Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Ah, so it was, indeed, a rash. :v: Also, that pistol doesn't look much like a Luger to me.

Seriously. The Luger is one of the most iconic firearms in the history of the world. I'm sure most people here would be able to draw a reasonable approximation from memory alone, but Brooke? Nope, he turns in ... whatever the gently caress that loving this is. And is that a trigger guard or a wedding ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Mike du Jour

Marmaduke circa 1968

Monty

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fok_it

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

I have to assume this refers to the Iran-Contra scandal, since the timing (early 1987) seems about right for continued fallout from that affair.

Calvin And Hobbes

Back In The Day looks like something from the back-pages of Nickelodeon Magazine a couple of decades ago.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Just because he's going along with it doesn't mean Linus can't ladle on the drama. (January 6, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Just about what you would expect. Popeye's granny is Popeye in a dress, so Popeye's pirate ancestor is a peg-leg Popeye with better hair.

Rip Haywire

Pogo, in which the caucus disintegrates into back-room maneuvering. (January 6, 1956)

Out Our Way (March 5-6, 1924)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

My new year's resolution is to post comics

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Man, I like Kadaver and Blackjack, I'll be sad to see either of them go. Kadaver brought a dude pizza instead of killing him and Blackjack is just perfect.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I know it's his chin but it just looks like he has this tremendous mustache.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Somebody try and tell me that Fok_it wasn't better in the old days. Go ahead and try. It's really Changed Seats Comix.

Pooch Café

If you're new to this strip, this is the titular Café. Don't expect to see it very often.

Ballard Street

Every party's got one of these. A good host will seat them in an armchair next to the dog. The shy guest gets to connect with something, the dog gets a night of free head scritches, everybody wins.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Potato Jones posted:

Man, I like Kadaver and Blackjack, I'll be sad to see either of them go. Kadaver brought a dude pizza instead of killing him and Blackjack is just perfect.
Kadaver didn't leave a body, so I'm willing to put 'secret escape tunnel at the bottom of cement pool' as a possible out. Or hell, he's a special effects man, why can't he be a Houdini fan too? And Blackjack's possibly the safest a villain can get in Tracy, so long as he avoids becoming TOO noble and sacrificing himself to save an innocent or something. If you don't commit unspeakable acts, you can't die ironically as a result of your own evil!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Mr. B The Heartbeat Man Saves The Day

The world would be kindly if we would all do as you, and made our own little corners of it more beautiful.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Potato Jones posted:

It's a comic strip. Unless we see a body, he's fair game to reappear somewhere down the road. Out of the Tracy villains we have hanging around now, both BB Eyes and Mumbles were "killed" at least once before. (If we do see a body, there's still plenty of ways around that.)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I know Mike du Jour is awful. I really do. But this one just gets under my skin. I could believe he didn't know what a "new years resolution" was until the last panel where it becomes obvious he does know and it just becomes an aggravating exercise in wanting your cake and eating it too. It would've been a better comic if the last panel was just left off entirely and the guy was just an rear end in a top hat like all the other MdJ characters.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
In case anyone's curious to catch up and not slog through ad-filled websites, I've been archiving The Phantom and Rip Haywire offsite:

Rip Haywire: http://haywire.h-domains.com
The Phantom: http://phantom.h-domains.com

The Phantom strips are organized by story, while Rip is organized by month. I started collecting the latter just to try and make sense of the haphazard plotting, but it's grown on me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Discussion On The Nature Of Time And Masks

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ghostlight posted:

I disagree, and offer this as evidence.

Some of my favorites:

edit, this one is also really funny to me:

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 3, 2014

SlimWhiskey
Jun 1, 2010

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (March 5-6, 1924)

Elf Dakin is just the weirdest recurring character. At first he was just kind of fat, but his gut is consuming his entire body. Starting at the neck, there's just this perfectly round belly. At least Everett True is round all over, Elf just has this weird hemisphere where his chest should be.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Only mom-approved books Gil.

Retail

:lol: at Cooper acting like some kind of retail Casanova. The only way I see to salvage this mentoring relationship they have going on is if Donnie starts following Cooper's advice and everything going horribly wrong.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

"When I said something that would get Karl to enjoy winter I didn't expect you to actually give him something that would get him to enjoy winter."

Dustin

Saw the punchline coming from panel one. You need to do better, Steve Kelley.

On the Fastrack

Uh, why? There is such a thing as caring too much about your job.

Safe Havens

I have to imagine that a good percentage of people who see Holbrook's comics on any given day have no idea what the hell's going on.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Der Shovel posted:

Seriously. The Luger is one of the most iconic firearms in the history of the world. I'm sure most people here would be able to draw a reasonable approximation from memory alone, but Brooke? Nope, he turns in ... whatever the gently caress that loving this is. And is that a trigger guard or a wedding ring?

It's obviously a novelty gun-shaped grenade.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The luger wasn't the only German sidearm of WW II but it doesn't look like any of the others either. Basically Brooke doesn't care.

That Fingerpori luger in the ss driving gag is well rendered and so was the Out Our Way 1903 Elf was shooting (thanks Cyrano4747 for the positive ID).

edit: badly formed url tag. Mi scusi.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 3, 2014

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Enjoy docile Modesty while you can dude. The real thing won't be as nice!

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

SlimWhiskey posted:

Elf Dakin is just the weirdest recurring character. At first he was just kind of fat, but his gut is consuming his entire body. Starting at the neck, there's just this perfectly round belly. At least Everett True is round all over, Elf just has this weird hemisphere where his chest should be.

Elf Dakin has a severe, undiagnosed case of Hirschprung's Disease.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Someone was posting Pyton in the last thread (thank you!). Was that all of them? :)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (July 29-31, 1926)

From the short list of things a parent never wants to hear a child shouting from another room.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Nipponophile posted:

It's a comic strip. Unless we see a body, he's fair game to reappear somewhere down the road. Out of the Tracy villains we have hanging around now, both BB Eyes and Mumbles were "killed" at least once before. (If we do see a body, there's still plenty of ways around that.)

For those of you playing at home, Mumbles has been:

-Stranded on a life raft in the middle of the ocean for days
-Punctured same raft and drowned
-Fell out of a helicopter and drowned in a swamp*
-Fell out of the top story of a luxury hotel**

Mumbles can not, will not, die.

* He used yoga to fake his own death
** He landed in a pool, because by that point bodies of water owed him one. Also, this was Mumbles' "Clone", 'made' by Dr. Zy Ghote giving Mumbles plastic surgery because ???

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That guy looks like a drat cyclops.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I like this Compu-Toon.

F Minus

Luann

I don't even know.

Pros and Cons

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Green Intern posted:

That guy looks like a drat cyclops.

This is how I see him:

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Great work on the tie there, Greg!

And for that matter, the shirt as well.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Holy Molé
Here's another comic that I sometimes post. Holy Molé (pronounced "moley") is a comic strip by Rick Hotton that appears in numerous newspapers, magazines, and online publications. It's basically zen in comic strip form. The titular character is a mole who goes on a spiritual journey for enlightenment. Other characters include a wise old turtle, a cat who likes to lie around, some penguins, and others.

TL;DR version: It's a zen comic.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Artsygrrl posted:

Someone was posting Pyton in the last thread (thank you!). Was that all of them? :)

That was Woebin and he stopped because of depression.

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Saw the punchline coming from panel one. You need to do better, Steve Kelley.

It's because he's not writing from the heart. If he steers back to constant sniping at Dustin, the gags will be as sharp as ever

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

I have to imagine that a good percentage of people who see Holbrook's comics on any given day have no idea what the hell's going on.

Hey, that black cloud seems to follow directly under whatshername, and passes directly through whosit's trapeze (lol), yet the final panel clearly shows that the ceiling is not high-enough for her to walk under him!

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 4, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

God this one sets me off every loving time I see it :allears:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- It's a pity I can't ride my bicycle in the slippery winter...
- Sure you can, with studs!

The word for tyre studs is nastat, which also means thumbtacks or pins. Moreover, the adessive case (-lla) translates differently to English depending on where and how it's used: nastoilla can mean "with studs" (instrumental use) or "on tacks" (position, on top of something).

As an aside, it always feels a little weird to change the Finnish passive voice into active in English. It feels like they're too forward. I wish "one can't ride one's bicycle", "sure one can!" were normal speech.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 4, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Goddamn Gunther sucks

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

tiistai posted:

As an aside, it always feels a little weird to change the Finnish passive voice into active in English. It feels like they're too forward. I wish "one can't ride one's bicycle", "sure one can!" were normal speech.
"It's a pity (nonspecific)you can't ride a bicycle", maybe?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Zereth posted:

"It's a pity (nonspecific)you can't ride a bicycle", maybe?

"It's a pity a bicycle can't be ridden", if you want to get technical. But yeah. I just don't like you-passive.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Yes, the Three Cocks elementary school has different teachers for each subject. Of course. Good one Gilchrist.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
When I went to public elementary, we did for some subjects. We had homeroom, then math and reading we'd test for ability levels at the start of the year and then go to a different classroom for those subjects. Pretty sure science and history and whatnot were in homeroom though.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Nothing huge for a Friday night, but pic related. I like Paige's color artwork. She just posted this on her FB page:

Kind of epitomizes life in NE Ohio this coming week. 30s over the weekend... -11 to -15F Monday night. Whee! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Blhue posted:

When I went to public elementary, we did for some subjects. We had homeroom, then math and reading we'd test for ability levels at the start of the year and then go to a different classroom for those subjects. Pretty sure science and history and whatnot were in homeroom though.

Interesting. Do you mind if I ask where?

• Locked thread