Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Mans posted:

Push tends to force pubbies into grabbing some grenades after their first 2 waves are wiped without killing a single defender.

I have seen so many pubbie pushes fail due to a lack of grenades and the awareness that you actually have to clear a cap in order to take it. Usually it goes: throw smoke nades into cap > run in and go prone > get blow up by IED/C4/frags because they're just sitting blind in the smoke.

One of the fundamental tactics that new players need to learn is that smoke is for blinding the enemy, not concealing yourself. Suppress and smoke enemy firing positions, frag them out, clear up the remaining enemy, reap victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LogisticEarth posted:

I have seen so many pubbie pushes fail due to a lack of grenades and the awareness that you actually have to clear a cap in order to take it. Usually it goes: throw smoke nades into cap > run in and go prone > get blow up by IED/C4/frags because they're just sitting blind in the smoke.

One of the fundamental tactics that new players need to learn is that smoke is for blinding the enemy, not concealing yourself. Suppress and smoke enemy firing positions, frag them out, clear up the remaining enemy, reap victory.

Honestly the attacker has no real advantage in several of the push maps and I think push is a flawed game mode.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Honestly the attacker has no real advantage in several of the push maps and I think push is a flawed game mode.

It is. It continually funnels attackers into one of two chokepoints and if the defending team has more than a few dudes worth a drat there's no real chance.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

fennesz posted:

It is. It continually funnels attackers into one of two chokepoints and if the defending team has more than a few dudes worth a drat there's no real chance.

This is only true of a few maps in a few places. For example, everyone bitches about Sinjar Alpha being totally one sided for the Insurgents. However, there's a good 5-6 different paths to the cap zone, and the ridge is fairly hard to hold for the Insurgents if Security snipers and scouts know what they're doing.

Push it the only mode I play, and I see attacker wins and losses, both close and blowouts, all the time. Attackers usually have a hard time because of one or more of the following:
-Ineffective use of explosives/rockets
-Ineffective (or counterproductive) use of smoke
-Lack of suppression fire from MGs.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LogisticEarth posted:

This is only true of a few maps in a few places. For example, everyone bitches about Sinjar Alpha being totally one sided for the Insurgents. However, there's a good 5-6 different paths to the cap zone, and the ridge is fairly hard to hold for the Insurgents if Security snipers and scouts know what they're doing.

Push it the only mode I play, and I see attacker wins and losses, both close and blowouts, all the time. Attackers usually have a hard time because of one or more of the following:
-Ineffective use of explosives/rockets
-Ineffective (or counterproductive) use of smoke
-Lack of suppression fire from MGs.

MGs can't suppress poo poo in this game because you always get sniped from someone in the other window with their laser gun(all the guns in ins are laser guns in single).

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Panzeh posted:

MGs can't suppress poo poo in this game because you always get sniped from someone in the other window with their laser gun(all the guns in ins are laser guns in single).

If you're sitting in one spot for an extended period, then yes. If you're moving around every so often, and just keep firing at suspected positions, then that won't happen as often. The goal is to keep throwing lead at advantageous positions so the defenders can't get too comfortable there. You don't have to kill them, or even suppress any specific enemy (although that's also great). Basically, you should have been firing at that sniper window before the guy got in there.

Just don't act like a tank or some kind of fortified turret. You're using an LMG and need to stick with your squad, moving often. Pick firing positions where you're field of view is relatively focused and the number of positions you can be shot from is minimized.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Half of people itg will spend all their points on a scope and shoot you from beyond render distance as you exit spawn. Assaulting is properly terrible in this game and the correct choice is always optics because everything can be watched from a long angle.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Antares posted:

Half of people itg will spend all their points on a scope and shoot you from beyond render distance as you exit spawn.

Unless you have some bizzaro settings all enemies are rendered if they're in your FOV. You can pick out people at 200+ meters without fancy optics in the game, which is about as far a distance as you'll find barring a few rare places.

quote:

Assaulting is properly terrible in this game and the correct choice is always optics because everything can be watched from a long angle.

Hmm yes too bad there aren't any tools to conceal your advance or deliver high explosives at long ranges into enemy sniping positions.

Also the only map I can think of where there is nothing but wide open approaches is Peak. Even Panj has plenty of low walls, gullies, and cover to help you move up.

It's not Firefight where you need to take it slow. You have respawns and have to be aggressive, but smart. Play your class properly. Unless you're marksman or scout or something, you should be pushing up and blowing the poo poo out of everything in front of you.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The sniper argument is really not applicable to this game since there's very few areas where long range fighting occurs.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mans posted:

The sniper argument is really not applicable to this game since there's very few areas where long range fighting occurs.

Yeah I've never found sniping to be problematic, it's more of the forced bottlenecks some maps occasionally force you down. And even then it really only applies to Push.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

LogisticEarth posted:

If you're sitting in one spot for an extended period, then yes. If you're moving around every so often, and just keep firing at suspected positions, then that won't happen as often. The goal is to keep throwing lead at advantageous positions so the defenders can't get too comfortable there. You don't have to kill them, or even suppress any specific enemy (although that's also great). Basically, you should have been firing at that sniper window before the guy got in there.

Just don't act like a tank or some kind of fortified turret. You're using an LMG and need to stick with your squad, moving often. Pick firing positions where you're field of view is relatively focused and the number of positions you can be shot from is minimized.

Yeah as someone who used to do this for a living I always find LMGs underutilized by most and tear up shop with them most of the time. Most people seem to want to just run to the biggest vantage point thinking they can lock everything down, but the key is setting up where you can lock down a key avenue of approach without snipers being able to take shots at you from outside your field of fire.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 8, 2015

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Jarmak posted:

Yeah as someone who used to do this for a living I always find LMGs underutilized by most and tear up shop with them most of the time. Most people seem to want to just run to the biggest vantage point thinking they can lock everything down, but they key is setting up where you can lock down a key avenue of approach without snipers being able to take shots at you from outside your field of fire.

I've also noticed that I'm seeing some success (at least it feels like it) with sometimes firing off some shots even when I don't see anyone from the opposing team. This applies doubly if I'm packing AP rounds. It seems to make everyone more cautious about moving up if I'm defending on my own, and that in turn seems to slow things down long enough for backup to arrive.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't think many people know how to deploy the tripod which turns the LMG's into laser guns

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most people doesn't know what sight to use that is appropriate for the gun and/or engagement ranges. I have seen shameful people who take demolition and not take a nade launcher or a rocket. Bolt actions in indoor maps with Mark 4. Not using a bipod is barely an issue compared to people who use one on an M16 and still can't shoot straight. Auto bipod is also terrible.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oohhboy posted:

Most people doesn't know what sight to use that is appropriate for the gun and/or engagement ranges. I have seen shameful people who take demolition and not take a nade launcher or a rocket. Bolt actions in indoor maps with Mark 4. Not using a bipod is barely an issue compared to people who use one on an M16 and still can't shoot straight. Auto bipod is also terrible.

I feel that people do that more on the Security side.

From personal experience i feel that most insurgent weaponry can be used with just their ironsights while i can't hit a barn with the very clunky ironsights of the M16 and the M4.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Mans posted:

i don't think many people know how to deploy the tripod which turns the LMG's into laser guns

I've been playing this game since the day after it came out on EA, and had no idea there were tripods. Are they just sitting around the map in certain locations, or?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dvsilverwing posted:

I've been playing this game since the day after it came out on EA, and had no idea there were tripods. Are they just sitting around the map in certain locations, or?

He made a minor mistake, he should have said Bipods. You would only use a Tripod with crew served weapon of which the game doesn't have. Think .50 Cal and Mark 19 Auto GL.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

oohhboy posted:

He made a minor mistake, he should have said Bipods. You would only use a Tripod with crew served weapon of which the game doesn't have. Think .50 Cal and Mark 19 Auto GL.

Oh, alright, I thought it was a little weird that they'd be in the game and I didn't know about them somehow. Also as far as I know a tripod is issued to any M240b gunner, is it not?

Speaking of which, I want an M240b and PKM in the game. Also, an SVD and remove the FAL from Ins Marksman/Sniper. I know I always speak highly of it, but the FAL with bipod, 7x, and AP rounds is absolutely unstoppable on maps where you're defending. Such as on the first point of Buhriz on top of the furthest building on the right and on Sinjar sitting on the bridge behind the sandbags, you can rack up 20+ kills in a round on just that point easily.

The bipod doesn't help the RPK very much in my opinion, it still has heavy-ish recoil. I never liked the fact that it has the exact same recoil stats as the AKM despite being larger and heavier, but balance I guess. In the mod the RPK was amazing.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 28, 2015

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Mans posted:

Doesn't it do it automatically?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dvsilverwing posted:

Oh, alright, I thought it was a little weird that they'd be in the game and I didn't know about them somehow. Also as far as I know a tripod is issued to any M240b gunner, is it not?
There is no reason why you couldn't use a Tripod with it and it is the top end of usable man portable MGs so it would benefit from one more than say a M249. I can see them being used in outposts and the like where bringing .50s might be a logistical problem, not issued individually. As for the game, yeah have fun setting up the tripod after you crawled your way there for no benefit at the ranges you shoot the thing at. I would like to see someone try if they ever put it in the game.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

By default it does, but the smart money is on turning it off since it interrupts you when you least need it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oohhboy posted:

Yeah that's what i meant :shobon:

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

All of my friends removed the automatic deploy thing in a fit of rage when their LMG kept being deployed while they were being sprayed and then promptly forget to ever use them again.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Mans posted:

I feel that people do that more on the Security side.

From personal experience i feel that most insurgent weaponry can be used with just their ironsights while i can't hit a barn with the very clunky ironsights of the M16 and the M4.

I always go ironsight AK74 or 47, it's completely adequate and you can actually assault while 3/4 of your team are trying to snipe. Recoil is insanely easy to control, too, so even defending you can get some pretty good 4-5K spraydowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Hamlet442 posted:

I prefer these on co-op. There's no reason why I shouldn't have the choice to put whatever I want on the weapons I want. It's co-op. Now for MP, obviously you have to have play balance.

I wish co-op didn't have classes, to be honest. Mostly because I want the 590 and Dipshit McCornerdweller took the one demo class and is doing gently caress all with it.

Just let everyone have access to all the guns and gear, who cares if we're just shooting bots.

Dvsilverwing posted:

Speaking of which, I want an M240b and PKM

Holy gently caress yes please, especially the 240.

Or a Mk48. :getin:

• Locked thread