Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh yes, two 20-something women living together in an apartment with no obvious male attachments, They MUST be loving.
You got it, you cracked the case. Good job, slugger.

I first started reading the comic right around the start of the arc about Boss' big date, and I thought part of the humour was that Jill and Ingrid were together. It's pretty obvious near the end that Jill has feelings for Ingrid that she hasn't confessed from the way she acts during the date and afterward.

But no, yeah, it's probably we're just ship-happy tumblrites unable to stop pairing everyone together. Mike du Jour x Picasso is my OTP, what's yours? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm glad that everyone's reintroducing themselves as I forget who we all are.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh yes, two 20-something women living together in an apartment with no obvious male attachments, They MUST be loving.

Some of the weirdos in here see lesbians in everything. Jane's World, Dykes to Watch Out For... nothing is safe.

e: searching through the Blind Date storyline, have a strip or two

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 2, 2014

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yep, the ones you did before looked a bit better. Did you change something in your method?

The problem turned out to be the batch resizer I ran that bunch through... which is weird, because it's actually the same program I use to resize them manually. :iiam:, but not really a problem, except that I'll have to rescan everything, and that's really more of an annoyance than anything.

Hmm. I think I see what you mean now, Tiggum.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Read the arc where Boss wants to take "Jill" out again.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Bitchtits McGee posted:

The problem turned out to be the batch resizer I ran that bunch through... which is weird, because it's actually the same program I use to resize them manually. :iiam:, but not really a problem, except that I'll have to rescan everything, and that's really more of an annoyance than anything.

I've been using PIXresizer for quite a while now, and it's been great. But, I've only used it to resize photographs though, not printed work.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

AxeManiac posted:

Here you go, a collection of 2012's boners, poops and sex jokes.

http://imgur.com/a/YGxoy

I laugh so much I can't even see.

It's like the sun is in my eyes.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

If there's one thing I've learned from the new thread, it's that you people post way too many goddamn comics.

All you really need is Condorito

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox is a puzzle and activity strip starring super sleuth Slylock Fox and deadweight sidekick Max Mouse and their tireless crusade for justice against raccoons, scientific advancement and honest entrepreneurship. Also arbitrating in minor civil disputes between the same handful of parties for the nth time.

I want to mention Bob Weber is a nice guy and did a comic called Oh Brother with Jay Stephens that was also enjoyed by this thread but unfortunately ended. Recently he mentioned on Facebook there's some kind of Oh Brother app coming. I don't know what that will be but I hope it means new Oh Brothers.

F Minus

Luann is making it look like Gunther and Rosa's relationship might be coming to a head, but no doubt nothing will happen. He'll do something lame to appear spontaneous and she'll stick with him.

Pros and Cons

And I don't think anyone's posted the Comic Strip Dance Party yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG1VIvldVJc

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Five pages in and all we have are Mike du Jour edits? Philistines!

Mike Du Jour

Mike du Jour is the rare triple entendre: the main character's name, the artist's own name and an honest description of the strip. "Like the freedom of a chef designing a menu every day based on what's fresh, MDJ is whatever fresh idea I can cook up," he says.

Mike (the character) is an autobiographical composite. He's "a combination of Walter Mitty, Buster Keaton and moi. He's single, a bit of a loner and a situational counter-puncher, heavyweight division".

Mike works in a generic office environment known as Big Bottom Line Inc., and since he and his co-workers don't have enough problems, they invent them. "Office work is boring," says Lester, "or so they tell me."

From the artist himself:

"Put a kid in a room alone with nothing but pencils, paper, his own imagination and you get me.

By normal standards I should be an anti-social home pest exterminator by day and WWF fan by night. But I'm not. I'm a cartoonist and for two reasons: I could not hit the curve but I could hit a nerve.

I am classically trained to be able to find the classical station when I need to. Beyond that, I've been making it up since I was in that room alone.

Truth is, God was in there with me just like he is today and we've managed to knock out some pretty decent work in a number of different areas working with some incredibly talented people and for some great clients.

There are more wooden plaques on the wall than I ever imagined. All of them spelled my name right and frankly, I deserve them."

Mike Lester is also an award-winning editorial cartoonist (syndicated by the Washington Post Writers Group) and commercial artist.

2000 National Cartoonist Society: Best Book Illustration
2004 National Cartoonist Society: Best Advertising Illustration
2006 National Cartoonist Society: Best Book Illustration
2008 National Cartoonist Society: Best Book Illustration
2010 National Cartoonist Society: Best Book Illustration
2003 Georgia Press Association Designer of the Year
2007 and 2010 recipient Sigma Delta Chi Award for editorial cartoons given by the Society of Professional Journalists.
2009 Reuben Award from the National Cartoonists Society for work on the children's book Cool Daddy Rat.
He also authored and illustrated "A is for Salad" a New York Times best-seller.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Marmaduke Circa 1968

Marmaduke is a giant hound from hell that when he appeared in 1954 was a terror to everyone including his "owners". The years have not been kind to this demon dog and as time passes his overwhelming evil becomes ever more blunted and the strip is doomed to the realm of a zombie-comic about dorgs (and in the most milquetoast way possible).

The 1968 era Marmaduke still has moments of diabolical evil, but more and more it is simply a comic about a big dumb dog.

meh.

meh.

There's the old killer canine!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Monty

Monty is an American comic strip created, written and illustrated by cartoonist Jim Meddick. Monty spoofs suburbia, trashes tacky TV shows and offers absurdest commentary on everything from hosing down spider monkeys to the latest conspiracy theory. Monty Montahue, the brainy, bumbling bachelor who's unlucky in work and love, is the star of the strip.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

You have killed me. I am dead, and it is because you have killed me.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

The sign says "Point Resolve", suggesting that that's Opus' list of New Year's resolutions.

Calvin And Hobbes

B.C. is about post-apocalyptic cavemen, super-intelligent ants, and the fragmented remains of religions which pre-dated the great bombs.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

:aaaaa:

Marmaduke

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

Classic Prince Valiant

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pooch Café is a comic strip about an allen key-shaped dog who is just a real rear end in a top hat. What a super dick this dog is, you don't even know.

He is mean:

He is dumb:

He is greedy:

He is Poncho. The thread first met him during Poncho: Year One, a retcon-filled look at his origin story. And I do mean origin. The first week of strips takes place in utero.

Ballard Street is a daily strip that offers glimpses into the lives of the insane people that live on a quiet suburban street. In practice, it reads like a man having a new yorker caption contest with himself and losing.

Natalie is in a loveless relationship.

Earl is a patriot.

Donald is OG.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm really enjoying how everyone in the current Phantom story immediately realizes what's going on, and he still thinks he's pulling the caper of ages. First thing the reporter thought of was that he poisoned her and now she's like "yeah that was pretty stupid of me" and Phantom himself probably just thought "ugh this rear end in a top hat again, I did not have the time for this today."

Even that Bandar with the bow is probably thinking "yeah whatever Rick, last time I even lent you the cab fare back to town, never gonna see that again am I."

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fok_it

There's a lot of onomatopoeic words in Finnish. For some reason, the language just easily affords them - to the point that you could pretty much make up words of your own and the chances are you'd still get understood. They can be problematic to translate, especially when the local words for shivering, shuddering, fluttering and whatnot can also be interpreted as various kinds of intuition or foreboding.

So I ignored it and went for a lame Facebook pun instead.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Well, Valiant's about to get into some real trouble. That goose skin mask must smell rank, too.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Martians

Moominmamma. :3:

So thread, more help required:
I've got access to the first 3 collections, meaning that I have the stories:

1 - Moomin and the Brigands
2 - Moomin and Family Life
3 - Moomin on the Riviera
4 - Moomin's Desert Island

5 - Moomin's Winter Follies
6 - Moomin Mamma's Maid
7 - Moomin Builds a House
8 - Moomin Begins a New Life

9 - Moomin Falls in Love
10 - Moominvalley Turns Jungle
11 - Moomin and the Martians
12 - Moomin and the Sea
13 - Club Life in Moominvalley.

Bold are ones I'm sure have been posted, Italic ones I'm not sure.
( For example, I think my avatar game from 6 - Moomin Mamma's Maid, but I'm not sure. )

I also think Moomin and the Sea's been posted, with the ghost, and Moominpapa trying to be a writer.
" No writer should be encumbered by such trivia as practical detail" :3:

I'd appreciate some help in nailing down which have been posted, and which haven't, yet.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 2, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Der Shovel posted:

Fingerpori is a daily comic strip from Finland which I originally started posting here some four years ago because the strips often featured characters like Spider-Man and The Phantom, both of which the thread had previously enjoyed. It turned out that the thread equally enjoyed the comic's weird pun-based humour and unique Finnishness. Classics like Viperless Milk (sadly lost to me, does anyone else still have a copy?) are still remembered to this day.

"Ugh, what a price!"
Back home:

Jarla really nailed the atmosphere of the setting somehow. I read an article about the strip's history a little while ago and Jarla himself described the Fingerpori as an "East German Duckburg". It resonates so well in the public consciousness because post-war pre-80s Finland was closer to being an agrarian Soviet satellite than we'd like to admit.

He also owns at drawing badly (Gary Larson is still the world champion, I think) and his reliance on crude, offensive puns & knock-knock jokes really takes the piss out of the whole concept of newspaper funnies. Jarla has been celebrated for his contributions to the field of terrible jokes.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

SubNat posted:

MOOMIN STUFF! :allears:

Just off of the top of my head, Club Life in Moominvalley was at the top of the last thread. I want to say the one with the gloomy maid was somewhere in there, too, but it's been awhile.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

scamtank posted:

Jarla has been celebrated for his contributions to the field of terrible jokes.

Don't forget his skill at drawing phantom slash art.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The single funniest Fingerpori, even more than the viperless milk or the cavalcade of train jokes, is the strip that reveals that the Phantom's chair is the lair of a tinier mouse Phantom.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm really enjoying how everyone in the current Phantom story immediately realizes what's going on, and he still thinks he's pulling the caper of ages. First thing the reporter thought of was that he poisoned her and now she's like "yeah that was pretty stupid of me" and Phantom himself probably just thought "ugh this rear end in a top hat again, I did not have the time for this today."

Even that Bandar with the bow is probably thinking "yeah whatever Rick, last time I even lent you the cab fare back to town, never gonna see that again am I."

I hope this is the lead-in to another story where the Phantom relentlessly owns some schmuck for a couple of weeks. Normally that sort of thing is boring, but for some reason the Phantom team is actually really good at those.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

:woop: Tracy gives us a late Christmas present!

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Those pie-eating contests are harsher than what they show on TV.

Pibgorn

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hägar the Historically-Accurate Viking

I post these sometimes. Here are the others.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

:aaaaa:

Monsters!

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

I fell behind in the thread early last year and never bothered to catch up. So far the best thing I've seen as I get back into the swing of things is that Dick Tracy's biggest fan(boy) is still around.

Blackjack :allears:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

:allears: Happy 2014, everybody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Those pie-eating contests are harsher than what they show on TV.

I like how there's no blood on his clothes. The horrors of war apparently just gave him a rash.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Dewgy posted:

I like how there's no blood on his clothes. The horrors of war apparently just gave him a rash.

Did Brooke really do that? I mean, blood from a shot to the head doesn't work that way.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Completely legit, I think he just exploded out of something or got tossed or whatever? He's "grievously wounded" by photoshop's masking tool, not getting shot in the head.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Cornered

I wouldn't say completely senseless.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Spider-Man (Nov. 02-08, 2008)

Psst! Spidey! Did you forget that you were still handcuffed?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Aardmania posted:

Spider-Man (Nov. 02-08, 2008)

Psst! Spidey! Did you forget that you were still handcuffed?

Let's see, spiderman is found knocked out, in handcuffs, with all of the loot missing. Yup, he is obviously the primest of suspects.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mr. Maltose posted:

The single funniest Fingerpori, even more than the viperless milk or the cavalcade of train jokes, is the strip that reveals that the Phantom's chair is the lair of a tinier mouse Phantom.
I disagree, and offer this as evidence.

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010
Charles Addams did comics for the New Yorker from the 30's to the 70's. He mixes horror and comedy very brilliantly, and some recurring characters in a creepy family were eventually made into the famous Addams Family. I'm posting panels sporadically in no particular order, from the collection My Crowd. I'm not really adept at scanning and resizing, so be sure to click through for the bigger, cleaner images. (Also, I plan on rescanning some I've already done when I get the chance)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

I disagree, and offer this as evidence.

Needs a train.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (July 26-28, 1926)

:patriot:PEACE IN OUR TIME :patriot:

For those of you with sharp eyes, Corey Ford was a freelance writer and humorist.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

goatface posted:

Needs a train.

Does anybody still have the link to the site with the animated train comic that has Sabre Dance playing in the background?

• Locked thread