Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I never bothered to follow the Mario or Zelda threads, but I love Kirby. Sign me up.

To start off with, just last month I beat Kirby Super Star Ultra. I got all the GCO treasures, and got all the powers in MWW.

I've also beaten Returns to Dreamland, but I plan to beat Extra Mode for that, so I'll hold off for now.

EDIT: Oh, and two challenges for Mass Attack should be to Collect all the medals and Get a Gold Star on every level (aka beat every level without getting hit).

EDIT2: Kirby Dreamland Extra Mode beaten.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Grawl posted:

I can't judge by a screenshot what game you just finished.

pichupal posted:

My research tells me that's tinkertoy beat Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB) but emulated as if it was on a Super Game Boy. Also collected all the rainbow drops.

Didn't actually know you could get it in colour.

Hopefully I'll have time to play some Kirby games this year, although I'll at least do Triple Deluxe when it comes out.

Thank you, pichupal, for covering my dumb rear end. It's that thing up there, Grawl. Thanks for not being a cock about it.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I elected to play Super Star Ultra instead of the original, for the sake of the extra gameplay. I beat every sub-game, got all treasure in The Great Cave Offensive, and found all the copy abilities in Milky Way Wishes. I didn't really try the True Arena, mostly out of laziness.

Speaking of Milky Way Wishes, gently caress Hotbeat. Seriously, gently caress that goddamn planet. gently caress the lava, gently caress the minecart bullshit, gently caress the copy statues, gently caress ALL OF IT. The gently caress it again when you have to re-play it again in Meta Knightmare.

gently caress that level.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

woofbro beat Kirby's Adventure

Really enjoyed it, I don't really have it in me to 100% or Extra it.

There was one really cool boss, Heavy Mole.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Playing out of order a bit, I've managed to defeat Dark Mind and save the Mirror World in Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. I'm currently going for 100%, but unfortunately, there's a complication: Mustard Mountain has the least comprehensible layout that is possible for a human to create, and I'm incapable of finding the map, wherever it's hidden. Wish me luck.

woofbro posted:

There was one really cool boss, Heavy Mole.
I didn't enjoy the fight in question much, mostly because it loved to make holes in the ground and I loved falling into them, but mechanically it's unique.

UPDATE:
I've just now beaten Kirby: Squeak Squad as well! All treasure chests, of course. I'm disappointed by the final boss; I never knew it was possible to be taken aback by how mundane something is.

tinkerttoy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 31, 2014

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Thaks for keeping this alive guys! I've updated the spreadsheet.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Grawl posted:

Thaks for keeping this alive guys! I've updated the spreadsheet.

Eh, Kirby's a good series and this gives me the excuse to play a couple parts of the series that I'd never even considered experiencing. For example, I wouldn't have played Canvas Curse, which I'm going to be playing next.

e: Look, it'd probably be better if I were playing on a real DS instead of with a mouse, but goodness this is awful. The remixes are rubbish and remove all the charm of the originals, the environments are ugly, and having to tap Kirby to attack feels really unnatural.

eČ: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHH

electronic entertainment expo: Fight fire with flame.
Foolish Kirby; paint begets
More accursed paint.

e4: They say that the best medicine is poison in small doses. Is this my medicine?

e5: Canvas Curse has made me feel like less of a person, so I'm going to make it feel like less of a game. Let the record show that, using the tools supplied by my emulator, that I cheesed the gently caress out of Paint Panic, one of the bosses.

e6: I cried. I cried over my inability to beat a video game. This hasn't happened since I was four. Hell, I haven't cried at all in years, not even when my grandpa died. Kirby: Canvas Curse evoked a sense of overwhelming sorrow in me that my the death of my most beloved relative failed to. What in the actual gently caress.

tinkerttoy fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 4, 2014

Glenn565
Aug 1, 2009
Might as well throw my hat into the ring. I'm in.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I am stuck on Kirby Super Star because I decided to play it on the DS and now I can't be the stupid True Arena and my game is sitting at 97%. BOOOO.

I'll be damned if I say I've completed it before then, though. :argh:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Triple Deluxe is out today! Everyone now has the ability to complete the challenge. GO FIGHT WIN.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Quidnose posted:

I am stuck on Kirby Super Star because I decided to play it on the DS and now I can't be the stupid True Arena and my game is sitting at 97%. BOOOO.

I'll be damned if I say I've completed it before then, though. :argh:

Just go grab Hammer or Plasma and cheese it. :v:

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Quidnose posted:

Triple Deluxe is out today! Everyone now has the ability to complete the challenge. GO FIGHT WIN.

I've been anticipating this for quite a while. I bought a 3DS just to play it.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Kirby: Triple Deluxe has been completed! 100 Sun Stones, too. Weirdly enough, that leaves my completion at 69%. What do you have to do to get 100%?

Please don't tell me I have to get all the keychains.

Glenn565
Aug 1, 2009

tinkerttoy posted:

Kirby: Triple Deluxe has been completed! 100 Sun Stones, too. Weirdly enough, that leaves my completion at 69%. What do you have to do to get 100%?

You have to get all the keychains.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just go grab Hammer or Plasma and cheese it. :v:

Too hard to cheese even with things :(

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

tinkerttoy posted:

Well for one you're missing 4 or 5 sweet new bosses in Dededetour and the True Arena. I just finished the True Arena and the final final final boss is amazing.

Really, every boss in both Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe is great. Whoever is designing these guys at HAL needs a promotion.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Now sitting at 91% after beating True Arena and prerequisites. You're right about the final final final boss, Evil Eagle. At first I thought she was just a Marx reskin like Magalor, based off what she opens with, but that's not the case at all! It's a hell of a boss fight, especially when you just lost Arrow which was vital to your cheesing the rest of the arena because you're a massive scrub.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The bosses in Triple Deluxe are definitely the best in the series. Those fights were a blast. Shame you can't fight the DX bosses as Kirby outside of the True Arena.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Ok, sure I'm in

Let's give this a try

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Kirby's Dreamland 1 health run attempted

and finished.

I might try extra mode at a later date, but probably not one health.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Justin_Brett has beaten Triple Deluxe's Story Mode, with all Sun Stones, and everything in Super Star Ultra besides Metaknight's mode and the True Arena. That includes all treasures in Great Cave Offensive and all powers in Milky Way Wishes.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Oh man, I forgot that I actually own a copy of tilt n tumble

I guess i'll have to do that

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Triple Deluxe has been 100% completed! After an obscene amount of fluttering about the edges of every screen, I only ended up looking up five keychains.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

what do you have to do for the 100%? do you have to beat all the Kirby fighters on very hard, because if so, drat

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

No Such Thing posted:

what do you have to do for the 100%? do you have to beat all the Kirby fighters on very hard, because if so, drat

No, you have to beat the game, get all 256 keychains, beat all the single-player modes of Kirby Fighters on any difficulty, beat all four levels of Dedede's Drum Dash, beat Dedede Tour, and beat both Arenas.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
Spreadsheet updated.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Niemat has completed Kirby and the Amazing Mirror at 100%

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Sign me up. Gonna try and run through Kirby's Dream Land and Kirby's Adventure tonight.

What's the preferred DS emulator around these parts?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Sign me up. Gonna try and run through Kirby's Dream Land and Kirby's Adventure tonight.

What's the preferred DS emulator around these parts?

That would be DeSmuME.

Glenn565
Aug 1, 2009
Glenn565 completed Triple Deluxe with all Sun Stones collected!

I may come back and 100% it later, but for now I'm satisfied. drat fine game though.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

It's been awhile since I posted in this thread, but the semester ending combined with Triple Deluxe reigniting my energy for this, I've worked through quite a bit.

Kirby Adventure, 100%:

I actually beat the game several months back, but it was only recently that I went for 100%. It was a lot easier to die in this game than I expected, in part because of the way the health bar works (six hits and you're down). I still love the callback level. Not much to say about it otherwise.

Kirby's Epic Yarn, 100% and Every level gold-ranked.:

Probably the game that benefited most from this marathon. I probably never would have touched it again otherwise, but I'm glad I did. I remembered it as being good, but it's a lot better than I thought. I was also probably biased against it since I wanted a new traditional Kirby, which, if you exclude the remake of Super Star, had its last title in 2006 with Squeak Squad.

Finally, Every sub-game in Kirby Triple Deluxe completed:

(meaning I've done everything except collect all the keychains)
An amazing game. It'll probably go along Super Star Ultra as a game I'll replay regularly. I'm not sure when I'll go back to collect the rest of the keychains. It's annoying hovering at 98%, but I think I've had my fill of the game for now.

I think I'll work on the Dark Matter games next.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Just finished Epic Yarn 100%

I've always liked its level design but man the stupid fabric missions are tedious.

Also, you can tell that a lot of the mechanics and design are similar to good feels previous game Wario Land: Shake it! but it's just not quite as challenging or good.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Just noticed that I still had the entirety of Kirby's Dream Collection in my backlog, so it looks like I'm in.

Edit:
Kirby's Dream Land - Done

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 7, 2014

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Finally........this took way too long grinding at the arena. Also, IGN wiki is a good friend for rare keychains.

Also Grawl, since I quoted it in a post you may not've seen it:

Also, I didn't get a screenshot, but I 98% completed Dreamland 3. I would've gone for 100% there, but the mini games are far too infuriating at times.

So in summary, InterrupterJones has completed Kirby Superstar 100%, Kirby's Dreamland 3 98%, and Kirby Triple Deluxe 100%. That's a sufficient enough update for halfway through the year I say.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Oh boy! I've beaten Kirby's Dreamland 3 with 97%: All heart stars collected and the true final boss defeated! I would post a screenshot, but my hard drive failed the day afterwards, before I managed to 100% it. :downs:

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I just realized that I completely forgot to post any of these.

Kirby's Adventure - Done

Kirby's Dreamland 2 - Completed with all Rainbow Drops

Kirby Super Star - Beaten

All treasures in Great Cave Offensive gotten:

All copy abilities found in Milky Way Wishes:

Kirby's Dreamland 3 - Beat the true final boss

and finally Kirby 64 - Collected all shards and beat the final boss

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
Alright, a new year is coming and it seems people lost interest in Kirby -- myself included.

Does anyone have a good idea for the 2015 challenge? Megaman, Sonic, Dragon Quest, Metroid, Castlevania, Resident Evil etc. etc.? Or perhaps "an introduction to games", and just play the first game of certain series?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I would play the hell out of some Mega Man or Castlevania. I've been needing an excuse to fill my Wii U and 3ds up with VC Mega Man titles.

I forgot about this thread after my initial post, but I did play a few Kirby games this year. I beat Kirby Triple Deluxe (not 100%) and unfortunately that was it. Many others I started but just didn't finish for whatever reason.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Mega Man all the way. Shitton of games, super good challenge - I would be all over it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

oh dear I forgot about this, I did end up beating Kirby 64, Returns to dreamland and Triple deluxe (not 100% on all 3) but beyond that nothing else.

Also yeah, my vote is for Megaman, make it the classic series since 1-10 are easy to find in play, with 8 only being the exception.

• Locked thread