Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

InfinityComplex posted:

Platinum/Obsidian mixup

FUND IT NOW.

Very serious story about the nature of humanity and the alienation experienced by cyborgs in between cutting up giant robots with the swordguns attached to your feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

1stGear posted:

Very serious story about the nature of humanity and the alienation experienced by cyborgs in between cutting up giant robots with the swordguns attached to your feet.

Sounds like a more OTT version of Ghost in the Shell.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

1stGear posted:

...that is forced to release 12 months early, with no advertising or post-release support. Both studios subsequently dissolve when its metacritic score is too low for the publisher to pay them anything because IGN gives it 3/10.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 31, 2013

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sindai posted:

...that is forced to release 12 months early, with no advertising or post-release support. Both studios subsequently dissolve when its metacritic score is too low for the publisher to pay them anything because IGN gives it 3/10.

Bethesda later releases a similar, but inferior version that receives over 50 Game of the Year awards and Todd Howard is crowned the new Doritos Pope.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

randombattle posted:

Also gently caress Sega anyway I'm still mad at them for deciding to localize Yakuza Dead Souls and not Ishin. Or 5. No of course not let's not get good games let's get the lovely zombie game.
Obviously because 4 didn't compete with its equal: Final Fantasy XIII, or because no one liked Dead Souls, we can see that there is ZERO audience for Yakuza in the US. :v:

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 31, 2013

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
You all sound like neckbeards from NMA

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Robot Randy posted:

You all sound like neckbeards from NMA

No way to sound like NMA we'd have to all be talking about how every game sucks and only metal gear (msx version only!!! :reject:) is worthy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Obviously because 4 didn't compete with its equal: Final Fantasy XIII, or because no one liked Dead Souls, we can see that there is ZERO audience for Yakuza in the US. :v:

To be honest if "Yazuka with zombies" didn't sell Yazuka Without Zombies is less likely to sell even if it is a better game.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Robzilla posted:

When Raiden walks in with an itty bitty waist and a round thing in yo face...

I am not finishing that lyric. :colbert:

Yeah, the embarrassment from that post I made nearly killed me.

YOU GET SPRUNG.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest if "Yazuka with zombies" didn't sell Yazuka Without Zombies is less likely to sell even if it is a better game.

Yakuza with samurai would at least. Way of the Samurai 4 was pretty popular.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

I would love to see a Mad World/Max Anarchy pack for PC. I played the poo poo out of Max Anarchy on the PS3 and really want to give Mad World a try. This thread also reminded me that I haven't beaten Vanquish yet.

Mad World is not good. It is super simple and basically the definition of style over substance. You should go beat Vanquish though because that owns.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

notZaar posted:

Platinum is like the exact opposite to Obsidian. They make technically excellent games with fun gameplay and fun stories.

None of platinum's games were remotely as cringeworthy as the best tries of the dirty western world :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

randombattle posted:

Yakuza with samurai would at least. Way of the Samurai 4 was pretty popular.

Unless you have information from somewhere else, everything I've found about WotS4 is that it was a fairly low seller (but it was also a low-budget release so it might have turned a profit.) Samurai are not really super-duper popular while zombie games, especially at the time Dead Souls was released, were the Current Hotness.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Unless you have information from somewhere else, everything I've found about WotS4 is that it was a fairly low seller (but it was also a low-budget release so it might have turned a profit.) Samurai are not really super-duper popular while zombie games, especially at the time Dead Souls was released, were the Current Hotness.

Seeing how it was a digital only release with no spoken translations it must not have cost too much to release. It must have sold well enough for them to go back and translate the dlc stuff months after release. It didn't sell millions but I'd bet they made a profit on it all things considered.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

randombattle posted:

Seeing how it was a digital only release with no spoken translations it must not have cost too much to release. It must have sold well enough for them to go back and translate the dlc stuff months after release. It didn't sell millions but I'd bet they made a profit on it all things considered.

It's Xseed we're talking about, they know how to translate a game out a budget measured in ramen packets and turn a profit off it.

Unless it's Trails in the Sky, in which case they turn to some goons for help. :v:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

My point was more-so the fact that they expected too much from Yakuza's niche fanbase. Choosing better release windows and even going digital would probably be the best way to distribute the series to the west.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 1, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
As much as I'd like to play Revengeance 2, or even Bayonetta 2, I want Platinum to step out of their comfort zone like they did with Vanquish and make Platinum quality games in other genres. Could you imagine a Platinum vehicular combat game like Twisted Metal?

If they do just make another brawler, I want them to reuse the scaling difficulty from Godhand. That poo poo was what kept the game interesting.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

As much as I'd like to play Revengeance 2, or even Bayonetta 2, I want Platinum to step out of their comfort zone like they did with Vanquish and make Platinum quality games in other genres. Could you imagine a Platinum vehicular combat game like Twisted Metal?

If they do just make another brawler, I want them to reuse the scaling difficulty from Godhand. That poo poo was what kept the game interesting.

Ever hear of Infinite Space?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Infinite space isn't really platinum though. I think Hes saying he wants the pummel-dueling god-killing platinum to make non action games. Infinite space doesn't have any of the over the top insanity of a typical platinum game, its just a JRPG in space.

And yes, I've been dreaming of Burnout: Revengeance and Metroid: Vanquish for quite a while

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Metroid would be a terrible game for Platinum. Metroid isn't about fast paced or complicated fighting.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

notZaar posted:

Metroid would be a terrible game for Platinum. Metroid isn't about fast paced or complicated fighting.

Neither is Metal Gear Solid.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

They would be perfect for F-Zero, since unfortunately Amusement Vision, the developer of GX and the Super Mokey Ball series, is no longer around.

Or gently caress it, give them Kirby. Super Star was the pinnacle of the series because they made it play so much like an action game, and no other game in the series has surpassed it yet. Return to Dreamland came drat close, although it removed more abilities than it added, including awesome ones like Jet, Suplex, and Yo-Yo.

notZaar posted:

It's been far too long since a proper Metroid game, Metroid Prime 3 in 2007, and even longer since the last 2D one, Zero Mission in 2004. A back to basics approach like A Link Between Worlds is what the series needs right now.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 1, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
From what I gathered from the gameplay, Platinum only helped polish the game. Seems like Nude Maker did most of the design, since you have very little control over the combat which isn't very Platinumy. It was like a space Ogre Battle game, which isn't exactly what I was hoping for.

Imagine if Anarchy Reigns was a Mario Party/Fusion Frenzy type game with more minigames besides Death Ball.

E: who cares if Metroid isn't fastpaced enough for a platinum game, at least they wouldn't have killed the franchise like Team Ninja did.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 1, 2014

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Silentman0 posted:

Neither is Metal Gear Solid.

I don't really see the parallel here. Metroid isn't a series with a convoluted amount of lore and secondary characters to draw upon like MGS.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

notZaar posted:

I don't really see the parallel here. Metroid isn't a series with a convoluted amount of lore and secondary characters to draw upon like MGS.

You said Metroid isn't a fast paced game about complicated fighting. Well neither is Metal Gear Solid but they still made a mechanically fun game that can fit in the series lore. They could do the same with Metroid. Hell this picture someone did up...

made me the hypest of anything ever. I'd love a Captain Falcon character action game even though it'd probably have nothing at all to do with F-Zero in general or racing or at least it wouldn't be the focus. I'd just love to see what they did with the character and what kinda game they'd cook up.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I love F-Zero as much as the next guy, but I'd be totally okay with the series becoming a Platinum developed beat-em-up.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Butt Ghost posted:

I love F-Zero as much as the next guy, but I'd be totally okay with the series becoming a Platinum developed beat-em-up.
When I think about a Platinum-developed F-Zero game, I imagine Carmageddon or Twisted Metal but at F-Zero speeds. F-Zero: Demolition Edition, where they drop all the competitors on a large asteroid/small moon/derelict space colony and back the hell away. Last racer alive (or in one contiguous piece) after five minutes wins!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Commissar Ken posted:

You said Metroid isn't a fast paced game about complicated fighting. Well neither is Metal Gear Solid but they still made a mechanically fun game that can fit in the series lore. They could do the same with Metroid. Hell this picture someone did up...

made me the hypest of anything ever. I'd love a Captain Falcon character action game even though it'd probably have nothing at all to do with F-Zero in general or racing or at least it wouldn't be the focus. I'd just love to see what they did with the character and what kinda game they'd cook up.

What I meant was that MGR works because MGS games always had a kickass cyborg ninja character and people wanted to play as him, so it's a logical spin off. Metroid has... those little animals that teach Samus to wall jump and shinespark. Not really ripe for spin off material.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Metroid has a kickass bounty hunter with power armor. That's not a huge stretch to action game, and at this point in the franchise's life it's not like the character has any sort of integrity for genre-crossing to damage.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

notZaar posted:

What I meant was that MGR works because MGS games always had a kickass cyborg ninja character and people wanted to play as him, so it's a logical spin off. Metroid has... those little animals that teach Samus to wall jump and shinespark. Not really ripe for spin off material.

It does have a bounty hunter in a suit of power armor and a gun that can shoot a variety of plasma shots and missiles attached to her arm though. You could probably make a pretty good character action game based on that. You know, sort of like Vanquish, which the guy that first suggested this recommended.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Point is you can probably make a character action game about anything as long as your concept is strong. Other M's problem wasn't Team Ninja it was the director on Nintendo's side being an rear end.

Platinum doesn't have this problem really. Everyone is smart enough to let them do what they want. The issue is their games selling poorly because of [reasons].

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

3/10...lost it.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

3/10...lost it.

A seal of quality for Platinum games.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Tupperwarez posted:

When I think about a Platinum-developed F-Zero game, I imagine Carmageddon or Twisted Metal but at F-Zero speeds. F-Zero: Demolition Edition, where they drop all the competitors on a large asteroid/small moon/derelict space colony and back the hell away. Last racer alive (or in one contiguous piece) after five minutes wins!

So basically a Redline video game with Nintendo characters.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Burnout: Revengeance

Can we back up and talk about how awesome this would be? Since Black Rock went under, is the Split/Second IP up for grabs?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
What Platinum really needs to do is make a Star Fox-style rail shooter and just get that out of their system so they stop making me play through that in like every game they make.

I'm still mad about them hiding the best boss in Bayonetta behind a like 10-minute Space Harrier tribute, why do you ask? :colbert:

Alright so is there any pre-loading for this game over Steam? That's one big file...

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I believe we will be able to preload sometime today.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Silentman0 posted:

It does have a bounty hunter in a suit of power armor and a gun that can shoot a variety of plasma shots and missiles attached to her arm though. You could probably make a pretty good character action game based on that. You know, sort of like Vanquish, which the guy that first suggested this recommended.

Except every game up to this point with that main character has shown it's real goddamn heavy, and she can't maneuver at all with it.

Although it's a universe with like, a million bounty hunters, just have it be some competitor to Samus who rolls around with 80 swords/guns, and is trying to topple the Federation or something.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Rookersh posted:

Except every game up to this point with that main character has shown it's real goddamn heavy, and she can't maneuver at all with it.

The hell? Space jump, screw attack, speed booster, spider ball? By the end of most games she's maneuvering around like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Metroid 3 and Metroid Prime felt very paced and slow and I really like that about them. Its all moot though since all Samus does nowadays is make cameos in her zoot suit.

• Locked thread