Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Drunkboxer posted:

So you built a bust out of dvds?

edit: never mind, it's a box set I googled it.

I just assumed Timeless Appeal was a chick and his roommate wouldn't take her seriously because tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, a kid that had to live with the death of almost everyone he's ever known and an awful post-apocalypse society would be a normally adjusted eighteen year old. Beep bop what are these things you call emotions?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

penismightier posted:

Well, the Mongol Empire for one, but jesus you people zero in on the stupidest poo poo. I'm not saying the kid should've been married, I'm pointing out that he's old enough tob e reasonably responsible and self-reliant in a day-to-day way. This means that his father - unlike Rick in the Walking Dead or the man in The Road - doesn't have to physically protect him, and that's the sole function he seems to present for the story. He has no responsibility but isn't a liability either, so he has no worth to the story. This half-assed sense of him representing a more gentler way of communicating with the apes is nullified because his father is doing the exact same thing at the exact same time.

I don't really think that's realistic since the society he was born in (modern US) doesn't treat people like real adults until they are halfway through their twenties. If that society were to collapse, do you really think the teenage children of the modern helicopter parents would be stepping up as adults? Try telling an American teenager they can't use their cellphone for a weekend and see how that goes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ghostwritingduck posted:

The humans that survived didn't survive because they were the most bad rear end. The humans that survived were genetically immune to the disease that killed everyone.

Exactly. Yeah, there was bad poo poo that happened after the plague, but we're never led to think that it was some sort of libertarian social darwinist setting or something like that. 1 in 500 survived the plague, more were killed during the infighting that followed, and now you've got small pockets of survivors. I really don't see his character at odds with that. We're only given the tiniest glimpse of human society in the movie and we do see children. We also see that for a population that small, there are still plenty of grown ups to do important stuff and work that teenagers don't necessarily need to step up and live as adults. Given a few more generations of survival then yeah, you're likely to see the society shift into something that veers away with 20th century ideas of adolescence.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'm not sure exactly how SMG is using the concept but I think the whole idea of being radically Christian is that loving your enemies, turning the other cheek, and all that is radical and counter-intuitive.

One thing to remember when invoking "turn the other cheek" is that it's not a mealy mouthed embrace of pacifism, in its context it's also a way of saying "gently caress you" to the person who struck you. It's an act of resistance, not of passivity.

• Locked thread