Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Re: the OP, do they really need to do anything with Pierce's character? I thought his last scene in s4 was his graduation, so if he never shows up again it's not really an issue, surely?

Also, best s1 episode is Contemporary American Poultry :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe posted:

Its on Canadian Netflix. Get a VPN and watch that poo poo in HD (Netflix doesn't care).

VPNs are a pain for doing that, use a DNS replacement service like Unblock US (you just go on their website and change your Netflix region there). No tunnelling traffic through 3rd party servers then.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given everything is down this year, it's not soooo bad. Disappoints me that the second episode dropped a point, I can understand it not doing great against BBT, but the episodes of The Millers I saw were garbage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only thing I wish had changed was the lighting from 5x01 (which did really suit it) reverted to 'Classic Community' for the next episode, but that didn't seem to be the case. It's no huge deal, it's understandable that they're trying to run what should be an expensive show on a tight budget, but I miss the nice bright colours :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I rewatched the two episodes on my calibrated plasma, and they looked a bit better than when I watched them on my bedroom set, so everyone who got in a massive tizzy about me commenting on the lighting can relax now. It's still not great, but it wasn't *quite* the dismal attempt I originally presumed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unless they have plans to bring it back in the future, then the ACB was simply a plot device and not a character.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So tonight has been pretty hyped by critics and cast members, can't deny I have pretty damned high expectations now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Alan Smithee posted:

Shut up, can't watch til later :smith:

If it makes you feel better, I'm in the UK and won't get to see it until the morning.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

3am is a little too morning-y for my liking sadly. Drunken live watching SNL is sometimes fun though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given how badly Pierce was treated in the last season, I'm really glad that Dan Harmon turned it around this year... from the cameo in the Repilot to giving him a really nice send off as opposed to killing the character off out of malice.

I love a good bottle episode, and this must've been cheap as chips to shoot while being grade A Community. This can only be a good thing.

(The use of 'Ipod' rather than 'iPod' in that S4 jpeg annoys me mind)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sakarja posted:

It seems like Community's best chance for a sixth season is if NBC decides to keep it around as spackle. And that's assuming they don't make any major changes to their thursday nights. But if the ratings drop below 1.0 (which seems very likely to happen) it's hard to see why they'd want to keep it around. Sure, they still don't have anything to replace it with. But it must be a lot cheaper to just throw new shows at the problem than to bring Community back for another season. Maybe they'll give it another season just to avoid the never-ending #sixseasonsandamovie campaign that will inevitably follow if they don't.

While Community doesn't pull anything close to 'good' numbers, they at least know they have a dedicated fan base when Harmon is at the helm. It's probably better than spending a lot of time and effort developing a new show from scratch that pulls a 0.6, like the MJF show does.

quote:

But I can't understand why the people behind Parks & Rec would even want a seventh season (besides inertia and more money). With two cast members departing and others moving on to bigger and better things, it seems like the perfect opportunity to wind the show down.

I'm hoping they can use the cast members leaving as an excuse to give things a bit of a needed reset. Parks was at its best a few seasons ago, but goddamn if it isn't still a very funny show pretty much every week. I have faith in it, and if it means bringing Harris Wittels or Billy Eichner into more prominent roles, I'm all for it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sakarja posted:

I really enjoyed seasons two and three of P&R, but gave up on it pretty early in season four. That said, it never really became awful the way Community did in it's fourth season. It just became unfunny and stale, as everything that used to be funny about the show drowned in a river of twee, unfunny couple's stuff, as well as lacklustre antagonists, characters reduced to cartoon versions of themselves and rehashed stories. They still have a great cast, so there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to end the series on a high note.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, but s4 was the election year yeah? I think if you disliked that season then we're just going to fundamentally disagree about P&R, because personally I felt that was where the show came into its own. Awesome individual episodes with a really solid season length arc that took the show somewhere. I can see why people weren't so hot on it last year as it didn't have that feel, but I thought when they brought Eagleton into the mix this year it was going to go back to that. Sadly it hasn't panned out that way, maybe next year...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Came in here to see reactions of Don Glover possibly returning to Community, but maybe hasn't been posted here yet because it's not very solid info?

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2014/03/donald-glover-returning-community/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

S4 is pretty rough, but there are a few great bits and the Jim Rash episode is Top 10 material.

People were (rightfully) pissed at the time because it didn't look like the show would ever return to normality, so it was easy to hate on the show. Now you can just look at it like a substitute teacher while Harmon was on vacation or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I don't even know what to watch on TV anymore. All I have right now is Arrow and The Flash, but sometimes I just want to watch a 30 minute comedy while I eat some chicken nuggets.

Most of the best comedies are on cable these days, there's plenty to suit all tastes but mainstream, network comedy is nowhere near the strength it was at when that 30R/Community/Office/P&R block was in full force.

Personally, network wise, I really like The Goldbergs and Brooklyn 99 but ouch... nothing else really stands out (and I watch/ed pretty much every network sitcom).

E: gently caress it, Fresh Off The Boat has started super strong and I'm confident it'll stay consistently good. I still miss my Chris Meloni 90s throwback that was cancelled last year, but this'll take its place nicely.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 25, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Last Chance posted:

It's Always Sunny can usually get a few laughs out of me, but man those characters are hateful fuckers. I like a little heart with my comedy.

You should watch East Bound and Down! It's all the bitter nastiness of the gang concentrated down into one terrible human being!

(Who due to great writing and performances, you start to get fond of.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That was it, couldn't think of the name. Yeah, it was a super fun show and it's a shame it never found an audience. Meloni always kills it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hyped. Even out of context it's looking really fun. Stupid that Yahoo haven't been able to secure their own property within the UK, but not surprising based on their track record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No, it's smart. Because there's no way anyone will be putting episodes of Community online with no adverts that anyone can watch within minutes of it being released. Definitely no people they could've reached with advertising there whatsoever.

TBH it's a miracle that Yahoo are even still in business in 2015.

• Locked thread