Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

The combat arts in 3 Houses that use magic instead of strength were a great way to make certain builds feel unique. It felt very rewarding to trek through some early Lance hell on Marianne or whotever to all the sudden become a real unit with Frozen Lance or what you call it.

I dislike how promotion raised stat floors in that game for the same reason, though. When reclassing doesn't alter unit personality like that, it feels way better to play with imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Fat Samurai posted:

I’ve just picked up Tree Houses, it’s the first time I’ve played a FE game. How much can the random leveling up screw me? I’m pretty anxious about it.

i wouldn't worry about it

chances are most of your units will be pretty good. it just means the 'best' units aren't guaranteed to be. it's theoretically possible to get a bad (for example) lysithea even though shes usually one of the best units in the game, but if that happened, it would just mean you'd probably drop her. There's lots of options and three houses on normal or hard is pretty forgiving

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I didn't mind that characters have a bit less mechanical identity in Three Houses because it's the premise of the game. You're the teacher, and you can decide how to teach your students and how they develop. I wouldn't like to see it again but I think it's fun as a change of pace.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I’ve just picked up Tree Houses, it’s the first time I’ve played a FE game. How much can the random leveling up screw me? I’m pretty anxious about it.
not really at all. classes have base stats they are banded to that they'll be raised to when a unit gets into them (to the point that it can be worth it to get an extremely squishy chracter to armor knight for five seconds for the free defense boost), and growth rates are extremely high. a character might slightly over or underperform but you aren't going to wind up in some kind of unwinnable situation because the RNG screwed you.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Normal and Hard also don't have particularly strong enemies so even if a character you really like is massively below their average stats they will probably still be viable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If a unit isn't contributing enough on the battlefield, then your other units can pick up their slack.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I got my gacha threads confused. Meant this for the Genshin thread.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 4, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
In FE8, the super trainee classes have much better caps in the JP version than the US one. Ewan's isn't that much worse, but Amelia and Ross had their super trainee classes completely gutted. Incidentally, there were quite a number of growth changes too between the versions with Moulder and Amelia getting nerfed from the JP to US release.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Doing an Engage runthrough while I'm killing time waiting for Unicorn Overlord, and while I love this game, it's still a crushing tragedy that most of the generic promoted class outfits look loving horrible and are tremendous downgrades from the characters' personal outfits. Additionally, some of the character color palettes are so bad they look like texture bugs, like when you put Panette in any class with plate armor and the plate armor looks like untextured vantablack.

Really sad we never got a 3H style "just wear your normal outfit" toggle.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Default/personal outfit toggle really would have been killer. Throw in a somniel outfit option too would be nice

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Definitely needs the option for Somniel outfits too, yeah. What's the point of playing dress up with your army if they can't wear any of it into battle and/or completely ruin the tone of plot scenes because everyone is trying to have a Serious Somber Moment but they're all wearing giant Sommie heads?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

sharkmafia posted:

hey the lords have some unique mechanics to them. except dimitri who is just guy who punch hard

Yeah Raging loving storm would like a word as would Fallen Star.

Edit: Actually giving it some thought, Dimitri Battalion Vantage/Wrath, Bernadetta Vengeance Lance, Cyril Point Blank Shot, Petra/Leonie crit swordsman builds. Annette/Ignatz Rally. There's actually quite a lot in the combat arts and personals that make the characters play pretty differently to another person in the same class.

Mainly though, a big part of Fire Emblem to me is all the creativity I put into building units with the skills and classes I want them to have that I feel best represent them in my own playstyle.

When the only difference between Louise and Rebecca is their statlines and portraits I stop really caring about which archer I have.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 8, 2024

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I care which one I have. I love both Gonzales and his everything, but I also love Geese and his beautiful, majestic hair

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Some of the mages in houses get unique niches based on their spell lists. Hubert for instance has a whole thing with 3 range spells which makes him play different than a “standard” reason mage.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m coming to the conclusion that Lindon is the best character in Fire Emblem Engage

Lindon upsides:
- cool old guy
- mystical subtype, so has access to fire terrain
- funny supports
- personal skill is good and enables meme builds

cons:
- mid stats and unimpressive growths. but this is actually a good thing because I don’t feel torn about having him use fire terrain every turn
- no together we ride arrangement

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Lindon is just weird to me from a game design perspective, doubly so since Engage is otherwise so meticulously designed. He comes way later than every other character, to the point lots of people unknowingly kill him because recruiting is already “over” by then. He’s a mediocre unit mechanically so you have no impetus to have him replace someone like how Alcryst replaces Etie. You have no spare slots so you won’t have a reason to “might as well” him. And he doesn’t fulfill any role in the army three or four other people aren’t already capable of like fellow late recruits Veyle and Mauvier. And unlike those two he has no story importance. He’s just so superfluous. And that wouldn’t stick out if this was say Shadow Dragon or Binding Blade where your thrown filler units en masse, but as I said before Engage is very much not that kind of FE.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
He has great supports with the Elusian + endgame character and he has a funny gimmick. Way better than Saphir who is like... there

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
lindon's cool. he's eccentric and kind of mediocre but that's just good gameplay/story integration, for him as a character. the part that 'doesn't work' (although this is exaggerating it a bit) is that on-map recruitment is fairly rare and he's the only enemy you recruit on map in the entire game, which isn't a problem in and of itself but kind of doesn't gel with how the rest of the game has been.

the number of Normal Gameplay Features that only show up once at the end of the game is one of the weirder parts of engage in general. it's a game where you are getting 'tutorial' popups 2 chapters before the endgame to explain that the map has a time limit, because there hasn't been a map with an actual time limit up until then. (the endgame also has tutorial popups but to be fair explaining how sombron's boss attacks work, or even the penultimate boss' beam attack, is less 'tutorial' and more 'communication')

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Gotta say from a gameplay standpoint Sombron is my favorite final boss in the franchise. Houses also tried to do big monster final bosses instead of the Final boss being just another stage boss with a fancier sprite. But they were just statues waiting for everyone to dogpile all at once with their gambits. Sombron was built into the stage design and had you actually making tactical decisions. You have to always be mobile, and your never not interacting with him in some way. Plus I love how the map design has you literally running laps around him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
He’d probably be my favorite if it wasn’t possible to just focus fire him down and eliminate the second phase with the other evil emblems entirely. Feels kinda anticlimactic, but Chapter 25 is a good enough map that it more than makes up for it, and it’s still significantly better than the lion’s share of final maps.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Duma is the best I think

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Sombron was good fun, cute seeing the minibosses show up and going “hey that’s Nergal!”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it would have been nice if theyd had the time to actually model those characters, but i get why they didnt

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Endorph posted:

it would have been nice if theyd had the time to actually model those characters, but i get why they didnt

Still mad they didn’t make the Houses nega-emblem the main trio. Would have been especially great since you could have had some good unique dialogue if you fought them with the trio bracelet.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLFiFy4rTrk

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm still disappointed Shez was never an Emblem.

They could have done a lot of interesting tricks based on her being from a completely different sort of game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
magnificent

I hate this process so much

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel you, Hector.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I've never played a fire emblem hack, are many of them good?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

Probably years out of date, but I had a good time with the Crimson Arm (full original campaign) and Elibian Nights (suite of individual levels set around 6 and 7). The Awful Emblem demo was also quite good.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

I think there was one I played a while ago called requiem that was a solid full conversion hack if you want to do a shaman lord with minimum edge.

Vision quest is a solid all around B+ for another one.

Andaron Saga has a ton of time and effort put into it and really interesting mechanics if you can stomach a Game of Thrones ripoff plot that keeps shoveling worse and worse dialogue in your face.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Andaron Saga is also headed by a YouTuber who used his position to sexually harass women, made an apology video when called and then deleted it a month later. He then proceeded to go back to his poo poo like nothing ever happened.

Mangs is a shithead in general, I don't think I'd bother playing his hack personally.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

Andaron Saga is also headed by a YouTuber who used his position to sexually harass women, made an apology video when called and then deleted it a month later. He then proceeded to go back to his poo poo like nothing ever happened.

Mangs is a shithead in general, I don't think I'd bother playing his hack personally.

drat, that sucks. I was genuinely thinking of LPing it because it's probably the highest level of polish I've seen in a romhack while also having a lot to tear into in the plot.

I'll guess just wait for Solium Infernum to get patched a couple times and LP instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

there's a lot of decent ones just because they dont really alter the core gameplay and the core gba gameplay is good. iron emblem is a fun one if you like the idea of an ironman game with weak generic units that you get a ton of replacements for, sort of like an fe11 ironman.

Mysticblade posted:

the way mangs has slithered back into the community is sickening.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I keep hearing that Project Ember for FE6 is really good, though worth noting it is a difficulty hack (though a more standard difficulty hack, not of the "Xtreme, Git Gud" variety) that is harder than the normal game, though it does make more characters good and usable. There's an LP going for it right now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think project ember is easier than hard mode of the base game. Even the lunatic mode version of Ember

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I still have a soft spot for Last Promise, even though it's very dated and full of goofy poo poo appropriate to the tastes of the teenager who made it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is that the one with the edgy assassin named Shadow or Blade or something, who eventually reveals that that's just a code name and his given name is some death god name, I wanna say Thanatos?

Because that's the good kind of teenage cringe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

I keep hearing that Project Ember for FE6 is really good, though worth noting it is a difficulty hack (though a more standard difficulty hack, not of the "Xtreme, Git Gud" variety) that is harder than the normal game, though it does make more characters good and usable. There's an LP going for it right now.
project ember is absolutely not a difficulty hack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

I still have a soft spot for Last Promise, even though it's very dated and full of goofy poo poo appropriate to the tastes of the teenager who made it.
last promise is pretty decent for how early in the hacking scene it is. and it not weighing itself with dumb gimmicks is kind of a plus. its main issues are a few maps are overly long and that it really hates giving you axe units.