Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

What goon doesn't love pizza? none, I say! You may think your homemade pizza game is legit but unless you have a wood burning oven or one of these here pizza steels, I'mma venture to say your pizzas are pretty good, but are nowhere near what a proper pizza restaurant can turn out. The problem? until recently the go to method for pizza-ing was the baking stone. The idea is that the porous stone absorbed water and made it so that the pizza could form a nice crisp crust. Well, that is true to some extent, however, because of the thermal properties of stone/clay/etc, it takes forever to preheat and doesn't transfer the heat to the pizza well, exacerbated by the fact that most home ovens cannot go above 550F (if that)(the average proper pizzeria wood burning oven can exceed 850F). The end result is a bake time of around 10 minutes. In an ideal pizza baking situation you are in and out of the oven in 1 minute. This factor of 10 in increased bake time takes its toll on the pizza. Though still edible, and quite good in most circumstances, ingredients are overcooked, crust crumb dries out more than it should, and you still never really get the great charred edges that really fantastic pizza gets.

Solution? Change the material of the baking stone to one with better conduction. Better conduction means that you transfer the heat faster into the pizza shortening the cook time dramatically. more spergwords here: http://modernistcuisine.com/baking-steel/

I've done some tests with the back of a cast iron skillet and I can vouch for it working very very well. I've even managed a few 1.5 minute cook times. Problem with a cast iron skillet is that because of the geometry, it's kind of finnicky in actual use. space is at a premium, and you have to be pretty finessed with a pizza peel to make sure your beautiful pizza doesnt end up upside down on the bottom of your oven. As shown in the previous link, pizza steels with MODERNIST CUISINE emblazoned across them are quite pricey.

Enter goonproject. Thanks to this thread brought to my attention by deimos, and some discussions, its looking like we might be able to bring the price down considerably from the modernist cuisine offical steel. Official dimensions of the MODERNISTCUISINE one are 14"x16"x3/8". I was thinking these dimensions would be good considering the dudes are super duper way spergier than me but it is up for discussion

Some relevant :words: from online and pm conversations re: pizza steel

sifutoast posted:

RE: Original pizza steel request
This is funny because we've actually cut some of these for a client once. We can also etch anything you want on it like the link you posted. I've drawn up a simple rounded rectangle of those dimensions, and I'm getting back $22.23 for 1. And as jeomk mentioned, our website does price:volume (it's actually price to volume for whole order) so for let's say, 10 of them it drops to $21 a piece. If you want the drawing so you can modify it or order it, let me know and I'll send it to you.

re: thickness
Also, we've found you can take them down to 1/4" and they still hold heat enough for good crust. 1/4" is cheaper than 3/8"

My only concern with taking it down to 1/4" is rebound time. while one pizza might be fine, idk what the rebound is like for, like, make-your-own-pizza parties and stuff.

sifutoast also mentioned maybe etching designs onto the steel. any interest in this? What should it be? A grenade? :goonsay: A frog? :frogon: :getin: :frogc00l: :smug: Goatse? :iiam:

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

tl;dr thread summary:

bulk discount cannot be had at this time, however this is still a very good deal though for a custom etched baking steel with the coupon code, use the following links to order what you like for yourself:

GrAviTy84 posted:

http://www.robinsonlaser.com/?clid=1083

Coupon code: SAGOONS

Basic template: http://www.robinsonlaser.com/goons/GrAviTy84-2.dxf

I'd be down for a version with a small :chef: in the corner if someone wants to draft it up.

SifuToast posted:

https://www.robinsonlaser.com/goons/chefsmiley3.dxf

DFu4ever threw a chef smiley in the lower right.

bunnielab posted:

Would it be possible to get one made up as a circle? I want one mainly to use as a comel and one that is 18.5"dia would be small enough to heat on a single burner but would let me make 5 6' tortillas at a time. I am unsure what thickness, I would think to keep the heat even I should go as thick as reasonable, 3/8" seems the most reasonable.

Seasoning:

Steve Yun posted:

Take a paper towel and some vegetable oil. Rub a little oil all over the thing.

Take another paper towel and wipe off any excess oil.

Bake at 500°F for one hour.

Let it cool down completely before touching.

Optional: repeat maybe one or two times.

Product photos:

Nohearum posted:

Here's a pic of it after an hour seasoning. Still too hot to take out of the oven, so the lighting isn't that great.

I used the basic template that Gravity84 posted a few pages back (no logo). The material was black structural (A36). I wouldn't bother with the pickling process as the stock finish is pretty good.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 8, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Interested in a second pizza steel because my broiler is below my oven. Having a second hot slab overhead might be helpful in cooking the toppings. Or maybe not, but it's worth investigating.

GrAviTy84 posted:

sifutoast also mentioned maybe etching designs onto the steel. any interest in this? What should it be? A grenade? :goonsay: A frog? :frogon: :getin: :frogc00l: :smug: Goatse? :iiam:

:chef:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 31, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What am I missing that makes this different from a piece of 3/8 mild steel?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Laser cut rounded corners. Possibly cheaper depending on shipping (mine was $45, sifutoast is offering half that subtotal, I imagine sifutoast gets his slabs in cheap large bulk)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Put me on that list!

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!
I would also like to be added to that list.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Saw this from the steel thread and GWS recommendations thread. Count me in!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What am I missing that makes this different from a piece of 3/8 mild steel?

Mine is 3/4 inch, because that's what I had, and has non-precision corners cut with an oxyacetylene torch.

Works great. :v:

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I'm interested but no goon poo poo on it plz

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I might be interested in one depending on thickness & price w/ shipping. No goatse and poo poo etched please.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
If I can back out of my baking steel order, count me in.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

EDIT: Damnit, nevermind.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
I'm interested as well. When SH/SC did the USB bottle opener group buy, they had a poll to determine what was written on it.

Would bread come out better on this too? I've never actually made bread or pizza before myself.

oh rly fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 31, 2013

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
Double post. Sorry.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I'm in as long as the Goon poo poo is subtle.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

As said before, I'm down for this. Don't particularly care for having any goon poo poo on it though.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
I'm interested depending on the final price with shipping. Not interested in any goon-y etching.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...

Steve Yun posted:

Interested in a second pizza steel because my broiler is below my oven. Having a second hot slab overhead might be helpful in cooking the toppings. Or maybe not, but it's worth investigating.

:chef:

Definitely think :chef: needs to get etched on dat stone. I think it'd be awesome. Maybe "GWS" underneath?

I wonder what the image parameters are. Do we have a vector of :chef: floating out there somewhere?

edit: Looks like a lot of people aren't necessarily interested in etching, but I don't think that a simple emote would be too invasive. :shobon: Ultimately I don't think anyone would be upset if we just went with blank.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I'm very interested as well. I'd rather not have anything overly offensive like goatse either, but a cheap baking steel is a cheap baking steel.

Either way I'm in.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Interested as well, also subtle but there on the goon marking.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

I would be in for sure. I was just about to buy a pizza stone, but this seems better.
Anyone seen these used in a bbq grill?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I am all for this, and a GWS etch needs to be made.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Interested as long as there is no internet stuff etched on it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I am all for this, and a GWS etch needs to be made.

On second thought, I'd be fine with something like GWS on it or whatever, just nothing loving goony like goatse high-fiving the :getin: frog.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Interested but would like to know total cost with shipping.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
:chef: about 1.5"-2" overall on a corner would be neat IMHO.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
I'm interested depending on cost and content of any goony poo poo (preferably none).

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
In depending on shipping to Canada (Ottawa).

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

deimos posted:

:chef: about 1.5"-2" overall on a corner would be neat IMHO.

I like this. Not very goony, but very 'cook-y'. Size is perfect too. Maybe in the left corner closest to the oven door?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Nohearum posted:

Same here.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Nohearum posted:

This. I'd be down if we could get it to <$30 shipped.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Croatoan posted:

This. I'd be down if we could get it to <$30 shipped.

so less than $10 shipping? Doubt that will ever happen for such a heavy item.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Edit: I've decided not to go for it for now.

blixa fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 8, 2014

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!
Interested, depending on shipping.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

deimos posted:

so less than $10 shipping? Doubt that will ever happen for such a heavy item.

I don't know, I may go higher if the wife's down with it but 15# item ground is usually around $10.

min
May 12, 2001

Interested depending on final price + shipping. Would prefer no weird internet business etched on it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, I'm down.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mark me down as interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
Count me as interested.

• Locked thread