Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Ahahaha, the douchebag in question is in the comments with a "There's too much free speech!" post. This is gonna be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Thanks for not jumping on me about this- the last time I effortposted on addiction research/policy I got a lot of :smug: talking points from folks who pretty clearly didn't know confidence intervals from casuistry ethics. I don't wanna derail the thread again- maybe messages?

I'm more annoyed at this "everyone who disagreed with me in that last discussion was an idiot and a jerk" poo poo than I am at the derail.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

smilingfish posted:

What the Christ is this? Did Stantis/Allie have a stroke before they wrote/drew this cartoon? (or after? :pervert:)

I posted about the artist before. It's Sarah White, who was friends with Stantis's son. She drew for the strip before.

She has her own strip here.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

ryonguy posted:

Ahahaha, the douchebag in question is in the comments with a "There's too much free speech!" post. This is gonna be hilarious.

To be fair pretty much everyone in that comments section is a douchebag. None of them know why the owner cut the trees down on his property but they sure do love to bitch and speculate about it.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Republicans posted:

To be fair pretty much everyone in that comments section is a douchebag. None of them know why the owner cut the trees down on his property but they sure do love to bitch and speculate about it.

Oh to be sure the comments about a trivial local issue are going to be filled with dipshits, but him posting 100-level legal rhetoric about why someone's opinion means he deserves 25 grand is just the corn kernel on the comments turd.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Internet Webguy posted:

Take away the obvious labels and bigotry and this could be a sub-par Bennett.

So... the terrorists are the champions of their countries?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Yeah good point Todd, and furthermore governors declaring states of emergency is dumb too. I mean its not like when you're a governor or president, declaring these things frees up resources/cuts through red tape or anything :rolleyes:

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

"So I've finished the cartoon, but I don't think people will understand what it's saying unless I relate it to them with a wordy metaphor. I better use an old philosophical question in the metaphor to make sure people know that I, Ted Rall, am super smart. God I'm smart"

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

XyloJW posted:

I'm more annoyed at this "everyone who disagreed with me in that last discussion was an idiot and a jerk" poo poo than I am at the derail.
Seeing as the discussion is happening in this thread, it makes no sense to spell it out as it's already heavily implied anyway.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Why is he holding that one piece of paper to his head?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

isildur posted:

Swan Oat posted:

Is there a reason that Ramirez draws halos around all of his characters? I don't know anything about drawing or illustrating. I mean, I gather it is some kind of flaw in his technique, but I don't understand it.
He has no ability to use line weight to distinguish foreground from background, and his backgrounds are a crosshatched mess. The halo lets you actually see the characters, instead of playing 'Hidden Pictures'.

One of my favourite things about previous threads is when people who know how to draw (or otherwise know what they're on about) decide to take apart cartoons with a crowbar. I'm just an untrained, uncultured idiot so I can say "Hold on that's not what a human face looks like" or "That isn't even a metaphor for anything, shut up" or "What the hell, why are my eyes bleeding", but it's great to see people breaking down exactly why cartoons are as incompetent and incomprehensible as they are. Previous threads have had people break down lines of action, perspective lines, anatomy and other stuff that my brain just processes as "What the gently caress is this poo poo" without any clear idea of what actually is so broken.

Okay, sometimes it's so obvious that even I can see it at a glance, like Rall's pitiful attempt to draw a desk from above. Or sometimes it goes wrong and we end up talking about weathervanes. But it's still great to see people showing exactly why a cartoonist really shouldn't have a job at all.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

It's alright, once Smithers finds his glasses he'll help Mr. Burns release the hounds and then Springfield will be saved.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Livingtrope posted:

I'm not so sure he's "holding" it exactly; it seems to be more stuck to his hand. His tiny, tiny hand.

quote:

Stannis wants to slap simplistic labels of good and evil on things and is upset that anyone would dare suggest it's not just that easy.

Considering I haven't seen any bad guys doing anything in this strip, a meeting to determine what the gently caress they're doing exactly doesn't seem like a bad idea.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

As a LGBT southerner (from McKee's Georgia to be exact, though I'm in the ATL), I'm so amused at this cry-fest over Cuomo making an entirely accurate statement about wingnuts' election chances in New York. Tell you what, McKee, how about I lobby the Georgia General Assembly about how we should legalize gay marriage, because other states have done so. I guarantee I wouldn't get 20 seconds into the debate without some jawly, paunchy, pudgy, pasty rep from Deliverance County talkin' wise-like 'bout how we don't do that kinda stuff in Jawja, ya hear.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Historically Muslims always treated madmen reasonably well, so this is probably true.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

Livingtrope posted:

"OK - OK, it's a drought." *opens envelope* "What did the stubborn Dust Bowl farmer say after he milked his cow and powdered creamer came out?"

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
What happened at the olympics that's making everyone draw bombs and targets and other round threatening objects in the rings?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Rhinoceraptor posted:

What happened at the olympics that's making everyone draw bombs and targets and other round threatening objects in the rings?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599044&pagenumber=101&perpage=40#post424784521 and the next/last 3 pages.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The harm of a legalized substance can be partially mitigated if we can direct public policy efforts toward susceptible populations- so knowing that a set of markers makes some populations vulnerable to alcohol addiction allows you to do things like more easily justify banning alcohol sales on tribal lands, to raise something that came up in the thread earlier.

This smacks of scientific racism/paternalism, right? Or am I misreading this specific point?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Rhinoceraptor posted:

The Olympics are held geographically close to unstable Russian provinces with separatist terrorist movements that have already committed successful attacks at the end of last year. Conveniently for American cartoonists, the Chechen separatists are predominantly Muslim.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zelder posted:

This smacks of scientific racism/paternalism, right? Or am I misreading this specific point?

According to Wikipedia, white people have higher alcohol tolerance and there appears to be a genetic link. Discendo Vox seems to be confusing banning the sale of alcohol to tribal lands with the sale of alcohol on tribal lands. Besides, there's a lot more than just genetics that contributes to the high rate of alcoholism among Native Americans.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yes, I aware. I was legimately interested in what Discendo Vox was trying to say, but now that he's clarified I probably shouldn't have tried to argue. Sorry, I'm done here.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Nah, it's all cool.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

After reading this comic, I honestly have no idea how much Todd knows about Star Trek.

Considering the races he has in his quotas, I'm going to go with not much. Or to give benefit of the doubt, nothing after TOS.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Zelder posted:

The development of fermentation is actually a pretty huge driver of human evolution. Populations that have had alcohol for long periods of time have a decent number of genetic markers that appear to have undergone selection. It's kinda correlated with the development of agriculture, though not entirely.

So yeah, there is pretty good evidence that some populations are able to metabolize alcohol better than others.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There have been several of these by now... what's the news item here?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

alnilam posted:

Andrew Cuomo said a thing, which is clearly the exact same thing as xenophobic exclusion because it hurt conservative feelings a little.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/22/governor-cuomo-extreme-conservatives-have-no-place-in-new-york.html

quote:

But when Gov. Andrew Cuomo suggested on a public radio station on Friday that “extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault—weapon, anti-gay…have no place in the State of New York” it set off an uproar on right wing radio stations, blogs and Twitter feeds.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ah yes now I'm sure those conservatives know exactly what it feels like to be a marginalized, sometimes criminalized outsider in our society.

Also wait are they really, really pulling the "statue of liberty welcomes all" card? The same artists who probably want zero immigration (unless those immigrates are european and already highly educated)?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

*stretches* All right, what do we have today?

NOOOO! BENNETT! WHY!??!?!

"No you idiot, I'm having a heart attack! *gasp, wheeze* Call an ambulance!"

"Global warming? DOH!"

This isn't political at all but I don't care because I hate Captain & Tenille.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Boy do I wish it were Halloween so I could phone it in and recycle a couple of monster drawings and put labels on 'em. Ah, gently caress it, who says I can't?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

OBAMACAREWERE (WOLF) (WILL ATTACK KILL POOR TEENAGERS (FORCED TO NECK IN ABANDONED PARKING LOTS BUY INTO IT (BECAUSE OLD PEOPLE NEED THEM TO))) (BY DEATH PANELS)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eschers Basement posted:

OBAMACAREWERE (WOLF) (WILL ATTACK KILL POOR TEENAGERS (FORCED TO NECK IN ABANDONED PARKING LOTS BUY INTO IT (BECAUSE OLD PEOPLE NEED THEM TO))) (BY DEATH PANELS)

Somebody needs to warn JRR that someone's broken into his Pun Depository.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Penalty! Roughing the blockhead.

Putin's giant fingers.

Syrians looooove death.

What have all those researchers with peer reviewed studies been smoking?

gently caress it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Peace Sells

But Who's Buying?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Internet Webguy posted:

gently caress it.

Zero percent of this is actually drawn. Muir puts out more effort than this.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Rebochan posted:

*stretches* All right, what do we have today?

This attitude is the left's equivalent of ARGH THOSE NEWFANGLED LIGHT BULBS and pisses me off. Yeah, industrially-processed foods are never going to be as nutritious as fresh, and they tend to taste worse too, but it's not like this is getting WORSE with time. Most of the developments in food processing go toward generally making a fresher product (with many of the rest going toward completely new techniques like "melting cheese" aka Velveeta, invented by those Cheese-hating Swiss). A Hungry Man frozen dinner ain't exactly a bowl full of sunshine, but it's a drat sight better than salt beef and hardtack. The problem isn't that processed foods exist or how they're processed, but that they're often much cheaper and more convenient than fresh foods, and that they're processed versions of foods that are pretty bad for you in the first place. Keebler cookies aren't really any worse for you than homemade Tollhouse cookies.

As much as I love the term "Pasteurized process cheese food product," I realize it's called that for technical reasons and not because OMG IT'S SO MODIFIED THAT IT'S LEGALLY NOT FOOD AND NOT EVEN GERMS CAN EAT IT.

There's plenty to criticize the food industry for, but "it processes foods at all and uses scary names for processes and ingredients" is bullshit . If I were to remake that cartoon, I'd do something like put a ball and chain on each leg, one a can of soup and the other a hamburger, and have a ladder with a kitchen at the top and a couch in front of a TV or something. American attitudes toward food (ew, prunes!) are a lot more destructive than anything the industry puts in their products.

And don't get me started on the MSG and HFCS hysteria. :mad:

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Internet Webguy posted:

Syrians looooove death.

Assad's going to be pissed when he finds out a skeleton stole his Syria jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stultus Maximus posted:

I can't tell if this is more stupid or just differently stupid.

Wait, this is an actual strip? That was published in actual newspapers? I thought you were just posting erotic furry fanart for some reason.

• Locked thread