Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

It's 2014. Newspapers are still foundering on the rocky shores of irrelevance, and comics are just another crew member strapped to the mast. :toot:

Here we post, discuss, praise, mock, and edit comic strips, from the dizzying highs of classics like Out Our Way and Everett True to the nadirs of Dustin and Nancy.

Rules
Post comics. Discuss comics. Don't leave bloodstains.

Ancestors
  1. For Better or for Worse, here we go again
  2. For Better or For Worse II, The Sun May Get in 56kers' Eyes
  3. For Better or For Worse III: Who need this?!?
  4. For Better or For Worse Megathread
  5. The Comic Strip Megathread: Luann's Funky For Better Minimum Security
  6. The Comic Strip Megathread V - Just Another Uneventful Lesbian Road Trip
  7. The Comic Strip Megathread V, Part 3 - Dick and Jane Go to the Goddamn Bank
  8. Comic Strip Megathread V, Part 4: Thalidomide Theater: Day of the Jackelrod
  9. Comic Strip Megathread Part Ten: Infections and Gams... FOR ME! BARB ELS!
  10. Comic Strip Megathread Part 11: drat that's a fine elephant.
  11. Comic Strip Megathread Part XII: Reply All is the best comic in this thread
  12. Comic Strip Megathread XIII: Still can't get over it!
  13. Comic Strip Megathread XIV: Happy After Death 2013!

Resources
Get comics:
Upload comics:
Edit comics:
Match fonts:

Exemplars

(My Lovely Horse)

(Lowtax)

(R Ubbish)

(R Ubbish)

(Cortex)

(Borden/Axemaniac)

And, finally, a moment of silence for those we lost in 2013
  • Cow & Boy
  • Gil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Other comic-relevant links: pastiches and parodies (via Tiggum)

The Lovely Ladies of Apartment 3-G
Son of Stuck Funky
Reynard Noir
Scott Meets Family Circus
Luann DeGroot on Twitter
The Garbage Ape on Twitter
J Jonah Jameson on Twitter

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 4, 2014

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Getting in on the ground floor to nominate Nancy as worst strip of 2013.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'll second that nomination.

With the disclaimer that I'm referring specifically to the 'Guy Gilchrist' edition.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Between Wee Pals, The Amazing Spider-Man, One Big Happy, and Pickles, this thread is a goldmine of comics by and/or about mad old people.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I don't know, Luann's getting up there for me. The characters are so unlikable.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I feel like Nancy being as lovely as it is right now is especially bad because it used to be absolutely fantastic. I wish we could re-animate Bushmiller.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

Between Wee Pals, The Amazing Spider-Man, One Big Happy, and Pickles, this thread is a goldmine of comics by and/or about mad old people.

Everett True doesn't count?

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Thanks, Chicken of Tomorrow. :) Hopefully everyone makes it over from the old thread, I'm jonesing for a Modesty Blaise fix.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Parody comics by yours truly. My New Years Resolution is to make more I swear.

Slylock Fox

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Dustin

Norm Feuti's Nelson

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Posting R Ubbish edits without posting the Mighty Mark rap is almost a crime. Unfortunately, I can't find it saved on my laptop. I may have viewed it on my tablet instead in which case, crap.
Please tell me someone has it.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Aleph Null posted:

Posting R Ubbish edits without posting the Mighty Mark rap is almost a crime. Unfortunately, I can't find it saved on my laptop. I may have viewed it on my tablet instead in which case, crap.
Please tell me someone has it.

No way, that's our cultural heritage. I know I have it saved in like three separate places, let me start digging.

Edit: So it is. :) False alarm.

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 31, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

It's.... it's right there in the OP.

R Ubbish knows I have a deep and abiding leurve for him. If "him" is the correct term for a homunculus created out of Nat Lamp back issues and efficiently-compressed gifs.

Today feels like a Sunday, so here's The Little King by Otto Soglow.

T. Little King was originally in The New Yorker, so it might work with the universal caption.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 31, 2013

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gilchrist's Nancy is the worst. It may not actually be worse than Oh Baby or some other garbage strip in and of itself, but he is sullying a strip with obvious proven potential to actually be good.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I don't suppose there's a collection anywhere of every AxeManiac post with blurred genitalia?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guess I'll get to reposting for today. Do we need a new write up for strips this time or no? I don't think we need them.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Sex Hobbit posted:

I don't know, Luann's getting up there for me. The characters are so unlikable.

Luann is getting no better.

Pros and Cons

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm surprised the Heaven's Love Thrift Shop SA callout didn't make the OP.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

davebo posted:

I don't suppose there's a collection anywhere of every AxeManiac post with blurred genitalia?

Here you go, a collection of 2012's boners, poops and sex jokes.

http://imgur.com/a/YGxoy

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Geez, couldn't you wait until midnight or something?

Whatevs, I'm reposting here.

Thorn (July 15 and 19, 1983)

Yeah, this is pretty weird

Nina's Adventures (November 5, 1993)

THE LAST Fluff (November 26-28, 1998)

Throughout the latter 2013, I've been posting "Fluff", and, well, it's over. These are final three strips.

And how appropriate that it got posted on the last day of the year. "Nina's Adventures" did get revived in 1999, but it was short-lived. Paley ended it because it didn't attract many papers like it did before. She found solace in animation, doing numerous short films before getting famous with "Sita Sings the Blues", which gained notoriety over the use of Annette Hanshaw's music without permission (she thought they were public domain). As a result, she had to pay thousands in royalties. This incident resulted in Paley becoming an anti-copyright activist, which was how I was able to get all of her comics.

Hopefully enough people enjoyed it. I know Paley's comics (and Nina Paley herself) are polarizing.

Lucky Cow (January 29-31, 2004)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mister Beeg posted:

Like Dustin's dad, I'm working in a different time zone so I can go to bed early.

Sally Forth

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

2014, too.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
New thread already? Time to get started on getting caught up with posting comics. Probably spread 'em out across the day, though. Been a bit of a while.

First up: Jim's Journal originally ran mostly in assorted college newspapers from 1988 until it eventually stopped at some point in the early '90s; archival strips are currently being posted on GoComics three times a week each weekday. The strip chronicles the day-to-day autobiography of Jim, a young man of about twenty living in a city somewhere in America. His expression never changes and nothing ever really happens. It's great.

Tony is one of Jim's roommates. We'll meet him in person later. The implied homoeroticism in this particular strip is highly unusual, though, so don't get your hopes up.

Steve is Jim's other roommate. He's kind of a whiner. Jim worked at a McDonald's for a bit while attending college, then (we're never explicitly told, but presumably) dropped out and took a job at a book store, from which he was recently laid off.

Ruth is Jim's friend from McDonald's, where she still works. She is very large and very friendly and wants to be a dental assistant. Mr. Peterson was brought back as a kitten by Steve from a trip back home. It took several months and a neutering appointment at the vet before anyone realized she was female.

Hal is the manager at the copy shop. This is his first appearance.

That's Jim.

Flash Gordon was a science-fiction adventure comic strip that started in 1934, and adapted into three serial films between 1936 and 1940.

Mr. Peterson is a cat. Cats like sleeping in warm places such as those created by the sun shining through a house window onto indoor carpeting.

The one with the sunglasses and the striped shirt is Tony, mentioned earlier. To call a spade a spade, Tony is a douchebag.

Jim's parents divorced when he was young, and his mother was given custody. She never remarried. His father has appeared only once and I do not think appears a second time.

Jim is perhaps the single most passive being in existence.

I do not recall Dean appearing during the college strips and do not particularly feel like checking them all to be sure, but it wouldn't surprise me to find him if I did. I would be very surprised if we ever see him again, though.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
The Bus lives on forever in our hearts.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
What? New thread? Jumping the gun!!

Anyway, I post both Cul-de-sac and The Creeps
Both are fine exemplars of the craft of cartooning.

Cul de sac by Richard Thompson is the story of the Otterloop family, and generally focuses on Alice and her friends. It is funny, and weird and consistently good. It is no longer being produced and is in re-runs due to the author's battle with Parkinsons. The true tragedy is it was replaced by Mike Du Jour, which is execrable beyond excretion.

Some of the best:

The Creeps is a story of horrible people doing horrible things to each other. They are nameless, generally referred to as Fat Creep and Skinny Creep. They appear to be siblings, and the Fat Creep wears a sweater with gloves attached.

That isn't a pompadour, that's a tumor.

And, here's some edits that I've saved from last year:
(dude with the smitty avatar.)

Both by JackMcAskill, who is greatly missed.

All by Borden

This one was by me.

Axe Maniac

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Does anyone have that amazing "Mary Worth and the Counter Meddler" edit? It is my probably my favorite thing to come from any version of this thread

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bonestructure posted:

No way, that's our cultural heritage. I know I have it saved in like three separate places, let me start digging.

Edit: So it is. :) False alarm.

Sorry. I re-minimized it before it started the animation. My bad.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Oh brave new thread with such people in it. Don't really have any new edits or comics for you, just wishing you a happy new thread. :toot:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Mister Beeg posted:

Unlike you, scrub, I plan to be doing better things at midnight tonight. :pervert:

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

Does anyone have that amazing "Mary Worth and the Counter Meddler" edit? It is my probably my favorite thing to come from any version of this thread

You can only be referring to Forktoss' magnum opus, THE FINAL MEDDLE:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

But pretend I updated the thread number :v:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Leave the house for a few hours and everything moves down the street...

Skippy was created for the first version of Life Magazine by Percy Crosby and migrated to the newspaper in 1925. Jerry Robinson: "Nothing like Skippy had ever been seen before in the comic strips. It was not just Skippy’s expert draftsmanship or remarkable flair, although that artistry earned its creator a reputation as ‘the cartoonist’s cartoonist’… The brilliance of Skippy was that here was fantasy with a realistic base, the first kid cartoon with a definable and complex personality grounded in daily life." And then the peanut butter people showed up and it all went straight to Hell. (July 19-21, 1926)

Out Our Way by J.R. Williams, was a long-running bit of 1920s small town observational whimsy which really caught on during the last thread. I blame crossing guards and BOYZENDORGS. But even the things we love aren't untouchable...

(Ulfhednar)

Peanuts: Charles Schulz. A group of kids. A dog with an overactive fantasy life. After years of hit and run posting, the eternal rerun machine came around to 1966 this year (World War I flying ace! Peppermint Patty!), which seemed like a great place to jump in for the long run.

(Hamiltonian Bicycle)

According to the publicity material, Tom Batiuk's Funky Winkerbean is "a reality-based comic strip that depicts contemporary issues affecting young adults in a thought-provoking and sensitive manner." According to the experience of reading it, Funky Winkerbean is a place where joy is a temporary illusion of the young, and eventually you'll age into the dead-eyed walking wounded just like your parents. It fell off our radar for awhile, but we are all sinners born to suffer, so here it is again.

(me, just for the variety of it)

Popeye: The contractually-mandated continuing story of Elzie Segar's musclebound, spinach eating corporate trademark and his aggressively needy army of friends and family. The dailies are repeats from Bud Sagendorf, while for Sundays we've moved on to the much less exploited tenure of Bela Zaboly (art) and Tom Sims (script).

(Depressing Box)

Walt Kelly's Pogo is the tale of various swamp critters and a thick swamp talk that makes some people's eyes just slide down the screen.

Rip Haywire is the tale of a two-fisted man of action! The American newspaper market being what it is these days, that means it's a comedy! Not everybody was feeling this one at the start of the year, but then Rip ran into a giddy red-headed chopper pilot (Breezy :allears:) and suddenly we were in love all over again.

Two months ago, we found out that Cow & Boy (Or "Li'l Xavier and The Floating Death Head", if you like) was coming to a close at the end of 2013. That happened today, so you won't have to worry about it anymore, but you can't say this strip didn't die as it lived.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 1, 2014

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
We're ringing in the New Year right! :toot:

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Oh, right. I got distracted by the meddling and forgot why I actually came back here: more comics.

Ham Shears is named for an infectiously optimistic pig who moves from the farm to the big city and takes a job in a butcher's shop. I'm told the artist has a day job doing storyboards for The Regular Show, but I don't hold that against the strip. Released on a M-W-F schedule.

That's Ham in the middle, there, and I'll get to the others in due time. For now, know that the strip is just coming down from a storyline that took up 80-90% of the past year, wherein Viola, a femme fatale flame from Ham's pastoral past, showed up and framed him for a diamond heist. He was eventually found innocent, of course.

That's Ingrid in the glasses, and Jill with the anime haircut; Ham lives in their apartment. Ingrid tends to be pessimistic and easily aggravated, while Jill's character is more of a comedic straight-woman. (She's implied to be in unrequited lesbians with Ingrid, but that's not quite 100% definite yet.)

Boss is Ham's boss at the butcher's, and that's all we really know about him. Monica was introduced in the previous arc as Boss' inamorata; she was also Viola's partner, but whether Boss is actually so dense he can't read the writing on the wall or has just decided not to care about her criminal past is anybody's guess.

Side note: Boss refers to Ingrid as "Other Jill" for some reason. Despite apparently not knowing her name, he once treated her to a very romantic date, although afterwards he seemed to have had her confused with someone else at the time. That's Boss all over: just one big, muscular, phlegmatic question mark.

"Biography", on :aaaaa:&E!

That's up-to-date! And I'm left praying, praying that the next strip just skips straight to boarding. I couldn't take a month of TSA "humor". :(

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

The comic strip thread was the reason I got a sub here! Happy 2014 people and thanks for my daily entertainment!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
All these posts, and not one of you has posted the strip that defined the comic strip megathread series.

:fireman:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Darthemed posted:

All these posts, and not one of you has posted the strip that defined the comic strip megathread series.

:fireman:

I have no idea what this comic is.
Did the husband make it out ok? :ohdear:

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else
Thanks to an eventful 2013, I lost track of of comics. On the bright side, it was nice forgetting that some of these things exist, but I missed you guys! On to a comic filled 2014!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

scarycave posted:

I have no idea what this comic is.
Did the husband make it out ok? :ohdear:

Saint Michael didn't so much as get his eyebrows singed. :smugbert:

• Locked thread