Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

bartok posted:

Does Scott Mosier still have anything to do with Smodcast or Kevin Smith? When I use to listen it seemed like he was slowly trying to distance himself from Smith but that was several years ago.

People say this, but it's freakin BS. Mosier has been just as heavily involved with the podcast as ever, the only thing is that Scott hasn't produced Smith's last movies, he's made it clear he's wanted to do his own stuff (which is apparently that stupid turkey movie that came out last month).

I'm a much bigger fan of Smith than most people here, but mostly for his Q&A and podcasts, the only movies of his that I've really liked are Clerks and Mallrats, but a lot of the misinformation and bashing is sort of pathetic. He does take things way too personally sometimes (his rant about getting thrown off the plane was embarrassing to listen to), but he's pretty entertaining, and he truly cares for his fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Toady posted:

What misinformation?

Let's see

"Does Scott Mosier still have anything to do with Smodcast or Kevin Smith? When I use to listen it seemed like he was slowly trying to distance himself from Smith but that was several years ago."

I've listed to most of their podcasts, and this has never even been implied, and just by the nature that they are still doing it to this day shows this is misinformation.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Hbomberguy posted:

My best fiend (Mein liebster Feind). Their relationship was always antagonistic, because Kinski was literally a crazy person who cast himself as Jesus in a play and yelled at the crowd.

While Polanski is a monster, his films are distanced from him - you can watch and enjoy them even if it turns out someone 'evil' made them. If Kevin Smith turned out to be a child-rapist (I am not saying he is, this is just sheer postulation and I mean no disrespect making this analogy) all of his body of work would become unwatchable because Silent Bob would be in the background or talking or all the characters would sound like Kevin Smith - and all his closest friends and supporters would be right there with him, enabling him on and offscreen. The entire view askewniverse would be off-limits, along with ten thousand hours of podcast material.

Oddly a reading that he's a rapist or whatever (again, no disrespect) 'makes sense' in context with all the sexual stuff in his films. 90% of clerks and chasing amy and some of clerks 2 (donkey show) is about getting over sexual hangups. That's one heck of a way to open a discussion about pedophillia.

We get it, you don't like Kevin Smith.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

bobservo posted:

His wife is directing a segment. I like how he uses her full name in the announcement as if we're not going to make the connection.

I hate to appear to be the Smith apologist in this thread, because I really DON'T like most of his films, but he often calls his wife "Schwalbach" instead of referring to her by her first name. I don't think he's trying to make this thing a secret.

That said this sounds like it will be horrendous, but I'm just shocked by this sudden surge of stuff he's trying to get made.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

See: Spike Lee's hissy fit over Flags of our Fathers.

How about Spike Lee posting on Twitter "George Zimmerman's" address.

Interesting that Spike Lee has been brought up since Spike Lee was a major influence on Kevin Smith when he made Clerks.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

bartok posted:

There was that hockey movie, Hit Somebody, that was suppose to be his final movie. Goon, which was a great movie, beat him to the punch so he said the project was going to be a miniseries and that is the last he has said about it. That was years ago.

I think this is more of a case that he couldn't find a network to actually want to pick up the show. He made some comment not long ago stating that most networks are not interested in a mini-series because they want the "second season bump" in sales which isn't possible with a one time thing. Not sure how true that is given the growth in new "event series" coming out these days.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

PassTheRemote posted:

I still do not know why the style for Clerks TAS was not used.

The thing is that Clerks TAS was made by professional animators doing a professional job. This thing is made by (I believe) one guy who has been making cartoons based off of Smodcast for years. His animation style is horrible, I can't even stand to watch any of it.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Nipplebox posted:

Just make sure to do his podcast or he'll kick you off a TV pilot.

What's the story behind this?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

This would be good and all, aside from the fact that the name "Guy Lapointe" started as a joke in a Smodcast episode where they were joking about people stealing maple syrup. The name means nothing, it's an inside joke.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Crossposting from Games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH2J6bHw9pg

(something that has never been said in cinema discusso)

Took me a minute to figure this was a Smodcast car. Did Kevin Smith make it or something?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I listened to his podcast for longer than I should have, but honestly it was all the "Canada is amazing, and so much better than America" stuff that I just got sick of hearing about. Also everything turns into a joke about Hitler, Helen Keller, or sharks. It's the same stuff over and over again.

Edit: I have nothing against Canada, but it's just hearing it every single episode that got so old.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I'm sure Smith haters will enjoy this:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-Star-Wars-Totally-Screwed-Kevin-Smith-Comic-Con-72519.html

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Are there really people who hate Kevin Smith so much they're following the ins and outs of his life TMZ style? I just dislike his bad movies.

Maybe you missed the person posting pictures of Smith's daughter in the Bart Simpson dress earlier in the thread.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I've heard Smith talking about Mallrats 2, and he's clearly of the same thought that malls are dead. He's made more than one joke about his daughter having no clue what a mall is. I fully expect that Mallrats 2 will have that as a major basis.

Also I WISH malls around here were less busy, every time I've been to my local mall (which is fairly large) it's a mob scene. Malls are alive and well on Long Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

The Senator Giroux posted:

It's also the one where Batman's girlfriend finds all his writing, and tells him he's a REALLY GOOD writer and that he should quit being Batman and be a writer because he's REALLY GOOD AT WRITING and even if he thinks it's just stuff that happens to him, it's REALLY GOOD and Bruce might as well be wearing a hockey jersey.

Is Batman a Mary Sue, or is Kevin Smith?

• Locked thread