Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
None. The avatar doesnt change. Crow spent more effort recreating his narrative using the ingame engine than level5 spent on writing the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

This entire back-in-time segment is so frustrating to watch. They waste the entire day doing nothing, all so they can fail to do whatever it is they set out to do. Because there is not way they're going to really save anyone. Which is a little frustrating given how "powerful" the group is at this moment, it should be trivial to split up, each group takes a king and saves them. Wear some big helmets so no ones recognizes you. But no, wait until the attack happens and THEN decide to meander through a dungeon.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

Leonard makes me pine for Nowe. By comparison he was a shining beacon of competence.

Holy cow, you're right. Nowe made good use of his powers, achieved his goals (blindingly stupid as they were with everyone yelling at him about it as they were) and got the girl in the end.

Level 5 actually made a less competent jrpg character than Nowe :psyduck:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Blind Sally posted:

None. The avatar doesnt change. Crow spent more effort recreating his narrative using the ingame engine than level5 spent on writing the story.

We appreciate his sacrifice. :patriot:

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

The worlds most lovably psychotic leprechaun.

SelenicMartian posted:

The "secret" passage was used to bring in the Knight.

Now next thing you're going to tell us is, that this back passage leads directly into the Knight cellar, through a set of huge doors which weren't there in WKC1.

...Should I tell him? Or shouldn't I? :allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Blind Sally posted:

But he's there in the cutscene videos too. Did he mod the game?

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I dont think you get it. from what I understand there are two games, one with orren, one with marcell. he played both up to the point that marcell dies, and now he's playing the one with orren.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Marcell was a technical contrivance turned into a joke. Blind Sally has the right of it: your Avatar never changes unless you pay Level-5 $6 for the privilege of changing it.

I wanted to show a change in Orren from the first game to the second one without paying any more money to Level-5 for a dead IP. So I gave him a different haircut, ditching the tribal flair for the grown-out naturally look. However, when you start a fresh game in WKCII, you don't have immediate access to all the parts needed to build Orren's outfit, even with a Game Genie. So instead of having him wearing a generic suit of armour like Marcell dons, I just held off including him in the LP narrative until I cleared the Numenshrine and had access to what I needed. So I created the most generic character I could to be the placeholder sacrificial lamb to the almighty god of keyfabe.

Plus, I figured that there would be no logical reason for Orren to still be with Leonard for a full year after returning from the gongshow that is game 1. It makes more "sense" if he tried to escape, found a peaceful and productive life away from Leonard, and was roped back into things against his will, and is only still here because everything he built and cares about is under threat otherwise. Because it's all about building up that righteous indignation for a proper, fantastic release in the ending and post-game.

Also, I have a theory on what's going on with the time travel in this game in regard to all the inconsistencies and time wankery like Lucius being aware of who Leonard and co. are despite them being inconsequential nobodies at that point. I'll explore that when we get to the appropriate point in the plot, though.

It's not a complete explanation, but it's more than they ever bother saying in-game, and if there's one thing both this game and 4 years of university have taught me, it's that 51% is still a passing grade, no matter how bad it might make you look.

janusmaxwell posted:

...Should I tell him? Or shouldn't I? :allears:

Captain's discretion. ;)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zoig posted:

I dont think you get it. from what I understand there are two games, one with orren, one with marcell. he played both up to the point that marcell dies, and now he's playing the one with orren.

There's actually four games being stitched together to form the opening chapters of game 2: Marcell, Orren 2.0, Cisna, and the random towny that appears for a single screenshot.

3/4s of it was all done in-engine. Anything where two or more characters are on screen together is photoshopped, but mostly everything else was accomplished through the game's onboard screenshot camera and posing mechanic.

Orrenstown itself was built through the Georama and is fully explorable in-game too.

The only real "mod" mod in play there was modding the Cisna mockup Avatar to give her the real Cisna's hair and clothing.

That file I actually played all the way up to the Sand Maze Ruins, because I wanted to see the hilariously ridiculous sight of Princess Cisna rescuing Princess Cisna.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

nine-gear crow posted:

That file I actually played all the way up to the Sand Maze Ruins, because I wanted to see the hilariously ridiculous sight of Princess Cisna rescuing Princess Cisna.

This is something I too now wish to see.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

The color green is a little weird in fiction. It's either bad because it represents poison, venom, or radiation. Or it's good because it represents healing, plant life, or vitality.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

You weren't there. In the final days. You never saw what was born. But if the time lock's broken then everything is coming through! Not just Madoras, but the Online Degradations. The Horde of Plot Contrivances. The Nightmare Child. The Could-Have-Been Queen with her army of Meanwhiles and You-Lack-The-Required-Materials-To-Bind-Thats. The war White Knight Chronicles turned into hell!

I love you so much right now. You need to see if you can rename anything at all into Bad Wolf.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is something I too now wish to see.

Cisna: Yep. Totally glad I invested in that cloning project now. When we get back to Balandor, I'm tripling Framboise's budget.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Magi Soldier: I have a wife and kids!
Orren: Then you shouldn’t have joined a death cult, dickhead!
[SPLAT]

To be fair, joining a Death Cult is a totally viable way to make a living. Of course, these Magi have never heard of the Emperor and pay Him no respect, so gently caress'em.

...Part of me is really hoping this explains why there are two Dragiases (Dragiasi?) in two places at once during the Castle sequence, though. Mainly because it'd mean Kara comes back. And why wasn't saving Kara's rear end priority one for these guys?!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

nine-gear crow posted:

Cisna: Yep. Totally glad I invested in that cloning project now. When we get back to Balandor, I'm tripling Framboise's budget.

This insanity gives me a thought: Would they rule the Kingdom together, would one try to backstab the other to eliminate competition, or would they have to alternate between sitting on the throne and babysitting Leonard? Perhaps all three? :v:

Hell, a Cisna sticking around barking orders at Leonard might marginally improve the party's success rate!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Cisna would never clone herself, the competition would be too risky. The smart thing to do would be to clone the minion who has the greatest combination of both loyalty and competence, such as...

...Maybe she made the best of a bad situation.

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

And now, a One-act sidestory about Orrenstown.

It's late afternoon when the warg farmer Delvadoth walks to the Mayor's office of Orrenstown, curious about being summoned so soon after a visit from Queen Cisna of Balandor to the humble township. He had barely touched to door to knock when the Mayor called from within "It's open!"

As Delvadoth walked into the Orren's home, modest but refined like the man himself, he was shocked to see several bags packed with clothes and other traveling items. The mayor himself was putting a pair of pants into one of the bags...dressed in a reddish-brown mercenaries outfit that the warg had never seen the Mayor wear before.

Orren looked up and said "Last one in, like I figured. Good harvest Del?"

Delvadoth tried not to let his surprise show too much as he replied "We found a good insect repellent for those cotton beetles, we may even have a surplus, come market time."

"Good news then, though it might make what I have to tell you even harder."

As he said this, Orren strolled over to a wall of his home where a huge great-axe was hung on a plaque, the look on his face a strange mixture of familiarity and a digesting a sudden bitter taste in his mouth.

Delvadoth looked worried as he stepped forward slightly. "What's going on Mayor?"

Delvadoth's worry turned to shock as the slim human picked the axe up off the wall and experimentally swung it around, finding a feel for the balance and weight. Briefly wondering how a man could wield a weapon so massive even a warg such as himself would have trouble with, Delvadoth almost missed Orren saying as he stretched "There's a key on the table for you, take it."

Turning from the mayor's movements, Delvadoth spotted the simple iron key quickly. Striding over and picking it up, Delvadoth turned back to the Mayor, who nodded with satisfaction at the axe despite still having the bitter food look.

"What's the key for?" asked the farmer.

In response, Orren pointed with the butt of the weapon to his desk and said "Underneath my desk is a safe in the floor, with 6 locks in it. Your key fits one of those locks, but to open the safe you need all 6."

Orren fastened the axe into a holster on his back with a well-practiced maneuver as he continued. "The other 5 keys are with Vincent, Irina, Juliana, Rena and Dianus."

Orren strode over to Delvadoth with a serious...and a little sad expression on his face. "I'm telling you what I told them. The thing I had to do, to get the money for Orrenstown? It's now come back to bite me on the rear end and if word gets back here that I've been killed, the 6 of you to come here and open the safe."

Delvadoth looked at the back-up plan in his large hand and wondered briefly at what could've been so horrible when the mayor leaned closer to him and said in a low voice "But you alone are also going to know what's in the safe, and what I want you to do with it."

The wark looked surprised and flattered for a moment before leaning in attentively. "What's in the safe?"

"500,000 gold"

Delvadoth :aaa:

"It's an emergency fund for the town, in case there was ever a flood or a plague or something, to buy new building material or medicine."

Orren reached out and gripped the wargs wrist hard, surprising Delvadoth out of his stupor with it's strength. Pulling Delvadoth closer so he and the human were eye-to-eye, Orren whispered. "If you hear that I've died...that money becomes an evacuation fund."

Delvadoth :stonk:

"You split that money with everyone in town and tell them to get the hell out of here. Forget this place ever existed and scatter to wherever you want, but don't come back and don't ever mention you ever knew me or this place."

The shock took a few moments to wear off but soon enough Delvadoth shook his head and said "Mayor...what in the hell is going on!?" The color drained from the wargs face as he asked "Is it...the magi?"

Orren leaned back, shocked at the question. But then he let out a short bark of a laugh and said "I wish! No, it's so much worse than that...I could take out those Magi pussies by myself if they thought about invading here!"

Today was just the day for Delvadoth to have his mind blown as he heard his mild-mannered mayor let loose such a curse so easily.

"I like Orrenstown, and I like to think I've done a good job with the place. The people here work well together and are happy to live here."

Orren paused and his face turned serious before he spoke again. "If I don't go back into my own personal hell, yet again, Orrenstown will be destroyed."

Briefly letting that sink into the farmers brain, Orren continued "But more importantly, if I die...There's no reason for Orrenstown be held for ransom. And the person who threatened this place will probably destroy it anyway if I fail."

Orren turned around and slung his packs over his shoulders. Turning back he said "You and the other foremen have the run of the place...provided I succeed, I'll be back before any sticky mayoral situations pile-up" pointing to Delvadoth, he added "Don't tell the others the details of the back-up plan until you hear the worst...I don't want people to panic or worry if they don't have to."

As Orren strode over to the door of his house, Delvadoth found his voice and said "Mayor! What in the world...How can you...What are you going to DO?!"

Standing framed in the doorway, Orren paused. He put a hand on the doorframe and looked over his shoulder with a humorless smile.

"I gotta go babysit a retard with an ancient superweapon...and make sure he doesn't kill us all."

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:aaaaa::golfclap::aaaaa:

N-no words... They should have sent a poet.

That was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. You know what. Sure. It's LP canon. Mind if I edit it into the Chapter IV post?

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

:aaaaa::golfclap::aaaaa:

N-no words... They should have sent a poet.

That was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. You know what. Sure. It's LP canon. Mind if I edit it into the Chapter IV post?

:aaa:

You go right ahead good sir!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Thank you kindly. I wish I had something to reward you with. And No Gravitas too, by the way. I need to get around to that too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...well, of course there's a Georama, why wouldn't there be? But yeah, that was some amazing kayfabe.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Now if this was a better game like Radiant Historia I fully expect that we'll fail this upcoming scene. Why? Because we've exhausted this timeline's range.
The solution? Take the fact that we know where the secret entrance is and enter it at the start of the day and nip some of the story in the bud.
We have a time travel book and he now can abuse history as we see fit. But no... I expect this will all mean nothing.

The Radiant Historia book was a better time traveling book and probably came out first.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

So now we’re going to try and save Archduke Dalam from… Ya know, I’m not really sure what he even died from the first time around. Though we do sort-of find out what gets him in this chapter.

AREA MUSIC:Infilftration” (Disc 1, Track 12)

This is the underground waterway beneath Balandor Castle. Like I said in the previous chapter, it’s one of a scant few new dungeons in game 2, because about 75% of the content from game 1 is recycled for White Knight Chronicles II, including plot elements.

This is basically what the area consists of: parallel walkways on either side of a maze of canals, occasionally punctuated by large rooms with giant enemies in them.

This dungeon is an absolute nightmare for one infuriating this reason: these assholes.

These are Skeletons, yet another one of the new enemy types introduced in the second game. Apparently Balandor Castle’s catacombs are chock full of the unquiet dead. I don’t know why there’s all these skeletons shambling around the castle basement. …Maybe Valtos was ALSO up to some questionable poo poo?

Like father, like daughter?

Anyway, Skeletons are terrible to deal with because they have incredibly high defense stats and the status effect Body-Guard on them permanently. Body-Guard raises whoever it’s cast on’s defense stat to the point of practically nullifying physical attacks. It’s denoted by the little tan bubble with the shield icon beside their HP crystal.

The status effect that makes you immune to magic attacks is called Magic-Guard and is denoted by a green bubble icon.

Skeletons are weak only to smashing attacks and fire-based spells and skills. All undead enemies in the game are weak to fire attacks, interestingly enough.

What you need to do is wail on them with smashing attacks enough times to break their barrier. When that happens they collapse into piles of bones and you can deal actual damage to them.

However, while they’re immobile and defenseless, they only remain so for a limited time, and their defense stats are so high that no matter what level you are you usually won’t be able to kill them in one round of this, so you could spend up to five minutes trying to kill just one Skeleton.

And this dungeon is PACKED with them. There’s nearly 50 of them in this dungeon, I swear to god.

You can, however, knock them down instantly using either Holy Light or +Holy Light, the Divine Magic spell specially designed to hurt undead enemies. It also has a random chance of scoring a one-hit-kill on undead enemies too.

Just to be even more dickish, Skeletons can inflict two status ailments on you too which can linger long after they’re dead: Poison…

And HP Leak. HP Leak is the anti-Regen status, any party member who has it slowly loses HP until they either die or it wears off.

It’s denoted by the broken HP gem and arrow drifting downward.

There is no way to remove HP Leak, the only thing you can do is mitigate its effects with Healing Breeze, which gives you Regen status and slows the rate of loss down to a trickle.

You don’t get to learn any skills that allow you to inflict HP Leak on enemies yourself, by the way. And as you can imagine, the MP afflicting version of this status effect is MP Leak, and is denoted by a broken MP gem icon.

The further into the game (and post-game) you go, the more often you’ll encounter enemies who inflict HP/MP Leak status. It’s just another little way for the game to say “gently caress you.”

So it’s around this point in the dungeon that I switch to the Avatar because I’m playing an axe/hammer Avatar and axe/hammer skills are almost custom-made for ruining Skeletons’ poo poo in short order.

Halfway through the dungeon, we enter a large room with a Dire Waterspider in it. We’ve encountered Direspiders and Dire Firespiders before, but this is our first Dire Waterspider. It’s weak to slashing attacks and fire attacks.

Actually, everything in this dungeon is weak to fire-based attacks, what with this being a water level. It’s populated by Remoras, Waterspider Sprogs, and Blue Scorpions, in addition to the fuckton of Skeletons.

To deal with the Dire Waterspider, I whip out the White Knight, however…

Thanks to this game’s terrible combat camera and the room being too small to properly contain two giant beings at the same time, the camera crashes in close to the White Knight, so all you can really see is a close up shot of Wizel’s colossal metal rear end while you fumble around relying on the sub-target menu and mashing the X button to take out the spider.

And with the giant enemy taken care of, poo poo-for-Brains goes back to NPC status until I need him again.

We also encounter one of the most rarely seen enemies in White Knight Chronicles II down here: the Wraith.

For whatever reason, Wraiths only show up here in the waterway, and thank god because they’re ALSO nightmares to deal with. Just like Skeletons, they have Body-Guard status by default, but unlike Skeletons, it can’t be broken by attacking it. You need to use either Holy Light or +Holy Light on them, and even then it’s only temporary. It will return after about two minutes or so.

They’re also some of the strongest flat-out non-boss enemies you will encounter outside of Golems.

So let’s put +Holy Light on Orren’s command bar and see what we can do with it.

The power of Crystal Dragon Jesus COMPELLS YOU!

[NOT PICTURED: 5 minutes of this thing loving me over, interrupting my casting of it several times, silencing me, and MP draining me.]

There’s another thing that makes Wraiths absolutely terrible. They will also summon smaller enemies called Succubi (singular Succubus) for backup. Succubi are also terrible because they have Body-Guard on by default and can’t be harmed by physical attacks until you remove it with Holy Light.

They’re also heavy hitters, and can cast various status ailments and elemental magic spells. They also have a disturbing element to their character models, in that their boobs have jiggle physics and flop around with every wild movement they make.

I should be counting myself lucky, however, because this is about as fanservice-y as the game gets, barring the occasional upskirt shot of Yulie (who’s at least 19), and some of the armours which you can bind (which are held just out of reach from most players anyway, so the likelihood you’ll ever actually see any battle bikinis is very low). Besides, there’s enough embarrassing stuff in this game already.

However, if there’s one sure-fire cure for uncomfortable sexuality, it’s proudly showing off your big Japanese robot. So I pull out the White Knight here to lay into everything in the room after I debuff everything with +Holy Light.

Again, you’re smushed in close to the back of the White Knight here, though you do get an interesting close up of its inner workings here.

One good +Divine Blade attack clears the room of everything but the Wraith and a lone Succubus.

Here’s a better full-body shot of the Wraith.

And down it goes.

Orren: I’m just going to blame this on Cisna and move on.

And here’s that Blue Scorpion I mentioned.

We also encounter several gates in this dungeon. Most of them up till now have opened up without issue. This one, right near the entrance to the castle, however, is the sticking point. The path splits in two here. This path would let you bypass the five Skeletons stacked up along the other path.

But this is White Knight Chronicles II. And White Knight Chronicles II hates you. So you have no choice by to run the gauntlet through the horde of hard-to-kill Skeletons.

[REMOVE SKELETON]

And finally, we make it to the castle basement access.

The way into the castle is there on the left, but I just want to point out this door up ahead.

You can’t open the door right now, but if you come back here in the post-game, you find that this door leads to the “Beneath Balandor” section seen in Chapter IV of the first game, leading right down to the Incorruptus Vault.

So yeah, Lucius had the right of it in the previous chapter. This area was indeed used to haul the White Knight armour into the vault in the basement.

I know; you’re all stunned right now. Holy poo poo! Something in White Knight Chronicles was logically consistent and made practical sense!

Treasure this feeling. It won’t last long…

Most of the Live Talk during this dungeon consists of the characters marvelling over how the place was constructed, but there is one plot-relevant conversation that happens when we get close to the objective marker.

Leonard: So this is like… a chance to do things over?
Miu: If it is, then I have only one wish: to save Grandfather.
Eldore: We can walk through the past, but know that road beneath us may well be set in stone.
Yulie: I guess some things even magic can’t change.

:allears: Again, Leonard is blindly optimistic that he can fix things this time around. Eldore and Yulie know better than to assume it’s even possible.

CUTSCENE: Assassination Averted
CUTSCENE MUSIC:Attack” (Disc 1, Track 11)

As Team loving Up In Reverse enters the castle, we get some redone shots of the clash between the Balandor army and the Magi.

Again, it’s more examples of subtle touches of actual talent behind the game as the camera flies through the middle of the melee and focuses on an open door in the background.

A pair of Farian soldiers square off against two Magi goons.

This guy gets stabbed in the flank for his trouble and goes down.

Eeeeeh, poo poo… Things ain’t looking good for Archduke Dalam… Again.

Nice loving job waiting for him to be in the most peril he will ever be in to mount your rescue, guys. Christ this party is so loving incompetent.

Dalam: Errr…

If you listen to the voice acting, it sounds like he’s just groaning in mild disinterest over one of his bodyguards dying in front of him.

Farian Soldier: Gah!

Belcitane: Well well well!

Belcitane: It looks like our metaphorical mouse trap has succeeded in catching the big cheese.

Belcitane: Archduke Dalam, if I’m not mistaken.

So yeah, now we know what Belcitane was doing inside Balandor Castle the night of the attack. He was the one who killed Dalam in the original timeline; Cyrus merely happened upon the aftermath.

Also, I would normally be one to call out the mixed metaphor, but it’s Belcitane we’re talking about. It was probably intentional.

Belcitane: Prepare to meet you maker!

Belcitane: Dead and LOVING IT THIS poo poo.

Farian Soldier: No!

Belcitane: But before you die, I’d just like to expre—

Belcitane: URGH!

Belcy gets cut off mid-sentence by his soldiers falling on top of him.

Magi Soldier: Uh?!

Oh look, our heroes have arrived.

To my knowledge, this is the only time in either game where the Avatar is depicted as a) holding an actual weapon and b) engaging in actual combat in-cutscene.

Because this (and one or two other things in the game) is Level-5’s way of responding to the criticism by players of the first game that the Avatar was an infuriatingly useless feature in the single player story. So Level-5 proudly proclaimed that the Avatar actually played a larger role in White Knight Chronicles II. I’ll let you judge the veracity of that claim when we’re all done with things.

Also, I’m guessing Orren just randomly grabbed a sword off the floor or something for a second. …Because Level-5 didn’t want to bother animating the characters attacking with the weapons they have equipped because it meant animating up to six different animation styles for Eldore, Leonard and the Avatar depending on the weapon.

Yulie and Miu don’t get to participate in the battle, by the way.

In the meanwhile, we get a Leonard Victim POV shot. Now you too can experience the pants-making GBS threads terror of being one of Leonard’s many, many victims over the course of this story.

Leonard: I’M HELPING!

Magi Soldier: Urgh…

Were it only that the game ended here, but alas we have to continue.

Miu: Grandfather! Are you alright?!
Dalam: Miu! Why are you here?

Eldore: Father Yggdra sent us, sire.

Eldore: …In a manner of speaking.

Dalam: I… I see. Thank you.

I love how he just unquestioningly accepts this. :allears: Dalam is apparently the Archduke of not giving a single gently caress, and for that, we thank him.

Farian Soldier: Take the Archduke. If you can make it out of town, you can find our troops… Ugh… encamped on Greydall Plain.

Farian Soldier: His Excellency will be safe there.
Leonard: You got it.

Farian Soldier: Uuh.

Miu: Grandfather, we must go!
Dalam: Indeed.

Leonard is surprisingly shaken up by watching the Farian soldier die right in front of him.

Don’t worry, it doesn’t last long.

Belcitane: Rrrragh!

Belcitane: A perfectly good monologue—RUINED!

:allears:

Belcitane: They’ll pay for this.

This is a man who has his priorities straight.

Dalam: Yes, of course, thank you.
Leonard: C’mon! Before the Magi catch up.
Miu: Grandfather, are you alright?
Dalam: Yes, my dear. I only fear I have put you in danger.
Leonard: Nothing new there, sir.
Eldore: We’ll keep you safe, Your Excellency. This ordeal will be over soon.
Yulie: You be careful too, Miu.

So we have to go back through the waterways again to get out of the castle. This is run #2 of the three runs through this dungeon I mentioned last time.

The locked/unlocked gates throughout it have been reset between cutsenes, forcing you to take a completely different route out than you took in.

We also get Archduke Dalam as a guest party member for this part of the game, so the Enforced Escort mission continues. Same rules apply: if Dalam dies, it’s game over.

Dalam, however, is not as defenseless as you might imagine him to be. He’s actually rather powerful mage. He has only one spell, Flame Lance, but because all the enemies in this dungeon are weak against fire attack AND he’s got unlimited MP AND he can actually use magic competently compared to every other character in the game, he’s actually the most useful party member you can have for this section of the game.

Dalam is also an odd duck in terms of his combat style too. He is the only completely unarmed combatant in the game. Everyone else either fights with a weapon, or the unarmed guest character you encounter, like Cisna, don’t engage enemies in combat.

You can actually copy Dalam’s playstyle for yourself if you want to. Magic doesn’t need an equipped weapon to be used, so you could realistically invest all your SP into spells and run around unarmed and blowing things up with magic alone.

So because the gates leading to the exit are locked, we need an alternate route. Luckily, there’s one in the dungeon, seen here on the eastern extreme of the map.

In this cell here is a tunnel that leads out into the waterway. It’s not on the map, so your only hint that it’s there is the odd little passage to nowhere at the top of the open room directly above it on the map as seen a few images up.

No doubt this is also the cell that thief escaped out of, leading to Lucius quitting the Castleguard in disgrace.

And they never bothered to plug the hole in the wall he apparently blasted with the 20 sticks of dynamite he smuggled into the dungeon stuffed up his rear end or something.

The hidden passage leads to a one-way drop into the large room on the map.

And of course, there are Skeletons in it. Because the game wants you be intimately familiar with these fuckers by the time you get out of this place.

[NOT PICTURED: 30 minutes of the same tedious bullshit you went through the first time around]

Miu: Grandfather! Are you alright?
Orren: You’ve literally said that three times now.
Dalam: Y… Yes…
Leonard: The Farian camp can’t be far. Let’s press on.

AREA MUSIC:Greydall Plain” (Disc 1, Track 19)

So for whatever reason, tonight it’s raining on Greydall Plain, despite it being a relatively clear night in the original timeline.

I guess it’s so the game can show off its rain effects engine. Everything does look sufficiently wet and shiny.

:confuoot:

There’s pretty much nothing to say about the run to the Farian camp. The enemies aren’t any different outside of them being scaled to your level, so it’s still a slog to get through, and you’re still under the gun of the enforced escort mission thanks to having Miu and Dalam with you.

The only thing of note on Greydall Plain this rainy night is that there’s an Elite Troll King parked right in front of the bridge leading to the boss fight. This guy is here primarily to goad you into using the White Knight on it. If you take the bait and spend all your AC trying to defeat it then the boss fight up next is somewhat harder.

Right out of the gate, however, the King puts its shield up and automatically gains Body-Guard…

And Magic-Guard status, making it nearly immune to physical and magical attacks. Not totally immune, mind you, but it nerfs your attacks down to like low double digit numbers, which against giant enemies at this level means you’re going to be here a while.

This is where your characters’ stat boosting and breaking skills come in handy. Axe and sword players have skills that can lower enemy physical attack and defense stats, while longsword players have skills that can lower magical attack and defense stats. So through judicious character swapping between Leonard, Eldore and the Avatar I manage to break the King’s defense and offense stats, as well as nail it with Slow just to add insult to injury.

There’s also Divine Magic spells that inflict these status ailments to supplement characters who don’t have these skills naturally in their available weapon skill lines.

Dalam also gets quite a few hits in in this fight. Is it sad that the combat-adverse monarch who was murdered by loving Belcitane has been the most competent guest party member so far? You don’t even really need to treat him all that delicately in combat either. With a lot of other guest characters you need to have some combination of a physical and magical barrier buff on them at nearly all times, but with Dalam, he’s got enough HP and high enough stats to weather most things the game will throw at him if you have everyone set to Heal First tactics.

And before long, the King goes down. There’s only a few more enemies ahead of you at this point, but you can easily charge past them to trigger the cutscene, so this is the point where you’d heal up and just make a run for it, which I did when I played through it. You can hear the tail end of the battle music from when I agro’d a swarm of enemies and then ran in the cutscene itself.

Dalam: Perhaps it was a mistake to take so few guards.

So... FEW?! Um, Your Excellency, I don’t mean to be rude or what not, but did you not see THE ENTIRE loving ARMY you brought with you in the opening chapter of game 1? Emperor Palpatine doesn’t bring this many elite soldiers with him when he shows up somewhere!

Regardless, however, our future awaits on the other side of the bridge.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 19, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CUTSCENE: Confronting Belcitane… Again

The group presses on, nearing the Farian camp…

But the Archduke suddenly collapses. Methinks some Final Destination poo poo is about to catch up with us.

Orren: Oh come the gently caress on already.
Dalam: It feels as a great weight is staying my feet.
Orren: It’s called stupidity. Power through it.

Leonard: Uh!

And of course, Leonard remembers too late that Belcitane has access to an airship, so of course he would be able to parachute down right in their path.

Keep in mind, by the way, that by this point in the evening, King Valtos is dead and Cisna has already been kidnapped. It’s not in any way relevant to what’s happening right now, mind you; I just don’t want you to forget what a giant utter gently caress up Leonard is.

Belcitane: At last, the mouse wanders home.

Leonard: Just as annoying as ever.

Belcitane: I will admit, you got the best of me at the castle. But you’re going to get the WORST of me now, I promise you that!

Once again Belcitane is the unironic best part of the game.

BOSS FIGHT: Becitane (& Betaena Gigas) (with commentary by nine-gear crow and Blind Sally)
CUTSCENE / BOSS BATTLE MUSIC:A Worthy Opponent Draws Near

So here we go, fight #3 with Belcitane. And much like the first time we fought him he’s got a retinue of soldiers with him that are also going to cause you some trouble. Though unlike last time, these soliders are actually kind of tough to deal with.

There’s four swordsman and two wizards. One of these assholes also turns into a gigas when you defeat him, so be on the lookout for that.

Now this is where you whip out the White Knight, right at the start of the battle.

Now, there’s one really beneficial aspect to transforming into Knight mode that I really haven’t covered yet, and that has to do with the accessories you have equipped on the Incorruptus itself.

Certain accessories which can be bound at an Incorruptus Mechanic grant temporary bonuses to party members upon transformation. Right now the White Knight has a Saint’s Grace and a Knight’s Awakening accessory equipped.

The Saint’s Grace grants a slight boost to everyone’s overall stats for about a minute or two after you transform. The Knight’s Awakening heals all party members a small amount after you transform.

The only person in the party these bonuses don’t apply to is the person who transformed into the Knight itself, for the obvious reason that you’re using a Knight—that’s your transformation bonus right there.

I start thing off with a Strong Slash attack to take out most of the soldiers in one hit and knock Belcitane off his feet for a few moments.

But in doing that, I trigger the trap soldier’s gigas transformation, so now I have to content with a Betaena Gigas in addition to Belcy.

You all know what to do against a gigas now, right?

Stabby stab stab.

At this point in the fight, I turn the White Knight over the :downs: AI and hop into the Avatar in order to break the poo poo out of the gigas and Belcy.

Unfortunately…

This is where being an axe player tends to bite you in the rear end. The inherently terrible accuracy of the axe catches up to me at the worst possible time and miss like three consecutive Arm Shatters in a row, taking a significant bite out of my MP. Because the game counts both miscast and interrupted skills as having “fired” and takes away the MP used to cast them anyway.

Because this game hates you.

And then to make matters worse, the gigas belches a bunch of black smoke at me, and what limited accuracy Orren had to begin with is pretty much erased now that he has Blind status on him and I don’t have any items or skills to remove it.

Regardless of that, however, I at least get an Armour Shatter off on the gigas…

And on Belcitane, so I just increased everyone’s damage potential against both of them by 1.5x, though at the cost of all my remaining MP.

Meanwhile, in the background, Leonard was absolutely useless in the hands of the AI, and spent all his MP using anything but stabbing attacks on the gigas.

I hopped back into him to use a last minute Mana Potion on him to keep the White Knight in the fight, but the game went “no, gently caress you.” And his MP bar hit zero right as I got control over him again.

The only saving grace of the matter was that the gigas had been brought down to a quarter health thanks to Eldore, Miu and Dalam wailing on it, AND the transformation stat bonuses from the first time poo poo-for-Brains transformed were still in play.

Next, I hop into Eldore and break Belcy’s magic attack power to cut down on the damage his spells had been doing. He has the same skills he does when you fight him at the Bunker Lode Ruins: tier 2 elemental spells which have a random percentage chance of inflicting specific status ailments, and a Poison-inflicting spell.

I also try to break his magical defense so that Dalam can get a few good hits on him too.

I also score a break chance on the giga’s left leg…

But it spins its whole body away from me instantly, and by the time I get around to try and strike its knee again to get to fall, the break icon vanishes. See, I told you this poo poo was going to start happening more often when we hit game 2.

But in time, the gigas goes down, and now it’s just us an Belcitane, 5-on-1.

So I let Eldore take a few crazy swings at the uppity midget with the sword that is nearly his own height long.

Slashing attacks are the big thing with longswords. Any variation the ‘Fang’ attack, Dual Fang, Triple Fang, or Deadly Fang are multi-hit attacks that compound their damage dealt with every successful hit.

Once again, please enjoy this somewhat pointless series of still images of Maxwell Sheffield omnislashing the gently caress out of Master Shake.

With Eldore Sleep’d, Orren nearly out of MP, and not being allowed to control either Miu or Dalam, I’m forced back into Leonard for a moment.

Until he’s paralyzed and I hop into Orren.

It’s at this point in the fight, when Belcitane’s nearly out of HP that something curious happens from a narrative standpoint: he screams out Eldore’s name in frustrated rage.

It seems to imply that Belcitane and Eldore know one another, or at the very least, this isn’t this “first” encounter. Because remember, at this point in the timeline, Belcy has no idea who this dumb kid with the stupid haircut is or what he’s doing here thwarting his plans.

Again, this is another “something that would make Eldore interesting” that’s just kind of plopped down with no follow up and goes undeveloped. Plus, shouldn’t something have been said during game 1 between them? Eldore and Belcitane exchange only 1 line of dialog directly to one another, and its Eldore mocking Belcy for being an idiot and grabbing Leonard’s Ark when he knew it would reject him. Hardly enthralling stuff from a characterization standpoint.

gently caress I hate how this could have been a decently written game with just a little more effort.

They say, sometimes, that pure zen is the moment right before impact.

SKADOOSH

And, just like that, Belcitane is dead.

Wait.

Did we just kill Belcitane? That doesn’t happen in the original timeline.

Oh poo poo.

Orren! You’ve changed the future!

YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX!

Orren: Totally worth it.

CUTSCENE: But the Future Refused to Change

Oh, wait. I guess he’s okay then. Nevermind people, false alarm. Final Fantasy XIII-2 averted.

Belcitane: GAH-ugggh!

Leonard: Looks like you lost again.
Orren: Moron! Don’t start gloating. Horrible poo poo always happens when you start thinking you’ve won. gently caress, where’s Shapur when you REALLY need him?

Belcitane: Heheheh.

Belcitane: I always have a sharp…

Belcitane: RETORT!

*shing!*

Well poo poo, it’s a Kryptonite dagger. WATCH OUT SUPERMAN!

Fun fact about this dagger: You can’t actually buy or bind it in the base game. I looked for it. It might have been purchasable in the online guild economy, or unlockable after you like cleared a certain quest, bounty or errand, but otherwise no, you can’t have thing, and that’s awfully rare for this game.

…Rare as in you’re never permitted the chance to own it—the game CONSTANTLY goes “you can’t have this thing” to you in terms of cool poo poo, but at least you have the option of one day owning it if you sell enough of your soul to Level-5.

I wonder which of these characters is going to die at the tip of this dagger.

I wonder who.

Is it going to be the young woman with a good moral compass and a throne waiting her back in the present who needs a push to get her to take some responsibility for herself and others?

Or will it be the guy who's already died once before at Belcitane’s hand and whose death will literally change nothing anyway?

Miu: Ah!

CUTSCENE MUSIC:Scar” (Disc 2, Track 13)

Orren: Holy poo poo, I was JOKING!!!

Well, congratulations shitfucks, thanks to your involvement and steadfast dedication to competence, you are now directly responsible for Archduke Dalam’s death, instead of merely tangentially like you were before.

:golfclap:

Eldore: Oh no!

Eldore: Do we suck at this or what?

Belcitane: Bullseye!

Best. Part. Of. The. Game.

Sadly, because the game hates you, this is the last we’re going to see of Belcitane ever. Still, it’s a more dignified exit this time around than getting shanked and left for dead by a potted plant with an eye patch, so at least we’ve rectified one travesty from the first game.

Leonard: Dammit!
Leonard: [INEFFECTUAL PANTYWAIST MOAN]

Useless loving idiots. Every one of you. Even you, Yulie. I’m sorry.

Leonard: I’m going to charge him blindly with no weapon and not transform because that will fix everything because I’m helping!
Yulie: Get back here YOU MORON!

Belcitane: Suck it, bitches!

Look at that smirk. LOOK AT IT!!!

This is the look of a man secure in the knowledge that even from beyond the loving grave he’s still able to make Leonard look like a goddamn tool.

For the final time: Belcitane is LOVING THIS poo poo.

Rest in peace, buddy. You’ve earned it.

Belcitane: Ha ha haaah! Now then…

Belcitane: If you will excuse me.

And he teleports away.

While Yulie and Orren run after the Human Negative Productivity Score to try and stop from blindly punching the air or something.

Leonard: Uuh!

Yes, hang your head in shame you idiot. A DEAD MAN just rolled you. And we’re still not even close to the apex of Leonard Is A Useless Stupid Idiot Who Makes Things Worse, Always moments.

Yulie: I hate that I know you soooo hard right now.

Well, now the only thing left to do is head back and prod the result of their handiwork with a stick.

I swear, the only way this could get any more embarrassing is if the Retrospecticon brought us back to the Numenshrine right now so we’d have to explain to a horrified Lorias and Scardigne why we’ve come back to the present with Archduke Dalam’s fresh corpse.

Miu: Grandfather!

Miu: No. I won’t lose you. Not when I’ve finally got you back!

Miu is understandably devastated by not just having to re-live the death of her grandfather, but to re-live it in person this time. So now you can add “compounded the emotional turmoil of an innocent teenage girl” to Leonard’s long list of crimes against competence.

Dalam: Miu…

Miu: Yes?

Dalam: I am so glad you are safe, little princess…

Dalam: Do not grieve, child. Dying is not the same as parting. I will stay with you always, no matter where you go.

Dalam: Miu. Listen to me. The enemy seeks to possess a great power. And I fear they will soon have it.

Dalam: Neither human nor Farian can hope to stand against it, so long as we still stand against each other.
Orren: If you’re talking about the Sun King… Grazel already has it.
Dalam: gently caress me, really? Urgh. You people really do suck.

Dalam: You must unite our peoples. Promise me.

Has someone realised that she needs to get off her dainty rear end and take a little charge of things around here?

Miu: But Gradfather… I am not a leader like you.

Oh, nevermind then.

Dalam: Ha ha ha.

Dalam: Which is why I know you will be the one to succeed. You are kind, Miu, and wise. And you will never be alone.

Dalam: Already, you have found companions who will help you fulfill your purpose.

Miu: But…

Miu looks up at Yulie.

And Yulie nods supportively.

And then FINALLY the lightbulb goes off in Miu’s head.

CUTSCENE MUSIC:Miu’s Theme (Game 2 OST, Track 7)

Miu: Grandfather! You said… my purprose!
Dalam: And yours alone.

Dalam: My brave Miu. This belong to you.

Dalam summons a strange magic something-or-other from the ether.

Within its swirling energy, the symbol of the Archduchy of Faria appears.

This is the first of this game’s McGuffins that we will spend the next 20 hours collecting to do Plot bullshit with.

Dalam: This is the Sylvan Insignia, which only Faria’s monarch may bear.

Miu: So this is what it feels like to be Queen Cisna.

Dalam: I believe in you… Miu…

And then he died… Again…

Now, I don't have a humorous re-edit of this scene ready, mainly because I like Miu and Dalam too much to make fun of them. However, PoptartsNinja stepped up to the plate in my stead, drawing a fairly salient connection between Dalam's passing and the death of another wise, noble leader.

Miu: Thank you… Grandfather.

Yulie smiles, happy that Miu has found her purpose after all and that, even after all this, something productive was able to come out of their latest gently caress up after all.

It’s not quite a “Caesar gets the Dragon Knight”-level “I’m actually okay with this” development, but it’s up there.

Where will YOU be when the acid kicks in?

Green time poo poo starts flying by, signalling the party’s time inside the Retrospecticon is over now and it’s time to head back to the present and awkwardly explain to Ban Lorias why his best friend is still dead.

????: OOOOOOORRRRRRRREEEEEE—
Orren: [ROUNDHOUSE KICK]

Yay. More useless items!

CUTSCENE: Snap Back To Reality

Scardigne: Uh?!

Lorias: Ah.

Lorias: Should I even—
Orren: Nope.

Miu: I’m sorry. We weren’t able to save Grandfather’s life.
Lorias: I see.

Miu: However, this experience has shown me what I must do.

CUTSCENE MUSIC:Archduchess Miu” (Unreleased Track)

Father Yggdra: You have obtained the Insignia then, Little Miu?

Miu: I have, Father Yggdra.

Miu: I will not forget the service you have done me and my country. Please tell Queen Cisna that I will rule in Archduke Dalam’s place, as he intended. Once I have restored peace in Faria, we will fight at Balandor’s side and battle the Yshrenian Empire.

Miu: On that, you have my solemn oath.
Leonard: Thanks Miu. I’ll pass the good news along.
Miu: Not so fast, dipshit. You, if you ever step foot in the Archduchy again, I’ll have you executed, just because you, you know, got my grandfather killed… twice now.
Leonard: :nyoron:

Miu: Yulie, thank you so much. I hope you find your “big moment.”

Yulie: You too, Miu.

They’re just so :3: together. Yulie and Miu have known each other for three days now and they’re better friends to one another than her and Leonard have been since they were 7.

CUTSCENE: Secret of the Insignias

Aw gently caress, is this chapter not over yet?

Father Yggdra: At last we can set about the task of restoring order to Faria.

Father Yggdra: You have my thanks, White Warrior.
Orren: Please, sir. Don’t encourage him.
Leonard: Hey, it wasn’t just me, sir.
Orren: Keep the rest of us out of this, you chode.

Leonard: I may be the tallest guy out there, but I’m not the only one.

Leonard is the shortest party member. I’m serious. Even Yulie and Kara are taller than him. Even the White Knight is on the short side compared to the other Knights.

Father Yggdra: Let me share a secret with you. Ten millennia ago, in the Dogma Age, a long and brutal war was fought between the Athwani Queen, Mureas, and the Yshrenian Emperor, Madoras – the Dogma Wars. You know the tales?
Orren: More than I even want to.

Eldore: They’re not just tales, Father.

Father Yggdra: Ah, as you were there to attest, am I right?

Father Yggdra: But did you know that when Queen Mureas died in the struggle against Madoras
Orren: You mean when her own people murdered her because she was an insane tyrant?
Father Yggdra: Same thing. Anyway
Father Yggdra: She left something behind.

Father Yggdra: Three things to be used in the inevitable battle to come.
Eldore: Hmm?

Because Mureas is Machiavellian as poo poo. Also, Eldore was a member of the Athwani Queensguard, and yet this crucial detail of his sovereign’s pre/post-mortem planning appears to be news to him.

Father Yggdra: She divided her power and locked it within three insignia, which she then entrusted to three sages.

Yulie: Wait, so the insignia Miu got from her grandfather is a piece of Mureas’s power?

Again, Yulie is the quickest on the draw of all the party members who have dialog not exclusively written by me.

Leonard: Okay, so where will we find the other two?

Wow, Leonard is capable of basic subtraction. I’m legitimately impressed by that.

Eldore: Count Drisdall of Greede would have had one. As would King Valtos of Balandor.
Orren: Oh, thanks for telling us that ahead of time YOU JACKASS. Gods, I thought you were over that.

Father Yggdra: Ohh ho ho ho hoo!

Father Yggdra: Yes, precisely so! And while the Retrospecticon hasn’t the power to alter the course of history, it can be used to step into the past and carry back, or forward, rather, the insignia you seek.
Orren: And you didn’t tell us you knew we couldn’t actually change anything and let us get our hopes up… WHY!?
Father Yggdra: I’m kind of a dick.

Hey, when you’ve been stuck inside a tree for 10,000 years, you need to find any form of entertainment you can, even if it’s something as loathsome as trolling the mentally handicapped.

Leonard: Cool.
Orren: Did you not just hear what he copped t—ah, gently caress it. Alright, let’s go re-murder Count Drisdall and King Valtos then.
Eldore: Father Yggdra? Might I be permitted one last question?
Father Yggdra: Proceed.

Eldore: The Knight locked within your branches. The Yshrenians will come for it, as you must surely be aware.

Yeah, because they were SOOOOO interested in it the first time they were here. :rolleyes:

Father Yggdra: You mean… The Moon Maiden? It was her own wish to take no further part in warfare. Let Yshrenia come, and tear me up at the roots.

Father Yggdra: Still, she will not fight for them.

Father Yggdra: And her Ark was never here to begin with.
Yulie: Ah?!

Scardigne: No one will harm you again, Father. Not while I still breathe.

Father Yggdra: My my, I have certainly talked up a storm today. Perhaps I will have a short nap.
Eldore: Great minds think alike.
[ELDERLY BROFIST]

Scardigne: Thank you again. I will repay this debt someday.
Eldore: Well then, we are fortunate.
Leonard: Alright. Next stop: Greede.

Miu: Safe journey.

Caesar.

BALANDOR UNDERGROUND PASSAGE

nine-gear crow Rants About “Time Travel” in White Knight Chronicles II

Okay, so this is just my pet theory about what is going on with the alleged time travel in this game, you’re free to disregard it or consider it as ‘canon’ as you want, because the game is done, period, stop telling you anything else about how the Retrospecticon works from this point forward.

It’s my belief that we’re not technically travelling through time. The game is running on the :lost:-style Daniel Faraday time travel principle of “whatever happened happened.” When the party travels through the Retrospecticon, they’re not travelling back to the actual timeline where everything happened, they’re actually travelling to a separate “pocket timeline,” which is a rough facsimile of the original timeline.

That’s why there’s all these inconsistencies like it being overcast on the day of Cisna’s ball or rainy the night of the attack or why Lucius knows who Leonard and co. are and what they're “famous” for, despite them not actually having done any of it yet. …And whatever the hell’s up with Rapacci.

This pocket timeline exists only for the time when the party is inside the Retrospecticon. It’s created when they enter it and it collapses when they leave it. That’s why nothing they change through their actions carries over into the memories of everyone else around them outside of the Retrospecticon in the present. Whatever happened happened, we’re just experiencing an alternate recreation of things, like the Animus simulation from the Assassin’s Creed games; it looks and feels real, but it isn’t.

Of course, that raises all sorts of questions like “how are they able to bring things back to the present with them?” or “okay, then is the insignia Miu received real, or a duplicate, or was the original lost when Dalam/Valtos/Drisdall died or what?” or “crow, I’m worried about your mental health, please stop LPing this game.”

I don’t have any answers for those questions. In fact I’m not even sure if that last one was a question.

The truth, however, is out there…

And by that I mean Akihiro Hino is a giant hack of a writer.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 5, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I...actually don't mind this. It's a scenario where the major events are set in stone and you cannot change the past. It would be more clever if it was an Army of the Twelve Monkeys scenario, but I'll take what I can get. Still, the game should have been upfront about this, because the player now feels cheated. If you cannot change the past, then explain why the hell the characters are on their time trip.

Hey, someone mentioned Radiant Historia? Remember what happens when a major villain tries to assassinate a necessary character in that game by way of throwing knife? The main character catches that poo poo, throws it back and kills him with it.

Goddamn Stocke was the loving best. :allears:

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

nine-gear crow Rants About “Time Travel” in White Knight Chronicles II

Okay, so this is just my pet theory about what is going on with the alleged time travel in this game, you’re free to disregard it or consider it as ‘canon’ as you want, because the game is done, period, stop telling you anything else about how the Retrospecticon works from this point forward.

It’s my belief that we’re not technically travelling through time. The game is running on the :lost:-style Daniel Faraday time travel principle of “whatever happened happened.” When the party travels through the Retrospecticon, they’re not travelling back to the actual timeline where everything happened, they’re actually travelling to a separate “pocket timeline,” which is a rough facsimile of the original timeline.

That’s why there’s all these inconsistencies like it being overcast on the day of Cisna’s ball or rainy the night of the attack or why Lucius knows who Leonard and co. are “famous” for, despite them not actually having done any of it yet. …And whatever the hell’s up with Rapacci.

This pocket timeline exists only for the time when the party is inside the Retrospecticon. It’s created when they enter it and it collapses when they leave it. That’s why nothing they change through their actions carries over into the memories of everyone else around them outside of the Retrospecticon in the present. Whatever happened happened, we’re just experiencing an alternate recreation of things, like the Animus simulation from the Assassin’s Creed games; it looks and feels real, but it isn’t.

Of course, that raises all sorts of questions like “how are they able to bring things back to the present with them?” or “okay, then is the insignia Miu received real, or a duplicate, or was the original lost when Dalam/Valtos/Drisdall died or what?” or “crow, I’m worried about your mental health, please stop LPing this game.”

I don’t have any answers for those questions. In fact I’m not even sure if that last one was a question.

The truth, however, is out there…

crow, I'm worried about your mental health, please stop LPing this game. (Actually, your anguish is delicious.)

As an aside, if these are maybe facsimiles or parallel pockets, I don't suppose it would be even remotely possible for Orren to, say, murder every parallel Leonard with no consequences just to truly vent his rage? I mean, he could just steal away the Recepticon for a night or two and just butcher Leonard every time he 'forgets' he has a Knight... repeatedly.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So, why couldn't they originally escape the castle through the giant gently caress-off door connecting the Knight's vault with the sewer?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I, uh.

I couldn't resist doing something with this scene.

It came out better than I ever dared hope.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

I, uh.

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

This thread just keeps impressing me in the best possible ways.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I, uh.

This is great, thank you.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Kinfolk910 posted:

Now if this was a better game like Radiant Historia I fully expect that we'll fail this upcoming scene. Why? Because we've exhausted this timeline's range.
The solution? Take the fact that we know where the secret entrance is and enter it at the start of the day and nip some of the story in the bud.
We have a time travel book and he now can abuse history as we see fit. But no... I expect this will all mean nothing.

The Radiant Historia book was a better time traveling book and probably came out first.

Radiant Historia might as well be the closest thing we'll ever get to Chrono Break, it's not fair comparing WKC to it.
Hell, comparing WKC to Chrono Cross still isn't a fair match-up.

More on the point though:

The game's REAL hero is coming back?
:neckbeard:

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
Belcantine once again proves what a Gloriously Magnificent Bastard he is for one final time. He will be missed again.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

This thread just keeps impressing me in the best possible ways.

That's the silver lining, isn't it? If this terrible game never existed, neither would this thread and all of these wonderful extra touches.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I, uh.

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or mad you associated this game with a childhood memory. Either way, good job!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ulvirich posted:

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or mad you associated this game with a childhood memory. Either way, good job!

Does it make it better or worse if I mention that aside from cutting about one-and-a-half seconds of Miu at the beginning, I didn't edit that scene at all?

It just kinda naturally synchs up with the death of Optimus Prime.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Miu is turning into a tinier, sheep-horned adorable Cisne. I can't not approve of this.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
You know. I just thought of something. Cisna could have threatened Orren with something MUCH MUCH more Horrifying than having an army of Soldiers destroy his town. She could have told him she would send Leonard there... under the impression that he was rescuing him from a village holding him captive.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Even she's not that evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

plus Leonard is stupid/naive enough that once he got to town and saw Orren he'd de-knight and go "Buddy old pal! What are you doin-" and get cut off with an axe to the face by Orren who finally has the chance to straight up murder the red-headed twat-waffle.

• Locked thread