Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I loving love this show, but I will be watching True Detective instead because I don't get Showtime at school. I catch up the next day using Xfinity on my computer.

It is flawed and suffers from typical Showtime excess for the sake of excess, but I can't help but love all of these characters. Especially Lip, even though he's become a big baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If death metal band shirts got you female attention in high school, my experience would have been a lot more fun.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He's failing the courses because he doesn't really give a poo poo and came from a school where he could coast by on his intelligence. You never knew that crazy smart kid who got a massive reality check as a college freshman?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Debbie does not have a maturity level even close to 16 and the show has heavily emphasized that in both episodes this season. She's going through the same stages of constant snappiness and sudden obsession with appearance that every 13-year-old girl does.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's definitely a 77. An 11 with "Getting better! You're starting to frame your arguments!" would be pretty ridiculous. Also anything under a 60 would probably just be an F.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Everyone seems to take turns babysitting him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It was pretty clear in the last episode that he's not. He's just kind of socially stunted.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Wow, don't know how to feel about that episode. I had gotten a text from my dad after it aired saying "powerful episode of Shameless this week," so I guess I should've seen some kind of gutpunch coming, but I didn't think it would be quite like that. Whoever compared it to the Monica suicide attempt hit the nail on the head, as did the AV Club reviewer who said he'd never watch local news the same way again.

Also count me in as another person who loves the development of Mickey. I used to just be annoyed by most of the Milkoviches but he's hilarious now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just brutal. I don't think I've ever spent a whole episode frowning. But still fantastic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wouldn't be totally shocked if they killed Frank off this season. They seem to have totally done everything they can with his character and William H. Macy is getting old enough where he might not want to do something as grueling as a television show anymore.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So last night's episode was "The Legend of Bonnie and Carl," right? For some reason, Xfinity does not have that episode available online, but does have the episode airing next week ("Liver, I Hardly Know Her"). Despite their airdates, last night's is listed as Episode 10 and next week's is listed as Episode 9. Should I wait a few days to try to watch this on demand?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I swear this season is gonna make me cry. The only time a television show has ever made me feel the way I did during like every Lip scene in this episode was Friday Night Lights.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That...doesn't help at all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

Yeah it does. No matter how sad/bad this show gets as far as situations go, it could always have been worse. :D

I mean some of the most emotional scenes are heartwarming as well. If it was just relentlessly bleak I would be more just bummed and angry. Like with the Wire.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bamhand posted:

Wait so if the liver "donor" didn't actually get his liver transplanted why was he objecting right before the operation? It's not like Sheila would've understood what he was saying if it was part of an act. Unless the doctor took a lobe of his liver to use later for someone else.

It was all part of the act. It doesn't really matter if Sheila understood what he was saying or not.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

withak posted:

Yeah I didn't want to say anything either but wasn't his response something like "not now we're in public". As in "this is a thing that we do at home, not in public".

He said "we're in public" and then "wait 'till we get home."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Was anyone else bugged by the product placement in this episode? No speech-to-text function has ever come close to correctly getting a message as long as the one Lip sent. Why are they sending phone pictures to Fiona anyway? She is in prison. She obviously doesn't have a phone. It was such a stretch to include that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Oliver Reed posted:

Didn't bother me. Shameless is usually pretty good about product placement.

I think they were sending her e-mails, by the way.

Can you receive emails in prison nowadays?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DrPaper posted:

I was told this show is very much like live action Family Guy with some zany random stuff like a baby eating crack, is this true? I'm somewhat interested in this series but if that's true I don't know.

If you're not trolling, whoever told you that is an idiot. A baby does eat cocaine at one point. It is far from zany and random.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That scene was a little bit cheesy in its attempt to stay topical with the Jason Collins and Michael Sam references. Something about the dialogue seemed really forced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The voice was immediately recognizable but physically wasn't for some reason so I wasn't sure until I looked it up - think he just lost some weight, looked much thinner from what I remember.
For a second I thought it was Marc Maron before he started talking.

• Locked thread