Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holligan
Dec 22, 2013
I know that some people are tired of hearing about Kevin Smith and his retirement after Clerks 3. My Question is who is interested in his new movie Tusk?
edit:Since the image next to my name says so I am a noob and gave very little detail to go on. According to twitter and other social media and most especially Kevin Smith's numerous pod casts, Kevin Smith has completed filming and is in post development of his new movie Tusk. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3099498/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
According to IMDB, the movie synopsis is about a co-host of one of his pod casts goes missing and a friend goes to find him. This is horribly different from what Mr. Smith has described but you know things change.
One of the things that I found interesting about this movie is the fact that Kevin Smith has not sounded this excited about writing since he completed Red State. In most of his interviews he has been complaining about not being able to be the kind of writer and director that his audiences want him to be and he has mentioned more than a few times that he wants to retire and has mentioned that he would do that after he was done writing and shooting Clerks 3. The funny thing was that he got distracted by Tusk while writing the script for Clerks 3. So upon the eve of Kevin Smith's finality of work, His so to be said second to last film Tusk is looking to be absolutely hilariously funny. Which brings me back to the discussion of what do you guys think of this movie? Are you interested in the weird poo poo that Kevin Smith comes up with and are you curious how many dick jokes he can contain himself to when working with walruses?

Holligan fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's going to be a Clerks 3? Oh dear god, why?! :negative:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I for one can't wait for it to get panned so that we can watch him stroke out with rage.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Holligan posted:

I know that some people are tired of hearing about Kevin Smith and his retirement after Clerks 3. My Question is who is interested in his new movie Tusk?

No one, apparently, since you can't be bothered to make a decent OP about it, give us any information on it, include links or pictures, or or really do anything but a two-sentence low-effort post, the kind which is expressly forbidden in the rules.

(HINT. HINT.)

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Vargo posted:

No one, apparently, since you can't be bothered to make a decent OP about it, give us any information on it, include links or pictures, or or really do anything but a two-sentence low-effort post, the kind which is expressly forbidden in the rules.

(HINT. HINT.)

To be fair Kevin Smith movies hardly warrant effortposts about them.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Literally The Worst posted:

I for one can't wait for it to get panned so that we can watch him stroke out with rage.

All his movies get panned, but to his credit he never seems to get upset. He even went and joined the anti-dogma protests.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Rosscifer posted:

All his movies get panned, but to his credit he never seems to get upset. He even went and joined the anti-dogma protests.

Bullshit. The instant critics stopped liking his movies, which was right after Dogma, he started in on the "Critics don't get it, they never created anything, who are they to judge?" arguments and hasn't let up since.

Devout Christian posted:

To be fair Kevin Smith movies hardly warrant effortposts about them.

A Kevin Smith discussion thread could be good, as he's talked about enough. This thread could be it, but as is, it's not.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rosscifer posted:

This isn't true at all. Well, the Dogma protest thing is, but that's completely different from his movies getting panned. He cracked at some point and instead of rolling with the punches like he did with Mallrats he turned into an insane person.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
What happened to that stupid two part hockey movie he was working on?

LesterGroans posted:

This isn't true at all. Well, the Dogma protest thing is, but that's completely different from his movies getting panned. He cracked at some point and instead of rolling with the punches like he did with Mallrats he turned into an insane person.

His brain broke when Zack and Miri didn't do Apatow numbers.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Vargo posted:

Bullshit. The instant critics stopped liking his movies, which was right after Dogma, he started in on the "Critics don't get it, they never created anything, who are they to judge?"

Ya that's clearly what upset fuming mad people sound like.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Rosscifer posted:

Here, have four links I pulled randomly just by googling "Kevin Smith critics" for five seconds:

http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog/kevin-smith-rants-and-raves-about-creators-and-critics-at-comic-con

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1634755/kevin-smiths-online-rant-gets-heated-response-from-film-critics.jhtml

http://www.heavy.com/movies/movie-news/2010/03/kevin-smiths-angry-anti-critic-twitter-rant/

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2011/sep/24/kevin-smith-red-state

Kevin Smith is FAMOUS for hating critics, he even had an entire show on Hulu for a while dedicated to it.

quote:

Watching them beat the s--- out of it was sad. Like, it's called #CopOut ; that sound like a very ambitious title to you? You REALLY wanna s--- in the mouth of a flick that so OBVIOUSLY strived for nothing more than laughs. Was it called "Schindler's Cop Out"? Writing a nasty review for #CopOut is akin to bullying a retarded kid who was getting a couple chuckles from the normies by singing AFTERNOON DELIGHT.

quote:

Realized [the] whole system's upside down: so we let a bunch of people see [a movie] for free and they sh-- all over it?" he tweeted. "From now on, any flick I'm ever involved with, I conduct screenings thusly: you wanna see it early to review it? Fine: pay like you would if you saw it next week. Like, why am I giving an arbitrary 500 people power over what I do at all, let alone for free. Why's their opinion more valid? It's a backwards system. People are free to talk sh-- about any of my flicks, so long as they paid to see it."

quote:

I gotta say that every day I hate film theory & film students & critics more & more. Where is the fun in movies?" Sir sometimes, it's important to turn off the chatter. Film fandom's become a nasty bloodsport where cartoonishly rooting for failure gets the hit count up on the ol' brand-new blog. And if a schmuck like me pays you some attention, score! MORE EYES, MEANS MORE ADVERT $. But when you pull your eye away from the microscope, you can see that s--- you're studying so closely is, in reality, tiny as f---.

I'm more more forgiving of Kevin Smith's work than most people around here. I'm one of the few people who approve of Chasing Amy being in the Criterions. I think he's got really progressive views on things like sexuality. But when he starts in on the critic stuff, he becomes a loving child.

Vargo fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 29, 2013

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Rosscifer posted:

This post needs to be framed.

Vargo posted:

A Kevin Smith discussion thread could be good, as he's talked about enough. This thread could be it, but as is, it's not.

Kevin Smith is just an insufferable douche who is the epitome of everything that is wrong with stoners & filmmakers. He sucks, his movies suck, his style of humor is still stuck in in the 90's, and also he says he's proud of being an overweight fat gently caress. Somehow he still has a following.

This loving slob actually had the audacity to complain about others peoples work ethic too.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Haha, that "hey they movie's called Cop Out; stop being mean to retards" quote is a classic. It doesn't even communicate that he wanted the reviews to be good, but rather that none existed.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
One of the problem's with Kevin Smith is he talk's to much, between all his podcast's, twitter and the various other outlet's he contribute's to he just put's to much out there.
Some stuff he should probably just keep to himself.

It's a shame because aside from Cop Out (which I haven't seen) I think all his movies have been enjoyable.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I almost feel sorry for him. He's so thin skinned and it seems like he's so compelled to read what people write about him on the internet.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Kevin Smith is a boring and complacent director. Chasing Amy still holds up while Clerks' dialogue gets more unbearably amateur the older you get, but both of those movies had a great deal of promise. But he never became a better writer and he never became a better filmmaker. Look at someone like Richard Linklater who started off with similar gen X naval gazing films and did his share of lame mercenary pics. Still, even his worst movie, Fast Food Nation, is still an interesting movie. And it seems unfair now to compare someone who directed what was probably 2013's best picture to Smith, but I think Smith could have become a better director if he tried new things and was a bit more critical of himself. I think that's the great tragedy. There is still this kernel of great talent in Smith that has died off to his laziness.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 9, 2014

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Rosscifer posted:

As well as what Vargo posted, as someone who used to listen to his podcast, trust me, he was pretty bothered. The reaction to Cop Out especially, that's when he spent the entire time on the podcast high. Great fun if you want to listen to him inhale deeply and cough for an hour.

But enough about his terrible past. Let's discuss his terrible future, and the fact that Tusk is being made because his Twitter followers really wanted him to do it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Being raised Catholic means being told, in no uncertain terms, that you are fundamentally bad and wrong and that you should feel terrible about it.

Suffice to say, a lot of people raised in the church don't take criticism too well.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back has a sequence where Jay and Silent Bob travel around the country beating up people who criticized them on the internet. This is what Kevin Smith wishes he could do.

Wasn't that Yoshifan who asked the question at ComicCon?

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 29, 2013

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TrixRabbi posted:

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back has a sequence where Jay and Silent Bob travel around the country beating up people who criticized them on the internet. This is what Kevin Smith wishes he could do.

Wasn't that Yoshifan who asked the question at ComicCon?

Yep. My claim to internet fame is making Kevin Smith look kinda like a big baby on the internet.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's kind of weird to assume when you're 41 in 2012 to assume that you literally have less years ahead of you then you do behind. I mean breaking even at 82 isn't a strange thing now, Kevin. As much as I dislike the guy, he really should take care of himself.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 30, 2013

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Vargo posted:

Here, have four links I pulled randomly just by googling "Kevin Smith critics" for five seconds:

http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog/kevin-smith-rants-and-raves-about-creators-and-critics-at-comic-con

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1634755/kevin-smiths-online-rant-gets-heated-response-from-film-critics.jhtml

http://www.heavy.com/movies/movie-news/2010/03/kevin-smiths-angry-anti-critic-twitter-rant/

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2011/sep/24/kevin-smith-red-state

Kevin Smith is FAMOUS for hating critics, he even had an entire show on Hulu for a while dedicated to it.

I'm more more forgiving of Kevin Smith's work than most people around here. I'm one of the few people who approve of Chasing Amy being in the Criterions. I think he's got really progressive views on things like sexuality. But when he starts in on the critic stuff, he becomes a loving child.

He has about a thousand hours of him talking online. If him standing on a stage at comic-con smiling and giggling, a "twitter-war", or telling a loud guy to shut up is the angriest he ever gets he must be the chillest director around.

edit: This is what an angry person sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuJCGGTPY5w

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 29, 2013

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dude, seriously, you argued that no, he doesn't flip out over criticism, people proved you wrong, and then you're arguing that that's not what a real angry Scotsman sounds like. Kevin Smith is a whiny rear end in a top hat who trots out the "make a movie before you criticize" poo poo at the drop of a hat and he sucks to boot.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yep. My claim to internet fame is making Kevin Smith look kinda like a big baby on the internet.

Im not going through all of those other links but he sure doesnt sound like hes mad or a baby in that one

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

zVxTeflon posted:

Im not going through all of those other links but he sure doesnt sound like hes mad or a baby in that one

quote:

We live in the age of democratized media where anybody could do it. Like, in 1994 when I did it…weren’t a lot of people doing it so I get to stand out, like, “Hey, I’m one fuckin’ person that tried to make an indie film,” one of a thousand that year. Now, everybody can do it. Everybody in this room could shoot a loving interesting film—way more interesting than Clerks and better looking—on their iPhone, cut it and upload it to YouTube. And probably have it seen by more people than ever saw Clerks in a fuckin’ movie theater. In that world, where that’s at your fingertips, where you could be a god, you can create characters and life and shape poo poo; put it out there for the world where people are moved by it, where it does something for them. Where something you’ve created, some story you’ve told has become their favorite movie, maybe that thing that saved them from fuckin’ killing themselves. When you have that ability, why the gently caress would you want to sit around and write about someone else’s poo poo?

It's literally a long-winded version of "they're just doing it because they can't make movies themselves" aka the laziest rebuttal known to man, and one that Ebert loved because he actually had made a movie.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Literally The Worst posted:

It's literally a long-winded version of "they're just doing it because they can't make movies themselves" aka the laziest rebuttal known to man, and one that Ebert loved because he actually had made a movie.

Wow. Trying to guilt-trip critics into not being mean because he's just so disappointed with them because they have all this potential and they are just wasting it. He sounds like every Catholic mother who ever lived.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Eh, guys the big Catholic explanation for him is kinda silly and a little offensive. Ebert was raised Catholic and it's not really a stereotype that holds that true.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timeless Appeal posted:

Eh, guys the big Catholic explanation for him is kinda silly and a little offensive. Ebert was raised Catholic and it's not really a stereotype that holds that true.
If you don't think growing up fat and being raised Catholic contributes to this kind of self-worth problem, I don't know what to tell you.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

If you don't think growing up fat and being raised Catholic contributes to this kind of self-worth problem, I don't know what to tell you.
I'm saying I grew up fat and Catholic and a so do a lot of people without suffering from those issues in any meaningful way. The sum of a religion doesn't equal its parts, and you guys are playing armchair psychologist with a pretty one dimensional view of a lot of people.

I think it's more an issue of basically being a kid when he broke out and having both a tight circle of people who are probably really fun to make movies with and a big cult following which insulated him from a lot of the growth filmmakers usually go through.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 9, 2014

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Rosscifer posted:

He has about a thousand hours of him talking online. If him standing on a stage at comic-con smiling and giggling, a "twitter-war", or telling a loud guy to shut up is the angriest he ever gets he must be the chillest director around.

edit: This is what an angry person sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuJCGGTPY5w

What is this lovely video you posted

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
This thread has taught me that I should be thankful my parents are Protestant lest I became Kevin Smith.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I grew up Catholic and I didn't turn into Kevin Smith so I'm counting my lucky stars too.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

TrixRabbi posted:

There was also a deleted scene in Chasing Amy where two strawmen parrot lines from negative reviews of Mallrats and he responds by destroying their store and writing them a check to pay for the damages because he's rich as gently caress from the thing they're criticizing. :rolleyes::fh:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I can't believe Smith wasn't in that dopey Heckler movie. The second half was tailored for him.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

There is some sort of disconnect between the goon perception of Kevin Smith (angry, rage filled, bitter) and the actual Kevin Smith that shows up in his podcasts (chill, giggly, self-deprecating, rarely angry much less enraged). He bitches about stuff in a fairly normal way, like most people do. He occasionally has some dumb opinions, but really that is par the course for anyone. The only real difference is that he's a celebrity, and it's rare to hear a celebrity actually talk about what's on their mind so openly.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 30, 2013

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DFu4ever posted:

There is some sort of disconnect between the goon perception of Kevin Smith (angry, rage filled, bitter) and the actual Kevin Smith that shows up in his podcasts (chill, giggly, self-deprecating, rarely angry much less enraged). He bitches about stuff in a fairly normal way, like most people do. He occasionally has some dumb opinions, but really that is par the course for anyone. The only real difference is that he's a celebrity, and it's rare to hear a celebrity actually talk about what's on their mind so openly.
I'm sure day to day he's a pretty chill dude day to day but it seems like whenever he gets out in front of a large audience (excluding his Evenings,) he has some absurd manchild blowup over people not liking his stuff. Even if he's pretty normal day to day the goon perception isn't wrong, it's something Smith has bubbling in the back of his mind frequently.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

mango sentinel posted:

I'm sure day to day he's a pretty chill dude day to day but it seems like whenever he gets out in front of a large audience (excluding his Evenings,) he has some absurd manchild blowup over people not liking his stuff. Even if he's pretty normal day to day the goon perception isn't wrong, it's something Smith has bubbling in the back of his mind frequently.

I can forgive him for being a little upset that the "art" he poured his heart and soul into is being torn apart by people who have no idea what went into making it, and even worse have no idea what was going through his mind when he made it. I guess the first time I understood Kevin Smith was when one of my illustrations at an art gallery got picked apart by someone who wasn't even an artist who had entirely misinterpreted the pieces message and purpose. I admit I didn't say anything to them (because I lack a spine), but inside I was pretty upset that they dared to call my work poo poo when they had so completely missed the point.

Kevin Smith makes decent, often funny, movies. I've enjoyed a higher percentage of his total portfolio than that of many more popular directors and writers. Even Cop Out was kind of fun if you don't take it too seriously. Kevin Smith has my respect, though I'd ask him kindly to stop eating so much so I can enjoy his work for a few decades longer.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Esroc posted:

I can forgive him for being a little upset that the "art" he poured his heart and soul into is being torn apart by people who have no idea what went into making it, and even worse have no idea what was going through his mind when he made it. I guess the first time I understood Kevin Smith was when one of my illustrations at an art gallery got picked apart by someone who wasn't even an artist who had entirely misinterpreted the pieces message and purpose. I admit I didn't say anything to them (because I lack a spine), but inside I was pretty upset that they dared to call my work poo poo when they had so completely missed the point.

Kevin Smith makes decent, often funny, movies. I've enjoyed a higher percentage of his total portfolio than that of many more popular directors and writers. Even Cop Out was kind of fun if you don't take it too seriously. Kevin Smith has my respect, though I'd ask him kindly to stop eating so much so I can enjoy his work for a few decades longer.

The problem is he trotted out this argument in the wake of 'Cop Out', a film he solely did for the cash - and made a hash of it because he literally doesn't understand how film making works.

He does get some kudos from me though for something that happened the last few days. A woman blogger made an offhanded joke about 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' being taken off Netflix streaming and he left a comment on the blog (A fairly innocuous "Thanks for the publicity!" comment) and had tweeted her. Well of course his fans bombard her and start calling her a oval office etc and he put up a post telling them that despite what they think, hating women isn't cool in any way shape or form. Sure he shouldn't have to be telling people that, but the fact that he did is something.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

DFu4ever posted:

There's no disconnect. At one point, Kevin Smith was infamous for printing out and laminating stacks of online articles about himself, as well as searching for mentions of himself on forums and then replying to them. He held grudges against critics so deeply that they were banned from screenings years later. He has major insecurity issues, and his self-deprecation is an ineffective defense mechanism, because he whines incessantly about the slightest criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Esroc posted:

He's a man who openly admits and seems to take pride in the fact that he doesn't know dick about film making beyond what he's accidentally picked up. Like, how is it the audience's fault that we don't understand what went through his mind when he made something? If he wanted that conveyed then he must have done a poor job conveying it.

I get wanting polite discourse about things and how the "Worst Ever" hyperbole is annoying-as-gently caress, but he doesn't want that. He wants people to stop saying his work is bad, only he can say that.

I liked Clerks back when I saw it. I like Dogma, Chasing Amy and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back are okay. That's a big chunk of his work, so I'm not hating on him for no reason, he just legitimately has some hosed up views. Like, if he's only making art that can be properly appreciated/criticized by other artists then he's pretty much just masturbating into his own face at this point.

• Locked thread