Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Release Date: January 9th

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a spin-off character action game along the lines of Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, created together by Platinum Games and Kojima Productions. In my opinion, it is one of the top two games of 2013, and on January 9th it'll finally be coming to the PC! I did the thread for the console release, I did a big rear end LP for this game that you can find in the goldmine, and now I'm doing a thread for the PC release. I LOVE THIS GAAAAAME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7IlIUKP64o

The PC version of Revengeance comes with everything that was split up for the console release. This includes the three DLC packs: extra VR missions, Jetstream Sam's story campaign (this is really good), Blade Wolf's story campaign (it's okay), and some random costumes. You can currently pre-order the game on Steam and Amazon for $23.99.

It is unknown how well the PC port will perform, as this is Platinum's first time doing a PC port of one of their games, but from tweets it sounds like they are doing a better job at this than some other Japanese developers. The one thing we know for sure is that the game does not support resolutions over 1080p, at least until a fan hacks in a patch. The game has some fairly high system requirements, but the devs have stated that the recommended requirements are for if you want to the game to run at 1080p 60fps with everything cranked to max.

The PC port also features a few new things the console versions did not have. This includes the ability to increase the amount of pieces/physics objects you can cut things into beyond the limit the console versions had, a cutscene and codec call viewer, and the ability to :siren:play boss fights by themselves!:siren:

The game is 25 gigs due to lots of high-def pre-rendered cutscenes, but it sounds like pre-loading will start for the game about a week before it goes live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DE7HenZiBo

Revengeance takes place four years after the end of Metal Gear Solid 4 and follows Raiden, a weird nerd who ended up getting put into a cyborg body against his will sometime after the events of Metal Gear Solid 2. This game is only lightly connected to the plot of the Metal Gear Solid series, so don't worry if you haven't played those games. It does a pretty good job of summing up what you actually need to know. Revengeance is all about Raiden throwing Metal Gears into the sky, child soldiers, and dog-shaped robot buddies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmPa2RwAa4&t=899s

Created by Platinum Games, Revengeance has pretty satisfying and fairly deep combat that people will complain about on the internet because the game doesn't really hold your hand at all. The game is somewhere between Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta, with fast combat that relies on you being able to defend well with parries and dodges. This game features a context sensitive parry move that is crucial to the game. Not learning how to use the parry essentially means you will get wrecked, as it's your main line of defense against aggressive enemies.

Another key feature is Blade Mode, a mechanic that allows you to slow down time and freely slice objects into little bits. Blade Mode is another crucial mechanic, as it allows you to cut weakened enemies in half, cut off limbs to disable their offensive capabilities, and pull out their cyborg spines so you can drink the sweet Gatorade stored inside in order to replenish your own health.

How do I parry?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2MHp6_SSMs

Parry is assigned to a movement and works very similarly to the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa accessory in Bayonetta. Parry is a contextual move, and not something you can bust out constantly. When an enemy is attacking you, tilt the left stick on the direction of the enemy and press the light attack button (square on PS3, X on 360) at the same time. Poor timing results in just a block, while good timing blocks and also parries their attack. Keep in mind that you cannot be moving towards and enemy and just press attack. You must let the stick go back to neutral, then press the stick in their direction. It has a bit of a learning curve, but feels great once you get used to it.

How do I dodge?!
After completing the prologue, you gain access to a store that you can purchase upgrades from at any time. The cheapest move you can buy in the entire game is called "Defensive Offense", and this is your dodge move. Buy it right away! Buy it! The dodge move is a maneuver that is performed by pressing light attack and jump at the same time. (Square + X on PS3, X + A on 360).
Doing this while standing still causes you to dodge backwards and slash your sword at the enemy. You can also press a direction to dodge and slash forward, or to the left or right. The forward dodge is different from the other dodges and has some invincibility frames. Perfect dodging will allow you to jump straight through attacks. The dodge ends with a sword slash like the other dodges. Unlike the other dodges, you can cancel out of it with blade mode. This means you can use it to dodge through an attack and cancel out of it without having to wait for the sword slash to finish. The other dodges cannot be cancelled out of and have a bit of a recovery time, so be careful.

I keep loving up my Blade Mode cuts!
Unless you need to do precise cuts, use the face buttons for quick cuts. Light attack does horizontal cuts, and strong attack does vertical cuts. For precise cuts, remember that you do not do a swiping motion with the right stick to cut. Spinning the stick around allows you to change the angle. Simply letting go of the stick performs a cut. This means you can do quick cuts by flick the stick in whatever direction you want. The left stick controls the camera and where the cut line is on the enemy. Remember that you can go into the options and switch which stick does what in Blade Mode.

How do I perform a specific move?
The pause menu has a section labeled "Help" that displays the movelist for whatever weapon you have equipped, as well as general controls.

The camera is kind of bad/I can't keep the camera focused on enemies!
Yeah, this game's camera is crummy. It generally flips out when it gets wedged into corners or when you've got your back to a wall. As far as focusing on enemies, :siren:you can lock on to them:siren:! On the PS3 the lock-on button is R2, but the PC version will probably be using the 360 button mapping, so lock-on while probably be on the right bumper. The lock-on is a toggle, and you can press left and right on the right stick while locked on to switch between targets.

adios, amigos

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

When we get closer to release I'll be posting some more videos explaining more of the mechanics to help out newcomers that aren't used to this genre or Platinum Games in general.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Goddamn I am ready to cut everything in 1080p. Also cranking the physics objects to max :getin:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Revengeance GotY 2013, now GotY 2014.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Anatharon posted:

EQing this

Also hot drat what a title

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Might also be worth mentioning that you have to buy the dodge move. It's the cheapest move available and the first one listed (effectively making it a 'how to buy new moves' tutorial), but I know some reviewers who thought they were being smart by skipping that cheap newbie-fodder and just getting the big-ticket items, only to run into a brick wall when they start encountering unblockable attacks.

Don't be that guy and try to be too smart for your own good. It'll bite you in the rear end later.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
DAMMIT I KNEW THERE WAS A DODGE BUTTON SOMEWHERE!

This thread has already improved my life.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anatharon posted:

Game of the year all years, frankly.

Ready to :black101: RULES OF NATURE :black101: all over again in a week and a half!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Looking forward to this a lot. My brother gifted me a copy of that DmC: Devil May Cry game when it was on the cheap because he knew I was itching for a good beat-em-up title and only had DMC4 to fall back on, but really playing the first couple levels of that baby food only made it worse.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've played through this game at least 5 times on PS3 but goddamn I just know I'm gonna be playing through it another 5 on PC. The 9th can't come soon enough :getin:

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

My friend and I gifted this to each other for Christmas, I have been kicking myself for not playing it until now and my friend has never played a Metal Gear game before. I am so excited for this to come out! Has there been any word as of yet as to how well this preorder has sold on Steam so far? I'm hopeful that this will prove to be fruitful for Platinum causing them to continue to port their stuff to Steam.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

Looking forward to this a lot. My brother gifted me a copy of that DmC: Devil May Cry game when it was on the cheap because he knew I was itching for a good beat-em-up title and only had DMC4 to fall back on, but really playing the first couple levels of that baby food only made it worse.

Oh yeah this game will be like a cooling salve. It came out early 2013 right after DmC so it was the same case back then. All the goofy Japanese humor and obscure technical fighting systems you could ever want out of this kind of game.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
I am stupidly excited to melt my freshly built gaming rig with maximum zangeki settings. RULES OF NATURE :black101::black101::black101: Can't wait for January. :getin:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Can't wait to fail at this game with my nonexisted reflexes and mouse + keyboard combo...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I was kinda on the fence about buying this a second time but they PUT IN DIRECT JUMPS TO BOSSES GUYS

I was powerless to resist :argh:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Is this going to be the general purpose/non-spoiler thread going forward? I just got this game for Christmas and I'm enjoying it a lot so far, even though I feel like I suck hardcore, even on normal. I haven't quite got parrying down yet.

Also, is it just me or is the camera loving awful? It seems like it's never pointing in the way I want it to in combat?

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
After watching a bit of your LP of this, there was no way I could not experience this myself.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

This is a good thread title OP

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spalec posted:

Is this going to be the general purpose/non-spoiler thread going forward? I just got this game for Christmas and I'm enjoying it a lot so far, even though I feel like I suck hardcore, even on normal. I haven't quite got parrying down yet.

Also, is it just me or is the camera loving awful? It seems like it's never pointing in the way I want it to in combat?

Chip add this to your OP

There's a lock-on button that'll help things out a bit. What system are you playing on?

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

This is the best title I've ever seen.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Going to be sad I can't get 1200p.

Is there a difficulty where enemies don't take their turn at fighting?

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Enemies don't take turns on Very Hard and Revengeance mode.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bear in mind that VH and Revengeance were tuned for new game+, doing the Konami code to unlock them on first play is going to be hard to the point of impossibility and will probably frustrate a player into quitting.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I wonder if there's language options. I had a really dumb idea for a run involving the mariachi outfit, the machete and language set to mexican.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh lord, I'll have to get gold on VR Mission 18 again, won't I? :negative:

I wonder if the boss select mode lets you earn ranks without having to go through the entire level again. I'm guessing not, but that sure would be convenient.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Played the poo poo out of this on the PS3 but am going to finally go all out and get all the achievements if it runs good on my PC.

First run of the game is going to be Very Hard no upgrades to get naked & unloved+samurai out of the way :getin:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yo, you should probably mention that you can walk around in blade mode by clicking down the camera stick. I remember more than a few people being shocked that you could do that when you did it in your LP.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Will this be remotely playable with a keyboard and mouse, or will I have another game to file under "Will totally enjoy when Steam controller comes out"?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Will probably wait for port reports before buying into the PC version. Don't get me wrong, I fully approve of Platinum Games on PC, it's just that a) I'm broke, and b) I already have this for PS3 thanks to PlayStation Plus. :getin:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Got mine sitting waiting to preload. A lot of other poo poo was garbage this year but it's still a good year because this and Wonderful 101 came out. All of my money to Kamiya.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Geight posted:

Will this be remotely playable with a keyboard and mouse, or will I have another game to file under "Will totally enjoy when Steam controller comes out"?

It will probably be as playable with a keyboard and mouse as Devil May Cry is, as in not very unless you are a crazy person who uses keyboard specifically because it's easier to jump cancel that way.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
If you try and play this game with KB+M you are a depraved individual.

Just find a cheap wired 360 controller or hook up a ps3 controller through Bluetooth.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I play every game with a KB+M. I am also a depraved individual.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

just get an afterglow 360 controller, cheap and feels great

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I only want this game to do well on PC as it gives the smallest possibility that Bayonneta comes to PC.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Geight posted:

Xbox360 controllers have been out for years and work perfect with console ports.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Ronnie posted:

I only want this game to do well on PC as it gives the smallest possibility that Bayonneta comes to PC.

There is a PC build of Bayonetta hiding out in Platinum's office, it even has Nvidia 3D Vision support. We have to rely on Sega though if we want a pc port though so drat.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is the recomended spec realy an i7? I realy need to build a new pc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would take the mouse and keyboard over the steam controller every single time for this genre, probably in general.

The only thing I can imagine being worse than the M+KB controls for this is a controller that emulates M+KB controls on a pad. :v:
Seriously though, I know some people have a lot of loyalty to M+KB, but sometimes it's like using a fork to eat soup. You gotta use the right tool for the job and in this case, it's a control pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bald and fail II posted:

Is the recomended spec realy an i7? I realy need to build a new pc.

In the OP:

quote:

but the devs have stated that the recommended requirements are for if you want to the game to run at 1080p 60fps with everything cranked to max.

So you can play it with less, just don't expect to have every single option maxed.

• Locked thread