Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay

Cabbit posted:

That baby clearly comes from the same part of the Middle East as White Jesus.

No you see babies are born white by default and only turn brown when they're corrupted by evil muslim gay commie terrorists. That's why Jesus was white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

Can someone explain why suddenly the Sochi olympics are TERROR CENTRAL?

Because Russia is sort of in the crosshairs of a lot of groups pissed about it's behavior in the autonomous Republics (it always has been really) and after the successful attacks in Volgograd in December things are in quite a tizzy. Plus Sochi is geographically really close to a lot of those cauacasian regions that are wracked with conflict.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This seems relevant. From the 2014 thread.

These are wonderful :allears:

Nothing says COMMUNISM like a Pterodactyl

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

crowfeathers posted:

Well there was in fact a terrorist attack there recently.

So it's basically A Thing Happened.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

crowfeathers posted:

Because Russia has a problem with separatist terrorism, the separatists tend to be Muslim, and there was recently a pregame bombing from such a group.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

crowfeathers posted:

There were recently a string of threats to various governments such as Hungary from terrorist groups in the Caucasus.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Poor dude just can't get enough postahol...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
That Fitzsimmons toon speaks to my soul

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

YEAH THAT'S RIGHT GET OUT YOU MOTHAFU...

Oh wait, uh, bipartisanship yaaaaaayyyy no problems!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Stultus Maximus posted:

Because Russia has a problem with separatist terrorism, the separatists tend to be Muslim, and there was recently a pregame bombing from such a group.
Basically the fact that Russia is holding the games at Sochi in the first place is a pretty extravagant display of nationalist dick-waving on the Russian government and Putin in particular's part. Sochi is just a few hundred miles and one province away from Chechnya. My name is JT Jag and I never stop posting.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 23, 2014

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Now in color:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Hm kid, on the other hand you're a literal baby who doesn't have any studies to show, maybe shut up and walk the dog"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Noice

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/09/world/americas/brazilian-state-in-spotlight-after-gruesome-prison-video.html

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

What.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

What?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

¿Que?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Q'est ce que?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Что?

tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay

Che cosa?

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Ramirez needs to chill out. Maybe smoke some legal weed or something.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

ما؟

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

何?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Knock it off.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Holy poo poo, that's an awful story. I'm guessing the lady is the governor of the province, what's with the lobster though?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

colonel_korn posted:

Holy poo poo, that's an awful story. I'm guessing the lady is the governor of the province, what's with the lobster though?

Apparently she's been using public funds to buy metric fucktons of luxury food rather than, say, prisons that don't make Thunderdome look like Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The dude has to be trolling. I can't find any other explanation how he could possibly shoot down a comparison between alcohol and weed by saying weed causes brain damage.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Sochi is also in Krasnodar Krai, which is pretty close geographically speaking to Dagestan and Chechnya, the twin epicentres for the Chechen seperatist movement. Pretty good chance to grab the world's attention.

Cabbit posted:

The dude has to be trolling. I can't find any other explanation how he could possibly shoot down a comparison between alcohol and weed by saying weed causes brain damage.

Maybe Ramirexz is under the impression that alcohol is perfectly safe with no ill effects. Could explain some things. Maybe we need a new :tinsley:

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 23, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I like how we're seeing more and more unfiltered GIS backgrounds in DbD. It's a really stark reminder that he is moving at top speed away from any chance at legitimately being published again.

EDIT: haha who am I kidding that hasn't stopped other professional cartoonists!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cabbit posted:

He just wants to remind his reader base that Obama smoked weed in college.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Plague of Hats posted:

I like how we're seeing more and more unfiltered GIS backgrounds in DbD. It's a really stark reminder that he is moving at top speed away from any chance at legitimately being published again.

EDIT: haha who am I kidding that hasn't stopped other professional cartoonists!
I kinda like this game:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

He's not even looking in the mirror. Come on, Muir, you can do better than this! At least pretend to care about your art!

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

That kind of distance between the toilet and sink seems like the kind of luxury I could get used to

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Pththya-lyi posted:

He's not even looking in the mirror. Come on, Muir, you can do better than this! At least pretend to care about your art!
Maybe... we are the mirror, and as he looks at us, we look back at him.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

JT Jag posted:

Maybe... we are the mirror, and as he looks at us, we look back at him.

But which of us is the abyss, and which the gazer?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Little Blackfly posted:

I seriously don't understand Rall's point here. The US should have used the TPP negotiations to ban finning worldwide? It should have backed out and let the finning continue regardless? It's like the one issue in the TPP that wouldn't make sense to criticize the US or Obama on, unless Rall thinks Obama should be strafing Chinese and Korean fishing boats with drones or something.

Some notes on the TPP that make Rall's critique even more ludicrous: The TPP doesn't include China. A large part of the point of it is to pull countries in the region out of China's sphere of influence, and make them more likely to follow international norms of legislation, as well as cooperative in current international agreements (including, say, banning shark finning. This is why the TPP probably has various benefits to corporate actors- it's to induce them to get their host countries to sign on and generally move away from following China's much more disruptive/destructive approach to international legal practice.

A caveat- I haven't studied the leaked TPP draft itself, just the academic literature on its intended effects. Given that the first google result for TPP is the EFF's opposition page, I probably would support the TPP out of spite if it gave companies the right to purchase the souls of orphans anyways.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Yeah, this is what I thought about Marijuana when I was a stupid dumb baby too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

colonel_korn posted:

The funny thing is that even if marijuana does cause brain damage, that's also true of alcohol and nicotine (and even sugar for that matter), so Obama would still be correct.

Also holy poo poo his cursive/CAPITAL LETTERS thing is even more obnoxious than usual in that cartoon.

Both of the UCLA studies (the nicotine and sugar links) have massive validity problems and are being inflated by those articles, which are basically advertising press releases. Just to start, analogy to humans from animal models on this kind of research is massively irresponsible without better etiology documentation. Nicotine probably does cause brain damage, sugar almost certainly does not in any meaningful way.

Research on medical outcomes of marijuana is extremely difficult because the substance is banned, but it contains carcinogens in fairly high doses-although exposure rates to those substances are difficult to compare, since, few pot users don't have a pack-a-day habit and, again, research is difficult. I'm not immediately aware of good research showing direct brain damage caused by marijuana- the clinical harms that I object to are behavioral/mental in nature.

Edit: Whoops! I thought the one implying the kid was brain-damaged was the real deal, and I switched to the color version of the true comic without noticing the difference! Nothing to see here folks! Aside from the basic rule of not trusting UCLA study results. It's one of several universities that herald every .8 alpha result as the cure for cancer.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 23, 2014

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

Wow, that is an incredibly mean-spirited cartoon.
Actually the first thing that came to mind for me is the implied argument that alcohol doesn't cause brain damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Another Mad Magazine strip that Ted Rall drew. From #457 (September 2005)

• Locked thread