Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I really wish there was a way to explore the maps at your leisure. Choosing Practice Mode just dumps you in a random map with bots and I haven't found a way to just start a local server by yourself. There's probably a console command that does that, but it's pretty drat annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Elth posted:

I really wish there was a way to explore the maps at your leisure. Choosing Practice Mode just dumps you in a random map with bots and I haven't found a way to just start a local server by yourself. There's probably a console command that does that, but it's pretty drat annoying.

1. open console

2. (if you don't want bots) ins_bot_quota 0

3. map mapnamegoeshere (e.g. map heights, map mansion, et cetera)

you're done

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im enjoying this after picking it up on sale. But I think the only thing I enjoy so far is the coop mode.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Coop is great especially with a coordinated team. It's also great when you're the last man standing and the game decides to throw a counterattack at you and you actually pull it off.

I've been trying to find a use for the shotgun slug shells. They're not useless in CQB but you're much better off with buckshot even against dudes in armour. The lovely ironsights, lack of optics and slow ROF kind of put a damper on medium range engagements, and you can forget about long range. I guess you could use them to hit someone behind thin cover, but an M4 with AP ammo will do that much more effectively and without having to guess the exact location of someone you can't see.

Besides, buckshot can still wound and suppress at medium range. Just like in real engagements, however, you're almost always better off with an assault rifle.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Ive been just using the M16 with no sights. Its unreal how much better the Iron sights seem than most of the scopes in the game, even at "long" range.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

blackguy32 posted:

Ive been just using the M16 with no sights. Its unreal how much better the Iron sights seem than most of the scopes in the game, even at "long" range.

This is sort of a problem a lot of shooters have with modeling iron sights vs. hollow sights. The real advantage of a holo sight is that it is much easier and quicker to line up a shot because you don't have to align the front and rear sights, as is required by traditional iron sights. However, pretty much every game models iron sights as super-easy to use, and snaps them right into perfect alignment for gameplay purposes, so you lose that advantage.

They holo sights do work well with the shotguns though.

Elth posted:

I've been trying to find a use for the shotgun slug shells. They're not useless in CQB but you're much better off with buckshot even against dudes in armour. The lovely ironsights, lack of optics and slow ROF kind of put a damper on medium range engagements, and you can forget about long range. I guess you could use them to hit someone behind thin cover, but an M4 with AP ammo will do that much more effectively and without having to guess the exact location of someone you can't see.

Besides, buckshot can still wound and suppress at medium range. Just like in real engagements, however, you're almost always better off with an assault rifle.

Back in the pre-release, the slugs could be devastating against armored dudes. But they modeled that out, for...realism purposes I guess? Of course buckshot still does enough damage to limbs that it's better than slugs at all ranges. So they're kind of stuck in developmental limbo.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
I'd love an invite to the steam group!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/wilbur220/

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Since the Steam sale I have been absolutely loving the coop mode on this game. Not for a long time have I played a game so regular, I've never seen pubbies work so close in a 6-8 man setting. Great gunplay, tense situations and killer bots.

There's a new patch out today which gives a new map and grenade launchers along with other fixes.

What a steal for £6.00 [at the time]

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Holy cow, this is a hell of an update:

quote:

The most significant update to Insurgency since “Molotov Spring” is now available for all players. “Hunt” sees the return of the cooperative game mode of the same name - a challenging one-life mode where you will need to eliminate all enemy while locating and destroying a weapons cache. Supported maps include District, Ministry, and Heights, all with darker lighting and atmosphere to heighten the suspense.

A brand new map - Panj - is also introduced to the game. Inspired by the rural southern provinces of Afghanistan, this map is designed from the ground up to support a balanced and open layout for Skirmish, Firefight, Occupy, and Push modes.

Our most popular game mode Push also has a new twist. If the attackers successfully secure Objective Charlie, they have an opportunity to continue their momentum and destroy the enemy weapons cache. The defenders must make a very intense last stand with only one life.

A new grenade launcher is also implemented for both teams. Demolitions class for Security have access to an M203 with the M16, while Insurgent Striker and Sapper classes have the GP25 for the AKMS. Both high explosive and smoke rounds are available for these weapons that introduce a new threat and dynamic to the game. Additional classes have access to the grenade launchers for using smoke only.

Other weapon changes include: the addition of a 1x Aimpoint sight for Security; M14 EBR has a bipod upgrade; a weight limit that players can’t exceed when choosing supply; and balancing of supply point cost for some kit items.

We’ve also provided various tweaks, bug fixes, and performance optimizations. Today’s release is phase one of the update, and another update will be released in two days with even more content and features.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

Today’s release is phase one of the update, and another update will be released in two days with even more content and features.

:stare:

Would've been totally cool with just a new map and grenade launchers to play with.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Wow, perhaps I should reinstall this. Has the playerbase matured a bit?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

LogisticEarth posted:

I only play COOP and love the poo poo out of it, find a nice server, and people are cool.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Anytime I play with pubbies, I always notice how better the playerbase is than every other multiplayer shooter out there. They still have a problem with casual racism, given the theme of the game, but when it comes to actual teamplay and communication, Insurgency pubbies are the best.

I just played a quick round on the new map, it's fun, reminds me of Red Orchestra with how it's just a couple farm houses and walls scattered around fields. Not as big as a typical RO map, but it seems to have more thought put into it. Grenade launcher is fun but I noticed some latency oddities that I didn't otherwise get with any of the other guns, things like hearing the fire sound again half a second after firing the GL. The bipod acts like RO a lot, except for a crucial factor that you can only set it up prone, hope they fix that.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 5, 2014

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
anybody have a copy from a 4 pack available or something? don't feel like a paying 5$ extra as punishment for living in europe.

BickidWoody
May 8, 2014

LogisticEarth posted:

Um. I just tend to play with some mates and mute voice chat. Some people are still really loud and annoying.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Jehde posted:

The bipod acts like RO a lot, except for a crucial factor that you can only set it up prone, hope they fix that.

It doesn't only work in prone, it just only auto-deploys in prone, you have to manually drop the bbipod when standing or crouched.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
I played with a round of firefight today to test the new stuff out. The new 1x red dot is neat, I assume they added it in due to how players complained about how the holo sight blocks their peripheral view when shooting past close range. Didn't get to shoot the grenade launchers, but I heard from one of the players in the server that they are bugged and don't work after the first shot.

The chatter on the server I played on was half irrelevant banter and half coordination but its good to see the game has more hosted servers than official ones. I hope to see some good communities grow in the near future out of the attention the developers are giving this game.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dvsilverwing posted:

It doesn't only work in prone, it just only auto-deploys in prone, you have to manually drop the bbipod when standing or crouched.

Oh I couldn't figure this out for whatever reason. :downs:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The bipods are actually pretty flexible as to what they'll mount on. I remember humping a SAW across the side of Heights, and moving from cover to cover I mounted it on car hoods, trash cans, busted fences, basically anything from shoulder to waist height.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

How big is the player base for this game? It's 50% off and I'm thinking of buying it.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Whale Cancer posted:

How big is the player base for this game? It's 50% off and I'm thinking of buying it.

It's a niche game but its playerbase is still pretty healthy. You'll usually see between one and two thousand people online, depending on the time of day, and I've never had trouble finding a server.

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012
4600 players currently, 4750 peak today, 33rd most played game on steam.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Whale Cancer posted:

It's like red orchestra but trade neo nazis for islamophobic POGs

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
Free steam weekend! There is an insurgency room on the Camping the Stairs mumble.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521554&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It is a bit of a battle to play with friends. I want to setup a party and then join a game. I do 't care which side but I want us stay together. Also for COOP, it sucks that I have no option to form a lobby and do a coop game, even if it means that I have to host.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I too would like more games to be console ports.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
When you have 6 people wanting to play this game together, it is actually really tedious to ensure that we end up on the same team on the same map.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Having 6 slots open on one side in any pc game is hard to find. Just play against each other.

alr
May 14, 2009
I'm really loving glad it's difficult to match that many people on the one team to be honest, I've done myself and three others and basic teamwork and map knowledge will wind up with you slaughtering the other team. Just play against each other, it's more fun for everyone~

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So teamwork is OP and should be nerfed?

alr
May 14, 2009
Rolling around as a coordinated group of 6 dudes even in something as open and huge as BF3 or Arma 3 Wasteland/King of the hill is enough to dominate a server. In this game where most maps are balanced around 8v8 having 6 dudes working together vs a random bunch of people sounds terrible. I guess if that's what you're after then sure it sounds good but like I said, I've teamstacked in this game and it's pretty lovely for all involved. I'll reword my original post - I'm really glad it's difficult to match that many people together against people on random public servers, though I'd love if it there was a more serious team vs team (ranked, maybe) mode friends and I could join as a group. I just find it poo poo running a group like that or being up against something like that.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
The new hunt mode is good in theory, but it seems a shame that all of the maps have an apocalyptic/dark feel to them.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Any goons regularly play this? With the free Weekend on I figured it's time to test it out. Hopefully it'll be what I'm looking for so I'll be looking for a good place to play.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

To be honest, the Steam group never took off. Best bet is probably Camping the Stairs.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Coop lovers check out the server PSY OPS, good bunch of friendly regulars with mics and good teamwork.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

This game is totes fun and with the heavy discount I was able to sell a bunch of cards and grab it. I played it a ton as a free mod a long time ago and it looks like they improved pretty much everything since then.

Only problem I am having is getting into a cooperative game is basically impossible unless you go through the server browser and get lucky. Trying to just click it and hit play causes it to act like it's connecting to a server but then I just get dumped back to the main menu with no error.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

it looks like they improved pretty much everything since then.
Not the soundtrack :colbert:

But yeah I agree, I'm hoping that other great source mods like Empires, Dystopia, Neotokyo, Hidden etc gets the same treatment as well. One can only dream.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I'm just guessing here, but I think there are servers out there that are broadcasting but aren't actually up and running... and the browser (and likely the instant play function) doesn't know how to cull them, so when you try to connect to them, it just aborts without telling you why. Check out the actual server browser and you'll see games that are up that have zero tags. That's actually impossible because at the very least the game is to have one of the following tags: "mm:pvp" or "mm:coop".

I'm enjoying it quite a bit, because I hate playing these kinds of games against other people, but on a team with people against bots I can just chill and shoot things for hours.

I think I might pick it up. Maybe the Steam thread might start a 4-pack run of this.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Over ten thousand in game right now, gently caress yeah! I hope a lot of these guys stick around after the free weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Let's get together!

We should organize a coop party at 9pm EST, 6pm PST tonight at CTS Mumble, insurgency channel.
Let's get eight people together, find an empty coop server and use voice and teamwork to have some fun.
I will be there with one friend, so pile up.

• Locked thread