Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ape makeup, you racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just got my ticket for after work, pretty drat pumped. First movie that I've bothered to see immediately in ages.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

One touch that I really liked is that Caesar is walking more erect as the film goes on. I first noticed it when he enters a room out of focus, and it was hard to tell if it was a human or ape.

When he had Koba grab his arm on the mountain was the first time I noticed it. The divide got more obvious as the film went on.

Did anyone else love Blue Eyes performance as much as I did? I felt like everything he did was very subtle but extremely effective. He did so little physically, but got so much across. I hope they get the actor back for the sequel.

Speaking of sequel, what does everyone want to see? I'd love if they fast forwarded 50 or 100 years just for the sake of starting to make it even more sci-fi and hurtling the story forward, but I think we've built up too good of characters with Caesar and Blue Eyes, and I'd love to see Greer get something to do in the sequel. Caesar at the end of his reign, being overthrown by a generation of apes who are totally disconnected from the world before the virus would be excellent. Seeing the beginning of man's enslavement, and maybe seeing what other human survivors have been up to would be really fun. Since an Apes movie generally covers some real world social commentary, I'd love to see war-torn Africa tackled. Small communal tribes with far too many guns and too much to lose battling over a wasteland in hopes of attaining peace, power, and prosperity? Yes please. Bonus points for starting to segregate the Apes from each other. I felt we got a hint of that with the Gorillas all living in one area.

e: Also, one last thing: was anyone else BLOWN AWAY by how amazing Maurice always looked? I can honestly say, that's the first time that a 100% CGI creature has every fully, absolutely tricked my brain into thinking it was real. Caesar and Koba both had a few shots that were on the edge, but every time Maurice was on screen I was absolutely fooled.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 12, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Another kinda-spergy thing that slightly bugged me. Not spoilering it because it's mentioned early in the film:

Assuming the world's population is about 7,250,000,000 (I used the approximate data from this pretty interesting site) and the 1-in-500-is-immune-to-the-Simian-Flu thing mentioned early in the picture, there's about 14,500,000 million immune humans in the world. Even counting unseen inter-human conflicts, that's an awful amount of immune humans walking around capable of making more immune humans.

Nope. Immune humans don't make more immune humans. That's why Keri Russel's daughter died. I feel like that subplot was created to directly address your issue.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

In terms of ape segregation, I really liked how Maurice foreshadows the orangutans becoming the intellectual elite of the apes. I also think they had an interesting take on the gorillas as military. In the original film, the gorillas were usually depicted as brutish. But in this film, the gorillas are very much depicted as defenders. There is that one little bit where the gorilla is just trying to carry as many chimps as he can. It's seems to paint the gorillas as not using their size and strength to be brutes, but seeing a responsibility in their size and strength to act as defenders.

Yeah, I love the way these films have reacted to our understanding of actual ape behavior.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Great interview with the screenwriter here http://www.theqandapodcast.com/2014/07/dawn-of-planet-of-apes-q.html

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You don't understand jokes

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

e: To be honest I'm more worried that they'll try to pull a "Koba didn't really die after all!" in the next movie, given that they devoted so much time to him ping-ponging around into things that may somehow break his fall.

In that interview I linked above, the co-writer of the film (and of the next film) definitively said that he thought of Koba as dead after the fall, shooting down the interviewer when he suggested it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wildeyes posted:

On another note, god, Rise and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes...it's a chore to keep these names straight.

Can't wait for Beginning of the Planet of the Apes, then Birth of the Planet of the Apes, then Genesis of the Planet of the Apes, and some day hopefully Commencement of the Planet of the Apes.

e: Actually, Genesis of the Planet of the Apes would be rad if Caesar became a religious figure in the future.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Really enjoyed this Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith episode with Matt Reeves. A great followup to the previous episode I posted with the writer.

• Locked thread