Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
So I just got back from a double feature of Rise/Dawn and now I have every feeling. Dawn was just such good film-making front to back, but my one gripe would be that the plot really moves very little. If you've seen the trailer, you know the entirety of the plot. I enjoyed all 170 minutes but it was pretty frustrating to realize that I'll have to wait at least a year to see the plot thread of the new timeline actually advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
I know the discussion on this topic was a few posts back, but there actually is a little backstory on whether or not people know the apes are intelligent. The sequel/prequel novel Firestorm is set immediately after Rise, and it essentially deals with a coverup of the events of the movie. The general public knows that the apes broke out and escaped into the Redwoods but the details of the ALZ treatment and the apes' organized behavior is intentionally hushed. Gen-Sys hires a PMC to kill the apes off before the details can go public, but the flu takes hold within a matter of a couple weeks as I recall, so that pretty much takes precedence. That book also has some dynamite Koba backstory. Worth a read.

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
http://io9.com/planet-of-the-apes-director-reveals-whats-next-for-the-1605444982

...In really ambiguous terms. But still. I like the mention of a "generational story" cause I really want a good sized jump ahead in the timeline for the next one.

• Locked thread