Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I do think that it's silly to assume a doctor wouldn't know the difference between a dog bite and a human bite. We have no idea what kind of doctor Carlos is. Just because you're generally a smart person doesn't mean you can be stupid. But of course, part of the bigger issue is that nobody believes Clem's story and thinks she's from Carver.

One little touch I liked is in the bathroom , Clem can say that she killed a man for the hat. It's a nice touch because depending on how Episode 5 played out for you, it's either a bluff or technically what happened. It's actually a moment that really set the tone for me. My Clem did kill a man, but who would believe a little girl could do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

The thing with that choice is it's really out of character for Clementine, she still says "I'm sorry" while stuttering even if you don't kill it. You might not be killing it for revenge or whatever, but in game the character isn't killing it why? Because she doesn't have the stomach to? I just don't see how it makes sense taking that line into account, I don't even think it's possible to get to s2 without Clementine having killed a walker or a person by now is it?

That's a great point. I wasn't really thinking about it way.

Also, about the Clem getting to S2 without killing anyone or anything bit, I don't think she absolutely has to kill another person if she doesn't shoot Lee. It doesn't really matter because even with Christa she had to have seen some poo poo during those 16 months after Omid died.

Anyway, God I'm loving this series. I played episodes 1-3 when they were rather new, but I stopped early into 4 for some reason. I picked up 400 days and Season 2 during the steam sales and decided to continue. I blew through everything in an evening and I loving loved it.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

THE PWNER posted:

The dog thing can happen, even normal domestic dogs that aren't starving or left alone for presumably months can develop food aggression and even bite; someone in the last thread posted a video of exactly that happening to an experienced vet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ihXq_WwiWM

:drat:

Anyone criticizing that scene really should watch that video.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

THE PWNER posted:

The thing with that choice is it's really out of character for Clementine, she still says "I'm sorry" while stuttering even if you don't kill it. You might not be killing it for revenge or whatever, but in game the character isn't killing it why? Because she doesn't have the stomach to? I just don't see how it makes sense taking that line into account, I don't even think it's possible to get to s2 without Clementine having killed a walker or a person by now is it?
Although it was definitely another one of the lopsided decisions, I could understand how it would make sense for someone to have her character not do that. Killing a wounded dog, and not just killing it but slitting it's throat with a knife while it's whining in pain is a pretty big difference from killing a walker that's attacking you or even shooting the Stranger to defend Lee.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dude took that bite like a champ.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Law posted:

:drat:

Anyone criticizing that scene really should watch that video.

I've had my loving dog of 10+ years who would never hurt a fly turn almost rabidly aggressive because he got his paws on a full packet of meat paté, and he wasn't even starving at the time. Of course, I can't say for sure that he would have bitten someone, but none of us dared go near him, and we had to use a broom to defuse the situation.

That scene is totally legit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Irish Joe posted:

My take-away from the conversation between Clem and the guy was that his daughter's either crazy or retarded, so I don't think this is going to be as fun as you make it seem.

I’m betting it’s autism, and an unhealthy dose of sheltering parents.

Steve2911 posted:

Dude took that bite like a champ.

:stare: That guy earned his pay. I would have kicked that dog so hard on instinct.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 4, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hakkesshu posted:

I've had my loving dog of 10+ years who would never hurt a fly turn almost rabidly aggressive because he got his paws on a full packet of meat paté, and he wasn't even starving at the time. Of course, I can't say for sure that he would have bitten someone, but none of us dared go near him, and we had to use a broom to defuse the situation.

That scene is totally legit.

I still feel like people are missing the issue with the scene it's not that the starving dog attacked the girl for the food she was trying to take away, it's the starving dog doing a picture perfect leap to catch a frisbee the girl threw. It was a lazy, not well thought out, thing that was meant to make the dog more pet like to the player.

The whole scene kind of sways between wild animal (growling when you try to pet it, attacking you when you try to take the food away) and household pet (frisbee, the part with the owner tied to the tree, some of it's body language)

The scene would have came off better if they had chosen one or the other. Either it doesn't run after the frisbee and reacts to the guy tied to the tree like it's a threat or it's more like a domesticated dog and the struggle for the food is more drawn out instead of immediately flying to murder dog

Like I posted earlier, this first episode felt like a first draft.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 4, 2014

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Call Me Charlie posted:

I still feel like people are missing the issue with the scene it's not that the starving dog attacked the girl for the food she was trying to take away, it's the starving dog doing a picture perfect leap to catch a frisbee the girl threw. It was a lazy, not well thought out, thing that was meant to make the dog more dog like to the player.

The whole scene kind of sways between wild animal (growling when you try to pet it, attacking you when you try to take the food away) and household pet (frisbee, the part with the owner tied to the tree, some of it's body language)

The scene would have came off better if they had chosen one or the other. Either it doesn't run after the frisbee and reacts to the guy tied to the tree like it's a threat or it's more like a domesticated dog and the struggle for the food is more drawn out instead of immediately flying to murder dog

Personally, I found the dog being kicked and landing right on some perfectly placed spikes to be much weirder. It growls at you initially until it sees Clem is friendly. It growls at its owner because its owner is now a living dead zombie thing. Other than that and food aggression, it acts like a regular household pet. It's plausible.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

general chaos posted:

Pete honestly seems like the Lee analog for this group. He's competent, somewhat jovial for a man in the post-apocalypse, and he's doing his best to raise his not-child. About 85% of Lees decide to chop off a stranger's limb (against their pleas) for a chance at saving their life. Also, if you can't laugh about stuff you did when you were 10, you should probably reexamine your life.

I don't see it. Lee cuts of a strangers limb because their agonizing death is immediate and inevitable otherwise. He doesn't casually suggest lopping off a child's limb because they might be lying. And yeah Nick could have laughed off the story, but you are given the distinct impression that Pete tells it all the time. Hell its the first thing he tells Clem about Nick. He's the one that should be letting it go but he won't even knowing how much it bothers the guy. My impressions are still that Nick is clumsy, hot-tempered but ultimately a nice guy while Pete is competent but callous and more likely to save himself in a sticky situation.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I still feel like people are missing the issue with the scene it's not that the starving dog attacked the girl for the food she was trying to take away, it's the starving dog doing a picture perfect leap to catch a frisbee the girl threw. It was a lazy, not well thought out, thing that was meant to make the dog more pet like to the player.

Dogs can be unpredictable. They only have learned behavior and animal instincts. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that a very hungry domesticated dog might understand that he is supposed to catch the frisbee but still become very aggressive when food is involved.

jabby fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 4, 2014

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

My take on the dog

I killed it, and I think Clem has the history to understand why killing it is the merciful thing to, given how I had Lee handle certain similar problems in Season 1 - Larry, Duck, the kid-zombie in Savannah and his own fate among others in the sense that anything would be better than turning/suffering. I get the sense that Clem would have learned from being present for some of those moments and come to realize that she can help by ending suffering for others, hence killing the dog. The way it's animated doesn't show her as a vengeful killer anyway, it's more somber that that.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Anyone else have ghost problems?

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/452909687540455758/1CC83CD263FF171830BD8E59800463A0BE4B1C4F/1024x576.resizedimage
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/452909687540476409/ED5A7A8DAA354077BA4300639F80AB3F23964C48/

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

YES!

Freaked me out, man. :catstare:

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
So I didn't want to force Clem to kill Lee at the end of season 1, reasoning that Lee was chained down and unlikely to be a threat to anyone. He wouldn't want her to feel that sense of responsibility. Do you guys think this will have ramifications down the line and if so what?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I really, really doubt it. I did the same thing, and I'd be very surprised if Lee would show up again in any form. If they did that, then they'd have to explain it to all the people (over 60% I think?) who had Clem shoot him. "Oh turns out she didn't actually shoot him in the head" would just be poor revisionism.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I dont think Season 1 will factor in beyond changing dialogue, like when Pete asks how your arm is, you can say "Better than losing it" and he goes "Yeah, scars look way better than a stump!" and then Clem gets depressed because "A friend lost an arm". There's too much that would have to be changed and these games aren't really alpha protocol or anything so expecting wide divergences is setting your hopes a little high.

The only possible change that I could have seen happening is if Lee told her to seek out Omed and Christa, and that gets wrapped up very quickly in Episode 1.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Snipee posted:

So I didn't want to force Clem to kill Lee at the end of season 1, reasoning that Lee was chained down and unlikely to be a threat to anyone. He wouldn't want her to feel that sense of responsibility. Do you guys think this will have ramifications down the line and if so what?
Practically baseless speculation: The title card for Episode 5 has Lee's skeleton lying in the snow. We might see an ending sequence involving Clementine having returned to Savannah to say one last parting goodbye to the body / moaning ghoul of Lee. Perhaps portions of the city may have already been cleared out by some new settlement by now, so in that situation it wouldn't matter much what you did at the end of season 1 - his body will have been unceremoniously dumped somewhere with a ton of other bodies.

general chaos fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 5, 2014

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I really, really doubt it. I did the same thing, and I'd be very surprised if Lee would show up again in any form. If they did that, then they'd have to explain it to all the people (over 60% I think?) who had Clem shoot him. "Oh turns out she didn't actually shoot him in the head" would just be poor revisionism.

It could just be an extra scene like Clem notices Zombie Lee clawing at a window and says "omg!" but yea there really is no point I like that Lee is basically her Zombie survival mentor.

That video of the Dog whisperer has actually got me interested in watching the video, dogs even domesticated ones will have sudden switches to aggression over food, being cornered or just being scared so I did originally think the scene was done well. (apart for the perfect kick into the Mortal Kombat spike trap)

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

general chaos posted:

Practically baseless speculation: The title card for Episode 5 has Lee's skeleton lying in the snow. We might see an ending sequence involving Clementine having returned to Savannah to say one last parting goodbye to the body / moaning ghoul of Lee. Perhaps portions of the city may have already been cleared out by some new settlement by now, so in that situation it wouldn't matter much what you did at the end of season 1 - his body will have been unceremoniously dumped somewhere with a ton of other bodies.

It's not Lee's skeleton, it just looks like it because of the blue top. You can pan across in the PC version and it actually looks more like the uniform Ben was wearing.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I recently got a PS4; is Season 1 of this game available on PS4 as well as PS3, or just PS3 at present? It seems like Season 2 is (or will be) but I can't find a lot of detail about Season 1.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

That Episode was alright by me. I do feel that's quite harder to interact with stuff now with the interface being slightly different but I'm sure that will pass due to how many times I've played Telltale games and gotten used too their older display style. I do like how the graphic styling has improved as it gives a lot more detail to the environment when playing it.

This episode dose not pull any punches for when I started playing. It drives a bloody 60 MPH jump kick right into you're face in terms of being sorrowful and blunt.

Anyways it seems there is a few people questioning on that part with the whole Sam bit, well I have a short story for you that's somewhat may be of relevance and is pretty much under a spoiler bar for those who haven't finished S2E1 and don't want to know what happens.

When I first encounter that dog. I was pretty much knowing what I was going to expect. It wasn't outright obvious but it left enough hints that it was easy enough on how it was going to play out...that and it is The Walking Dead.

I've been bit by a dog before (a bit bigger then the one in the video people linked) and it bite me on the left thigh and took a bit of a chunk out of it to the point you could see it's somewhat deep. Now this is way back when I was 13 or 14 years old and how it happened was when I was visiting one of my friend's cousin or friend (It's been a long time) me and my friend knocked on their door and the door opens with a boy younger then both of us holding their family dog by a leash.

Now while the boy was saying hello and telling us to come in like anyone else. I got closer towards the door till the dog comes over to my leg and it starts sniffing my leg. The boy tells me it's alright to pet him and so with little hesitation from being told that it was alright. I did just that, petting the dog that was sniffing my leg before it stopped and was pulled back by the boy. Me and my friend went into the house along with our parents and maybe ten minutes later I went to their toilet.

While I was in the bathroom I noticed that my left leg had blood dripping down. So I took a closer look and rolled up my trouser leg and noticed what appeared to be a small chunk of flesh open with a hole that seemed to have gone somewhat deep. Now I didn't even realized how that happened till it dawned on me that the Dog wasn't sniffing my leg, It was trying to tear a piece of my loving thigh off. And the strange part was that I felt no pain. No irritation, no itching, no hurting sensation or agonizing pain. It was like I didn't even feel it rip into me with it's teeth. I was petting it saying how a cute dog it was while it was trying to bite my thigh like a tennis ball.

So naturally, Hospital and then a few weeks later. Dog got put down.

So where am I going with this? Well the dog apparently wasn't abused as it was well fed & watered, there was no signs of violence towards it and was in fact just pretty much territorial. Unfortunately I think the problem was the fact that they did nothing about it being more aggressive when it comes to guarding the house so they kind of either ignored it or put it in the kitchen when they let visitors in. My friend said that it never seen any indication of it doing anything like that towards the family nor him and was rather playful when it came to interacting with it the first time he met the dog.

Either way the story with Sam attacking for the food while it was playful and friendly a few ten minutes ago? Not out there at all. Each dog is different and has their own personality and characteristics.

Currently I own a whippitcross that's been abandoned three times by previous owners and is still the friendliest of dogs despite what's happened to her in such a short time period. The dog that bit me was raised with a family from a puppy to a adult without any kind of abuse while my dog was left out in to the streets and rescue centers and is still friendly to strangers, children and the like despite it being abused when it was young.

And on the subject of the preview of the next episode. It's got to be Larry. He's a 6-foot-four, 300 pound SERIOUSLY pissed off dead guy!

In It For The Tank posted:

It's not Lee's skeleton, it just looks like it because of the blue top. You can pan across in the PC version and it actually looks more like the uniform Ben was wearing.

I did see a zombie or two in the first game wearing something similar to Ben's jacket vaguely. But I don't think I have noticed anything like that this time in the second season.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

To be fair, he was wearing a letterman jacket or something so there's at least a sports team worth of people wearing that thing.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dont think Season 1 will factor in beyond changing dialogue, like when Pete asks how your arm is, you can say "Better than losing it" and he goes "Yeah, scars look way better than a stump!" and then Clem gets depressed because "A friend lost an arm". There's too much that would have to be changed and these games aren't really alpha protocol or anything so expecting wide divergences is setting your hopes a little high.

The only possible change that I could have seen happening is if Lee told her to seek out Omed and Christa, and that gets wrapped up very quickly in Episode 1.

If Telltale know how to do Cool Stuff, they'll have at least one moment where you don't choose, but Clem does based on your actions in season 1.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

THE PWNER posted:

If Telltale know how to do Cool Stuff, they'll have at least one moment where you don't choose, but Clem does based on your actions in season 1.

Well, they already sorta did by having her say "shoot" or "poo poo" in the bathroom at the start of S2E1, based on... I'm gonna guess the part in Hershels barn.

You probably mean stuff more significant than that, but It was a neat little touch.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Penakoto posted:

Well, they already sorta did by having her say "shoot" or "poo poo" in the bathroom at the start of S2E1, based on... I'm gonna guess the part in Hershels barn.

You probably mean stuff more significant than that, but It was a neat little touch.

Yeah, little things like that are appreciated but I meant something significant. I know it sucks to take control away from the player, but I think it'd be a nice touch considering "what did she take from the things I taught her" is a pretty big selling point of s2 for many people.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I take issue with the other two things Call me Charlie put forward as bad writing as much as I do the dog thing. Calling Carlos claiming the bite could be human or dog simply bad writing when there's a proposed explanation for his behavior that dovetails with/reinforces his character is unfair. It seemed obvious enough to me by the end of the episode that he'd intentionally misled the group in an effort to get rid of Clementine, whom he sees as a potential spy for Carver, or a corrupting influence on his daughter, or just another mouth to feed he doesn't want to deal with.

I guess it's possible the writers didn't actually mean it that way and genuinely meant for Carlos to not be able to recognize the bite, but the other explanation is at least as plausible. I'd think the writers have earned the benefit of the doubt at this point, or at the least more of a "wait and see" attitude to see if a future episode can shed some light on it.

As for Clementine leaving her gun on the sink, I thought it was a neat way to remind us that we're playing a little girl, not a video-gamey hypothetical perfect survivor. Same with her not thinking to board the hole in the shed back up. It was even meant to reinforce the theme of survivor's guilt for her new situation and new season ("If I hadn't run off, Lee would be alive. If I'd just held on to the gun, Omid would still be alive."). Clementine being punished repeatedly for these brief moments of letting her guard down is what's driven a lot of players to play Clementine as extremely defensive. It's mentally a good place to put players in at the start of the arc.

The first episode isn't perfect, but those three things aren't really cut and dried examples of writing failure, I'd say.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 5, 2014

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

BattleCake posted:

To be fair, he was wearing a letterman jacket or something so there's at least a sports team worth of people wearing that thing.

As an aside, Ben strikes me as more of a band geek than a jock. They get the jackets too right?

Also, for those interested. Here is what the rest of the slide for No Going Back looks like:

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 5, 2014

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

As an aside, Ben strikes me as more of a band geek than a jock. They get the jackets too right?

Yeah. He was also with his band teacher when he was first introduced.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

a shameful boehner posted:

I recently got a PS4; is Season 1 of this game available on PS4 as well as PS3, or just PS3 at present? It seems like Season 2 is (or will be) but I can't find a lot of detail about Season 1.

Neither are coming to 4, far as I'm aware. Telltale isn't a huge studio and may not have the manpower for a next-gen port yet.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Also, for those interested. Here is what the rest of the slide for No Going Back looks like:

Good point, I forgot what he was in a band and definitely not a sports team. Also that picture does look a lot like the same outfit... but again, a lot of people could be wearing something similar. On that note, do we know approximately what region Clementine is in? I'm Canadian so I know very little about American geography.

Dolash posted:

I take issue with the other two things Call me Charlie put forward as bad writing as much as I do the dog thing. Calling Carlos claiming the bite could be human or dog simply bad writing when there's a proposed explanation for his behavior that dovetails with/reinforces his character is unfair. It seemed obvious enough to me by the end of the episode that he'd intentionally misled the group in an effort to get rid of Clementine, whom he sees as a potential spy for Carver, or a corrupting influence on his daughter, or just another mouth to feed he doesn't want to deal with.

I guess it's possible the writers didn't actually mean it that way and genuinely meant for Carlos to not be able to recognize the bite, but the other explanation is at least as plausible. I'd think the writers have earned the benefit of the doubt at this point, or at the least more of a "wait and see" attitude to see if a future episode can shed some light on it.

As for Clementine leaving her gun on the sink, I thought it was a neat way to remind us that we're playing a little girl, not a video-gamey hypothetical perfect survivor. Same with her not thinking to board the hole in the shed back up. It was even meant to reinforce the theme of survivor's guilt for her new situation and new season ("If I hadn't run off, Lee would be alive. If I'd just held on to the gun, Omid would still be alive."). Clementine being punished repeatedly for these brief moments of letting her guard down is what's driven a lot of players to play Clementine as extremely defensive. It's mentally a good place to put players in at the start of the arc.

The first episode isn't perfect, but those three things aren't really cut and dried examples of writing failure, I'd say.

These are all very good points and I just want to say I agree with all of this. The fact that we're playing a young kid changes a lot about the game. As somebody mentioned earlier in the thread, Lee could dispatch zombies fairly competently as a fully grown adult but Clementine struggles with just one. The quick-time events are also much more involved since Clementine is smaller and more agile and so she does a lot more evading of zombies. I think it works really well with the setting too, since this is a game about survival and relationships between people and so being who you are adds an additional degree of stress and urgency to the game, not to mention interesting context seeing as you're a young girl. Compare that to most zombie games (or indeed video games in general) where you are killing hordes of them and thus kind of need to be a full adult to pull it off.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I have some mixed feelings about this one. I played all of season 1 as it came out and then replayed it again this November trying out different choices, so it feels fresh for comparison.

Thoughts:

I hate, hate, hate, the contrived "you suddenly get stupid" sequences. This is not the same as being on rails, which I am OK with in that the game is about character development and emotional investment. Clem with the gun on the counter annoyed the hell out of me. I spent a minute or two trying to get her to pick it up because it was so blindingly stupid to leave it on the counter in an area that she didn't know. Again, I'm fine with a scripted Omid death and this being on rails. The other girl could have got the drop on me and taken it, etc. But just starring at it and leaving it before then complicity chasing a now empty water bottle was a sort of idiot move that put me off.

The backpack with the Lee picture and Kenny's family drawing was rough. I burnt the drawing because I knew you don't throw a log on embers, and I figured maybe she could keep the picture. That part sucked, but it was played to good effect.

The dog scene didn't really bother me too much, but then I watched Blackfish this morning so my mind set is a little slanted towards "animals in bad circumstances can do loving anything." It was nice kick in the dick though since you're like, "OK, well now I have a dog as a pal." I sat there for a long time trying to figure out whether to kill him or leave him. So, effective scene I suppose.

The stitches scene was really poorly telegraphed. I was playing on Steam with an Xbox controller and I saw no clear indication that I needed to hold instead of tap A. I eventually just looked it up online, but that felt like a design slip in a tense moment because it really took me out of the scene and made me more frustrated than squeamish or tense. I also found the vice inaccessibility frustrating. It felt really obvious to use and probably a bit smarter than trying to hold your arm still on your own strength of will.

As soon as Carlos' 15 year old daughter got all space case and weird before making me pinky swear, I pretty much wrote her off as going to die and probably get Carlos killed as well. As a comics reference point, Clem feels a bit like Carl who is somewhat hardened by being treated honestly and seeing bad poo poo, and I feel like she would probably have little patience for infantalized kids who are likely to get you killed.

Nick v. Pete was tough. Obviously you're supposed to like Pete more and I would have taken his side 100% of the time had he not apparently been bit, which got me to try to save Nick. I do kind of wish that I went for Nick anyway because we could have maybe cut off his leg and still saved him, and Pete seems destined for more rampant idiocy.

I'm curious to see what happens with Christa. Initially, I thought she was one of the bodies at the end, but the options with the dying guy suggest otherwise. I also would wager her losing a child probably becomes a plot point with the pregnant chick.

So, I still like Clem, and am happy with her as a main character. I'm not a big fan of 90% of the living members of the house, and they really need to step it up on them if I'm supposed to care when they inevitably die.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

BattleCake posted:

Good point, I forgot what he was in a band and definitely not a sports team. Also that picture does look a lot like the same outfit... but again, a lot of people could be wearing something similar. On that note, do we know approximately what region Clementine is in? I'm Canadian so I know very little about American geography.

Probably mid-lower Appalachia, by my best guess going on plot stuff and the terrain. So someplace like Tennessee, Kentucky, or the Carolinas. Which moves the setting out of the real Deep South and puts it more in mountain folk country.

Ed: they could still be in Georgia I suppose, just in a more northern region. It's pretty hard to figure how quickly you can travel on foot safely in the circumstances or how long they'd been moving purposefully in one direction.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 5, 2014

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Karnegal posted:

Thoughts:

I hate, hate, hate, the contrived "you suddenly get stupid" sequences. This is not the same as being on rails, which I am OK with in that the game is about character development and emotional investment. Clem with the gun on the counter annoyed the hell out of me. I spent a minute or two trying to get her to pick it up because it was so blindingly stupid to leave it on the counter in an area that she didn't know. Again, I'm fine with a scripted Omid death and this being on rails. The other girl could have got the drop on me and taken it, etc. But just starring at it and leaving it before then complicity chasing a now empty water bottle was a sort of idiot move that put me off.

The thing to remember is that Clem has her own character, you are just the voice in her head that makes decisions for her. If she doesn't realise she has a decision to make then you don't come into play, so you can't direct her to do something that doesn't occur to her any more than you can choose dialogue options that would be totally out of character. You just have to accept that she's 10 and unless the thought 'should I take this gun with me or not' cross her mind then you don't get consulted.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

jabby posted:

The thing to remember is that Clem has her own character, you are just the voice in her head that makes decisions for her. If she doesn't realise she has a decision to make then you don't come into play, so you can't direct her to do something that doesn't occur to her any more than you can choose dialogue options that would be totally out of character. You just have to accept that she's 10 and unless the thought 'should I take this gun with me or not' cross her mind then you don't get consulted.

Or they could pretend to give you a choice and still have the same thing happen like you put the board back but the zombie easily pushes it down since there's nothing holding it or the thief still gets the jump on you because you zip the gun up in your backpack and she has a knife or something

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 5, 2014

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Pharmaskittle posted:

Probably mid-lower Appalachia, by my best guess going on plot stuff and the terrain. So someplace like Tennessee, Kentucky, or the Carolinas. Which moves the setting out of the real Deep South and puts it more in mountain folk country.

Ed: they could still be in Georgia I suppose, just in a more northern region. It's pretty hard to figure how quickly you can travel on foot safely in the circumstances or how long they'd been moving purposefully in one direction.

I think they're in NC. Christa said they were heading north to Wellington (In Ohio I'm guessing - Tavia's settlement was also "to the north," so that fits) and there was a 16 month gap, so I'd hope they've at least traversed a state or two by now.

I'm not American though so there might be another Wellington I missed. It fits in with what Christa said however - "when we get to Wellingston it'll be snowing" blah blah, and the ep 5 slide is looking at a city from the outskirts in the snow.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Played through S2E1 yesterday. Did anyone else accidentally steal the watch? I just sort of absentmindedly clicked on it and was horrified to see Clem pocket it. If there had been a binary "steal watch?" prompt I wouldn't have done it but it was a clickable object and I usually just click everything. Now I have the stupid thing just sitting in my inventory and I'm just waiting for the repercussions to be felt. I try to live with my choices in this game but I'm half tempted to replay it exactly as I did before just without stealing the watch.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Or they could pretend to give you a choice and still have the same thing happen like you put the board back but the zombie easily pushes it down since there's nothing holding it or the thief still gets the jump on you because you zip the gun up in your backpack and she has a knife or something

I figured the gun thing is because they're gonna either make Clementine blame herself for Omids death, Christa blame her, or both. It's hard to blame a 9 year old girl for getting overpowered or something, but for just leaving her gun out like a tard?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Gutcruncher posted:

Christa blame her

Oh don't worry, she already does. The way she speaks to her after the timeskip and the glare at her in the opening scene says it all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wouldn't say the gun thing is out of character. She hadn't been away from Lee for that long at all, she thought Christa and Omid were right outside/close enough that it wouldn't be a problem and kids make dumb mistakes.

The timeskip was when she hardened up, took Lee's teachings to heart and (in my game) became a ruthless bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

Realistically, they could be anywhere. It's been 16 months since Omid got shot outside Atlanta. Even moving slow, scrounging food as they go, they could make a lotta distance over 16 months.

• Locked thread