Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

While I haven't seen the movie, I do know that Matt Reeves ended up re-shaping the ending of the movie, so perhaps what you are talking about was from that section. It's also not rare for things in trailers to not show up at all.

Huh, definitely looks like Reeves had the military actually arriving in the end of a previous version of the movie, even if it was only shown briefly to build up to the major war in the third film. That certainly would've changed the feel of the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Are we so cynical that this is what passes for "great filmmaking" now? Any blockbuster that gets the slightest rise of emotion out of us? This film is really getting way overrated. There isn't a moment in it that you won't predict and the whole thing is very by-the-numbers. There are a few scenes which are above average but it's mostly bland and forced. Many of the scenes are TV-movie level.

I agree to a certain extent, but I think it is so highly rated because it's a rare example of a summer blockbuster that excels at what it is trying to do. That being said, I have a few problems with it. Let me preface the following comments by saying that I really enjoyed the movie.

This is basically one movie comprised of two very different stories: a restrained, slow-build film about the contact between the humans and the apes and the diplomacy involved, and then a campy action movie. I actually found pretty discordant, because you're watching these measured, skilfully-arranged scenes dealing with the fragile creation of trust and filled with emotion and reflection, and then you get moments like Koba single-handedly taking down the human defences with two M-16s on horseback and everything devolves into stupid setups like the C-4 plot and Caesar confronting Koba on top of a tower a day after being shot.

On the emotion front, I thought that a lot of it was fairly by the numbers, and I think that they actually missed a lot of opportunities to make more of an impact on the audience. For instance, when Keri Russel's (who was terrible, by the way) character goes to give human medicine to Caesar's wife, why isn't this turned into a bigger issue for the apes, most of whom were subjected to medical testing by the humans? That would fit perfectly into the themes of building trust between two groups which distrust each other because of perceived past wrongs. Koba in particular goes from being a character whose past is barely touched upon but who is ripe for exploration into a cookie-cutter villain in the transition between the two halves.

By the way, this movie does have some great shots. The one that stands out for me now is the rotating shot from the APC during the assault on the human colony.

• Locked thread