Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

On the "super serum" news, doctors in Liberia will now recieve the treatment as well, and the Spanish doctor who received it has died.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/08/12/infected-liberia-doctors-to-receive-experimental-ebola-drug-treatment/

Hopefully this does something to quell the understandable unrest of only white first worlders getting the treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

1,975 cases, 1,069 deaths as of the 11th.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In tangentially related news, Nigeria has sacked all 18,000 resident doctors due to an ongoing doctor's strike despite Ebola's arrival, which has now claimed 11 cases and 4 deaths with concern that one of the nurses who treated Sawyer escaped quarantine and may have brought the disease to Enugu, just north of the major oil-producing region of the Niger River delta. Ratings agency Moody's has speculated that any significant spread in Nigeria could result in the evacuation of oil company international staff and the shut down of most local operations, severely impacting the Nigerian (and, implicitly, world) economy.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
The WHO is publicly agreeing with other organisations now that the actual number of Ebola cases is "vastly underestimated".

MSF is also saying that its about 6 months before the disease can be brought under control. Although if it does take hold in Nigeria as is now a possibility due to the quarantine failures, then it might be an ongoing issue for at least West Africa for next few years.

ukle fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 15, 2014

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
In a bit of :unsmith: news, it turns out the two cases of ebola in Benin weren't actually Ebola. They ended up being bad cases of malaria and severe diarrhea, not hemorrhagic fever. So Benin is safe so far!

Assuming that Nigeria can get their poo poo together, that is.

We're doomed :smithicide:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

1,975 cases, 1,069 deaths as of the 11th.

Come on, it's not that bad

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Slaan posted:

In a bit of :unsmith: news, it turns out the two cases of ebola in Benin weren't actually Ebola. They ended up being bad cases of malaria and severe diarrhea, not hemorrhagic fever. So Benin is safe so far!

Assuming that Nigeria can get their poo poo together, that is.

We're doomed :smithicide:

Sub-Saharan Africa: Hooray! It's only malaria!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

And remember that we're very probably undercounting how many cases there are, so this is probably underestimating how fast it will spread

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And remember that we're very probably undercounting how many cases there are, so this is probably underestimating how fast it will spread

No, this graph looks a lot like ridiculous extrapolation. The day before yesterday it was 28 degrees Celsius outside, yesterday 26 and today 22 degrees. Using my handy dandy graph I have established that we will reach absolute zero (-273 degrees Celsius) in 8 days.

The current conditions in west Africa, namely the the distrust of western clinicians and the traditional handling of sickness and death combined make a fertile breeding ground for human ebola infections. Increased awareness and education will at a minimum greatly reduce the new cases rate in the coming six months. I am curious though about the source of that graph.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno, I just found it in some thread. But it's clearly just the same thing as the previous graph, just on log scale and with the trend plotted, not using any kind of sophisticated model. I mainly posted it because the already historical data there look scary that way too.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

mobby_6kl posted:

Dunno, I just found it in some thread. But it's clearly just the same thing as the previous graph, just on log scale and with the trend plotted, not using any kind of sophisticated model. I mainly posted it because the already historical data there look scary that way too.

An exponential model is unrealistic. Even in the worst case, there'll be sigmoid growth with a limit of 7 billion, because at that point everyone has died.

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012
Is there a graph of hospitals reaching capacity/closing over the same time period?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I read an estimate somewhere that around 3-4 times the number of people are dying of untreated malaria, child birth, diarrheal diseases, etc. than normal in the most impacted regions because of the ebola outbreak. Medical personnel are too scared/resource deprived to work, and people aren't going to hospitals because they are afraid doctors are giving people ebola.

Randandal posted:

Sub-Saharan Africa: Hooray! It's only malaria!

More of a Sub-Saharan Africa: Hooray! They only died of Malaria! Because they didn't survive their diseases. :(

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Slaan posted:

I read an estimate somewhere that around 3-4 times the number of people are dying of untreated malaria, child birth, diarrheal diseases, etc. than normal in the most impacted regions because of the ebola outbreak. Medical personnel are too scared/resource deprived to work, and people aren't going to hospitals because they are afraid doctors are giving people ebola.

More of a Sub-Saharan Africa: Hooray! They only died of Malaria! Because they didn't survive their diseases. :(

Sub-Saharan Africa: Dying of Malaria's not the worst thing here!

Although of course I will grant you that some people are avoiding hospitals because they're afraid doctors are actively spreading Ebola, I think the more widespread and understandable fear is that if doctors are (accidentally or negligently) catching Ebola in the hospitals, then anybody going to a hospital in West Africa could accidentally catch Ebola just as easily as you could catch MRSA in a hospital in the Western World - which is a legitimate fear for anybody in the world, I think.

Either way, the end result of 3-4 times the usual number of deaths for things normally treated in hospitals is probably a phenomenally higher number of deaths due to the presence of Ebola than the actual Ebola infection was caused.

Randandal fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 15, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Newsweek is reporting on 5 suspect cases among immigrants in Albania and 1 in Montenegro. It's very improbable that the 5 actually have Ebola (they came from Eritrea which is on the opposite side of the continent so it's unclear how they would have caught it), but the Montenegrin case is slightly more probable as the individual in question came from an infected country.

It is worth remembering, however, that all of the suspect cases observed outside of Africa so far have been negative.

EDIT: Including a recent suspected case of a Sierra Leonan detainee in Britain.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 16, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

No, this graph looks a lot like ridiculous extrapolation. The day before yesterday it was 28 degrees Celsius outside, yesterday 26 and today 22 degrees. Using my handy dandy graph I have established that we will reach absolute zero (-273 degrees Celsius) in 8 days.

The current conditions in west Africa, namely the the distrust of western clinicians and the traditional handling of sickness and death combined make a fertile breeding ground for human ebola infections. Increased awareness and education will at a minimum greatly reduce the new cases rate in the coming six months. I am curious though about the source of that graph.

As a pandemic spreads social institutions break down and get worse, they don't become suddenly more effective. Distrust, faith in folk medicine, stupid rumours, will only spread with the disease.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Randandal posted:

Sub-Saharan Africa: Dying of Malaria's not the worst thing here!

Although of course I will grant you that some people are avoiding hospitals because they're afraid doctors are actively spreading Ebola, I think the more widespread and understandable fear is that if doctors are (accidentally or negligently) catching Ebola in the hospitals, then anybody going to a hospital in West Africa could accidentally catch Ebola just as easily as you could catch MRSA in a hospital in the Western World - which is a legitimate fear for anybody in the world, I think.

Either way, the end result of 3-4 times the usual number of deaths for things normally treated in hospitals is probably a phenomenally higher number of deaths due to the presence of Ebola than the actual Ebola infection was caused.

Right, spread of Ebola through health care workers and people escaped from/not yet in quarantine is a legitimate reason not to want to have care in a hospital. But the reason some people think doctors are spreading ebola directly is because they see that very often when they bring a sick person to the hospital, they don't come back out until they are dead. Between not knowing the cause-effect of the situation (the sick person died because they had ebola, not because they entered the hospital) and rampant rumor mongering & snake oil, some towns actually are afraid of western medicine now.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Slaan posted:

Right, spread of Ebola through health care workers and people escaped from/not yet in quarantine is a legitimate reason not to want to have care in a hospital. But the reason some people think doctors are spreading ebola directly is because they see that very often when they bring a sick person to the hospital, they don't come back out until they are dead. Between not knowing the cause-effect of the situation (the sick person died because they had ebola, not because they entered the hospital) and rampant rumor mongering & snake oil, some towns actually are afraid of western medicine now.

We should just tell them that our doctors are actually powerful magicians and that we will curse them if they do not follow some simple health rules. As evidence for these claims, we can cite the Harry Potter series of documentary films.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Very good discussion on the outbreak from some experts, basically slamming the way the world has treated this and looking at what can be done to try and limit it. Includes video of the discussion and the full transcript.

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/8/15/as_who_warns_ebola_death_toll

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

on the left posted:

We should just tell them that our doctors are actually powerful magicians and that we will curse them if they do not follow some simple health rules. As evidence for these claims, we can cite the Harry Potter series of documentary films.

There really isn't a difference between this and trying to explain western medicine to an illiterate subsistence farmer

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

There really isn't a difference between this and trying to explain western medicine to an illiterate subsistence farmer

Well, it's that old Clarke saying about sufficiently developed tech being indistinguishable from magic. Honestly, how many people around you can explain how an MRI image is created? Or the helium superconducting magnets that are needed to create an MRI machine?

If Ebola becomes a pandemic and people who know how to make this stuff die out, we're hosed.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

meristem posted:

Well, it's that old Clarke saying about sufficiently developed tech being indistinguishable from magic. Honestly, how many people around you can explain how an MRI image is created? Or the helium superconducting magnets that are needed to create an MRI machine?

If Ebola becomes a pandemic and people who know how to make this stuff die out, we're hosed.

I'd be more worried about a flu pandemic. Aside from the tragedy unfolding in a region who's medical infrastructure is badly underdeveloped, Ebola's only scary on a theoretical, "It could happen to you!"-level. More developed medical systems would be able to isolate and quarantine an Ebola outbreak pretty quickly.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Really?

quote:

MONROVIA, Liberia - Armed men attacked an Ebola clinic in Monrovia, local witnesses told Agence France Presse.

As many as 29 potentially Ebola-infected patients fled, the news agency reported.

"They broke down the doors and looted the place. The patients all fled," said Rebecca Wesseh, who witnessed the attack and whose report was confirmed by residents and the head of Health Workers Association of Liberian, George Williams.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-armed-men-attack-liberia-ebola-clinic-freeing-patients/

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Randandal posted:

then anybody going to a hospital in West Africa could accidentally catch Ebola just as easily as you could catch MRSA in a hospital in the Western World - which is a legitimate fear for anybody in the world, I think.

It's not though - the only people in hospitals really at risk for catching Ebola are healthcare workers. The risk of person to person spread is very low unless you're dealing with an infected persons bodily fluids.

The problem is that the healthcare systems are so bad that there isn't enough PPE for the doctors to stay safe.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

It's not though - the only people in hospitals really at risk for catching Ebola are healthcare workers.

And the people who loot bloody ebola bedding.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

This is the stupidest loving thing I have ever heard.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I readily admit I know very little about Sub-Saharan Africa but all the ignorant and deeply unwise behaviour of the citizens of the countries affected I keep thinking back to this NYT article about Nigeria's 1% I read a while back: http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/25/lagos-nigeria-fashion-deola-sagoe-alara-temple-muse/

Specifically the last few paragraphs:

quote:

Odogwu, like many of the old guard, is a very religious man. He has donated millions to the Catholic Church and is particularly proud of photographs of him and his wife in the Vatican earlier this year, renewing their marriage vows in front of Pope Francis. He believes they are the first African couple to have the Pope officiate at a marriage renewal ceremony.

I asked him whether he thought the vast fortunes he and his friends control would or should trickle down to develop Nigeria. Odogwu suggested that religion – not politics – was the answer to problems with Nigeria’s wealth distribution issues. “There are lots of religious organizations here,” he said. “They do a lot and we give them a lot of money. Instead of telling people what they don’t have, they help them out of their frustration, and make them believe that their way of life is better than in the west.” Spiritual balm for the masses, he said, was one good reason for him and his fellow elites to pile the collection plate high on Sundays.

Assuming his view is common across the elites across West Africa, which doesn't seem unlikely, a deliberate policy of opposing development of infrastructure and educating the masses underlies the response of the population to this crisis.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

That is so loving nuts. I guess some people genuinely think Ebola isn't real. Somehow.

I mean they're definitely gonna get sick and probably die, right?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

You've got to be loving kidding me.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ChairMaster posted:

That is so loving nuts. I guess some people genuinely think Ebola isn't real. Somehow.

I mean they're definitely gonna get sick and probably die, right?

Yes they are because they were literally stealing soiled sheets, mattresses and blankets. The Al Jazeera article has some more details : http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/8/17/liberia-quarantinebreak.html

Absolutely insane.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

The Beeb puts it best.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28827091

quote:

A senior police officer said blood-stained mattresses, beddings and medical equipment were taken from the centre.

"This is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in my life", he said.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Natural selection in action.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

blowfish posted:

Natural selection in action.

Future Darwin Award winners?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ThirdPartyView posted:

Future Darwin Award winners?

As long as they don't contaminate other people with their criminally stupid actions, sure.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

As long as they don't contaminate other people with their criminally stupid actions, sure.

Too late for that. I heard they took 7 individuals with confirmed Ebola cases and 10 suspected.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

My Imaginary GF posted:

Too late for that. I heard they took 7 individuals with confirmed Ebola cases and 10 suspected.

:wtc: Why?

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

They also took the bodies of Ebola victims from the clinic's morgue so they could be given traditional burials.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry everyone, I'm sure they'll have this thing under control soon.
:suicide:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Randandal posted:

They also took the bodies of Ebola victims from the clinic's morgue so they could be given traditional burials.

Which of course seem to involve kissing the corpse.

Do you want ebola? Because this is how you get ebola!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

quote:

A senior police officer said blood-stained mattresses, beddings and medical equipment were taken from the centre.

In my charmed life, I have slept on sand, grass, rocks, pavement, a park bench, a miniature golf course, the floor of an Army warehouse, the roof of a school, and many other uncomfortable locations. Yet even in the worst circumstance, it didn't occur to me that an ebola-soaked bloody mattress would be a desirable item to steal in exchange for a good night's sleep.

• Locked thread