Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
It's amazing that I can hear still hear that sentence exactly in Judge Doom's voice. God drat was that guy creepy. Now you all can all enjoy his voice!:unsmigghh:

E: Since I never got to, I'd like to thank Benny the Snake for posting Seuss's wartime cartoons, in the last thread, that was absolutely fascinating. I'm disappointed that Seuss stopped at January 1943, I was looking forward to seeing 1943-1945 as drawn by Seuss.

E2: Seventy loving years later and these cartoons are still relevant today.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Day by Day 2014!

A swear word!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He's onto the feminist unfair "flannels are gay" law that the matriarchy were drafting up, everyone run for the hills!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
New Rall cartoon!

Or not...

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
Ramirez 2014:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Ramirez's OP summary should consist solely of "DEBT"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone have his cartoon from last new year's? I suspect its the same thing.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Mister Beeg posted:

New Rall cartoon!

Or not...

You are getting so good at being lovely

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Mister Beeg posted:

New Rall cartoon!

Or not...

:eyepop: 2014 is looking pretty good already

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i saw the antifa dog made it into the OP so here's to 2014

happy new year

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
Here's my favorite Rall cartoon. It says all you'll ever need to know about the man.

Here's to another year of dreck!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Okay, are we sure that snafu isn't a parody?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

Okay, are we sure that snafu isn't a parody?
I thought someone said snafu is a a pay someone to draw your cartoon type thing so it could be anything.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I feel like whatever it is SNAFU deserves OP status.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm not a prolific editor, or even a great one, but while we're posting edits, I must say I'm still proud of this one from the last year:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

I only started with this thread a couple months ago, but already I can feel myself slipping into the abyss. Here is a thing I did:

I sincerely hope you stick around because this was brilliant.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

i love nick anderson i don't care what you all think

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

XyloJW posted:

You are getting so good at being lovely

The good lovely or the bad lovely?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
New year, new thread.

Can we get Jack Ohman added to the Grand List of Cartoonists? Not only is he a talented cartoonist with good views, but he's probably the only one out of all these hacks to actually get the target of his ire to pay attention to him:

quote:

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Gov. Rick Perry said Friday he's disgusted a California newspaper ran a cartoon that depicts him boasting about booming business in Texas, then shows an explosion, a week after a fertilizer plant explosion killed 14 people in a Texas town.

Perry said he wants an apology from the Sacramento Bee on behalf of the town.

The cartoon in Thursday's edition shows Perry crowing that "Business is Booming," flanked by signs saying "Low Tax!" and "'Low Regs!" It's a play on the Republican's often-repeated mantra that his state's low-regulation, business-friendly climate has its economy humming.

The next panel reads "Boom!" as a blast engulfs the area behind the governor and his signs.

An April 17 explosion in the town of West, which is outside Waco, left a crater more than 90 feet wide and is estimated to have caused more than $100 million in damage. The blast occurred moments after a fire was reported at the West Fertilizer plant.

Ten of the people killed were first responders who rushed to the nighttime blaze.

In a letter to the Bee's editor, Perry said it "was with extreme disgust and disappointment I viewed your recent cartoon."

"While I will always welcome healthy policy debate, I won't stand for someone mocking the tragic deaths of my fellow Texans and our fellow Americans," Perry wrote. "Additionally, publishing this on the very day our state and nation paused to honor and mourn those who died only compounds the pain and suffering of the many Texans who lost family and friends in this disaster."

President Barack Obama was among those who attended a memorial service for the explosion victims Thursday at Baylor University in Waco.

The Bee's editorial page editor, Stuart Leavenworth, responded Friday that the artist, Jack Ohman, "made a strong statement about Gov. Rick Perry's disregard for worker safety, and his attempts to market Texas a place where industries can thrive with few regulations."

"It is unfortunate that Gov. Perry, and some on the blogosphere, have attempted to interpret the cartoon as being disrespectful for the victims of this tragedy," Leavenworth said. "As Ohman has made clear on his blog, he has complete empathy for the victims and people living by the plant.

"What he finds offensive is a governor who would gamble with the lives of families by not pushing for the strongest safety regulations. Perry's letter is an attempt to distract people from that message."

Ohman defended his cartoon with an Internet post, noting that the fertilizer plant "had not been inspected by the state of Texas since 2006" and that many "Texas cities have little or no zoning, resulting in homes being permitted next to sparely inspected businesses that store explosive chemicals."

"My job, as I understand it, is to be provocative," Ohman wrote. "I provoke, you decide. I don't dictate, I put out my opinion along with everyone else. I sign my name. I own it. In my opinion, I could have gone further. Much further."

California has seen Perry's touting of his state's pro-business prowess firsthand. In February, a public-private Texas marketing firm ran radio ads featuring Perry denigrating California's taxes and regulation, and then Perry traveled there to recruit jobs. He made a similar trip — this time backed by a print-media ad buy — to Chicago this past week.

Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, also a Republican, called for Ohman to be fired.

"I think it's reprehensible for a member of the media to sit in safety and mock such a profound tragedy regardless of any 'point' he is trying to make," Dewhurst said.

Perry, meanwhile, wrote that the newspaper "owes the community of West, Texas, an immediate apology for your detestable attempt at satire."

Ohman posted that he had received "varying levels of concern about the cartoon depicting Gov. Rick Perry's marketing of Texas' loose regulations, juxtaposed with the explosion of the fertilizer plant in West, Texas," but that he would draw the cartoon again without thinking twice.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/04/26/5375185/gov-perry-weighs-in-on-texas-explosion.html

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

crowfeathers posted:

i love nick anderson i don't care what you all think

Holy poo poo I love it, thought it was a Luckovich for a second.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

It's always really great seeing all these best hits and edits at once.

As an OP note, the BSS comic strip thread has also been re-created for the new year, so you might have to replace a few links: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598988

All of the historical retrospectives people started in the last thread are already finished, sadly. Thanks to everyone that put together something, especially the Dr. Seuss Goes to War series. *
I checked my hometown library archives for interesting cartoons and found a few, but that library didn't have a digital scanner and the films were scratched. The local newspaper was small enough they just syndicated everything from the Washington Star, so I might look for those archives later. I'd encourage other people to try their papers, if just because it's interesting to see what's changed and hasn't over the decades.

Edit:
*Looking through my saved stuff, there were a lot last year. Horsey, Sargent, and MacKay, plus the various 2008 election ones.

Possibly the most representative cartoon of last year:

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 1, 2014

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
Tinsley 2014 (minus two weeks):

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

poo poo, I gotta jump on this while it's still on the ground floor. I bookmarked the last thread late last year and I've only managed to read through it to August! Is there even any point to trying to actually read through the whole thing?

Also that skeleton frat party edit is amazing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is Tinsley a loving Luddite or something? Seems like it'd go a long ways towards explaining his obsession with selfies.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

OldTennisCourt posted:

I love this edit so drat much.

I missed or forgot the original version of this, could someone post it? I've started a folder that I'm saving all of these in. At 2:30 am... On New Year's. :negative:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Simon Draskovic posted:

I missed or forgot the original version of this, could someone post it? I've started a folder that I'm saving all of these in. At 2:30 am... On New Year's. :negative:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

He's just a cantankeous old man. Thus, when young people do something dumb, he gets obsessed/upset -- not because it's especially dumb, but because they're young. He sees himself as the Old Man Old Year, and he's terrified about what his replacement Baby New Year will do once he's gone. Of course he relieved that terror with humor, and of course it's not humorous to those of us who aren't afraid of the young.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 1, 2014

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Is Tinsley a loving Luddite or something? Seems like it'd go a long ways towards explaining his obsession with selfies.

In case anyone forgot, Denmark's Prime Minister took a photo of herself with Obama and David Cameron at Mandela's funeral. Because it was a potential line of attack, the GOP message machine jumped on it, and Tinsley, being the rear end end of the machine, is delivering it to us, past expiration and almost completely without context. If you're hooked into the GOP machine, then "selfie," like "Bengazhi" and "Umbrellagate," triggers the "Obama Bad" reaction, which is really all that Tinsley, Ramirez, and co. set out to do.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So THAT'S where "open the bloodgates" came from! I'd always wondered...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Every time I look at that, I can't help but laugh at the elephant ushering all the terrified old people and babies to safety.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

This reminds me; we are in for a year of no Asay in 2014. Of course, Sanfusnafu is on board now so I guess we'll never really get ahead.

Also loving "stem cell research" go to Hell, Asay.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Save us from the euthanasia! We don't want to die gracefully at a time of our own choosing! Anything but that!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Mr. Magoo, what are you doing in Israel? And why are you in drag?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Is this some sort of pun about "cutting ties"? But it's Edward Scissorhands/Mr. Magoo crossover fan art... I'm so confused.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
For me, :tinsley: is the worst cartoonist of the bunch. Everytime I think I've seen the last of the latest right wing meme, drinky duck comes along to run it into the ground for another few days of torture.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Precambrian posted:

In case anyone forgot, Denmark's Prime Minister took a photo of herself with Obama and David Cameron at Mandela's funeral.

It was a festive memorial, not a funeral. Yet another way that Tinsley's cartoons on the subject are utter poo poo.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

This is a collective edit from one of the old lf threads. Tinsley has a thing for dickchins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

For me, :tinsley: is the worst cartoonist of the bunch. Everytime I think I've seen the last of the latest right wing meme, drinky duck comes along to run it into the ground for another few days of torture.

For me it's Kirschen. It's not even the dogshit art, more how he seems so loving cheerful while saying the most horrible things. I can at least ignore blatant racism from right wing artists because it comes from hate and fear but Kirschen just seems so happy and almost smug about how all those Palestinians are so [i]onvioudly[/] inferior.

On the other end of the spectrum Horsey is my favorite. I just adore the way he draws faces.

• Locked thread