Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

LogisticEarth posted:

They really need to add and option to not spec pubbies when you're dead. Holy hell it's so frustrating. People sprinting through doorways where they just saw some dude get shot, guys shooting at false windows, dudes trying to play with a quickscope loadout in a game that it doesn't work with. Hopefully some of this dead wood will clear out in a couple weeks, ha.

On the bright side, had a few games with goons today. Good stuff as always. Any word on a permanent channel on Camping The Stairs?

There should be a permanent channel now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

They really need to add and option to not spec pubbies when you're dead. Holy hell it's so frustrating. People sprinting through doorways where they just saw some dude get shot, guys shooting at false windows, dudes trying to play with a quickscope loadout in a game that it doesn't work with. Hopefully some of this dead wood will clear out in a couple weeks, ha.

On the bright side, had a few games with goons today. Good stuff as always. Any word on a permanent channel on Camping The Stairs?

The worst offenders are dudes with an LMG lying prone with the bipod out and covering a single doorway from two meters away. Or guys ardently camping on a CP we don't actually control.

Anyways, I just had a game where I picked Support, thinking I might chill a bit by covering some avenues and suppressing dudes, but that quickly fell flat when literally nobody on my team tried to attack ever. In an attack/defend gamemode with us as the attackers, no less. They're all just sitting in corners and behind doorways, trying to wear down an enemy that has three times our respawns and no reason whatsoever to attack us. Since there were no other classes left open, I lugged all my gear to the front and used the revolutionary tactic of "throw smoke on and around point, walk there, shoot mans". Somehow I ended up with fourteen kills (the M249 is completely hilarious) and several captures this way, but we still lost in the end.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

DatonKallandor posted:

There should be a permanent channel now.

Great, updated the OP and steam group.

VVV Either too afraid to die or too stupid to live.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 2, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Perestroika posted:

The worst offenders are dudes with an LMG lying prone with the bipod out and covering a single doorway from two meters away. Or guys ardently camping on a CP we don't actually control.

Anyways, I just had a game where I picked Support, thinking I might chill a bit by covering some avenues and suppressing dudes, but that quickly fell flat when literally nobody on my team tried to attack ever. In an attack/defend gamemode with us as the attackers, no less. They're all just sitting in corners and behind doorways, trying to wear down an enemy that has three times our respawns and no reason whatsoever to attack us. Since there were no other classes left open, I lugged all my gear to the front and used the revolutionary tactic of "throw smoke on and around point, walk there, shoot mans". Somehow I ended up with fourteen kills (the M249 is completely hilarious) and several captures this way, but we still lost in the end.

Pubbies in this game are all afraid to die. Cannot count how many times I've called a flash, thrown it, and rush a room, and the 7 pubbies behind me just stay crouched in cover behind me in the alley.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

So am I the only one in this game that finds a flashlight to be useful? It's great for illumination, even in brighter areas, to help bump up the contrast. I believe it also has a slight bliding or corona effect when it's pointing at you, somewhat similar to the laser sight. However, it's hard to confirm that as I hardly ever see anyone using it. I've never really had problems with it "giving me away".

Also, holy poo poo sometimes the pubbies in this game are awful, both in skill and personality.

alr
May 14, 2009
The only reason I take the flashlight is if I have 1 point left over and I can't be bothered shuffling around other attachments or armour/rigs to spend it better, though in that situation I'll probably forget to use it. I think the only time I deliberately choose it and remember to use it is on Ministry if I know I'm going to be rushing parking lot or that map (Contact?) that's a night time version of the market map.

Couldn't tell you whether it blinds or not though, because I also never see anyone using it. Another attachment I'm thinking of mucking around with depending on my role/map is tracer ammo, I've had a couple times where the psychological factor of watching a stream of red/green tracer whizz by has kept me from moving. I think if you're playing a role that isn't marksman or using a suppressor it's worth trying.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

LogisticEarth posted:

I started a crude Steam group for us to corodinate:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/awfulinsurgency

PM or post here for invites.

Invite please!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/spartman

alr
May 14, 2009
New patch just hit, ~1.2GB. http://www.playinsurgency.com/forums/topic/3243-update-february-5-2014/

Of note

quote:

Improvements
*K:D is no longer shown if you are alive and outside your spawn area, so players can't use the K:D counter to determine if they got a kill or not. Players can still see their K:D when they are in their spawn, they are dead, or it's the end of the round/game.

*The amount of magazines you get are now a bit more limited, so you have to actually take your mag capacity into some consideration.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
This really proves if you wait long enough for people to forget you can repackage anything and add a price tag and idiots will eat it up. An 8 year old hl2 mod that costs money in 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

yourafagpleasedie posted:

This really proves if you wait long enough for people to forget you can repackage anything and add a price tag and idiots will eat it up. An 8 year old hl2 mod that costs money in 2014

Yeah we're playing exactly, 100% with no changes whatsoever, the same thing from 8 years ago!!

MyronGognitti
Jun 15, 2008

by zen death robot

Hey, it worked out for Age of Chivalry.

Babyface Mingo posted:

Yeah we're playing exactly, 100% with no changes whatsoever, the same thing from 8 years ago!!

He does have a point though. I played a helluva lot of Insurgency and AoC back when they were new, and their newer, pay-for iterations, never seemed all that impressive cause I've "been there, done that." I think what interests me most about the new Insurgency are the co-op missions/mode which weren't in the original mod.

Beyond wanting to support the original developers(if they're still there) or thinking you're above playing free mods, I don't get it.

MyronGognitti fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 6, 2014

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I really wish games would move away from suppression mechanics, getting the first shot off at someone is advantage enough. If I'm faster and more accurate than my attacker after he has revealed himself I should have a shot at winning a fight.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Ok so I bought this and it is fun. I like how it feels like the original Insurgency but looks way better.

I like how the armory is quite filled. From MP5K to a M1A1 Carbine lots of nice looking shoot mans tools.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Hell no suppression mechanics are incredibly important, because unlike in real life the simple threat of death isn't enough to keep peoples heads down. You need to put in some mechanical replacement for it. If anything suppression needs to be harsher.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

DatonKallandor posted:

Hell no suppression mechanics are incredibly important, because unlike in real life the simple threat of death isn't enough to keep peoples heads down. You need to put in some mechanical replacement for it. If anything suppression needs to be harsher.

Threat of death is already immense in this game. It does nothing except give a even more massive advantage to whomever fires first, and removes the ability for skill to save you from bad situations.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Mr.Citrus posted:

Threat of death is already immense in this game. It does nothing except give a even more massive advantage to whomever fires first, and removes the ability for skill to save you from bad situations.

In order to actually be suppressed, you have to lay a fair amount of fire on someone. It's not just "first shot, you're heavily suppressed". Either you need to be subject to some sustained automatic fire, have an explosive go off near you, or actually get hit. For the most part it's still entirely possible to fire back effectively through the suppression effects.

Depending on the game mode, I'm not sure threat of death is that immense, at least for sustained combat.

MyronGognitti posted:

He does have a point though. I played a helluva lot of Insurgency and AoC back when they were new, and their newer, pay-for iterations, never seemed all that impressive cause I've "been there, done that." I think what interests me most about the new Insurgency are the co-op missions/mode which weren't in the original mod.

Beyond wanting to support the original developers(if they're still there) or thinking you're above playing free mods, I don't get it.

I guess it depends on what people think the disposable cash is worth. I wasn't convinced until I saw it on a $4.99 flash sale during early access. Five bucks is nothing, so what the hell. $14.99 for the full game still is a decent deal if 1.) The mod is pretty much dead, and 2.) You're looking for a game like this that sort of fills the gap between CoD and Arma. RO2 flopped after a while for me so I was happy to see Insurgency pop back up. Yes it's an old engine but it's also not $60. The game works well, feels great to play, and looks and handles a lot better than the free mod that hadn't been updated since, what, 2009?

There is also, as you said, supporting the developers. This game is pretty solid so I'd like to see more stuff come from them in the future.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Mr.Citrus posted:

Well, the game does attempt to focus on realistic firefights. 'Skill' rarely is the determining factor in someone surviving a bad situation. In firefights, generally, surprise, maneuver, and numbers are more important.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

This is a much better game than the original Insurgency I remember. Plus it actually has people playing now.

People all too quickly forget that FPSs have limited lifespans based on population.

Incidentally I don't care much for the versus modes but I am loving the Co-op mode they added in.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Mr.Citrus posted:

It's probably difficult to aim down sights in real life when every fiber of your being is telling you to get the gently caress down or run away. Instead of trying to get out of bad situations, try not to get into bad situations in the first place.

captainhowdy
Jan 3, 2014

Now kindly undo these straps.
Just picked this up after eyeballing it for weeks..
You guys convinced me ;).
Looks like a nice middle ground between Arma, CS and *insert mil themed shooter here*
Can't wait to get home and give it a whirl.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
SKS with a Kobra and AP ammo rules. Foregrip helps a lot too

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Aliginge posted:

Incidentally I don't care much for the versus modes but I am loving the Co-op mode they added in.

Is there a hard more for the AI? I played a game earlier where they were dumb as bricks most of the time.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Rabhadh posted:

Is there a hard more for the AI? I played a game earlier where they were dumb as bricks most of the time.

code:
mp_coop_min_bots 8 // number of bots when there is 1 player on the server
mp_coop_max_bots 26 // number of bots when there are 8 players on the server
mp_coop_min_bot_difficulty 3 // bot difficulty towards the beginning of the mission
mp_coop_max_bot_difficulty 3 // bot difficulty towards the end of the mission
bot_damage 0.6 // the amount of damage bots give off compared to normal players
Yes, but it needs to be configured.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Minorkos posted:

It's probably difficult to aim down sights in real life when every fiber of your being is telling you to get the gently caress down or run away. Instead of trying to get out of bad situations, try not to get into bad situations in the first place.

I'm sure it is difficult, but that doesn't make it a fun or good game mechanic.

Bottom line: It removes skill from the game, and adds randomness.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Mr.Citrus posted:

Bottom line: It removes skill from the game, and adds randomness.

No it doesn't. Use cover and concealment if you don't want to get shot at.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Elth posted:

No it doesn't. Use cover and concealment if you don't want to get shot at.

Not a single person has explained how this mechanic doesn't add randomness to the game outside of "No it doesn't". Cover and concealment doesn't change the fact that whomever fires first regardless of their accuracy, is given a extra advantage. Its bad in bf 3/4, and its bad here.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Wait what's the mechanic? Never noticed/heard of it before, anyone care to explain it in layman terms?

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Mr.Citrus posted:

Not a single person has explained how this mechanic doesn't add randomness to the game outside of "No it doesn't". Cover and concealment doesn't change the fact that whomever fires first regardless of their accuracy, is given a extra advantage. Its bad in bf 3/4, and its bad here.

What's random about it? Gunfire aimed towards person causes them to panic, and their natural reaction is to duck. the panicking leads to an increased heart rate, and the inability to think straight, which translates to difficulty acquiring and aiming at a target. The blurring effect and weapon sway model this effect well. If you're under fire you cannot effectively engage a target the way you would under normal conditions. It's that simple. The suppression mechanic is the game's way of trying to portray what would be happening if your character were under direct fire. You want to know how to combat it? Seek cover, wait for your target to stop firing, then suppress them, while simultaneously moving to closer cover. Repeat until you can get a good shot on your opponent.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Babyface Mingo posted:

Wait what's the mechanic? Never noticed/heard of it before, anyone care to explain it in layman terms?

When someone shoots at you and misses, you become "suppressed". Vision is blurred via a kinda lovely depth of field / bloom effect, and your aim waivers. The bloom / depth of field isn't an issue, its the aim interference that's dumb. It makes it so you are not just rewarded for good aim, but also bad aim. Is it realistic? probably, but it is a terrible mechanic.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

The game isn't just not getting shot, but also not getting shot at. Don't even get shot at. Getting shot at is awful, and I don't recommend it.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Mr.Citrus posted:

Suppression was bad in BF3 specifically because it increased weapon spread/inaccuracy penalties. Being suppressed directly added randomness to the game's gunplay. Insurgency uses a camera sway that can be compensated for with the mouse. No one complains about the same effect when you're sighted or scoped in.(fwiw, the devs themselves have mentioned the game really has no inaccuracy or spread for automatic fire at all) It's also stupid in Battlefield also because the TTKs are higher and there are tons more head-on firefights.

So okay, we all know that in Insurgency most single hits are lethal. In a game with near-instant TTKs, suppression from indirect fire gives players the ability to lock down a line of sight at the cost of giving away their position and ammo. Generally speaking, if you're able to suppress someone who's behind cover, or in smoke, or wherever, they'll risk of retreating versus shooting back shifts. It's a mechanic that's clearly intended to affect how players choose to position themselves, which is far more important in a game like Insurgency than pure aim. If you're careful and smart about how visible/audible you are you can avoid being suppressed, and like I said before, when you are suppressed, you're still able to compensate for the increased sway and fire back, at the increased risk of messing up and getting killed. Suppression also mechanically distinguishes the volume of fire automatic and burst weapons can lay down from those of semiautos, providing players with a tradeoff between accuracy and recoil, among other things.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
edit: ^ what he said

Stink Fuck Rob fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 7, 2014

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Mr.Citrus posted:

You hardly get suppressed from one shot. Like I said, you get suppressed from being hit, being subject to a large volume of fire, or taking a hit. All of these should heavily suppress you. If you know how to handle suppression, you can even fire back semi effectively sometimes. This is not "randomness". If your only measure of "not random" is being able to shoot mans faster and more accurately than the other guy, then yeah, maybe it adds "randomness". But the fact that you're getting shot at first means either you're in a bad position, the enemy is in a good position, the enemy is using good tactics (e.g. a high volume of fire), or you're not working with teammates.

Without suppression you get problems like being able to pixel snipe a machinegunner while they're spraying bullets all over your position. Yeah, maybe that happens if you're John Rambo with ice in your veins or whatever, but that's not the atmosphere the game is trying to create. And if you want to be the guy who can fire back under heavy suppression, then learn how to handle and fire effectively through the suppression, and don't try and engage if you can't.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 7, 2014

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Mr.Citrus posted:

Well you haven't really explained how suppression is a bad mechanic other than "it adds randomness" (it doesn't, it makes it so you become ineffective if you're under heavy fire, and even then you can still shoot back), "it gives the first shooter an advantage" (which isn't bad, since being shot at is supposed to be something you should avoid, and it stresses the importance of teamwork), or "battlefield did it and it was bad".

Suppression is a fundamental part of Insurgency's combat. Every level is built around the idea of using suppressive fire and flanking to outgun and kill the enemy team. Suppression has a lesser effect in indoor combat but it adds to the chaos and confusion of CQB when firing in tight spaces (lots of noise, dust flying everywhere). It also discourages run and gun tactics like those you see most often in Call of Duty and Battlefield.

But yeah, the others have said it much better than I just did. If you really want to complain about something, complain about objectives that require you to blow up weapon caches. There is nothing more frustrating than watching your teammates stand around scratching their asses for 4 minutes because nobody brought C4.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I haven't played this new Insurgency but I did play the mod (and RO). There wasn't even suppression in the game back then, but getting the first shot was still amazingly important and basically decided a vast majority of the engagements.

Insurgency isn't a twitch shooter. Time-to-kill isn't a concept here. Fights are meant to be unfair. You can't compensate bad decision-making with good aim because that's not what the game is about. It's about being careful, methodical and seeing your enemy before he sees you. Saying that suppression adds randomness and is therefore bad is a silly idea since that's the same as saying "getting shot in CS throws off your aim, it adds randomness". Any situation where you're exchanging fire is already a bad situation.

edit: noticed this excerpt in an earlier post

Mr.Citrus posted:

If I'm faster and more accurate than my attacker after he has revealed himself I should have a shot at winning a fight.

No, you shouldn't. That's not how the gameplay in Insurgency works. The act of aiming and firing your weapon is a tiny part of the game, it's everything leading up to it that matters.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 7, 2014

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007
I recently learned that if you retreat back to a previous capture point, you can access your kit screen from there and re-kit yourself; give yourself frags or c-4 as needed. :mil101:

I think they need to freaking have that pop up in giant glowing letters in game if nobody left has anything explosive on them.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I just bought this game and was wondering if I could get an invite to the group? http://steamcommunity.com/id/roobanguy

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

If you don't like the attempt at realism or the gameplay mechanic, then there is a pretty simple solution to that.

Look for a different video game.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Thump! posted:

Look for a different video game.

If you don't like his opinion you could just not read his posts. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

KweezNArt posted:

I recently learned that if you retreat back to a previous capture point, you can access your kit screen from there and re-kit yourself; give yourself frags or c-4 as needed. :mil101:

I think they need to freaking have that pop up in giant glowing letters in game if nobody left has anything explosive on them.

If they went through the training mission then they would know.

• Locked thread