Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Survarium is a poorly-named upcoming Free-To-Play MMOFPS survival game (Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter) being developed by Vostok Games, a group of developers who have left GSC Game World to form a new studio and continue their vision of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R franchise under a different name and model.

Because of an inability to come to agreement about the use of the 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R.' intellectual property between the developers at GSC and its CEO, Sergei 'Judas' Grigorovich, the STALKER 2 project was frozen and development cancelled.

Survarium is the result, as described on its website:

quote:

Survarium is a F2P MMOFPS game set in the near future. The game focuses on a mass-scale ecological catastrophe on Earth, the reasons behind vaguely known.
Impassable woods advance onto cities from every side, maddened animals and birds attack industrial complexes, military structures, warehouses and power plants.
Strange plants and mushrooms grow through concrete and steel.
Scientists all over the world haplessly try to cope with the anomaly sprawling across the Earth with terrifying speed.
Countries collapse, anarchy spreads throughout the world. Now force dictates who to survive.
The game is developed with a new proprietary Vostok Engine technology and is planned for release on PC at the end of 2013.

As of today, you can purchase beta access which includes PVP objective-based game play. Gun play is quite nice and the engine is great. I can definitely see where they've invested their time. Unfortunately, free-play is not included but will be sometime soon.

https://shop.survarium.com/en/

It's $10 for the beta access but you get credited back your $10 in "Golden Rubles" which will be used for the cosmetics store later on. Why not?

By the way, my in game name is AlexanderDeLarge in case anyone wants to group up tomorrow. Will update the OP when it's not 4AM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokedad
Jan 27, 2005
I am a creepy cunt.
In game as Pokedad.

So far, I'm being constantly spawn killed by Russians and this one guy who has 350 ping (the only person on the map with over 100) is getting 30 to 5 KD.

It's floaty where Stalker felt weighty and the whole reason I bought it (Stalker but all the NPCs are people) won't be happening for a year.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Before you spend money and get angry

https://forum.survarium.com/en/lottery.php?list=1 posted:

PLEASE NOTE! FYI, currently our CBT game servers are located in Russia. This may cause connection problems and high ping rates for some of the players. We apologize for this temporary inconvenience.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

pertinent posted:

Before you spend money and get angry

I'm really surprised. I get around 100-150 ping at most when I play and I'm in Phoenix AZ

Pokedad
Jan 27, 2005
I am a creepy cunt.
The ping is great from Australia.

Trip report:

The gunplay feels better the more you play with it.
The weapons feel pretty good and balanced.
You'll die pretty much instantly until you get yourself some armour.
The starting pistol is terrible in the right way. That sounds weird, I guess... It's not very powerful and decent armour will more or less stop it completely. It's a very steep learning curve, but it forces you to think about sticking with team members, working togther, picking your battles and aiming well instead of unloading clips.
Firing weapons that aren't the starting pistol is expensive. You pay for each round. Again, it forces you to think about engaging. Firing clips down a hallway in the hope of hitting something is going to cost you a fortune that could've gone to better equipment.

My first round was on an ugly, misty, grey map. It was raining and the rain looked nice but I was pretty disappointed by how dreary it looked. Turns out it was just really good weather effects. The same level in other weather conditions is beautiful. It actually made me reconsider my initial opinion on the rainy day. It looked like a cold, foggy, rainy poo poo of a day should.

At the moment there's only a single game type. There are ten boxes of stuff around the level. Your team needs to get as many as they can and bring them back to the base. At the end of a 15 minute round, the team with the most boxes wins. This should lead to team based back and forth. An early rush to secure them and then a team based series of raids on bases to steal the others. What it ends up being is an initial rush and then a stalemate. There are exceptions, but most of the time it ends up turning into TDM after that. I expect that to get better once clans are implemented. Once they include the objective system, I think the multi will mix up really well.

Still pissed that we aren't getting an open world until next year.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I wonder how West Coast US is :ohdear:.

That trip report sounds cool though, it doesn't sound like a terrible BF3 meatgrinder.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

To those of you playing this I have some questions:

Is it possible to loot enemies for weapons? If so, how? --- NO IT IS NOT!
How does one equip grenades? I have purchased them but have no option to drag them onto my dude in the inventory. --- YOU NEED ARMOR WITH A 'ITEM SLOT' TO EQUIP INTO
Is there a melee feature? I don't see any option for it in the controls so I'm assuming no. --- NOT YET

Would be very much worthwhile to whip up a quick 'things to know' feature if anyone is willing to take the time.

My rubber coated man barbie sniper! Specialty is flanking through inaccessible areas and making a pest of myself.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 6, 2014

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Is anyone currently playing this? I would love some friends.
Already being accused of HAX after games like

I can lock down one side of the map, but my team can't pull through :(
I always try for a last-second raid on the enemy cache but they seem to have caught on to such dirty tactics.

To anyone not sold on this yet - it's WELL worth the ten bucks if any of the following apply to you:

A) You liked Stalker
B) You enjoy a more tactical manshoot - less run and gun, more careful infiltrations and plotting.
C) Some might consider this sinful of me to say: You loved CoD MW1 on Hardcore. This game is bringing back serious hardcore CoD vibes and I love it. MW1 had an abundance of sneakery and foliage to lurk around in and this game has it in spades!
D) You have fond memories of Far Cry / Crysis and associated jungle-shooting sniping games (not the lovely urban ones).
E) You want to take a break from BF4/CoD Ghosts or whathaveyou. It really is a whole different pace of game.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 6, 2014

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

(stupid double post)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What if I'm one of those really strange people who didn't like STALKER because the gun play felt terrible?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Stanley Pain posted:

What if I'm one of those really strange people who didn't like STALKER because the gun play felt terrible?

Then I don't think you'll like this one much? Really it is a matter of taste... I'd say it's quite stalker-ish currently, if a little more manageable.

Zerric
Jan 11, 2003
Big Dick Zerric
Just picked this up and got enough money to get the TOZ and a couple pieces of armor. Seems pretty fun so far but I should've probably waited till I had enough for the AKS

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Zerric posted:

Just picked this up and got enough money to get the TOZ and a couple pieces of armor. Seems pretty fun so far but I should've probably waited till I had enough for the AKS

Even if you can afford that, you'll want to use it only when you have a clear shot. The ammo is quite expensive compared to the starter pistol. I made the same mistake as you and eventually fixed it, but I found it wasn't a mistake at all.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jumping in this right now. Did I really have the option to pay for beta access by using a Subway or Burger King gift card?

Zerric
Jan 11, 2003
Big Dick Zerric
Wow, having a lot more fun with this game now that I have a vityaz and armor. Does the oxygen tank help with sprint duration or is it just for the poisonous areas?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

jabro posted:

Jumping in this right now. Did I really have the option to pay for beta access by using a Subway or Burger King gift card?

This honestly charmed me into wanting beta access, but it does look like a legit thing rather than just "poor Ukranian devs."

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Cheston posted:

This honestly charmed me into wanting beta access, but it does look like a legit thing rather than just "poor Ukranian devs."

I'm sticking to the 'poor Ukranian devs need to eat too' explanation, though.
If anyone is in game, add me there! DarkDobe in there too obviously enough.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

DarkDobe posted:

I'm sticking to the 'poor Ukranian devs need to eat too' explanation, though.
If anyone is in game, add me there! DarkDobe in there too obviously enough.

I love how if you switch the country outside of the United States, you never see anything like that.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Man, the starter pistol is hilariously weak. I'm playing my first game right now. I unload a whole clip into people and they just turn around, shrug it off, and then light me up with whatever machine gun they have in like three shots.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

jabro posted:

Man, the starter pistol is hilariously weak. I'm playing my first game right now. I unload a whole clip into people and they just turn around, shrug it off, and then light me up with whatever machine gun they have in like three shots.

Keep an eye out for people in the heavy armor jackets - they are still killable, but you need to be more careful with where you shoot. Usually 4-5 rounds will do even an armored opponent in, less if you hit the head.

That said - don't make the mistake I did and buy armor and such first. Save your money for a gun! Guns make for easier kills which makes getting the armor and kit far simpler. I did it rear end backwards and made things more difficult for myself.

That said, in regard to guns:
-The Fort 17 is a HUGE upgrade over the starter pistol, since it has almost double the capacity and identical stats otherwise. I recommend picking it up if you don't want to wait. Equip it to your 'left' side hand to make it primary and carry the Tokarev as a secondary to swap to - swapping is quicker than reloading, yes.
-Skip the revolver - it has a minor damage upgrade and slower fire rate, coupled with slower reload. More for flavour than anything in the current state.
-The hunting rifle is an amazing upgrade for the price - consider picking that up as your first buy!
-The R700 sniper rifle is very good, but does limit you drastically in close range engagements, as one might expect.
While the sawn off might seem good, skip it and get the Remington if it's a shotgun you're after - double the capacity and it is rather amazing and plugging people up to a surprising distance.
I have not purchased any of the automatics, as they do not appeal to my methods quite yet. Seems everyone and their grandma uses the AKS, though. Never seen anyone use the Uzi or the Vityaz.

So far as kit is concerned, I HIGHLY recommend picking up an Oxy tank. While active, it drastically increases your survivability in toxic areas, almost to the extent that a full kit of hazmat gear would without it. On a good few maps this allows you to run and flank through some dangerous area for a convenient short-cut.

Beware, though - the toxic damage is cumulative, and does not dissipate over time, so far as I can tell. Especially so the effects that tint your vision - like the waste gas area on No Signal (radar telescope level). Even with full hazmat kit, you can only survive one run through, so use it to attack the enemy base, or to escape - you won't survive a round trip!

Zerric
Jan 11, 2003
Big Dick Zerric
I agree with the hunting rifle being an amazing upgrade. It was my first buy and I still use it pretty regularly. I've been using the Vityaz and it's pretty good so far, but I'm saving up for the AKS to give that a go since I apparently suck at sniping and ended up wasting money on the 700

Pokedad
Jan 27, 2005
I am a creepy cunt.
The starting pistol seems to be there to teach you a harsh lesson in Stalkernomics. You will die if you run into firefights guns blazing. By making you use a small clipped, low damage pistol, you are kind of forced to stick with a group and not randomly fire at people you see miles away.

The hunting rifle is really good. With AP ammo, it will often one-shot a lightly armoured target. Even with a body shot.

So far I've found grenades to be useless for kills. they're for clearing enemies out of cover. That might change if you level up your explosives skill, though. apparently it makes blast damage and radius a lot better.

Oh and let's all be BFFs in game My name is Pokedad. It'll be nice when clans start.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Has anyone else had problems where Crates can't be picked up? Twice now I've died crouching all around a box of parts.

I'm also Cheston ingame.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I've never had a problem with crates being wonky.
My problem is beartraps, especially beartraps that teammates set - since you cannot disarm those, and often enough they are planted in such a way that they block your route - usually out of enemy base with a box of parts!
There really ought to be some sort of indicator, and I'd say on the minimap, showing where team-mates have planted traps.

I've been using the vityaz as well, decided to buy that instead of an AKS because I want to be a snowflake. It's quite good, that said - I've been using FMJ ammo for it, considering the 10% damage drop is negligible vs the 10% armor penetration gain vs those targets where it really matters.

That said, my favourite thing right now is still the remington shotgun - that thing is a beast. While I love sniping a great deal, I adore pumping enemy dudes full of double-aught.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Avocados posted:

I wonder how West Coast US is :ohdear:.

West Coast US has pretty good ping, the only thing I've noticed is that occasionally russian players... jitter a little. More distracting than anything else.

I'm looking forward to seeing this game develop, should turn out nicely unless they pull a PGI and never actually release the parts people are excited for.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Cheston posted:

West Coast US has pretty good ping, the only thing I've noticed is that occasionally russian players... jitter a little. More distracting than anything else.

DarkDobe posted:

To anyone not sold on this yet - it's WELL worth the ten bucks if any of the following apply to you:

A) You liked Stalker
B) You enjoy a more tactical manshoot - less run and gun, more careful infiltrations and plotting.
C) Some might consider this sinful of me to say: You loved CoD MW1 on Hardcore. This game is bringing back serious hardcore CoD vibes and I love it. MW1 had an abundance of sneakery and foliage to lurk around in and this game has it in spades!
Guess I'm hopping in, because I loved Stalker and I really appreciated/still miss MW1's Hardcore mode. That game had the perfect balance of pacing.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The game is pretty barebones right now but the price is low and the feel is right, so I have great hopes.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

On right now and for the next few hours - add me there!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Aside from the crippling lag Im getting, this is a really cool game. It definitely has the COD4 vibes in all the good ways, but I kinda wish my hands weren't all floaty.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Avocados posted:

Aside from the crippling lag Im getting, this is a really cool game. It definitely has the COD4 vibes in all the good ways, but I kinda wish my hands weren't all floaty.

You mean the animations?
The run animations in particular are hilarious - especially the pistol.

I think that with a few tweaks the animations could be fantastic, though - especially ones like cycling the bolt on your Remington snipergun. It looks fantastic - apart from the fact that the weapon is held perfectly still while the action is performed.

A great test: turn off sound and play around with the different guns and animations, and you'll see immediately which ones -feel- good, and which ones seem lacking something. Sounds make up for a huge part of the 'impact' of the weapons, and the sound in the game is quite lovely - it's just some of the animations need a little more love.

I would also like to see weapon movement while aiming down sights and moving - the guns right now just glue themselves flawlessly to the middle of your screen and feel a bit artificial. There should be a slight amount of bob and sway while crawling/walking around and aimed.

YesManKablam
Feb 19, 2013
Took the ten dollar plunge! I'm in with the same name as here. I'll be playing for awhile so feel free to add me.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Been enjoying myself quite a bit, I also highly recommend picking up the oxygen tank. You get 60 seconds supply per respawn so you can use the routes less travelled a couple times per life without issue and come from some unexpected directions.

And then shoot some dudes in the back and steal a crate and retreat back into the toxic gas like a big smelly ghost.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Game is kinda unplayable from the West Coast, as enemies jitter around at longer distances making aiming hard. :(

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Avocados posted:

Game is kinda unplayable from the West Coast, as enemies jitter around at longer distances making aiming hard. :(

I consider it to be something of a chaos-bullet-travel-time factor for sniping.
I lead my targets instinctively and it seems to work out far more often than not!

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Does their site really not take Discover? I keep entering my info but it keeps saying that the payment method isn't available in my area.

E: also here's a link to a lottery for beta admission, a winner is picked every 20 minutes https://forum.survarium.com/en/lottery.php?list=1

E2: got poo poo working now, in as Robot Randy

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 23, 2014

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Robot Randy posted:

Does their site really not take Discover? I keep entering my info but it keeps saying that the payment method isn't available in my area.

E: also here's a link to a lottery for beta admission, a winner is picked every 20 minutes https://forum.survarium.com/en/lottery.php?list=1

E2: got poo poo working now, in as Robot Randy

Send you a friend request.
I'll be on here a bit more to see how the patch changes went!

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Bought a hunting shotgun :toot:

E: Holy poo poo, buy the TOZ-34, tab over to the Black Market page, and load up on slugs. They do crazy amounts of damage and allow you to clown on fools in full gear

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 24, 2014

The Ranger
Apr 7, 2004

One of these days, I'm going to snap and kill that fucking bear.
Oh man. I love the living poo poo out of STALKER but everything I've read about this indicates that it's pretty much PVP-only at this point. Devs are claiming that some new areas and a questing system are going to be inserted to promote PVE both solo and in groups... any word on this?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

The Ranger posted:

Oh man. I love the living poo poo out of STALKER but everything I've read about this indicates that it's pretty much PVP-only at this point. Devs are claiming that some new areas and a questing system are going to be inserted to promote PVE both solo and in groups... any word on this?

From what I understand, Survarium is going to have a free play option that will be similar to Day-Z/STALKER once the main story has been completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So wait, all that is in right now is a small pvp map?

• Locked thread