Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So what's the first worst fanbase for a show about friendship?

Edit: (This post is going to seem apropos of nothing once the thread title has changed, haha.)

v v v Oh god, of course.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

1st AD posted:

Not really, all the "music" is really bad and the episode is one really badly written Glee joke. 'WHAT'S REGIONALS!?!?!??!?!?"

So you're just going to pretend that the whole great bodysnatchers aspect of the episode doesn't exist?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

I know almost nothing about copyright law, but there's something I'm confused about. Why exactly would NBC and Community need to be careful with the legal stuff with Inspector Spacetime when it's a parody? I thought parodies were supposed to be protected under Fair Use laws?

Fair Use only exists in the US. The UK/Commonwealth mostly has "Fair Dealing", which doesn't always cover parody.

For example, here in Canada, we don't have strong parody exceptions like the US, unfortunately:

quote:

Unlike fair use in the United States, which recognizes that parody can be fair, fair dealing in Canada has not definitely been found to contain exceptions for parody.

Apparently a bill had been introduced a few years ago that would have fixed that, but then our government had to call an election, and it died in the process. (It looks like the UK is currently considering a similar addition to their fair dealing laws.)

So I'm guessing, if you're dealing with a UK property (and want to syndicate your own show that's parodying it in the UK), you might have to be a bit more careful since they don't seem to have those exceptions concretely set in law, yet.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 31, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

seaborgium posted:

And does someone have a screengrab of Troy's signature from where they all signed the form to sue Greendale? I could have sworn it looked like an X, but it could have just been the way he signs it.

The top one does kind of look like an x, but it's hard to see.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

This is already amazing. I laughed when her kids started singing Creep, haha.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

"You can't stop me, because what are you gonna do, not have butts?"

Edit: Haha. Popular quote!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

What did he say the British Facebook was?

I think he said "Mugscroll".

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Pyronic posted:

Ben Folds as the Professor with the Salvia plant.

Sativa, it was weed.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Yessss it looks like the next episode is both Troy's farewell, and the campus-wide lava episode. That seems appropriate. :3: It's called "Geothermal Escapism".

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Also, how did I not recognize Jonathan Banks in the clips from that episode in the trailer?

I'm really excited.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, did season 4 have that episode with the celeb impersonators were Jeff Hulks out?

No, that's season 3. That's where Chang finds his child army for the finale plot.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Glover is gone and never coming back. Sorry.

Why don't you make that a Toxx, and we'll all see if it ends up being true.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Error 404 posted:

It's a stupid TVTropes thing.

No it isn't, it's a writing term.

It's also referenced in the 100th episode of Stargate: SG-1, Wormhole X-Treme!, which aired several years before TVTropes existed. (It was driving me crazy trying to remember what it was that it was referenced in, I'm pretty sure that was it.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 27, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ashpanash posted:

To be pedantic they referred to it as "hanging a lantern" on it (the context was, I think, how the team managed to escape from an enemy base, and the writer saying they could simply have someone say, "that was easier than I expected" rather than write out a complicated and expensive scene.)

Fair enough! And I think I was wrong about the episode, too, it was 200, not Wormhole X-Treme!.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

swickles posted:

What, I missed that!

For those who missed it:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Volume posted:

I'm really hoping they don't do anymore gimmick episodes. They're just tired and over played by now.

I think we have at least one more coming this season, guaranteed.

Based on Stardoz in the pre-season trailer.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Volume posted:

Wait, what?

The Olympics are going to be preempting the slot until February 27th.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fruitopia's still available here in Canada, so I was very confused about this response, at first. (I had no idea it was discontinued in the US.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Volume posted:

I didn't! I still got the episode on my DVR, do you want to give me an idea as to where in the episode this happens?

It's at the start of the montage, just like 3 minutes before the end.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

That episode always confused me. It resolves with Stan just accepting that everything is terrible and drinking from a hidden flask in his bedroom. Is Stan an off-screen alcoholic now?

Were you also confused when Kyle took on everybody's debt at the end of Margaritaville and it was never mentioned again?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

He's signed on to be in eleven of the thirteen episodes this season, and there's already been two episodes without him.

No... that's Jonathan Banks. John Oliver is only back for 6 episodes, I'm pretty sure.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

"And you just believed them? You just believed a bunch of ghosts??"

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

You are a nerd posted:

I haven't really been following this thread this season, can someone explain what this stupid ABC thing in the thread titles is?

I think it started off as a Glengarry Glen Ross reference and it just never stopped.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sakarja posted:

She was, but that was back in season 1. Then they forgot how to write for her character or something.

Didn't they have quite a few more female writers during season 1?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sakarja posted:

Judging from the promo pictures, she'll have more to do next week.

I just found a description of next week's episode...

S05, E08 (First Aired: March 6, 2014)

Dean Pelton lets two designers test their new social networking application at Greendale, leading to a war among the students; Professor Hickey decides to go underground until the battle ends.

Sounds like it could be the Stardoz episode? If so, I can't wait.

Also,

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Djarum posted:

There was.

It reads:

GCC 506/507 Has anyone heard from Troy? Is it true? He may have fallen into a perfect storm? His last contact location was DMS 70' 23' 49.68'. Could a "live" "Troy and Abed in the morning" via satellite be on the Horizon? Throw us a lifeline! GCC513

It was there in 506 but you couldn't read it.

:aaaaa: This is amazing.

I just looked the coordinates up, and it's the Bermuda Triangle. Haha.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 1, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sorry for the double post, but can anybody make out what Duncan shouts out partway through the last scene? "My father got drunk in pubs and left me by a _____________"

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I like how there is a poster congratulating the Marching Band for getting 5th place.

In 2010, no less.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

I think it might involve (from the season previews): Starburns as Zardoz: "All hail Britta!"

I'm very excited if that's the case.

Here's the shot from the promo:

Oh! And:

It looks like it is on the Britta poster. Stardoz tonight! :D

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

He likes to get laid, and he's not that old!

He was clearly saying lei'd. :colbert:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

"I think we're all pretty embarrassed."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Good god this thread has had the worst thread titles.
:regd08:

It's gotten to be less funny than the gas leak year.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 7, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Last Chance posted:

but in the latest P&R, Andy thought he was immune to bee stings because he was stung once before.

...are you saying that's out of character for Andy? You know he's always been that dumb, right?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Not out of character, no. But it just felt wrong to me. He's dumb, yeah, real dumb, but not knowing that a bee has a stinger that can pierce your skin is just silly.

Maybe not the best example, but it's the first one that popped in my head.

It's also silly to keep all of your bills in your freezer. Or to think that giving a computer monitor a whack would help to recover missing files. Or that frying marbles isn't the best way to test if a smoke detector is working. Or to not be aware that the Grand Canyon is not the same as Mount Rushmore. Or to think that Hogwarts is a real place. Andy has always been just silly.

Also, it's worth noting, Andy didn't get stung at all, so he was obviously right. :colbert:

Just so that I'm at least somewhat on-topic, haha... has there been any sign of a Troy update in the latest episode? I looked for one, but I didn't spot anything. (Although there is a bunch of new writing on that same chalkboard that I can't make out.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 10, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Twee as gently caress posted:

Are you really saying that in the fifth season thread of Community after Dan Harmon's return while we're looking at a very possible sixth season?

And... you think that's due to its good ratings?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

Young (and foreign) goon here, were these VCR games really A Thing ? I don't find much on the google.

Yup!

The Nightmare series was great (And was later made into a DVD Board game, Atmosfear.).

I've also played a Clue one, a Three Stooges one, and a Star Trek: TNG one.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I invest in stocks being an rear end in a top hat. You invest in fictional characters.

Fixed that for you.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Who is the guy in the avatar?

Inspector Spacetime.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

I've this season so far but (probably already been mentioned) why does Shirley seem like a background character now?

You think she felt like a background character in the two most recent episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Max posted:

I sort of know what he's talking about. She's been prominent in the last two episodes, but it doesn't feel like she's actually had any real development done to her character this season, aside from pushing the joke that she is secretly an evil mastermind underneath her happy christian exterior.

Who has gotten real character development this season? Abed's gotten... a hint of it, but it hasn't really paid off yet.

(Not that I think this is really an issue, I've loved this season, regardless.)

Hickey's almost gotten the most, just because we've had things to learn about him.

• Locked thread