Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Doesn't the Icarus mission unleash the pandemic?

Corek posted:

Don't forget that Matt Reeves, director of Cloverfield and Let Me In, is directing this movie.

I only hope that a reference to "ape-mixing" is made in this movie, to drive the metaphor in.

Definitely made me sit up and pay attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
At least watch the first.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Soulwrangler posted:

In the original novel isn't the ape planet fully advanced? Driving cars, broadcast media, etc. Sounds like a possible third film might be the closest to the original source material yet considering humanity has died out due to disease and not nuclear annihilation-- leaving behind their infrastructure.

Boulle's novel is less a sci-fi setting and more like philosophical literature. From what I remember, it's just modern day with apes and humans transposed, like War With The Newts or something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hand of the King posted:

Maybe this was answered in the first movie, but how can humans not win this war with their technology? Besides "it's a movie" as the answer, was there something more fitting provided?

What are you referring to? The war in the trailer?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hand of the King posted:

poo poo. I am way confused. I thought there was just one virus (just that made the apes intelligent). I'm guessing there are two? One that enhanced the apes and another that kills humanity?

But regardless, yes, with regard to the war in the trailer, I guess it's just hard for me to believe humans lose this unless like 90% of the population was wiped out. I didn't even think the apes could reproduce that fast.

That is precisely what happens at the end of Rise. They point it out in the trailer, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I guess I'm being disingenuous as it actually happened in the credits. But this trailer says it in no uncertain terms.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The first one is a really fine movie if only for Zaius.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I remember being kind of taken aback that Zaius sort of has a legitimate beef against Taylor, even if none of it is his fault.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And the "hero" apes are awfully condescending to Taylor. Rod Serling was a bright guy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It wasn't Lincoln, it was clearly General Thade.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Szmitten posted:

Has anyone seen the poster that looks like a painting with the ape riding the horse in the water with the gun raised? It's a really cool poster and looks 70's as gently caress.

Yeah, it's the theatrical poster, from what I've seen at the ol' multiplex.

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't the DVD also come with an insert that tried to explain it?

Yeah, and it's got a featurette of Tim Burton being pissy about it, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Anae posted:

TV spots piqued my interest, anyone able to quickly answer whether I should bother watching the 2001 Apes beforehand as well as Rise, or only the latter?

Don't watch the 2001 POTA under any circumstances.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bobkatt013 posted:

I watched the original and its loving incredible. Are any of the sequels worth a watch?

Kind of, but the only movie that's close to as good as the original is Rise. The sequels are good fun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My dad's favorite two sci-fi movies from the past few years are Prometheus and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and this has brought us closer as father and son.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He likes every sci-fi movie, I should have hedged.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Are we so cynical that this is what passes for "great filmmaking" now? Any blockbuster that gets the slightest rise of emotion out of us? This film is really getting way overrated. There isn't a moment in it that you won't predict and the whole thing is very by-the-numbers. There are a few scenes which are above average but it's mostly bland and forced. Many of the scenes are TV-movie level.

Isn't that the opposite of cynical? Or just the inappropriate word. I would say that predicting what will happen next in films and TV shows is far more jaded.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's a joke that suffers in the telling.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm automatically skeptical of any claims made in that because it's from Cartoon Brew.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't mind any of that because this is a two hour movie about ape pantomime.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Kodi Smit-McPhee is totally buyable as a sensitive young lad. Since Man of Steel I've been noticing how much poo poo would be improved with no dialogue. I almost wish there was more pantomime in the human scenes, since it's done so well with the ape stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
See, I never thought he was supposed to be like six years old. Like the chimp with the gorgeous blue eyes, I thought he was just meant to be frail and untested. They lay it on a little thick by introducing him as sensitive and artistic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Even Blue-Eyes had buddies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I almost feel like they were queering the character a bit, as if to remind you that youth subcultures still exist, or something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How do you go from not having an inkling whatsoever what to expect about a movie called Dawn of the Planet of the Apes to posting in its dedicated thread on the SomethingAwful forum?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I can't really add anything to that except that you edited your post to mention that you're an idiot, and you pounded a few.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I just can't ever buy the premise that someone is normal and cool when they paid money to post on a message board to style on nerds.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Things happen in movies that don't happen in real life? Pass me some of that good poo poo brah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

All else aside, regarding outgroups as animals is hardly a novel idea when they are human, let alone when they aren't.

Even better, Caesar himself says as much at the end, but the shift is sympathetic. This kind of outgrouping is inevitable when someone goes beyond the pale.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lord Krangdar posted:

I said I saw more thematic parallels to Deep Space 9, but now I see more where you're coming from with the TPM comparisons.

It was hard to tell whether Koba was actually motivated by distrust for humans, or he was just using that as a pre-text for a coup that he would have attemped whether they had encountered the humans or not.

Koba has a parallel human character, whose prejudice was borne out of past traumatic experiences. You could be right about the second thing, but it's much more about that pretext.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What I don't get is how exactly it isn't funny that Caesar has to collect himself and be upright and dignified because he couldn't help chimping out.

• Locked thread