Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Here be a thread to keep track of all the smoke machines money pits laying across my bench at any point in time. At the moment, I do not own a single 4 stroke motorcycle. The last one was my YZ250F that eventually got put to pasture because of a top end knock I did not want to throw money at. Why not throw money at uncommon older bikes that are a pain in the rear end to fond parts for? Still seems like a good option to me.

My current project, which I hope to have mostly complete for the excellent riding 5 month season in the Fraser Valley :canada:

Perfect 'barn find' that came in to the shop I work at - they didn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole.
Good thing I am stupid enough to do the exact opposite.
Protip - turning your hobby into your job is a very poor life choice.

I neglected this fine lass under a cover for months while I got other poo poo finished and despised wrenching on my own bikes after wrenching 9 hours a day on customer's bikes at work.
The day she came home

Last time this thing was registered was 1996, it was parked after and let rot. The engine spins up free and feels pretty solid for the moment. Might be able to thank thank the leaky oil injection lines for helping keep it free. It needs pretty much everything else though - Chain, sprockets, fork seals, caliper rebuilds - pads and lines. The carbs will need to be gone through, every bit of line and clamp replaced. The PO had to layerdan at some point and smashed up the upper cowl, bracket, right fairing and silencer. No lower to be found.

This thing feels absolutely tiny by the standards of today. Lighter than an EX300, but nearly the same dimensions.

12 screws / bolts and it was naked. I had to Google how to remove the tank - there is a re purposed seat lock for the front of the tank. Surely a bolt would have been a better choice? :japan:

PO parked as well as they rode.

Two stroke oils of yesteryear coked up like crazy, moreso if the bike was ridden slow, not getting long hot runs to burn off the excess. The power valves are very hard to actuate and will have to be removed and cleaned. All was going well until going to pull the front left expansion chamber. :downs: gently caress.

These are the exhaust gaskets from the front two cylinders, I scraped away about 90% of the carbon from one. The rear cylinders were even worse than that; the chambers themselves are very heavy from deposits. To my knowledge, they do not have any sound deadening in the expansion chamber area.

Day one pile of parts

Do this with your :btroll: GSXR.

I'm sure this will be pushed aside for other poo poo as it comes up. TDR250 getting a swingarm, suspension and wheel upgrade. YSR50 accepting a KX100 transplant (I learn how to use solidworks and a CNC with bonus chickenshit welds). RD350 freshen up and go fast goodies. Finishing touches on living room decor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I don't even really like 2 strokes but I'm jealous of that thing. Post pics of the rest of your toys!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Consider me jealous. Greatly awaiting you bringing it back to life.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

I don't even really like 2 strokes but I'm jealous of that thing. Post pics of the rest of your toys!

Those are fightin words!

Love two strokes, and this is a sweet project. I've always sort of thought we should have a 2-stroke chat thread.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Those are fightin words!

Love two strokes, and this is a sweet project. I've always sort of thought we should have a 2-stroke chat thread.

Lets have it right frickin' here! They are the best smelling engines, after all.

Clownbike is getting an engine upgrade because reasons. It had an aircooled YZ80 dropped in sometime before I got it - almost a direct drop in. Unfortunately, GP shift. gently caress GP shift.

This is the lady friend's bike that we are slowly getting the finishing touches for - tank badges, exhaust shields, proper forward controls and mirrors, ect.
Another one that started 'barn fresh'.

All four carbs have been puking injection oil from everywhere and made a bloody mess. There are valves in the nipple on the carb body that should keep oil from weeping out, but they are prone to failing.

Someone has been through the carbs before, uh oh.

Idiots used silicone, or o-rings that were not up to the task.

My list of parts is growing longer day by day, but everything so far is par for the course for a bike that has been sitting for ~15 years when not stored properly. I drained the coolant and it came out looking absolutely perfect. The oil was still fairly clean too, although it looked like the drain plug crush washer had been reused about 50 times.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
I fully appreciate 2 strokes. No 4 stroke has that 2 stroke feeling of being so alive yet seemingly trying to shake itself to death

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
My CR500 is a perfect example of that. Plenty alive but shakes some kind of fierce. For the RG, I am really interested to see how smooth it will run due to the arrangement of cranks / cylinders. It's a twin crank driving a common shaft. The cranks are 180° out of phase with each other while each cylinder is 180° out from the other cylinder on the same crank. All in all, it is like two twins joined together with two simultaneous power strokes per revolution. I think the engine will feel well balanced as the cylinders that fire at the same time are kiddy corner to each other cancelling out L/R and F/R vibrations. Or am I completely out to lunch on this?

These two rear brake line stays were rusty as hell.

A while back I made a shabby nickel plating tank but I did not have a proper power supply or way of controlling what power sources I did have, so the tank idea was shelved.
I picked this up a few weeks ago just for diagnostics but found that it works great for plating. Its a seriously cool toy/tool :science:

Dipped the brackets in acid for ~20 minutes to get them down to bare metal, removing any old nickel or rust.

I have no clue what is a proper time / current or voltage to plate at other than browsing forums that have questionable advice. The picture above are the settings I went up to until I saw a moderate stream of bubbles coming from the part. It came out looking very pale and cloudy after 30 minutes.

Tah Dah! The bracket on the left rusted that little bit within 35 minutes in open air.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok since this is now the general two stroke chat thread, I'll throw in with my current project.

I have a 1975 Kawasaki F11 250 (I'll add pictures when I'm not phoneposting). Great 70's enduro, which means it runs well, but has terrible suspension and maybe OK brakes.

The F11 was praised in its day for its good road manners and handling both on and off road, but like most bikes it's age, the suspension didn't stand the test of time. Fast forward 39 years and the forks are atrocious compared to other modern bikes. My off-road experiences with it mostly involve the forks tromboning around and bottoming out.

When a co-worker of mine offered me an 88 RM250 in a box with a blown motor for $60 I snapped it right up. For those who don't follow old dirt bikes, the 88 RM250 is widely viewed as having the pinnacle of conventional fork technology. The next generation RM saw a move to USD forks and a reduction in fork performance. The brakes were good too, considering that they ran the same brakes up through 08.

So I set forth grafting the complete rm250 front end on to my F11, forks, triples, wheel, brake and all. It's been a maddening journey down the bearing and spacer rabbit hole, but I've got it mounted and working.

I'll try to snap some pics tonight.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

DefaultPeanut posted:

Lets have it right frickin' here! They are the best smelling engines, after all.

Clownbike is getting an engine upgrade because reasons. It had an aircooled YZ80 dropped in sometime before I got it - almost a direct drop in. Unfortunately, GP shift. gently caress GP shift.

That YSR is awesome. What engine you going with? I have a Derbi Senda that needs a rebuild and am tired of buying parts from the Netherlands. Most guys throw CR80s in them but I'm looking to get something in the 110cc range for it. Keep the peak power of the 80s but get a broader torque curve and hopefully less rebuilding. In my dream world I put a kdx200 mill in it.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

DefaultPeanut posted:

My list of parts is growing longer day by day, but everything so far is par for the course for a bike that has been sitting for ~15 years when not stored properly. I drained the coolant and it came out looking absolutely perfect. The oil was still fairly clean too, although it looked like the drain plug crush washer had been reused about 50 times.

If you need parts, my neighbors run http://www.teamcalamari.com for all your mini bike needs.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 29, 2013

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

DefaultPeanut posted:

This is the lady friend's bike that we are slowly getting the finishing touches for - tank badges, exhaust shields, proper forward controls and mirrors, ect.
Another one that started 'barn fresh'.

These are awesome, I will someday own a YSR. What is the second one?

To contribute, I believe the last manually-shifted street-legal 2-stroke sold in the US was the Genuine Stella, which was last sold as a 2-stroke in 2009 (before switching to a visually similar, mechanically very different 4-stroke version in '10). It's a repro/continuation-of-production of the Vespa PX150. Here's mine (an '08):

It's a 150cc 2-stroke with a 4-speed twist-shift regular-clutch manual. Makes a bit more power than the Vespa on which it is based thanks to more generous porting and reed induction (vs rotary), but was so gutted by lean tuning and a catalytic converter to be 49-state legal that it could barely get past 45mph stock. A new air filter, rejet, and non-catalyzed exhaust fix all that, letting it breathe enough to reach 55 though it still doesn't get there in a hurry. Not to say people aren't tuning 25+hp Vespa motors that'll wheelie in a couple gears and run 75+mph comfortably.

While there are still 2-stroke scooters for sale they're all 50cc. I think the very last 2-stroke >50cc was the Genuine Rattler 110, sold to '10:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I have a 2 stroke!

It won't be 2 stroke for long though. :smug:

PS anyone need an RS125 engine, electronics, gauges, etc?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Do you have the silencer from it? It is round? Funny thing, RS125 pistons will work for the RG once you have run out of oversized OEM pistons.

To

Plated the rear axle head and adjuster plate. A sand blaster would be so much better than a tub of acid for stripping parts.
Click for big.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

DefaultPeanut posted:

Do you have the silencer from it? It is round? Funny thing, RS125 pistons will work for the RG once you have run out of oversized OEM pistons.

To

Plated the rear axle head and adjuster plate. A sand blaster would be so much better than a tub of acid for stripping parts.
Click for big.

It's got an HRC silencer but its a little beat up..I also have a NOS piston/crank.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
This is my two stroke:

Taken back when I was still fouling plugs probably - guessing from the goo on the pipes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The ol' Deet:

SO MUCH FUN in the woods.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I also look forward to this project thread totally dissuading me from ever wanting a 500cc 2T streetbike.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

I have a 2 stroke!

It won't be 2 stroke for long though. :smug:

PS anyone need an RS125 engine, electronics, gauges, etc?

loving heathen.

Edit: double-ban above weirdo. Then ban him again.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 31, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

loving heathen.

I missed you too buddy :3:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

I missed you too buddy :3:

Hit me up with your plans. I'm sure, I'll like them just as much as cancer or AIDS. Et tu brute?

Edit: To contribute a tad to this destroyed thread - Ask me about :

Yamaha RD/TZ 125-500, especially RD/TZ350 YPVS LCII but also RD air cooled.
Suzuki GT series, especially GT750 but also 350/380 and 500/550.
Kawasaki KH750 and KH125

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 31, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Post pictures of your toys, damnit.

And the plans? Honda CRF450X engine. As Zool said, the world's not losing a bring-ding-ding, it's gaining a brap.

(I have also considered a KTM 300 woods engine, but I have no idea how those would hold up to track use, although it would probably fit better. Also I have no idea how to fabricate a 2 stroke exhaust.)

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

Also I have no idea how to fabricate a 2 stroke exhaust.

This will roughly work:

The hard part is the port timing and square/volume.

Also, I have no toys now. All sold off. Kozmonaut kind of got me hooked on a big 4-stroke 1 cylinder when we picked up his yamaha 660xt, but right now, I'm kind of unsure of what I want.

Edit: Probably just another Yamaha RD350YPVS LCII or 500TZ

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 31, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That looks like a lotta maffs for a guy like me. Instead I can just red neck the he'll out of a 4t exhaust and be good to go! :v:

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Z3n posted:

That looks like a lotta maffs for a guy like me. Instead I can just red neck the he'll out of a 4t exhaust and be good to go! :v:

It will be like riding a trials bike!

Besides paint and emblems, my 1974 RD200 got a frame up resto-mod when I was in grade 12. I rode that bitch to prom in the grad parade, was :coal:

Day off from school to chill in the mall. :smug:

Since then, I found a set of expansion chambers for it, swapped out the god awful flange mount carbs, opened up the reed blocks and have a spare set of cylinders ready to port.
Maybe paint the thing at some point.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll post my project bike, a 1975 Suzuki TS400.

Here it is a little after snacking on its own cylinder wall. So, gotta fix that and other small things to get it in good running condition. I love sliding the back wheel around in gravel parking lots, can't wait to get it in the woods when it's fixed.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

Can't loving hear you, mate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4FudiMUIr0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UfpoQYjhY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW1DZVfCprM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQIkjHwFEI

Also the title of this thread is technically incorrect for all Suzukies equipped with SRIS - including, but not limited to, the GT750 water buffalo and the OPs sexy RG500. They all run fine with cheap 10w40 in the lubrication tank with the point-lubrication and recycle system. I've seen 4-strokes burn more oil.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 31, 2013

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
N/M

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sir Cornelius posted:

Can't loving hear you, mate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4FudiMUIr0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UfpoQYjhY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW1DZVfCprM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQIkjHwFEI

Also the title of this thread is technically incorrect for all Suzukies equipped with SRIS - including, but not limited to, the GT750 water buffalo and the OPs sexy RG500. They all run fine with cheap 10w40 in the lubrication tank with the point-lubrication and recycle system. I've seen 4-strokes burn more oil.

Holy poo poo, a sir Cornelius post I agree with!!!! My RV90 never ever smokes and has a super reliable lube system. It's not SRIS, but the older CCI was awesome for its time. My kawi 250 that is 3 years newer smokes like crazy till it warms up and smokes only slightly less when it's warm. If it wasn't for the sound, you'd think the RV90 was a 4-stroke.

I still run actual 2-stroke oil in mine for the smell :3: but I have run 10wWhatever one time in a pinch, it did fine.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy poo poo, a sir Cornelius post I agree with!!!! My RV90 never ever smokes and has a super reliable lube system. It's not SRIS, but the older CCI was awesome for its time. My kawi 250 that is 3 years newer smokes like crazy till it warms up and smokes only slightly less when it's warm. If it wasn't for the sound, you'd think the RV90 was a 4-stroke.

I still run actual 2-stroke oil in mine for the smell :3: but I have run 10wWhatever one time in a pinch, it did fine.

My holy motherfucking Gods of War, a Silly-Balls post that I agree with. Fun fact: you'll destroy your main bearings running 2-stroke oil through a SRIS-system. Before anybody get wrong ideas here: don't try to mix your 10wWhatever with gasoline for a two-stroke that does not have a lubrication system.

Your Kawasaki probably smokes because it's running a way too fat mixture, not because it's burning oil. Leaning out two-strokes is an performance art with almost instant punishment for failure and similar prompt reward for success. Is the smoke white or blue?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Sir Cornelius posted:

Leaning out two-strokes is an performance art with almost instant punishment for failure and similar prompt reward for success. Is the smoke white or blue?

Leaning out two-strokes is a performance art with a high risk/reward ratio, I'd say.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I spotted this while playing gta 5, thought it was cool to see in a video game released in 2013.

I was playing online and that car creeping in from the right of the frame hit me at about 900 mph a fraction of a second after I snapped the pic and killed me, so at least I got photographic evidence of the two stroke mention.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Jim, I bought DG pipes for an RD from someone in Milwaukee once and had a friend pick them up. It wasn't you, was it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Twas not I. My DG pipes went with my RD

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
A friend dropped off a 2000 RM125 for some investigation into why the engine locked up. Unmixed fuel.
Load of parts incoming for the RG. I may have found some NOS side cowls in the deep dark corners of a local shop. Where the hell do I find a decent 110/90-16 front these days?

Also, Holy poo poo

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Parts are rolling in.

For the RG

For the TDR

I need to get over the god drat cold so I can start working on these things again.

DefaultPeanut fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 8, 2014

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
KX100 meet YSR. A friend of mine has a CNC router setup for making offroad stuff and let me run these through.

The previous owner had to LAYERDAN on both sides - more than once from the looks of it. The silencers were among the first things to get mangled. Good condition ones are very hard to find, and are pricey when they do turn up. Some kits are made with new covers, but are in excess of $350 without end caps. That's not happening.

Almost all of them on one bit.

Not bad so far

Looking a lot better than she was even a month ago. You can see the nicks in the swingarm where the silencer was rubbing. Bonus RD350 in the background.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
I just pulled a pair of (free!) '74 Suzuki Gt550s and like 3 boxes of assorted parts out of a sweet old ladies garage, her husband was gone, but he had apparently refused several offers on them over the past few years. Complete motor between both bikes, debating about trying to sell the parts or building two into one bike. Anyone know anything about these guys? I know the 550 were supposedly more pedestrian than the smaller and bigger displacement bikes.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

sw0cb posted:

I just pulled a pair of (free!) '74 Suzuki Gt550s and like 3 boxes of assorted parts out of a sweet old ladies garage, her husband was gone, but he had apparently refused several offers on them over the past few years. Complete motor between both bikes, debating about trying to sell the parts or building two into one bike. Anyone know anything about these guys? I know the 550 were supposedly more pedestrian than the smaller and bigger displacement bikes.

From what little I know of them the suzuki 2-strokes were/are heavy ponderous and didn't handle all that great. Decent bikes and reliable when kept up on maintenance but not enything anyone would go gaga for except collectors of folks that had one back in the day.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Skreemer posted:

From what little I know of them the suzuki 2-strokes were/are heavy ponderous and didn't handle all that great. Decent bikes and reliable when kept up on maintenance but not enything anyone would go gaga for except collectors of folks that had one back in the day.

They are the most reliable two strokes out of the 4 japanese manufacturers, and all bikes from that era were heavy and ponderous, so you may as well go with the one least likely to leave you stranded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Aren't the GTs the watercooled jobbers? It seems like for whatever reason the most common bikes in order are the RDs, Kawi triples, Suzuki GTs. That's just what I see in complete bikes for sale around here.

• Locked thread