Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«50 »
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

I never feared death or dyin'
I only feared never tryin'
I am whatever I am
Only God can judge me now

Raylan and the Marshals caught Drew Thompson, Ava's been arrested for murder, Boyd is PISSED, and now that he's Wynn Duffy's point man for the heroin trade in Kentucky, he's essentially got the Detroit mob at his back.

poo poo is as on as it's ever been for the last four years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3we6iP0i_mw

Since we never saw Dewey Crowe last year, this year we get him and his entire freak-rear end family, headed up by Michael Rappaport. People will get hosed up; Art, Tim, and Rachel will say some badass poo poo; the chances of leaving Harlan alive will continue to decrease.

Once again, it all goes down January 7--

"Wait! I've never seen the show before! Can you sum it up for me?"

Son, the show starts out as Seth Bullock vs. Cletus Van Damme with a rocket launcher.

" Who are those guys?"

Okay, Timothy Olyphant (Deadwood) is Raylan Givens, a United States Marshal. He WAS stationed in Florida, but was exiled to his home state of Kentucky for a bad shooting. Walton Goggins (The Shield) is Boyd Crowder, Raylan's one-time best friend. He's now a small-time thug who gradually makes his way up the Harlan County criminal hierarchy. It was developed for television by Graham Yost (Boomtown, Band of Brothers), and based on the short story "Fire in the Hole" by Elmore Leonard.

Everything else is best learned as you go. Soak in the Elmore Leonard-y goodness of the pilot (seasons 1-3 are available on Amazon Prime, season 4 should be up pretty soon), grit your way through episodes 2 and 3, get your rear end kicked by episode 4, and just have fun with the rest of season 1 before season 2 blows you the hell away.

January 7. 10 PM ET. FX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conquistador
Oct 17, 2008

by Red Star Baldgreg

Two cool dudes.

Also, thanks for making the new thread. Didn't realize we were so close to being Justified.

Conquistador fucked around with this message at Dec 24, 2013 around 00:20

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

What was I supposed to say? "Uh, sorry boss, Agent King is actually a super-powered nutball. Just ask my buddy the urban legend!"

All the way ready for more Boyd.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my game! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! And I come back to the world and I see all those maggots at the airport, protesting, calling me baby killer and vile crap!

I'm pretty terrible about being able to watch shows live, thanks to family and work and whatnot I just DVR them and watch as able. This is not so with Justified, I watch this 5 minutes before to the very last minute, and drat it's good stuff.

Conquistador
Oct 17, 2008

by Red Star Baldgreg

Yes thats a really good point, other than sports I think this is the only thing on TV that makes me go like "it is about to be X o'clock, I better flip to Y channel"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd forgotten some of the specifics of how last season ended so thanks for the reminder!

At least I remembered how awesome this show is enough to put it in my top ten list.

Ghostpilot
Jun 21, 2007

He's a menace to himself and everything else in the sky...

Yes, birds too.

Guys, I am so ready for this! Maybe I'll finally be able to get my boyfriend into the show (dunno why he's being so stubborn: he's a massive Deadwood fan).

Conquistador
Oct 17, 2008

by Red Star Baldgreg

Ghostpilot posted:

Guys, I am so ready for this! Maybe I'll finally be able to get my boyfriend into the show (dunno why he's being so stubborn: he's a massive Deadwood fan).

How could anybody like a western but not want to watch the current best western on TV

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The four kidneys bit is what finally convinced a friend to watch it.

Cannot wait for this season with the Crowes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I can't wait for the adventures of Dewey Crowe(and his competent family members).

I wonder if we will hear anything else about Drew Thompson. I mean Raylan should be promoted to a sweet job since he caught him and I thought Arte was retiring.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

I see Wynn is taking a page from Boyd on how to dress in Harlan. Nice long black coat.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Also, glad to see Picker's still around.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

A show that gets better and better each season is a rare breed. Can't wait for some new Justified.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

No good ever came from a piece of cherry pie.

Ghostpilot posted:

Tell him there's an episode in which Bullock and Dan discuss chicken wings.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

I am whatever I am

First three episodes of Justified Season 5 are called...

"A Murder of Crowes"
"The Kids Aren't All Right"
"Good Intentions"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

You know what I love about Justified? The show is just plain fun. After grim anti hero shows like The Shield, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, etc. It's nice to have a protagonist you dont feel conflicted about rooting for.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

He WAS stationed in Florida, but was exiled to his home state of Kentucky for a bad shooting.

Hey, his shooting of the Zip was totally justified.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ever have one of those day?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

You know what I love about Justified? The show is just plain fun. After grim anti hero shows like The Shield, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, etc. It's nice to have a protagonist you dont feel conflicted about rooting for.

I do not know he is an ex nazi drug dealer.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Fuck all these stupid buildings.

SpookyLizard posted:

Hey, his shooting of the Zip was totally justified.

I hope they feature a bit more from that story on the show.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

And Mr Speaker, how many Nobel Peace Prizes does the Prime Minister have?

Dammit. Now I need to get some Pappy van Winkle

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I hope they feature a bit more from that story on the show.

Like the pilot episode? The shooting was totally Justified, he gave him 24hrs to leave Miami, bad shooting my rear end!

Seriously though with Breaking bad ending and surprise of the year Hannibal finished too I have just been waiting for this to come back. Unlike 24, Dexter or like most every TV show I never feel Justified is trying to be better than last season by doing stupid stuff.

Its just interesting characters and interesting stories. Last year had no real big bad with more a mystery feeling to it which was a nice change of pace. But I am totally ready for the Crow family being the big bad with a Duffy/Boyd tag team as well.

Just started reading Pronto and Rayland needs more Ice cream!

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Dammit. Now I need to get some Pappy van Winkle

And some of the best drat fried chicken you can find in your area.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I like to think that Showtime execs watch the FX channel and just openly cry at a show lasting 5 seasons and still have people who actually enjoy watching it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Fuck all these stupid buildings.

Midnight City posted:

I like to think that Showtime execs watch the FX channel and just openly cry at a show lasting 5 seasons and still have people who actually enjoy watching it.

I imagine it's complete befuddlement.

"Where is the complete tonal shift?! Why haven't they abandoned the central premise of the show yet!"

Ghostpilot
Jun 21, 2007

He's a menace to himself and everything else in the sky...

Yes, birds too.

Midnight City posted:

They're probably too busy trying to emulate another FX show that is wildly successful despite openly hating its viewership while constructing plots a child could poke holes through.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

I am whatever I am

The three of you assholes need to get some Shameless in you.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Shameless is the exception that proves the rule though.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

My family already more than meets the quota for amount of white trash that should be in your life.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

DivisionPost thread for Justified?

Hell. YES.

WarEternal
Dec 25, 2010

I love how whenever you put Raylan and a gun in the same room, he can get out of anything. It doesn't matter where the gun is, or who has the gun, etc. As long as there's a gun, he's a-okay.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

WarEternal posted:

I love how whenever you put Raylan and a gun in the same room, he can get out of anything. It doesn't matter where the gun is, or who has the gun, etc. As long as there's a gun, he's a-okay.

I just binge rewatched the end of last season, from about where Drew was identified to the end of the season. That scene in the nursery was so bad rear end I had to rewind to watch it over again. That and when he popped the fake cop in the bar and said something like, I hope I got that right.

Keyser S0ze
May 5, 2009

....and just like that, he's gone and set the fast lap again...

Midnight City posted:

I watched Dexter a few times back in 2006 but left it (didn't subscribe to Showtime anyway). Just started watching S1 again now on Netflix but I already know to skip to S4 then quit again. Right?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Keyser S0ze posted:

I watched Dexter a few times back in 2006 but left it (didn't subscribe to Showtime anyway). Just started watching S1 again now on Netflix but I already know to skip to S4 then quit again. Right?

Nah, S2 is probably the best and you need some of the plotlines fro. S3 to get the full payoff in S4.

But yeah, end it at S4

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I couldn't even advise going that far. The end of season 2 and all of 3 were complete poo poo, Lithgow being on season 4 was just a bandaid at that point so just avoid shooting yourself in the foot and quit the moment you read this. Delete your netflix account, salted Earth approach is the only way to be sure.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Keyser S0ze posted:

Just watch S1 and S2 then stop. S3 was kinda bad, but nowhere near as bad as the later season. S4 was pretty bad too with terrible pacing and IMO not even Lithgow saves it from being overall poo poo.

Basically every show needs to be like Justified where it gets better each season.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

tomapot posted:

That and when he popped the fake cop in the bar and said something like, I hope I got that right.

I forgot about that scene. His delivery of that line was so perfect.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I forgot about that scene. His delivery of that line was so perfect.
I had to rewatch that scene several time. It's just that good.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Nah, S2 is probably the best and you need some of the plotlines fro. S3 to get the full payoff in S4.

But yeah, end it at S4

You can't skip season 3, you'll have no idea who CHICKEY HINES is and you'll be lost without knowing about BLACK CAR

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

WarEternal posted:

The flip side of this is that I love it when Raylan doesn't have a gun, and you know he's about to get his poo poo pushed in. Rayaln being awful in a fistfight is one of my favorite things about the character. I knew way ahead of time that when he tried to fight that MMA guy, he was going to get punched very hard, and it was great.

edit: Don't watch any of Dexter. The glimmers of hope the show showed from time to time don't justify spending any amount of time on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

No good ever came from a piece of cherry pie.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

You can't skip season 3, you'll have no idea who CHICKEY HINES is and you'll be lost without knowing about BLACK CAR

Don't forget about the Big rear end Halogens!

Big. rear end. Halogens.

«50 »