Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, it drives me a little crazy that the thing doesn't unlock until noon tomorrow, central time. Goddamit, the poo poo's on my computer and I don't think you're releasing a patch within the next 12 hours Platinum, just let me play! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, it drives me a little crazy that the thing doesn't unlock until noon tomorrow, central time. Goddamit, the poo poo's on my computer and I don't think you're releasing a patch within the next 12 hours Platinum, just let me play! :argh:

blame publishers for your pain

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Genocyber posted:

blame publishers for your pain

Nah, steam always unlocks poo poo at 10 AM PST.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

Nah, steam always unlocks poo poo at 10 AM PST.

nah, some stuff gets released earlier.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
Didn't they used to unlock by region?! I have to wait to the 10th to play!

BLOODY YANKS!

DataSage
Nov 10, 2005

Sorry for the interruption, but this is a revolution.
This game seriously hooked me in a dangerously fun sort of way. I already own it/played it on PS3, and the first time I went through it, I remember restarting just for the sake of wanting to replay that opening again. You can only imagine what I was like going through the rest of the game. :allears:

I'm going to pick up the PC version as well, just because this game deserves every bit of love possible. But an i7 on recommended specs? What exactly was changed graphically/effects wise that warranted such a high recommendation on the processor side of things?

Memecoleous
Aug 30, 2004

DataSage posted:

What exactly was changed graphically/effects wise that warranted such a high recommendation on the processor side of things?

Pretty sure the high recommended specs are for 60fps at 1080p with maxed settings, including the higher cut threshold. Assuming the port isn't garbage one can probably get a console-equivalent experience with lesser hardware.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DataSage posted:

This game seriously hooked me in a dangerously fun sort of way. I already own it/played it on PS3, and the first time I went through it, I remember restarting just for the sake of wanting to replay that opening again. You can only imagine what I was like going through the rest of the game. :allears:

I'm going to pick up the PC version as well, just because this game deserves every bit of love possible. But an i7 on recommended specs? What exactly was changed graphically/effects wise that warranted such a high recommendation on the processor side of things?
Bigger numbers are better.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You know that scene in the terrible resident evil movie where the swat team guy gets cut into cubes because of lasers? yeah an i7 allows you to do that if you want to be that detail oriented and spend hours just cutting up your enemies into shapes.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Your LP is awesome. That thread title is awesome. This game is awesome. I can't wait to pick this up on PC and finally play the DLC. Also, I'll hopefully get to use my PS4 controller like I did for a little while on the console version. Parrying on that thing feels so smooth.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DataSage posted:

As far as I can guess, this is a game that allows you to render enemies into tons of tiny, custom-sized-and-shaped physics objects. The PC port specifically boasts the option to boost the limit of concurrent physics objects, maybe even uncapping it entirely.

This is not a feature that makes computer processors happy.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So what you're saying is I can probably handle 1 or 2 objects before the framerate hits the single digits?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lance Streetman posted:

So what you're saying is I can probably handle 1 or 2 objects before the framerate hits the single digits?

Lance I didn't want to be the one to bring this up but you can't play computer games on a dented hubcap to begin with so the framerate is the least of your worries.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I hope the port is like DmC's one, where an i5 and a 570 could render it at 1080p with everything up at 350fps if you turned vsync off.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

I hope the port is like DmC's one, where an i5 and a 570 could render it at 1080p with everything up at 350fps if you turned vsync off.

They've said in at least one place that the recommended specs are for everything cranked to maximum so I get the feeling as long as you don't switch on the option to track when you reduce a guy to his component atoms any setup that's run any other PS3 game port ever should be fine.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I am really interesting to see what they did with the textures for the environment, they are pretty ho-hum on the console versions.

Or improve the geometry of the environments, which I always thought were really shabby (all the polygons went into characters), but that's too much to ask I am sure.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
With such an interesting and cool game there will be HD mods in the first month. Naked playboy women in the first week.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

krursk posted:

With such an interesting and cool game there will be HD mods in the first month. Naked playboy women in the first week.

And naked Jetstream Sam by the second? :gay:

Also,

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Samurai Sanders posted:

I am really interesting to see what they did with the textures for the environment, they are pretty ho-hum on the console versions.

Or improve the geometry of the environments, which I always thought were really shabby (all the polygons went into characters), but that's too much to ask I am sure.

I have no idea how Platinum develops their games, but it seems like I wouldn't expect much in the way of technical improvements. Perhaps there will be sliders for elements that don't require any work such as draw distance and such.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

And naked Jetstream Sam by the second? :gay:

Also,

Perfection.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

As far as I can guess, this is a game that allows you to render enemies into tons of tiny, custom-sized-and-shaped physics objects. The PC port specifically boasts the option to boost the limit of concurrent physics objects, maybe even uncapping it entirely.

This is not a feature that makes computer processors happy.

The uncapped thing is not part of the game as stock. JP Kellams said that high is double the console parts and time they're on screen, so 400 parts for 30 seconds.

With .ini editing or other things that smart people are good at, who knows?

It says 11 hours to go on my screen. I want it to be 11 seconds to go :(

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To think we live in a day and age where I can't just play Revengeance the second its release date comes around.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sex_Ferguson posted:

To think we live in a day and age where I can't just play Revengeance the second its release date comes around.
Maybe if we switch over to some completely different method of telling time where the time is the same all around the world?

edit: also you could be in Japan and probably not be getting it at all even though it was made in your country and one of the language options is your language.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sex_Ferguson posted:

And people said the future would be a great place to live :smith:

In all serious, I think I might be able to wait 11 hours somehow.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe if we switch over to some completely different method of telling time where the time is the same all around the world?

Bring on the Swatch Internet Time

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got the game cause why not, but I am a bit worried; I have a i7 920, which is a older processor, sure, but system requirements lab says that doesn't even fulfill the minimum.

In fact this is the first game in a while that my PC may be unable to handle :smith: Am I screwed?

EDIT: Oh screw it. I really do not want to be on the wrong side of the requirements wall if the port turns out to be lousy. I will just put in a ticket for a refund and hope for the best.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 9, 2014

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I got the game cause why not, but I am a bit worried; I have a i7 920, which is a older processor, sure, but system requirements lab says that doesn't even fulfill the minimum.

In fact this is the first game in a while that my PC may be unable to handle :smith: Am I screwed?

EDIT: Oh screw it. I really do not want to be on the wrong side of the requirements wall if the port turns out to be lousy. I will just put in a ticket for a refund and hope for the best.
I guess it's too late now, but as long as you don't have some 4+ year old budget graphics card you'd be able to run Revengeance without a problem, just not at max quality.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Xenogenesis posted:

I guess it's too late now, but as long as you don't have some 4+ year old budget graphics card you'd be able to run Revengeance without a problem, just not at max quality.

I have a GTX 560 Ti, which has given me a lot of mileage.

Matter of fact, everything else meets the recommended specs, but the CPU is the bottleneck. I am just not sure how much of a bottleneck it will be.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 9, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You should be fine. Zangeki will be the bottleneck feature but just turn it to medium if max is unplayable. Unless the port is terribly optimised in everyway, I think you should be able to at least match medium cutting, which is the same as consoles.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, I went ahead and pulled the trigger this morning because I remembered that even if I have an older computer, its still newer than the hardware inside a PS3.

I enjoy how the name is in all-caps in my Steam list. :allears:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

1stGear posted:

Yeah, I went ahead and pulled the trigger this morning because I remembered that even if I have an older computer, its still newer than the hardware inside a PS3.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to run better, it all comes down to the optimization of the port.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hace posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to run better, it all comes down to the optimization of the port.

Seriously, when we'll people act like comparing PCs and consoles on pure hardware specs is dumb as hell? I mean, does anyone seriously think that a Windows PC with the PS3's specs could run The Last of Us?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Hace posted:

Not to mention that the PC version is (hopefully) not going to render the game at 540p and upscale it from there.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Don't ruin this for me goons. :negative:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

1stGear posted:

Don't ruin this for me goons. :negative:

Platinum were humiliated by Bayonetta PS3. We know that they're perfectionists who want to do as well as they possibly can with any given project and they did this port themselves. I would hold out in hope that this port, even if it's not port of the year all years, is passable.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I've never played a character action game before and thinking about playing this on normal for my first run. Is this a terrible idea that will ruin the game for me? I plan on playing the game multiple times like you are supposed to. You are supposed to right?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

I've never played a character action game before and thinking about playing this on normal for my first run. Is this a terrible idea that will ruin the game for me? I plan on playing the game multiple times like you are supposed to. You are supposed to right?

Normal is too easy for anyone who has played these games before, I would think Normal is perfect for someone who hasn't but doesn't want a push over of a game. If you enjoy games being a real challenge, play Hard for your first run, but go down to Normal if it's too much for you. Hard should be Normal for this game and Normal should be Easy.

The game is perfect for replaying, and VH/Revengeance difficulties are built around that idea.

e: VVV Even if it's a Dark Souls tier port, on the proviso it gets fixed, it will still be the definitive version. It comes with all DLC free of charge, will look better and has the PS3 version uncompressed FMV video. The only way it won't be is if it's an unplayable mess. Dark Souls PC is still better than any console version unpatched, after all.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 9, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aurain posted:

Platinum were humiliated by Bayonetta PS3. We know that they're perfectionists who want to do as well as they possibly can with any given project and they did this port themselves. I would hold out in hope that this port, even if it's not port of the year all years, is passable.

Hopefully this is gonna be like DMC4's PC port where the PC version ends up being the definitive version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

1080p 60 fps and not on fire would probably qualify for definitive version. Please don't be on fire.

• Locked thread