Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I'm rewatching the season premier and just noticed Emmy trying really hard not to lose it when Sheila walks in and makes a comment regarding almost slipping and falling outside, in fact there's a weird cut so they probably had to reshoot it (~6:00 in). It's subtle but you can tell, she's adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

hcreight posted:

So is there any indication that there is actually another Gallagher daughter or is this just another one of Frank's schemes?

I would tune in next week, of course it's a cliffhanger and it's definitely never been referenced in the past. Going by how the show has been in the past I would say he is serious...but who knows? William H. Macy has always been such a great loser on screen, but he really does his best work as a complete degenerate!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Smeep posted:

Is Ian just not on the show anymore? His story line with Mickey Milkovich was the best.

His name is still in the credits so he's definitely going to be back...it's not even like how they drop Chloe Webb from the credits in episodes where Monica returns (or do they?) so you'll be seeing him in a few weeks.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Wojtek posted:

Fiona's an idiot and I hate that they are doing this to her.

It is Shameless so the show would be boring to watch if the show wasn't full of flawed characters, living in lovely conditions, making bad decisions. I knew all the good things happening at the very beginning of the season weren't going to last long but I am kind of surprised how quickly everything is starting to go downhill when the season is just barely 1/4 through.

I kind of agree that Fiona is finally really slipping up this season by not being around and her big gently caress up last episode (which you know is going to continue) which feels weird as it's very against her character but I'm morbidly curious to see how far down she goes. There have also been a number of allusions to her past relationships this season (as well as in prior seasons) that have been brought up to imply that perhaps she isn't being so out of character after all and that we just haven't witnessed her bad side that much so far in the show. The possibility of a complete role reversal between her and Frank came to mind when watching the most recent episode but that might be a bit too difficult to pull off successfully (especially for more than one episode).

I like that Carl is finally coming into his own, him and Frank have definitely both been holding the show together in the comedy department this season. The Lip at college subplot has been good so far mostly due to watching his character exist in the different environment (surrounded by entitled undergrad kids) he's in but it really does flop a bit if you overthink the details which becomes a distraction - I believe they could have easily done a much better job at making it all a little more believable, they really built him up during the earlier seasons. It's also weird that the whole reason why he didn't go to MIT for free hasn't been touched upon as well as the fact that they haven't even explained what he is even trying to accomplish by going to college anyways. He completely pulled an application essay out of his rear end in front of that MIT alumni rep which obviously got him somewhere and now he can't get decent grades on papers graded by TAs teaching 101 classes? Then again his plot would be pretty empty if everything was going fine for him at school so I guess it just goes back to the lazy writing failing at making his story seem more believable.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 28, 2014

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Gaunab posted:

I paused it to read the intro to Lip's paper. It was pretty alright

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who did this... :spergin:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

The Mash posted:

Season 4 Debbie can take a boatride with JimmySteve for all I care though.

I think her awful choice in making her few friends as well as Fiona (and her father, mother, and two older brothers) not being there for her when she is entering adolescence is at fault for that...I don't think she's a bad person now but I agree it really isn't enjoyable to watch. She still seems like the same old Debs when she's around her adult boyfriend for example (compared to how she has been acting around her family/friends) but is obviously just really confused about herself and what she is doing. It is also really dumb that they haven't showed Ian and what he's been doing yet Showtime has made an official loving tumblr page which has explained what he's up to in blog form...even if there is an off-camera reason for that (ie. filming conflict) it's still stupid.

I do like how it takes me a few seconds to remember what JimmySteve's real name was.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 4, 2014

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

The Mash posted:

I think for me the worst moment in the series was Monica using their squirrel fund on her useless poo poo and half-baked ideas. God I was furious while watching that whole episode.

Yeah and she still didn't even get Frank the ketamine that he asked for specifically from their local drug dealer.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
It looked like the sweat lodge idea didn't work out for Frank either as he was shown to be unresponsive and was going to be transported to the hospital after the cops found him at the end. That was a fantastic episode and I'm glad it finally straightened out the show just before the halfway point in the season. Good observation with the irony of the "No Distractions" sign at the beginning. They better have very good reasons for bringing back Robbie and Debbie's ex-boyfriend if they do because they can just about be written off the show from this point. I hope we get a Fiona in jail subplot.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Pellisworth posted:

The Plains Indians didn't have alcohol or really any other intoxicants so they liked to reach altered states by subjecting themselves to extremes. Starvation, dehydration, heat/stress (like in the sweat lodge). Sweat lodges are actually really dangerous for anyone not in good physical shape. If whoever is tending the lodge doesn't know what they're doing or pushes their guests too far, bad news. As far as I know it's mostly heart conditions that are big disqualifiers for sweating, but it was a pretty terrible idea for Frank to get in there. Good likelihood he's in a coma or something.

And yes, Ian appeared to be having either a manic episode or he was on MDMA/ecstasy (more likely the latter, honestly, but I'm more familiar with raves than I am mental disorders).

I'm sure there was no way he wasn't going through with it after hearing "better than snorting oxy, man".

I think the mania idea is very possible and it can definitely present/feel very similar to being on MDMA, but who knows at this point - it's quite obvious that he probably is partying a lot, drinking like a fish, and on drugs (especially with Monica in the picture). The mental illness kinda makes for a good explanation for whatever happened with him being in the military though.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

DarkCrawler posted:

"Hey yeah, we can get some methheads to hand out flyers and poo poo!"

"And pay them how?"

"We don't. We just tell 'em we pay them and if they complain, beat the poo poo out of them."

"Hey you, come with me if you want to get paid more for putting a stranger's dick in your mouth!"

I really hope that the rest of this season is going to be consistently this great until the finale...there's enough serious/hilarious poo poo both going on now and looming on the horizon that there is definitely no need for filler at this point.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I'm pretty sure that I didn't realize Mickey was one of the main characters on The Riches (FX) until last season but that's likely because I was one of the few people that enjoyed watching that show.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Lip, Mickey, Kev, and Carl have all been especially amazing in the past few episodes. Ian appears more hosed up than Frank is which quite a feat, I'm guessing that maybe finally next week he might be somewhat coherent and we get to find out what the gently caress is going on with him exactly.

Anyone know the exact episode count for this season?

"Fuckin' hole standers"

The name of the episode was also "A Jailbird, Invalid, Martyr, Cutter, Retard and Parasitic Twin"

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 24, 2014

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Chobdab posted:

I don't know about the drug angle being the only possible explanation. Based on scenes from next episode he spouts a very Monica-esque speech about non-conformity and doing what he wants instead of what's expected, I'm all but certain they're going the Ian has bipolar route.

Yeah I still think that is a better explanation. His dissociation last episode was really unnerving, having "he's just doing lots of drugs because some bad poo poo happened" would be a really lazy explanation for his issues. Mickey playing bad detective with his badge was amazing...they've done such a great job with him this season, his character was completely insufferable for the longest time.

"what the gently caress does a squirrel have to do with waffles anyway?"

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
That was the best episode of the show yet and I hope I eat my words next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Up until now I thought tonight's episode was the season finale, look like there is one more to go after tonight...fantastic.

• Locked thread