. It's just done so nonchalantly and reminded me of something I saw on the news where *spoiling cause of context* a robber walks into a store and just loving shoots the cashier immediately.

I cannot wait - this movie is going to hit hard I think.

I saw the trailer too a few days ago and yeah that part is really chilling. But I think it's really clear the ape doesn't shoot the other guard-dude, they just recycle the same gunfire soundbite and cut to black. There are other parts in the trailers as well where I think they are trying to make it seem something "actiony" or dramatic happens, when it clearly doesn't.
Still, the movie is looking really good and you can tell it's going to be more than your average summer blockbuster.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think this might be my most anticipated movie of the Summer!

Frkzd
Jun 9, 2014
Touching on the inconsistencies, I've learned to chalk it up to ever-shortening attention spans. This is a perfect example, but one of the better ones.

In the original(s), a spaceship mistakenly travels some thousands of years into the future where apes outlived humans and evolved naturally over time.

In Burton's "Shyamalaned" reboot, one man is thrust through time during a rescue while the rest of his ship crashed (both at the whim of a cosmic storm) with surviving crew and space-chimps. Ape evolution takes place between the crash and arrival on a planet that is not Earth.

In Rise, chimp intelligence is augmented for research and goes viral, accelerating both ape dominance and human eradication.

The only bad one? Burton's. Spare yourself.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

The Vice-affiliated YouTube channel Motherboard has teamed up with 20th Century Fox to produce this web series of three shorts fit within the ten years between 'Rise' and 'Dawn'. The shorts are set at the one, five, and ten-year intervals.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTlJK3kwZIbQJn1L-Z0oTqKxYDE0NmNwg

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Frkzd posted:

Touching on the inconsistencies, I've learned to chalk it up to ever-shortening attention spans. This is a perfect example, but one of the better ones.

In the original(s), a spaceship mistakenly travels some thousands of years into the future where apes outlived humans and evolved naturally over time.

In Burton's "Shyamalaned" reboot, one man is thrust through time during a rescue while the rest of his ship crashed (both at the whim of a cosmic storm) with surviving crew and space-chimps. Ape evolution takes place between the crash and arrival on a planet that is not Earth.

In Rise, chimp intelligence is augmented for research and goes viral, accelerating both ape dominance and human eradication.

The only bad one? Burton's. Spare yourself.

You do realize Burton's film ended pretty similar to the novel, right? So your order is all messed up, since the novel comes first. Shyamalaned?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

You do realize Burton's film ended pretty similar to the novel, right? So your order is all messed up, since the novel comes first. Shyamalaned?

I assume he's talking about the nonsensical "twist" at the end that the apes had a guy that for some reason looks exactly like Lincoln and they also made the exact same statue of him that we did.

I guess its not a proper term in this case because Shyamalan has a few of the most well-executed twists ever on his resume, and the twist in Planet of the Apes is a decent idea, only Burton hosed it up by shoehorning Lincoln in there. Stringing along the audience and executing the twist has never been Shymalan's problem.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It wasn't Lincoln, it was clearly General Thade.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It wasn't Lincoln, it was clearly General Thade.

It was Licolnafied Thade, who I guess went through the time tunnel (after Marky Mark) somehow and landed on earth, or something, and took it over in the past. Time somehow progressed in such a way that a statue that looks exactly like the Lincoln memorial was made to honor Thade, I guess.

The monkey makeup in the movie was good though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ape makeup, you racist.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
loving PC tumblr generation has made it so bad you can't say anything anymore

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Just so you know We Hate Movies are talking about Planet of Apes (2001)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Essentially, Sterling, etc. took a book with a bum bum bummmm surprise twist at the end, and instead revamped that into a more poignant social commentary, in which the twist organically perfectly matched the progression and themes of the film and provided a different perspective for the entire film on rewatch (Zaius was actually justified in his viewpoint, given that humanity's violent nature and destroying itself is what created the society as-is).

Since everyone already knew that twist when the movie was remade, they attempted to just do the original book twist with a few small changes (no robots, no disbelief from the apes, etc.) for the Burton movie instead.

However, as stated, it wasn't as good of a twist, so nobody liked it as much. It's just that 99% of people didn't really know it was based on the original.

Fun Burton connection fact, the ape planet in the book's sun was Betelgeuse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Darko posted:

Essentially, Sterling, etc. took a book with a bum bum bummmm surprise twist at the end, and instead revamped that into a more poignant social commentary, in which the twist organically perfectly matched the progression and themes of the film and provided a different perspective for the entire film on rewatch (Zaius was actually justified in his viewpoint, given that humanity's violent nature and destroying itself is what created the society as-is).

Since everyone already knew that twist when the movie was remade, they attempted to just do the original book twist with a few small changes (no robots, no disbelief from the apes, etc.) for the Burton movie instead.

However, as stated, it wasn't as good of a twist, so nobody liked it as much. It's just that 99% of people didn't really know it was based on the original.

Fun Burton connection fact, the ape planet in the book's sun was Betelgeuse.

Didn't the DVD also come with an insert that tried to explain it?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I still want to see an Apes movie that takes place in the kind of world that exists in the original book, where the ape society is just as technologically advanced as the present day. As lovely as the Tim Burton movie was, I still wish we could've had a sequel for that reason alone.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Diabolik900 posted:

I still want to see an Apes movie that takes place in the kind of world that exists in the original book, where the ape society is just as technologically advanced as the present day. As lovely as the Tim Burton movie was, I still wish we could've had a sequel for that reason alone.

It's coming if the positive reviews of this new one are any indication.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

never owned it, so I dunno!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Has anyone seen the poster that looks like a painting with the ape riding the horse in the water with the gun raised? It's a really cool poster and looks 70's as gently caress.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Szmitten posted:

Has anyone seen the poster that looks like a painting with the ape riding the horse in the water with the gun raised? It's a really cool poster and looks 70's as gently caress.

Yeah, it's the theatrical poster, from what I've seen at the ol' multiplex.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah, and it's got a featurette of Tim Burton being pissy about it, too.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

So excited to see this. Weekend can't come soon enough.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, it's the theatrical poster, from what I've seen at the ol' multiplex.

Yeah, it is. There's also a HUGE cardboard standee of it in our theater, it's fantastic.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
The thing that bothered me about Burtons PoTA is that Helena Bonham Carters' character looked like Michael loving Jackson.

Also, it was poo poo.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The original movie makes me wish Rod Serling had worked on more movies. Planet of the Apes is basically just a long, big budgeted Twilight Zone episode to begin with, and hits all the notes of classic sci fi that I love.

At the very least they could get Max Landis to do a Night Gallery adaptation.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

The original movie makes me wish Rod Serling had worked on more movies. Planet of the Apes is basically just a long, big budgeted Twilight Zone episode to begin with, and hits all the notes of classic sci fi that I love.

At the very least they could get Max Landis to do a Night Gallery adaptation.

You want a Landis to do another movie version of a tv show?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Holy poo poo watch this movie.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

It was Licolnafied Thade.
Aperaham Lincoln, please.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SwissCM posted:

Holy poo poo watch this movie.

That was all I needed to hear.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just when it seemed like blockbusters could never evolve, in rides this extraordinary epic — a towering fable of humanity and brutality that takes a great movie myth and launches it forward.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chimply magnificent.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Szmitten posted:

Got a bad feeling about that Metaphor Bridge.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
TV spots piqued my interest, anyone able to quickly answer whether I should bother watching the 2001 Apes beforehand as well as Rise, or only the latter?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Anae posted:

TV spots piqued my interest, anyone able to quickly answer whether I should bother watching the 2001 Apes beforehand as well as Rise, or only the latter?

Don't watch the 2001 POTA under any circumstances.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Don't watch the 2001 POTA under any circumstances.

Haha. Thanks for the decisive answer.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Anae posted:

Haha. Thanks for the decisive answer.

He's right, though.

Definitely watch Rise, though, it's awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I watched the original and its loving incredible. Are any of the sequels worth a watch?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bobkatt013 posted:

I watched the original and its loving incredible. Are any of the sequels worth a watch?

Kind of, but the only movie that's close to as good as the original is Rise. The sequels are good fun.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

The original sequels are varying degrees of fun, and I have a real fondness for them all, but they're definitely not at the same level as the original. I say watch them all, just don't expect to like them in the same way as the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes.

Beneath is a bit boring despite being so weird, but it does set-up the remainder of the films.

Escape is probably my favorite of the sequels. It's a really weird movie.

I'm not a huge fan of Conquest and Battle, but they are still pretty fun movies. They deviate from humans as animals to just a subjugated minority which I've never found that as interesting. They're analogues for Rise and Dawn, respectively. Battle definitely gives a definitive yet ambiguous ending for the series for what it's worth.

Back in the 90s, Sci/Fi aired all five movies over the course of five days. It might have been the most important week of my childhood. When Rises came up, my roommate hated it. And, yes, he's wrong. But he argued that my love for the movie stems from my nostalgia. My DVD collection built into a bust of Caesar made it hard to disagree with him.

• Locked thread