Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Just so you know We Hate Movies are talking about Planet of Apes (2001)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Darko posted:

Essentially, Sterling, etc. took a book with a bum bum bummmm surprise twist at the end, and instead revamped that into a more poignant social commentary, in which the twist organically perfectly matched the progression and themes of the film and provided a different perspective for the entire film on rewatch (Zaius was actually justified in his viewpoint, given that humanity's violent nature and destroying itself is what created the society as-is).

Since everyone already knew that twist when the movie was remade, they attempted to just do the original book twist with a few small changes (no robots, no disbelief from the apes, etc.) for the Burton movie instead.

However, as stated, it wasn't as good of a twist, so nobody liked it as much. It's just that 99% of people didn't really know it was based on the original.

Fun Burton connection fact, the ape planet in the book's sun was Betelgeuse.

Didn't the DVD also come with an insert that tried to explain it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

The original movie makes me wish Rod Serling had worked on more movies. Planet of the Apes is basically just a long, big budgeted Twilight Zone episode to begin with, and hits all the notes of classic sci fi that I love.

At the very least they could get Max Landis to do a Night Gallery adaptation.

You want a Landis to do another movie version of a tv show?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I watched the original and its loving incredible. Are any of the sequels worth a watch?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I demand musicals!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8BPv43vhE

• Locked thread