Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm so goddamn ready for this show to come back. OH MAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hoopaloops posted:

^^^^ The girl from Lip's hometown at the sorority tried to voice over why that would've happened - she said that it took her a full year to catch up to where other kids were in high school because their hometown school was was lovely.

I still don't buy it though - Lip was the guy who not only regularly aced the SATs for money, but also had a few plots where his genius shone through well beyond just being smarter than a few kids from the hood. For example, his victory over a the nerds from the local smart college in a robot fighting competition stands out as proving his intellect, and he have that local professor and the OCS recruiter both fawning over him as well. To start getting Cs and Ds in college just doesn't seem to fit. I get that the writers are taking the (arguably) most competent character on the show and putting him out of his comfort zone by making him inept, but that sort of discontinuity between seasons is a bit grating.

Lip had the comfort of his lovely life and wasn't really stressed out or alone when he was aced ACTs for money. Those could be factors contributing to him not performing up to his normal standard.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kevin telling Lip to man the gently caress up was so refreshing. I want to see more of that, because it's paying off. Also yeah, Carl is loving nuts. And I'm really disliking Debbie/Fiona this season. Seriously, the both of them are so loving dumb, weird, and awkward to a point where it's annoying.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ok, this was the best episode of the season so far. Liam getting into the coke stash was pretty jarring, akin to when Monica slit her wrists; poo poo caught me WAY off guard and everyone's reaction wrecked me. I also really enjoyed Lip's romp through Chicago to find Ian. His actions this episode painted a pretty definitive picture that says, at least to me, that Lip is finally starting to realize he's the only one who can save his family from the poo poo life they've been living. The look on his face as Fiona tried to figure out what was going on at the hospital said it all. It was pretty moving.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 10, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

Yeah, I didn't like that either. The whole episode up until that point was about Fiona trying to get rid of her crazier impulses and dealing with the fallout from them. It was such a 180 to then be doing coke in the same room as Liam.

A 180 from screwing her boyfriend's brother on his kitchen countertop while he was passed out in his own bathroom? Seemed more like par for the course for Fiona this season.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 10, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Drifter posted:

loving hell. Six and a half minutes in and everything is horribly depressing. Brain damage possibly and everything. drat.

The whole episode was pretty much just all :smith: with a slight :unsmith: at the end. But drat. It literally made me feel downtrodden and melancholy afterward. Amazing stuff. Also, Jeremy Allen White has been killing it these last few episodes among some really solid performances from his castmates. Dude is a solid actor.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

Pretty much my favorite alongside whoever plays Carl. drat did the kid actors get better once they got a bit older :stare:

The dialogue between Carl and Lip over a beer and a big mac was really good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This season really picked up the last couple episodes. So good and last night was another solid viewing. Lip calling Fiona out on her poo poo was heavy as hell; I've had heated debates with my siblings and cousins that were pretty similar, so that part really hit close to home. The focus on family looking out for each other this season has been pretty moving, have to say. Good poo poo, glad it got renewed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Drifter posted:

Ahaha Kev flicking the loaded gun and saying "of course I know how to use it," is awesome. Kev is so cool.

The pube soap debate was hilarious.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Another good episode. At least more lighthearted. Kev going all survivalist is hilarious, but that scene between him and Vee after Carol had their baby was all :unsmith:. Also yeah, Mickey's scenes were goddamn amazing. Last scene with Liam and Fiona was pretty :3:, but now I wonder if Lip is still going to use Liam as a wingman every now and then.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

He also ditched his kid brother with his roommate's girlfriend so that he could get laid in a laundry room.

It was a quickie before he had class. It's not like Lip hosed the girl the entire time he had his roommate's girlfriend watching Liam.

quote:

I am not saying she should get a free pass, what?

I am saying that what Lip did was an overreaction, and I think him bringing back the kids at the end was an admission of this (as well as not arguing on the phone; dude loves to argue). There is a whole load of grey between Lip being completely right and completely wrong, and "he shouldn't have reacted as strongly as he did" is somewhere in there. Getting pissed at her for burning the food, sure.

Like, I could point out everything Lip did in this episode that could have potentially endangered Liam and Carl and take it to the most extreme possible outcome, and he would look bad too (example: it's not totally unheard of for college kids to use cocaine, they were certainly all drinking and smoking weed while "watching" Liam and Carl). There was a working fire alarm directly above the oven so it is highly unlikely that the place would've burned down with two adults in the house, I've burned enough food to know this. There's also a world of difference between getting drunk with only adults in the house and getting high on cocaine with a three year old running around, so I don't think you can fairly abstract both to "getting wasted and endangering others".

Lip was telling Fiona to get her poo poo together ever since the cocaine incident. You could see it all over his face when Lip was at the hospital; he knew Fiona was spiraling downward in a shitstorm, so he had to step it up and take over until Fiona was in a (relatively) better situation. Her getting drunk to deal with all the poo poo going on was irresponsible considering the circumstances, so I can understand Lip's reaction. And it's not like Lip was drunk at the dorm party too. He was studying, and he seemed to periodically check up on Liam and Carl. It was pretty obvious Lip made watching his younger siblings a priority in the wake of what Fiona did. I doubt he would let anything happen to them. All that said, Lip didn't overreact. He brought Liam over at the end because of Fiona's admission and her basically breaking down over the phone. Lip didn't say a word, but he knew Fiona was hurting.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aces High posted:

welp, I guess it was inevitable that the roommate was going to go after Lip, it would've kinda nnice to have avoided it since her boyfriend is a cool dude

Who knows, maybe her boyfriend is cool with it. He is pretty chill.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I'm loving this season, but things have gotten dark.

Not sure why I'm spoilering this since it's speculation, but this season would be grim if Kevin, despite loading up on assault rifles, MREs, and grenade launchers, ends up getting gunned down in a robbery or something, leaving Vee with 2 kids to raise on her own. Morbid thought, but I wouldn't rule out Shameless from pulling something like that this season considering how dark it's been up to this point.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fetus Tree posted:

I think that scene with bringing the bar to Shielas house was one of the best scenes, if not the best scene, in this entire show

As despicable as a character Frank is, that scene still managed to make me get all choked up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mickey coming out was great, and I couldn't help but feel relieved for him when he and Ian were shooting the poo poo outside, all bloody and battered. Huge loving burden lifted, and it made me feel good inside. This show is so drat good. Still am all :smith: about the little girl dying and Frank thinking it's Fiona.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

...it's Frank we're talking about. I very much doubt it.

Speculation, but I feel like the show is setting up Frank in a scenario where he actually does see the error of his ways and tries be a better person, to where we actually feel for him, only for it to end in absolute, finite tragedy, i.e., he gets murdered just at the peak of our emotional empathy for him. This show has never pulled its punches, so I wouldn't be surprised if the finale had a turn like that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

^^^Was pretty drat good. I'm betting on Hannibal's finale topping everything on TV though.

Mickey :unsmith: is for sure my favorite character now. What a great, but somber finale. God, I love this show.

[edit] Didn't realize Jeffrey Dean Morgan was cast in this show. I can see him being the solid foundation that Fiona needs in her life. He's so manly and badass, and his character seems to be a stable one from what little we saw of him. Bet Jimmy's gonna gently caress up that potential relationship somehow though.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oliver Reed posted:

EDIT: About Carl...I got such a bad vibe when he took the liquor from his father. This season showed that he's a good person where it counts but now he's heartbroken and I don't want to see him spiral downwards next season.

Lip and Fiona talking about nature versus nurture is kind of foreboding. That scene just reinforced the idea of Carl growing up to be a piece of poo poo like Frank.

• Locked thread