Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Started watching this show because I agreed with the OPs short descriptions of the other TV shows, so there we go. (thanks for not hating on The Good Wife [I like that show :ohdear:])

I just saw the first episode and really enjoyed it. Thanks TVIV!
I'm definitely going to watch the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Jesus Christ this show is brutal. The good people are ALWAYS dragged down, and they just keep making the worst decisions, too.

drat. I feel guilty for enjoying this show so much, and they're not even real people. :ohdear:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DivisionPost posted:

So where are you at this point?

Just finishing Season 2. I posted after s2ep10 when the mom stole their squirrel stash and Fiona realized it....and two seasons building up to that. It was really sad when Fiona just gave up going to her manager job.

And THEN I watched the thanksgiving episode...:catstare:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I will say, Frank has the most progressive views on sexuality. It's impressive, even for him. For an rear end in a top hat :v: he's got a really positive outlook on homosexuality.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sauer kraut posted:

Thank You for bringing this show to my attention.
I guess this runs after midnight on some smut channel in the US since the Pilot has half a second of boobies?

It's got more boobies than The Game of Thrones, buddy. :colbert:

GoT has it beat in the iluvdicks department, though.

I just finished season 3 earlier today. Goddamn. What a wonderful show. gently caress Frank, still, but him becoming a political spokesperson and that whole associated arc was pretty amazing. :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You know, Mandy's just a mother hen momma bear. If a fox happens to be pecking around her loved one s she'll deal with it. No biggie.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 29, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just went and had my mom order this through netflix (along with Chicago Code:allears:) so she and my dad'll watch it too.

Thanks, OP, for writing such a convincing post. :hfive:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Wouldn't it be progressive in that instance because they're showing multiple characters dealing with the same issue and accepting it in different manners? Anytime you are shown multiple points of view it's gotta be better than just one point of view.

Mandy's brother and Fiona's brother are very clearly products of their home environment when it comes to how they approach their sexual preference, and how they shape themselves around it in the otherwise harsh community they live within.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Watching the story arc of Kev and Veronica trying to have a baby was pretty amazing. It just kept getting stranger and stranger.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

Really? I didn't think anybody cared about Jimmy. He was such a boring character, I was glad that he just disappeared offscreen.

I wouldn't say he was boring, I wouldn't even say he was an underdeveloped character, but I think since the show never really covered his motivations well so he was underutilized to the point where he just did things and we were supposed to accept that "Oh, okay. I guess he did that thing right there."

I liked him, and liked how he generally made Fiona a happier person. he also helped her develop herself; while he didn't exactly push her, he was around enough to give her some time to do things for herself, finally, and get some professional confidence. Which was nice. :smith:

He was pretty immature sometimes, too, though. But overall he was a pretty fun guy, and it'd be cool to bring him back, aside from all the technical difficulties in the story between how it's probably impossible for his drug lord father-in-law to do anything except kill him and the whole Fiona stuff. But Fiona'll take anybody back, she's sassy and smart and strong, but damaged goods are damaged goods.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Everytime I get so frustrated when she does stupid poo poo like that, but then I get impressed with the tv because it's so realistic.

:smithicide:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Joramun posted:

I think the V/Kev storyline was copied from The Bold and the Beautiful, in which Brooke and her daughter Bridget were also knocked up by the same guy at one point.

Well, however the plot, the narrative of Kev and Vi's one was fantastic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nooneofconsequence posted:

Didn't Lip get the MIT guy to agree that he doesn't have to do generic undergrad bs? Should have gone there.

I don't think he agreed to anything. I think he was just listening to 'lip rant.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
A good episode. It's nice to have the family back. But yeah, I was all psyched to have 'lip be in MIT and doing something. College is college, I guess, when you were never going to go to one in the first place.

I'd like to know why they didn't have him go to MIT, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

withak posted:

More like boring and depressing.

Roseanne was a pretty good TV show. And pretty funny.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

A little short this week.

Is that a quote or an opinion? Was it only 35 minutes or what?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Not really feeling this season so far. Debbie's storyline is too creepy. Never really cared for Carl. He's more interesting this season but there's still too much of him. Lip: The College Years is just too obvious and trite. I like seeing Fionna succeed, but I know it won't last so it gets depressing. I really miss Ian.

I do, however, love Kevin and V.

I haven't watched this episode yet, but I remember basically holding my fingers over my eyes during the first episode whenever Debbie was doing stuff, just because I have a feel for how boys are in that neighborhood, but the only thing that happened with the current storyline was basically a handshake with their faces, so that was nice. All the creepiness was just my expectations.

Now you're telling me it's actually getting creepy?!?! :catstare:
Noooooooooooo

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aces High posted:

I think the funny thing about Carl's trying to get a liver transplant is that no one has told him that they don't need a whole liver for the transplant, they just need enough of a liver. Although I suppose that is why the nurse at the clinic informed him that he could ask Fiona or Lip because SHE knows that they don't need an entire liver for the surgery but Carl probably thinks it's chloroform and ice bath time.

As far as Lip's adventure goes I think the show is railroading him pretty hard as far as "college life" goes. He is on a pretty big campus so I would think it wouldn't be too difficult for him to find other like-minded outcasts but either the writers have other plans for either deflating his ego or just giving him a taste of "reality". It's pretty easy to find other kids in your Macro Econ class who study 10 minutes before class that aren't of the "a 60% won't get you on the curve here" variety.

I wonder what they want to do with Fiona and her relationship with her new boss. I mean she didn't need to lie about the circumstances involving the car considering that it's a company car and they can just make her file a report about the man with huge road rage issues but her continuing to lie and dodge him? If anything it at least shows that he is fairly relentless so if she doesn't want more of that then she has a fair warning but yeesh.

I think ultimately it's that these are people who have been shaped by some very abnormal circumstances and have adapted to exist in those conditions, and now they are finding that those conditions haven't prepared them for this whole other realm of society. Fiona doesn't NEED to lie or whatever, but it's what she thinks she needs to do to survive. 'lip is similar to an extent.

I don't know I really need to watch the second episode soon.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PaybackJack posted:

I kind of hope this show messes with us by making the Debbie storyline into a happy and loving relationship with the giant asterix of it being pedophilia. I feel like taking it in any other direction is too obvious and since this show loves just loving with the audience, I think that's a perfect way to go.

There really can't be though; a young person has no intellectual capacity to experience the same type of relationship that an adult has, with adult expectations (no matter how stunted, except if it's a retarded adult, I suppose). There isn't really a happy ending to a child having that sort of physical and emotional relationship with an adult, except if you're an INCREDIBLY lucky, super rare outlier.

Paedophilia or whatever (is it ephebophilia or some bullshit?) exists with VERY abnormal expectations for a child to process and be accountable for.

There's no asterix like that where you can smile and go, "Haha, how weird, but it's cool, man, they love each other." It's a very "I understand life and the world through the fantasy of television" way to think like that.

Basically what I'm saying is if they want to go down that route it's not to be viewed as a good thing with a caveat, it's a bad thing, to be viewed with sadness and empathic regret - and horror, if that's your thing.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 21, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PaybackJack posted:

This is a tv show so they want to portray the outlier they can. I agree you're right though that children can't process these things the way an adult can. My point was mostly that I could see them going "our show is so hosed up, the underage relationship is the least hosed up thing going on". Of course you're right its still pretty hosed up but I could see this show never having them have sex, rarely kiss, and in five seasons have them get married when she turns 18. I think his character has been shown to be a bit less emotionally mature than some 20 year olds and that's what they're trying to impart is that on a maturity level they're both like 16 despite their actual ages being 13 and 20. Having lived in Asian for five years now, I want to actually look at studies of the brain to see if there's a change in actually chemistry that we can correlate to saying a 17 year old is not, while an 18 year old is emotionally and intellectually able to date and vote. Voting age is 20 here.

Okay, you're right, I hope for your sake they have the pedophile relationship have a happy ending. Live the dream, brother.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ProphetX posted:

So I have been re-watching from Season One as well as keeping up with this season, and I don't understand how in the first few season time and time again Debbie accepts Frank and later Monica's behavior. I understand she is young as well as the fact that she is supposed to be the kind hearted one out of the Gallagher clan. But it is really a flimsy issue. I just find it hard to believe that no matter how much you love someone or care that you could keep putting up with all that poo poo, though I know even she eventually gets sick of it

Haha, you clearly don't know how normal people behave when they're raised in some damaging environments.

They become not normal in a lot of ways. Their sense of normal shifts significantly and it can really gently caress people up for life. If they're really lucky it only fucks them up until they leave that environment.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ProphetX posted:

That is fair and I guess I can relate seeing as I spent 10mths in a very physically abusive relation. I constantly came up with excuses in my mind as to why I should stay in it. Though I will openly admit that I don't have experience going through the whole lovely parents thing.

And you were probably an *adult* in that relationship, so imagine how a little kid is supposed to react. On top of that, kids brains literally don't work the same as grown up brains.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's just Fiona was starting to really shape up and do good for herself. :(

Everyone's angry because they just wanted her to treat herself well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

cptInsane0 posted:

I feel like there is not enough hate for Debbie's terrible friends in this thread, especially lumpy space princess.

Why should people hate Debbie's friends, unless you think you should also hate Mandy or the slutbag Fiona used to be.

Her friends/associates are also just young kids who don't know any better. Might as well hate Carl for that matter.

Don't hate tha playa, hate tha game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BreakAtmo posted:

And yet she was revolted by the twenty-something woman having sex with 14-15-year-olds. I know there was the aspect of her having slept with Lip, but the way she called her 'kid fucker' really made it seem like that wasn't all.

Maybe she called the teacher/molester a standard derogatory term in the heat of the moment, especially since that teacher lady seemed really upset by being one and outed again as being one?

I'd have to watch that scene again, but it seemed like there was a lot of her being pissed that someone else was loving 'lip.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 10, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Jesus, I'm slow.

Did I miss it where they discover Ian's on coke? It couldn't just be E or something?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

Lets hope the "Mike's BAD BOY brother" storyline was over. That was awful.

Thousands of PUAs were frantically taking notes each time a scene with him and Fiona took place.

"gently caress me? No, gently caress you" *bangs furiously*

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aces High posted:

Can someone explain why Lip was in so much trouble over that midterm? Maybe it depends on your institution but I have never seen a professor just kick a student out for being 7 minutes late, hell depending on the day he still has plenty of time to still get a decent grade with the time remaining.

I've had professors literally lock the doors during even normal classes and refuse entry. During tests, they wouldn't let you make any up if you missed the day/time it started.

It's a dick thing, but it's far from rare.

And also, she's not really handling things like an adult, she's being confronted and lashing out since the dude's calling her out on her behavior and unmet expectations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aces High posted:

Well I mean compared to what she had done in the previous 2 episodes where she has lied about being attacked in a company vehicle and lashed out at her boyfriend for having the expectations he had. Really I thought that the final conversation they had was probably the most levelheaded we have seen Fiona yet this season. Is that a highmark? Well no but we're watching Shameless :v:

I'll give you that. Good call.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
loving hell. Six and a half minutes in and everything is horribly depressing. Brain damage possibly and everything. drat.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Krowley posted:

Why did Fiona refuse to snitch on her ex-boyfriends rear end in a top hat brother? Is she afraid she'll burn all the bridges with Mike if she gets him arrested?

Fantastic episode though!

Oh man, her boss/exboyfriend shut her down AMAZINGLY. haha. There is no warmth at all in Fiona's life right now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wasn't it implied she'd lost her job with the dude's "I never want to see you again" line?

I don't think so. She transferred away from that particular office already. I think he was just telling her to gently caress off from his personal life.

^^^ - what he said.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

I wouldn't be totally shocked if they killed Frank off this season. They seem to have totally done everything they can with his character and William H. Macy is getting old enough where he might not want to do something as grueling as a television show anymore.

I'm not sure what grueling about his role in the show, though. He barely gets any screentime.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Would it somehow be plausible for the "new" older sister to be granted custody of Liam (or any of the other kids)? She is technically their sister just as much as Fiona is to any of them, and already has a kid so is obviously a fit (enough) parent to the court. From the previews it seems she's starting to see Frank through the other kids' eyes, so it crossed my mind that it's a possibility.

edit: That could also be a bargaining chip to get Frank part of Fiona's liver, or at least get tested to see if she's a match. "You donate part of your liver to our dad, I'll be legal guardian of the kids on paper."

It doesn't matter though, they don't have the money for the surgery. If they could have scammed 150k $ don't you think they'd have done it sooner, or not be living where they live?

And if he's that close to death his other organs are probably damaged up the wazoo as well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

merk posted:

Fiona has insurance through the cup place that will magically find its way to cover Frank once she is the one donating.

You know, I'm really expecting her to be fired at some point.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

withak posted:

She is pretty much set up for life there as long as she doesn't make any serious mistakes (like getting arrested on a drug charge maybe?).

This is why I'm expecting her to be fired.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ahaha Kev flicking the loaded gun and saying "of course I know how to use it," is awesome. Kev is so cool.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JEEVES420 posted:

To be fair "flicking" a revolver is actually really bad for it and will throw the timing on the cylinder off. But when has Shameless been "realistic" on things like that.

I really liked the non verbal scene with Mickey and his wife with Ian on the bed. The scenes with Fiona being shuffled through the system is a sad/nice reality. You are alone and nobody gives two fucks about your issues at home there.

The implications in my post were that he was like a teenager with a brand new toy, not that he's cool because he knows how to properly maintain and use firearms. Perhaps, you could say that Shameless WAS being realistic, in that that's exactly how someone who doesn't know how to use a gun would behave if they all of a sudden felt powerful and dangerous with a new toy.

And I'm not sure I understood the unspoken reference between Mickey and his wife. Was she sad because she knew she'd never have that sort of love feeling directed at her? Was she realizing that she was cast aside-able or something?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 28, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BreakAtmo posted:

No no, I'm talking about how at the end of S2 she had broken up with Marco, was at the Gallaghers, saved Ian from Frank (expressing her anger about being abused by Marco), and last we saw her, she was spooning with Lip on the couch, clearly setting things up for next season.

Then S3 comes around, she's back with Marco, she never sees the Gallaghers (including Lip) ever again, and we never find out what happened between seasons. It was like they were setting something up for her that got completely jettisoned.

Uhh...her dad picked her up and did druglord dad things? What's hard to understand or put together? it's a really unnecessary storyline to explicitly be resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh man, I liked this episode.

It's great having a more Mickey-inclusive story, as well.

• Locked thread