Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'm sad that in the New N Tasty footage I saw they "updated" the dialogue. Just give me back my "Hello" and "OK." :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Nyagato posted:

I got this as a kid with an extra memory card just to have saves for this game. I really really sucked at the puzzles so it took me several years of putting the game on and putting it back in the closet before I even got to the temples. The last time I played it I muscled through the temples because I wanted the shrykull and thought the game would become easier from there. When I understood that was absolutely not the case I was just super burnt out.
I do love the atmosphere and the story and the humor though so I'm really happy to be able to watch this now. Also I'm happy to not be the one to play because games like this are really not for me.
Will probably buy new and tasty to support odd world developers though.

So yeah really thanks for letting me experience this while not having to play the game.

Did you ever try the sequel?

The ability to quick save and order more than one Mudokon around at a time make the game FAR more accessible for your average player, and from what i've read New 'n' Tasty adds both of these. To the point that I bought both Oddworld PS1 Classics a few months ago and marathoned through the sequel and had a great time, but refuse to even touch the original due to its checkpoints being so few and far between and the PS3 controller being far worse than I remember the PS1 controller being.

The idea of having to spend hours on a single area to rescue everyone because a single mistake can wipe away all your work on previous secret areas doesn't seem like a fun and worthwhile idea, so i'm greatly looking forward to picking up New 'n' Tasty on the Wii U.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So much hype for new and tasty. One of my most anticipated games this year.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I'm very excited for New N' Tasty to come out, but I have a big concern with how the gameplay will feel. Going off the newest gameplay video, it looks a lot more loose than the original does. Now, Abe's Oddysee isn't some super fast and tight platformer, but it's just enough that most of everything feels fluid and responsive. I don't get that impression from these trailers.

Also I don't really like how it looks in the unity engine.

quote:

I'm sad that in the New N Tasty footage I saw they "updated" the dialogue. Just give me back my "Hello" and "OK."

ALSO THIS.

I'm just an old-guard grumpus, really (as well as someone who still hasn't gotten over the disaster that was the oddbox steam release). I'll buy it either way and I'm sure once I play it my fears will be proven completely unfounded! :v:

quote:

One of my most anticipated games this year.

I'm so used to the game being pushed back that if it gets released this year I'll be shocked.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

With the trophies and the american release price sorted, I don't think it's too far off.

Last I heard they were looking at announcing its release date before E3, but they are rapidly running out of time for that to happen, so I assume its something we'll hear about at E3. Really, the biggest letdown by all the delays is that it means by the time it releases and they eventually meet their sales goals to greenlight Exoddus, if that happens, with the likely development time it will take, we'll almost be due for new consoles by the time it releases.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, they're really making you trot these Mudokons through a gauntlet.

At least you're most of the way through saving them.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Bonus: Gameboy

This is Oddworld Adventures. Originally I was going to have a series of bonus videos, in which I was going to play through it and beat it. Much like the Kill All Run, this did not work out. It did not work out because I have had negative fun playing this game. No one has anything to say about Oddworld Adventures. The artbook that I get all my quotes and fun facts from doesn't mention the game once. This is what the oddworld wiki has:

quote:

Oddworld Adventures is a video game created in 1998 for the Game Boy by Oddworld Inhabitants, GT Interactive and Saffire. The game is a port of Abe's Oddysee, but due to the Game Boy's limitations, the game is much shorter and lacks some detail. Unlike Abe's Oddysee, the game begins from the wilderness, leaving the introductory RuptureFarms area absent from the game.

Also for whatever reason my usual editing programs would refuse to work with this video so I had to use some worse than usual encoding methods to get things done, which is what lead to the very low resolution.

Bad News Friends: It looks like my run has been bugged. You might remember in the first Rupture Farms return video I talk about how there's one less secret room because a pully is missing. Well, that pully is supposed to be there, and without it I can't save the 2 mudokons that are trapped under. Not only that, but there is a pully missing in the final area of the game. Without it, I can't go to the final screen and beat the game. This is primarily why it has taken even longer than usual to get an update up. I am working for a fix, and will do my best to right the wrongs of technology. Please Understand.

Metroixer fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 6, 2014

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is what you're saying that the Kill Em All run has been discontinued?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

SirSamVimes posted:

Is what you're saying that the Kill Em All run has been discontinued?

Sounds like you should drop the Save All run since it's bugged and marathon the Kill All Run just to get to the end.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Your commentary is... just great. :allears: You have a real knack for it.

I've always admired this series from a distance but never really played it as much as I should have. Thanks for the enjoyable LP!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
How is the remake supposed to work without screen transitions? Those are pretty fundamental to gameplay is several ways.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Clarste posted:

How is the remake supposed to work without screen transitions? Those are pretty fundamental to gameplay is several ways.

I think they've altered the game for those areas, like a Slig will just go back to sleep after ~30 seconds of not seeing anything rather then resetting back to sleep on the screen transition.

I'm excited for the remake, I loved the original 2 and the Oddworld mythos in general.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Metroixer posted:

Bad News Friends: It looks like my run has been bugged. You might remember in the first Rupture Farms return video I talk about how there's one less secret room because a pully is missing. Well, that pully is supposed to be there, and without it I can't save the 2 mudokons that are trapped under. Not only that, but there is a pully missing in the final area of the game. Without it, I can't go to the final screen and beat the game. This is primarily why it has taken even longer than usual to get an update up. I am working for a fix, and will do my best to right the wrongs of technology. Please Understand.

I totally understand; tech problems suck.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
"Monthly" is a good video posting schedule, yeah?

13: the purple one

(pictured above: a young lorne lanning)

quote:

The original concept for the Industrialist's main facility was a Glukkon cathedral of sorts. The sketches on this page show the early exploration of the cathedral. The slaughterhouse concept was a perfect factory franchise for the Magog Cartel. The factory polluters the air, water and land... a small price to pay for the sake of profits.

Glukkon technology embraces everything that is new, cheap, fast, and dirty, resulting in a smoke-belching sprawl reminiscent of the worst that the industrial slums of 19th century Earth had to offer. Glukkon communications technology is slightly more advanced, including radio transmission and primitive television.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Monthly updates are better than no updates!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The video looks like it's limited to 240p.

E: And now it's fixed. :iiam:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 13, 2014

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

The video looks like it's limited to 240p.

It looks like it to me.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
PSN just livestreamed a bunch of New N' Tasty footage, with some commentary by 2 of the developers. I have some stupid subjective problems (the lines in the opening cutscene are weirdly delivered! scrabs in gameplay look mushed together!) but I'm very optmistic after seeing this. The gameplay worries I talked about earlier in the thread have gone away, it looks like a great game and I would like to steal someone's PS4 so I can play on launch day.

http://www.twitch.tv/psnation/b/548200332

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm not a fan of the new chanting animation, but aside from that and a few other minor animation quibbles I am really really excited about this.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm also not a fan of the new chanting animation, and by extension, think the general animation of the mudonkons in the game looks janky and a bit off, but the game is probably a higher FPS than the original, so it's probably a mix of that and the new more side on camera angles.

Generally interested on seeing how they've changed the layout of the game to work in it's new format. The Free Fire zone for example has been pretty substantially changed and generally feels like an area with a completely different tone now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How do you tell the difference between Slig-friendly Slogs and Slig-hating Slogs?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
You die.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Just like in real life with dogs! :D

So glad to see you back with this Metro, I was missing this and had to rewatch the last few vids just to remember everything. I never saw the Shrykhull before and holy drat that looks awesome.
I did not know that Abe had a different laugh for indicating you got a good ending coming up, that's a kinda neat detail for sure.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
New N Tasty is out on PSN in America today, everywhere else in the world tomorrow. PS4 only atm, so if you have a PS4 check it out. I don't have a PS4, I have a dead laptop and an entire game to replay through in order to record the footage for the final stages for the 4th time hahahahaaahaah :sweep:

Metroixer fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 22, 2014

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Bad luck man.
May your run be smooth.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So there's something pretty drat interesting about the remake, but I don't exactly want to spoil it, and i'm not entirely sure how it works to be honest.

Watching a Twitch stream of it at the moment. Game looks so good. Can't wait for the Wii U release even though it's likely to be several months off. Probably next year.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 22, 2014

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wait, it IS coming out for personal computers too, right? Eventually?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ditocoaf posted:

Wait, it IS coming out for personal computers too, right? Eventually?

I think it's due for PC, and maybe Wii U/Xbox eventually? It's only PS4 today and PS3/Vita soon. It's cross buy so you get the all 3 versions versions when you buy it which is awesome.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

New n Tasty is everything I could have dreamed of. :allears:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It's weird that the thread hasn't been updated yet, but those interested should probably check out his youtube channel.

Also nice job on the LP dude. Sucks you had so many technical issues, but it was rather enjoyable to watch. Looking forward to the next LP, since I still think it's the better game.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I didn't forget anything! My youtube subscribers just have added benefits, like complementary scrab legs and their own pet fleech.

14: Finale!

14: Finale?

quote:

One of the things that made Abe's Oddysee nique was the cosmis law of Quarma. Because of Quarma, the actions of the player determine the outcome of the game. In this case, either a good ending or a bad ending is a result. Believe it or not, some sick minded individuals actually play the entire game through killing all of Abe's buddies just to see what happens at the end. Let's just say they'll get theirs. Of course, those angelic souls that save all 99 mudokons get the "Good Ending."
(the good ending cutscene is the same whether you got 99 or 98)

That's it! That is Oddworld Abe's Oddysee. I hope you enjoyed exploring the depths of this world. Join me again in Oddworld Abe's Exoddus: a game that is 3 times bigger, and will take my 3 times longer to finish.

If you like this game from what you saw, give New N Tasty a shot! I got to play it myself a week ago, and while I have a million complaints, they are complaints derived from the fact that I can play Oddysee with my eyes closed. Normal people will enjoy it just fine (and it's still hard, even with quicksave. I did play on Hard mode though ;) )

quote:

Looking forward to the next LP, I still think it's the better game.

thats because its the best game ever made

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Metroixer posted:

thats because its the best game ever made
Until they give it the New 'n' Tasty treatment. Of which i'm sure will have like 900 mudokons to save or something silly.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I never saw the Black Ending text before, it was funny seeing the text for that one. I can't wait for Exoddus! While it's not as somber, the lighter mood doesn't hurt it, plus it's tons of fun!

I remember seeing this weird "Guardian Angel" cutscene when I used an "Unlock All Cutscenes" cheat. I don't think I saw it when you scrolled through all the cutscenes unless I missed it or it isn't in the PC version.

Also I loved how in the Kill 'Em All video, the Scrab keeps whiffing its charges on the Mudokon until it just gives up and kicks him in the shin. :haw:

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 15, 2014

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Fun fact with the last little slog section, where you have to turn around constantly to get them all: if you keep your rhythm up the last one doesn't trip you up. There's basically one slog release missing. Bonus: the slog kill sections are not in fact fun, especially for anyone who likes dogs.

Good show on this one, brought back good memories! Looking forward to Exoddus as well.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Zeikier posted:

I remember seeing this weird "Guardian Angel" cutscene when I used an "Unlock All Cutscenes" cheat. I don't think I saw it when you scrolled through all the cutscenes unless I missed it or it isn't in the PC version.

That's not a cutscene, that's an old commercial for the game.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Very glad to see the end of this, that was a fun ride and thank you so much for taking us along with it :) I liked this game a lot so it always mystified me for its bizarreness. Finally glad to see the end.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oddworld is a pretty nice place to visit. Thanks for the guided tour!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

This game was like nothing else out there in '97. I played it first on a Playstation Underground demo CD (1997 was such a good year for PS1), and I think this and Castlevania SOTN were the two games which convinced me that Sony was willing to publish games that other platforms didn't care about at the time. It's nice that Sony's PS4 publishing mindset seems like a return to the PS1 glorydays.

Anyways, I loved the dark humor, the gamespeak, and the massive amounts of quality FMV. Odyssey was pretty loving frustrating though, which is why I prefer Exodus (most people do), but the series really burned it's bridges with Munch, I think. I remember that Munch became an Xbox exclusive after OI went on record saying the PS2 was garbage to program for, but I really think that had the devs stuck with Sony through the first year or so rather than aborting the series would have continued down the fantastic puzzle path rather than becoming a generic action-platform sinkhole.

I never played Stranger, but I remember that Microsoft was adamant that it should have a menacing word like 'Wrath' in the title in order to convince people to buy more copies.

Anyways, Abe rocks. Too bad they changed his voice in the second game.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

For anyone wondering about the remake, here's a video covering a lot of complaints I've heard about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkhDrngAQZ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

drat, gotta say, the remake looks shittay.

• Locked thread