Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Speaking of, is there any reason why I shouldn't get this Blu-Ray set of the original five movies? It's only $32 on Amazon.

Absolutely not. The original is arguably worth that price on its own and I think Escape and Conquest (which I happen to be watching right now) are both very good. Beneath and Battle aren't without their charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TryAgainBragg posted:

Seriously, that ape is basically the star. drat dirty humans...

I loved the originals as a kid and feel the first 3 hold up well even with the time (1st one is just great,2nd is fun,strange 70's sci-fi and 3rd is still solid). The costuming and set design is also pretty great for the time, the ape costumes still get me.

The fourth one is way better than the second. The fifth is the only one that's really kinda bad in my opinion.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don't think anyone was a neurologist. Zira was an animal psychologist, and she worked with a surgeon named Galen. Cornelius was an archaeologist.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

You guys are pretty generous with the sequels, I feel like you can skip them really. The first one is such a great contained scifi story, I kind of like the idea of it unsullied. But I guess the second one has wacky atom bomb worshiping, which is always delightful.

It's kind of like loving both Rocky and Rocky IV. You can argue whether Rocky really deserved to win its best picture Oscar, but it was at least good enough to be nominated. Rocky IV on the other hand is a hell of a lot of fun, but nobody will seriously argue that it should have gotten an Oscar nomination.

The first Planet of the Apes is one of the great movies of all time, and the sequels are not. They're still great for what they are though: fun, somewhat kitschy sci-fi movies.

I admit I haven't really made this differentiation before in my posts though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I still want to see an Apes movie that takes place in the kind of world that exists in the original book, where the ape society is just as technologically advanced as the present day. As lovely as the Tim Burton movie was, I still wish we could've had a sequel for that reason alone.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I watched the original and its loving incredible. Are any of the sequels worth a watch?

The original sequels are varying degrees of fun, and I have a real fondness for them all, but they're definitely not at the same level as the original. I say watch them all, just don't expect to like them in the same way as the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

A lot of the character names, especially for the apes, were references to actors or characters from the first movie. It's been a while since I've seen it though, so I don't remember how many of the names are actually stated in the film.

• Locked thread