Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Awesome prompt.

In.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
In with the 1960s and a :toxx:.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

DreamingofRoses, you have maybe two hours before this gets called in.

I'll take the Toxx like a big girl.

It's my own fault for thinking I can write.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Victory of Man (824)

”Neil, look,” the blue-eyed astronaut gestured out the window of the Lunar Module to the grey-white surface shining beneath them, and a particular problem for where the module was aiming.

”drat it,” Armstrong stared at the scene for a moment before pulling himself into position carefully in the small, machinery filled space. After flipping a few switches and adjusting the microphone embedded among the buttons, Armstrong peered through the window again. ”Houston, there’s a problem.”

”Roger. What happened?” The cracking voice from the speakers in the module belied the nervousness felt by the entire room at Mission Control.

”Something’s wrong with the landing sensor, the module’s overshot it’s original landing point and we’re aimed for a bad area. I’ll have to land manually,” Armstrong glanced at Aldrin.

”Roger, keep us informed,” The silence fell heavy on Mission Control. The only noise came from one of the workers relaying information from the Columbia into the module.

”We’re spinning, Buzz. employ detent,” Armstrong looked out the window and back at the sensor data. ”Houston, I’ve found a nice little crater to land in, I’m aiming for it now. Buzz, what’s our position?”

”Okay. We’re 100 feet from the surface, heading three-and-a-half feet-per-sec down, and 9 forward. Five percent of fuel’s left. Quantity light.”

”Five percent? Eagle, you have ninety seconds to land or you’ll have to abort.” They wouldn’t have enough fuel to get back to the Columbia if they didn’t. Silence reigned until Buzz’s next set of data.

”Seventy-five feet. And it's looking good. Down a half, six forward.”

”Sixty seconds.”

”Sixty feet, down two-and-a-half.” There was a brief silence as Buzz sought the rest of the information, ”Two forward. That's good.”

Neil couldn’t let his concentration slip. His eyes were everywhere at once, monitoring the burn rate of the fuel as well as their position in relation to the lunar surface. His hands kept the craft in a steady direction despite Buzz’s next comment.

”We’re drifting forward and to the right a little, but that’s good. It’s good. Four forward, down a half. We’re 20 feet up. Our shadow’s on the surface now.”

”Thirty Seconds, Eagle.”

Neil’s eyes saw nothing but the controls. One of the sensors on the bottom of the craft signaled that it had made soft contact with the surface and Buzz called out, ”Contact light!”

A few seconds passed before the definite thud of landing on the surface shuddered the module. Neil let out a long breath he had been holding unconsciously, and began the landing protocol. ”Shutdown”

”Okay, engine stop,” Buzz began flicking the switches to shut down the burn engines. ”ACA is out of detent.”

”Mode control - both auto. Descent engine command override off. Engine arm - off. 413 is in,” Neil let out a breath and glanced at Buzz who was grinning from ear-to-ear. Aldrin was also standing, as was he. An odd feeling after the weeks of earlier weightlessness. ”Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.”

The cheering at Mission Control could be heard through the speakers. When it died down, the congratulations had finished, and instructions had been given to prepare for the actual walk at 20:00, Buzz took the microphone for a moment.

”This is the pilot. I'd like to take this opportunity to ask every person listening in, whoever and wherever they may be, to pause for a moment and contemplate the events of the past few hours and to give thanks in his or her own way. ” He switched off the microphone and went to go give thanks in his own way, a private Communion, while Armstrong prepared for the walk-proper and suited up.

The suit wasn’t heavy, at least, not compared to the weight it had been on Earth. The environmental-control was unwieldy, but not unmanageable. The only real problem came when he turned to go down the ladder. The suit was slightly too big to fit through the hatch easily. It required some squeezing on Neil’s part, with concerns being voiced by both Mission Control and Buzz, but eventually he was through and setting up the camera on the side of the module.

The ground was silver talcum powder and flew up into the air at the touch of his boots. His suit would be coated in a matter of minutes of jumping about the surface, but for now that didn’t matter. He glanced up at the shining blue planet on the horizon and grinned at the thrill that leaped from his stomach and into his throat. He was the first, but the fact that he wouldn’t be the last made him happier than anything.

”Any words for the people at home, Neil?” Mission Control crackled through the head-set once more.

Neil bounced forward on the ground once more and turned his suit towards the camera on the side of the module, ”One small step for a man. One giant leap for mankind.”

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Thank you all for the kick in the rear end.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Carbon

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I'll take a flash rule too.

(I keep forgetting those are things.)

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Precious Gems--(1,102 words)
Element: Carbon, Rule: write about someone uncomfortable in their own skin.

January 21, 2000

I got my first diamond today. It’s clear and pretty good quality too. When the light hits it just right, little rainbows come sparkling out from the middle and the cut edges. It’s amazing and just looking at it makes me happy.

God, I love diamonds.

January 22, 2000

Okay, so after looking at what I put in yesterday, I could stand to do some elaborating, although that probably means I’ll have to burn this thing after I’m done. So, I had ordered the diamond two weeks ago after I had finished my first contract. It was a man, I don’t really remember his name, only that it had to look like an accident so I only managed to get a lock of his hair before the actual driving-into-a-wall thing happened. It was enough for them to work with, though.

I told the people at LifeStone that the hair came from my fiance who died in a car-crash, which was only a slight twist on the truth, right? It was super-expensive though, like $4,000 expensive. Fortunately, the contractee had paid enough ahead of time that I didn’t have to wait to get the rest of the payment before I could send it in. I’m looking forward to my next one. We’ll see what else you-know-who hires me for.

March 30, 2001

I have just gotten the most beautiful blood-red heart-cut diamond in the world. Now I have ten gems in all, all set and with a piece of jewelry specifically for each one. This one’s going on a chain of black gold. It’ll look so dramatic, just like the story behind it.

Well, the story behind the contract isn’t so dramatic. Just your average know-it-all rat who couldn’t quit running her tongue to the police, so she had to disappear. I like the ‘disappearing’ jobs since I get more leeway with what I get to do. This time, I got to dress up like a guy and pick her up in a bar. (That was actually kind of fun, I’ll have to do that again.) So black-haired ‘James Schmidt’ was the last one to be seen with her. Anyways, so I had gotten her to my workstation out in the sticks, aided with liberal doses of morphine, and I may have been a little high myself when I came up with the idea of cutting her up while she was still out of it. I cracked her chest open first. Seeing a heart beat and lungs expand while they’re still in the body is amazing.

Of course I kept her sedated the whole time, I’m not a monster, but it was fascinating to just watch that heartbeat right to the last as the blood drained from the rest of her onto the plastic-covered floor, dissolved most of her in acid, but kept the heart for myself and burned it. To the LifeStone people, they were the ashes of Amanda Schmidt’s great-grandmother who passed away a year ago from a stroke.

These contracts, what I get to do, is absolutely...amazing isn’t the right word. I don’t know what is but it’s beyond amazing. I didn’t realize how terrible and grey and drab I was feeling before I started working. Now I feel right. This job is the best job. And the best hobby, too.

September 18, 2006

I’m sorry I keep leaving you for so long, journal. I don’t have anything to write about, though. I haven’t gotten a contract in four years. Two years. Because some rat got caught and then turned on the guys who gave me the contracts. I guess I should be glad that I’m not in prison with them, but that’s just dumb luck on my part. It’s not like they didn’t try, but I’m not an idiot and I know how to cover my tracks.

It’s driving me crazy, just being here, existing, and kind of lonely. Granted, the people who knew me before weren’t exactly friends, but they knew me. I have new job, new house, new name, new everything. Doing computer-programming things (my new job). Going out to a bar occassionally. Netflix movies and pizza. It’s all so dull. Boring. The same god-forsaken thing over and over again. One of the big things I miss about getting contracts is being able to do something I love. The payments and getting those special diamonds definitely helped. I have twenty-nine now, and the odd number is driving me crazy. I’ve gotten one or two more gems since the contracts stopped, but I really haven’t had the money for it. I’ve just had to be satisfied with wearing my old ones. They’re nice, but it’s not like getting a new one.

Maybe, if I can save up enough, there’s this nice woman named Dana I’ve become pretty good friends with. She’s the sweetest little thing and loves to go hiking and really likes my jewelry. I like her eyes.

July 5, 2007

I went to her funeral today. The ceremony was closed-casket, of course. No one would have been able to keep their breakfasts down if it hadn’t. I may have gone a little overboard, but it had been almost three years since I’d done it, and it was so familiar and felt so good to let go again. This time, I took the eyes. I left her out in the woods so most of the trauma should look like the animals did it. Of course, I had to be super-careful with the clean up, but I think I did OK. I’ll probably move away by the end of the year though, just to be safe.

I’ll miss Dana.

July 12, 2007

I have a new diamond! This one’s colored blue and emerald cut. It’s on a pretty little silver chain. She told me that blue was her favorite color, so I think she’d appreciate it. I’m just sad that it didn’t arrive in time for the funeral. It would have been fitting.

I’m still planning to move at the end of the year, but there’s this guy, though, that I met at the funeral. He’s a real sweetheart and was very kind to me afterwards, giving me his condolences for losing a friend and taking me out for a drink. I won’t write his name (it rhymes with ‘grieve’ and starts with an ‘S’) but he likes green, and I only have one green diamond. Maybe I’ll have another one by September, I’ll have to save up for it though.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
In!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
In with another :toxx: and a request for a flash rule from Hopper and anyone else who so desires.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread