Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just want you to know this is, like, the first conversation of, like, three conversations that leads to you being a Redditor. Like there's this and then in a year it's like, "Oh, you know, I'm kinda gonna want to get back out there, but I think I like kids," and then there's the big, "Oh, I'm... I'm... I'm a Redditor now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese and crackers
Apr 27, 2007
crackers and cheese

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

MIT's probably super recognizable and expensive to film in. So it would be really obvious if they were faking it with a local college standing in for "MIT". It would have fooled me, I've never seen the campus. Writers probably wanted to keep him local as well so it was believable when he shows up home out of the blue. I would have liked to see the character make it to MIT as well, but if they're writing Lip not being able to hack it in Chicago yet, MIT would poo poo him out in a week.

They filmed that movie about the card counting team from MIT at BU and no one seemed to notice. They could get a few shots of the MIT campus from across the river and such and then just film everything else indoors or close enough that no one can tell. They shoot most of the show in LA anyway and it's supposed to be in Chicago.

I don't understand why he didn't try to get into University of Chicago or something, though. Still one of the best schools in the country and he could even still be living at home

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Drifter posted:

Okay, you're right, I hope for your sake they have the pedophile relationship have a happy ending. Live the dream, brother.

Dude, I'm not advocating this as a good storyline or condoning it in anyway shape or form. I'm just seeing what I think the writers are going for and understanding how they can think it's a possible arc for the characters. This show is clearly not really above just going for shock value at the expense of believability and that's part of what makes it entertaining. If they go that way I can see what the logic behind it is, even if the logic is flawed. I don't really care which direction they go as long as it's entertaining.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

I know they're using it to give Lip an obstacle, but I have to schedule work studies students and if they say they need the time off to study you have to let them out, they just lose the hours they were scheduled. Sorry, but that cafeteria scene really irritated me because I would love to tell them tough sometimes and I can't

edit: good job Fiona loving up what you had

edit 2: just admit it Fiona

Brennan fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 27, 2014

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm really surprised Fiona fell for the brother's bullshit philosophy. Like, hasn't she lived with the actual consequences of addicts and addiction her entire life? You would think "I'm just living life to the fullest!" would probably be the worst pickup line to try and use on her.

But what do I know. Pretty much every storyline this week irritated me for some reason, except for Native American Christian dating.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ian reappearing at some point has to be the only reason they are keeping the Mickey storyline going, right?

Also, I have a theory that Debbie's boyfriend is a recent graduate of one of those crazy programs where they beat the homosexuality out of you and is desperate for any kind of normal-seeming relationship.

edit: IME work-study job schedules are intended to be flexible enough that the "study" part can take precedence over "work" when necessary. I wasn't in a cafeteria, but in every lovely job I had as an undergrad they were willing to let you rearrange hours when necessary.

withak fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 27, 2014

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's failing the courses because he doesn't really give a poo poo and came from a school where he could coast by on his intelligence. You never knew that crazy smart kid who got a massive reality check as a college freshman?

The problem with this is that he hasn't been shown slacking off at all. His scenes are pretty much either him at work, in class, or reading. I have to agree with some of the other people that they built up his intelligence too much for this to make much sense. Sorry, but freshman classes are easy. Hell, I worked over 40 hours a week for most of college and double majored and it wasn't really that big of a deal. If he was shown slacking off a lot or something, skipping classes on purpose, and so forth, I could see it. But he seems to be trying really hard, which is what makes it odd.

withak posted:

Also, I have a theory that Debbie's boyfriend is a recent graduate of one of those crazy programs where they beat the homosexuality out of you and is desperate for any kind of normal-seeming relationship.
I did get a bit of a gay vibe during their date night thing.

Also, Frank's totally going to bang his daughter, isn't he?

Steve112sms fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 27, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Steve112sms posted:

Yeah if my theory is accurate then the writers were laying it on pretty heavy there.

quote:

Also, Frank's totally going to bang his daughter, isn't he?

Yes.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Does this make you cray?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I pretty much hate this season. Oh well.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah, this season has been pretty bad so far.

Fionna's mess has been pretty awful to watch. By now you would think that she would know better and since she has this bullshit detector when it comes to Frank, the brother's game really shouldn't have worked on her.

As others pointed out about Lip's story is that all they have shown us is him struggling, studying and avoiding the horsing around. So to see him barely tread water just doesn't make sense. They needed to approach a bit differently if they wanted to sell this idea for him.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Wow...they're really going all in with the creep factor this season..

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Aside from the hardass work study boss, the most absurd part was apparently every campus computer got hijacked for a game tournament? What?

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Jack Skeleton posted:

Yeah, this season has been pretty bad so far.

Fionna's mess has been pretty awful to watch. By now you would think that she would know better and since she has this bullshit detector when it comes to Frank, the brother's game really shouldn't have worked on her.

As others pointed out about Lip's story is that all they have shown us is him struggling, studying and avoiding the horsing around. So to see him barely tread water just doesn't make sense. They needed to approach a bit differently if they wanted to sell this idea for him.

I keep going back and forth on how believable Fiona's storyline is this season.

Lip's storyline, though, is way too relatable a situation to buy. Work study doesn't take up that much time and when you spend the rest of it buried in books you'd have to be a decidedly below average student to do so badly. It makes no sense that freshman philosophy is completely beyond his understanding given what we've seen of him before. The only way I think I'll be able to come around on his story this season is if he has the realization that he isn't as smart as he thought so that his story can hopefully move onto something more interesting.

I don't want to say that this season's bad because I still enjoy most of the characters but all of my favorite characters (Fiona, Lip, Ian) are either barely on screen or in the middle of their weakest plots yet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Steve112sms posted:

Mickey's gonna go over there to take the guy out, but they'll end up banging. The creeper ever looks like Ian!

And then Ian will turn back up. Drama!

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow

Open Source Idiom posted:

Mickey's gonna go over there to take the guy out, but they'll end up banging. The creeper ever looks like Ian!

And then Ian will turn back up. Drama!

drat, I think you got it.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I can see why people aren't liking the season, but I'm still enjoying it just as much.

Fiona loving the brother felt really stupid and the whole time you're watching it happening you're thinking "jesus christ what are you doing you idiot" and it's borderline making you hate her at that point, then with the smiling and thinking about it on the train, but I think they did a good job at the very end with the phonecall that makes you realize there's no point in hating her because she's completely broken inside.

She's terrified of letting someone get close (JimmySteve), somehow doesn't want to be taken care of (new guy) but takes advantage of people when they do try to help (JimmySteve), is an addict just like Frank, knows she doesn't have a future, her entire life is so depressing it's even hard to be mad at her for all the dumb poo poo she does.

cheese and crackers
Apr 27, 2007
crackers and cheese

qbert posted:

I'm really surprised Fiona fell for the brother's bullshit philosophy. Like, hasn't she lived with the actual consequences of addicts and addiction her entire life? You would think "I'm just living life to the fullest!" would probably be the worst pickup line to try and use on her.

But what do I know. Pretty much every storyline this week irritated me for some reason, except for Native American Christian dating.

I felt like she wanted to gently caress him from the minute she saw him. She was already sick of how overbearing her boyfriend is and it seems like she's kind of put off by how fast he's moving things along and wanting to move in together and meet each other's families etc. only a month or so (I think) into the relationship. She might even have ended the relationship already if she wasn't afraid of how it would affect her employment.

His brother walks in and looks like the bad boy version of him and she probably feels like she could relate to him a lot more. She would've dated this guy over Mike if only she had met him first. I've known a few girls who gravitate toward their boyfriend's brothers and feel like they picked the wrong one. I think what she did is terrible but I'm glad it happened because I really do not like Mike as a character at all and I hate the scenes where they are together. Emmy Rossum being hot as poo poo is the only reason I started watching this show in the first place so I hope I can start to like her scenes again.

I agree about Lip's storyline being unrealistic. I get that he would get bad grades at first if he were slacking off, but he gets a 77 this episode on something he put effort into. For someone who could ace the SATs repeatedly with 100% confidence and never have to put an ounce of effort into anything prior to this he sure is struggling. It would make a little more sense if he were at a school like MIT but even there I can't imagine the freshman courses are too rigorous. I was a straight A student in high school but I'm not super genius and it definitely wasn't without effort, and I maintained a B average with little to no effort in freshman year of university. I do like his storyline regardless and can definitely relate with the nerd roommate (my first semester to a T except he wasn't fat and was a lot less social) and the absolute oval office of a girlfriend.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Are flash mobs really that frequent on college campuses nowadays? I'm not that far removed from my uni days and I don't remember that ever happening. Lip's whole story seems like it is being written by people that haven't been to college in years and have watched one too many cliche college-coming-of-age movies.

Count me in as disappointed with some of the storylines thus far. Carl and Franks stories are entertaining, and Debbie's is really uncomfortable but at least interesting, but Lip and Fiona both have really sort of boring plots. Guess we'll just have to wait and see where this is all going. :sigh:

BodyMassageMachine fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 27, 2014

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Are flash mobs really that frequent on college campuses nowadays? I'm not that far removed from my uni days and I don't remember that ever happening. Lip's whole story seems like it is being written by people that haven't been to college in years and have watched one too many cliche college-coming-of-age movies.

Where I'm at, we have a couple in the first couple of weeks of semester, and more tend to pop up during election season. They're mostly of the singing and dancing variety though, and never too big.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Those flash mob scenes are a bit cringe worthy. I thought the point of flash mobs was to do them in a public area and bewilder bystanders. Doesn't really work if everybody except one is in on the gag.

I'd have to agree with a few posters that Season 4 is a bit of a let down. New Deb is annoying, Frank has tipped too far towards depressing, and I really don't like Carl - I think his actor is completely terrible and he looks to much like Miley Cyrus.

Is Fiona supposed to be like a sex addict now, or is it more a case of a need for chaos in her personal life?

Show needs more Jimmy and especially more Estefania.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Fiona is a moron and I don't care about her anymore. She is the 2nd worst character on the show. The worst is Sheila though. She's now pretty much pointless.

Deb's boyfriend is totally gay, Carl is gonna turn into a Frank, Frank will gently caress his daughter, and I want to give Lip a kick in the rear end. Oh no freshman courses and work? SOOO HARD. Also what's his major? Who cares if he doesn't get straight A's in his freshman english or philosophy courses if he's gonna be building robots or whatever.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Jack Skeleton posted:

I will say this though, depending on his high school experience, he may never have taught him how to write in an academically acceptable way. Being smart and understanding the material doesn't mean you can communicate it well. I think that's what was important about the blurb on the top of his paper where the prof wrote that he is getting better at framing his argument.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
"I ain't afraid to knock a bitch up, you game?"

Carl is the best thing about this season so far.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
When does Lip start taking and dealing Adderall? Don't have time to sleep and work and do school stuff? Adderall! Then you can buy a laptop, and some sheets, and maybe quit the work study job.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Brennan posted:

I will say this though, depending on his high school experience, he may never have taught him how to write in an academically acceptable way. Being smart and understanding the material doesn't mean you can communicate it well. I think that's what was important about the blurb on the top of his paper where the prof wrote that he is getting better at framing his argument.

Yeah, writing a paper in the way that a grader in an undergrad philosophy class is looking for is definitely something that has to be taught, not something that you just pick up from being smart and barely paying attention. My HS had an entire course on how to write like that and I didn't realize how valuable that really was until I noticed in college that I was somehow blazing through papers like that with a lot less effort then people who were a lot smarter than me.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

SLAPSHOT MERELY OK posted:

Fiona is a moron and I don't care about her anymore. She is the 2nd worst character on the show. The worst is Sheila though. She's now pretty much pointless.

Sheila is pretty much holding the family together at this point- cleaning the house, babysitting, and even scrubbing down Frank; and Fiona has shown basically zero appreciation.

My guess is that they're building this up to the point where Sheila gets fed up and walks and now that Kev and V are busy with their own family, Fiona realize she has pretty much screwed over her last friend in the name of taking care of her family, screwed her family for her new job, screwed up her job for a new boyfriend, and screwed over her new boyfriend to pursue a cheap thrill, and that (as they seemed to allude to in the ep) she really is no better than Frank.

If they didnt feel the need to beat us over the head with the whole generational-perpetuation-of-addictive-behavior thing it could actually be a pretty sophisticated little piece of character development.

whalesteak fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 13, 2014

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I could see Lip struggling with lit papers, but there's no way an intro to macro course for non-econ majors should be any kind of challenge.

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005
^^^^ The girl from Lip's hometown at the sorority tried to voice over why that would've happened - she said that it took her a full year to catch up to where other kids were in high school because their hometown school was was lovely.

I still don't buy it though - Lip was the guy who not only regularly aced the SATs for money, but also had a few plots where his genius shone through well beyond just being smarter than a few kids from the hood. For example, his victory over a the nerds from the local smart college in a robot fighting competition stands out as proving his intellect, and he have that local professor and the OCS recruiter both fawning over him as well. To start getting Cs and Ds in college just doesn't seem to fit. I get that the writers are taking the (arguably) most competent character on the show and putting him out of his comfort zone by making him inept, but that sort of discontinuity between seasons is a bit grating.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Did Lip get an 11 for his Kant paper or a 77? I couldn't really tell from Balthier's handwriting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's definitely a 77. An 11 with "Getting better! You're starting to frame your arguments!" would be pretty ridiculous. Also anything under a 60 would probably just be an F.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SLAPSHOT MERELY OK posted:

Carl is gonna turn into a Frank

Carl is about five times smarter and ten times more ruthless then Frank. Carl's gonna turn into a Terry Milkovich. He's guilty of multiple shoplifting, underage drinking, smoking and drug use, multiple thievery, multiple breaking and entering, unlawful possession and discharge of firearms, drug dealing, multiple violent assault, attempted murder and shooting a loving bald eagle and he's not even thirteen yet. He also feels zero remorse for any of that. Frank is weak as poo poo, Carl is anything but. And unlike Frank he's utterly loyal to his family (just look how he takes care of Liam).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hoopaloops posted:

^^^^ The girl from Lip's hometown at the sorority tried to voice over why that would've happened - she said that it took her a full year to catch up to where other kids were in high school because their hometown school was was lovely.

I still don't buy it though - Lip was the guy who not only regularly aced the SATs for money, but also had a few plots where his genius shone through well beyond just being smarter than a few kids from the hood. For example, his victory over a the nerds from the local smart college in a robot fighting competition stands out as proving his intellect, and he have that local professor and the OCS recruiter both fawning over him as well. To start getting Cs and Ds in college just doesn't seem to fit. I get that the writers are taking the (arguably) most competent character on the show and putting him out of his comfort zone by making him inept, but that sort of discontinuity between seasons is a bit grating.

Lip had the comfort of his lovely life and wasn't really stressed out or alone when he was aced ACTs for money. Those could be factors contributing to him not performing up to his normal standard.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Tigren posted:

When does Lip start taking and dealing Adderall? Don't have time to sleep and work and do school stuff? Adderall! Then you can buy a laptop, and some sheets, and maybe quit the work study job.

That's what threw me off. In the past seasons Lip had no problem in slinging side poo poo to get what he needed with some quick cash. It's just that he didn't give a poo poo about it enough, but now he's having problems making some cash for the basics that he needs for school?

He's shown hustling the kitchen crew at cards, so he still has it. The whole time management thing just doesn't seem to fit since they haven't shown us him really pissing away his free time on anything besides work and having his head in books.

cheese and crackers
Apr 27, 2007
crackers and cheese

Jack Skeleton posted:

That's what threw me off. In the past seasons Lip had no problem in slinging side poo poo to get what he needed with some quick cash. It's just that he didn't give a poo poo about it enough, but now he's having problems making some cash for the basics that he needs for school?

He's shown hustling the kitchen crew at cards, so he still has it. The whole time management thing just doesn't seem to fit since they haven't shown us him really pissing away his free time on anything besides work and having his head in books.

He might not want to risk it at this point. Getting caught with some drugs as a minor - no big deal. Get caught as an adult in school not only do you go to jail (or get probation / community service) but you get expelled from school which would suck quite a lot of dick.

I saw a pretty big spoiler (although it's pretty obvious it would happen) on Reddit just now, apparently Emmy Rossum says her character does a bit of coke in the upcoming episodes while she was on Chelsea Handler so it's pretty apparent that she ends up spending more time with Mike's degenerate brother

cheese and crackers fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 28, 2014

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

sleepingbuddha posted:

"I ain't afraid to knock a bitch up, you game?"

Carl is the best thing about this season so far.

That was seriously my favorite line. Carl's shaping up to be a fun character now that he has a little more dimensionality to him.

Joramun posted:

Did Lip get an 11 for his Kant paper or a 77? I couldn't really tell from Balthier's handwriting.

It was killing me trying to figure out where I recognized the teacher's voice from, thanks.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Fiona's an idiot and I hate that they are doing this to her.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Wojtek posted:

Fiona's an idiot and I hate that they are doing this to her.

It is Shameless so the show would be boring to watch if the show wasn't full of flawed characters, living in lovely conditions, making bad decisions. I knew all the good things happening at the very beginning of the season weren't going to last long but I am kind of surprised how quickly everything is starting to go downhill when the season is just barely 1/4 through.

I kind of agree that Fiona is finally really slipping up this season by not being around and her big gently caress up last episode (which you know is going to continue) which feels weird as it's very against her character but I'm morbidly curious to see how far down she goes. There have also been a number of allusions to her past relationships this season (as well as in prior seasons) that have been brought up to imply that perhaps she isn't being so out of character after all and that we just haven't witnessed her bad side that much so far in the show. The possibility of a complete role reversal between her and Frank came to mind when watching the most recent episode but that might be a bit too difficult to pull off successfully (especially for more than one episode).

I like that Carl is finally coming into his own, him and Frank have definitely both been holding the show together in the comedy department this season. The Lip at college subplot has been good so far mostly due to watching his character exist in the different environment (surrounded by entitled undergrad kids) he's in but it really does flop a bit if you overthink the details which becomes a distraction - I believe they could have easily done a much better job at making it all a little more believable, they really built him up during the earlier seasons. It's also weird that the whole reason why he didn't go to MIT for free hasn't been touched upon as well as the fact that they haven't even explained what he is even trying to accomplish by going to college anyways. He completely pulled an application essay out of his rear end in front of that MIT alumni rep which obviously got him somewhere and now he can't get decent grades on papers graded by TAs teaching 101 classes? Then again his plot would be pretty empty if everything was going fine for him at school so I guess it just goes back to the lazy writing failing at making his story seem more believable.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 28, 2014

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Wayside Bazaar posted:

He completely pulled an application essay out of his rear end in front of that MIT alumni rep which obviously got him somewhere and now he can't get decent grades on papers graded by TAs teaching 101 classes?
I see this as more the TAs are incompetent and are looking for structure whereas the higher ups don't care about that stuff as long as you have ideas that are sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Wayside Bazaar posted:

It is Shameless so the show would be boring to watch if the show wasn't full of flawed characters, living in lovely conditions, making bad decisions. I knew all the good things happening at the very beginning of the season weren't going to last long but I am kind of surprised how quickly everything is starting to go downhill when the season is just barely 1/4 through.
Fiona's bad decisions are frustrating and depressing.

Kev and V's bad decisions are fun and hilarious.

• Locked thread