Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

See if you can spot a significant difference between most cowboys and the current president of the United States of America.

How do they feel about Cowboy Curtis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWI-5b2MHNI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Murdering civilians is cool if you're on my side.

This is pretty close to the AGCest cartoon I've ever seen.

Yes, Kerry should very rightly have condemned the firebombing of Dresden. It was a pretty hosed up terror campaign against civilians. As for Hitler's fictional peace proposals? I dunno, maybe should've taken them?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The fact is the line between Random Jewish person/Zionist colonizing force is well known to the Palestinians, whether or not the distinction is apparent to the west.

Is it well known to and taught by Hamas though? In the American Jewish community, we're taught that they teach that all Jews are responsible for Palestinian suffering and should die or something bad like that.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pretty good for a Rall. My only question is why "a mile away?" Because the IDF is a lousy shot?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
That makes sense, I guess. Wish it was explained or shown better.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

What

No, really. What does this mean?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've been bored lately so welcome Harry Harrison of Hong Kong's South China Morning Post back to the thread:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Harry's been focusing mostly on local Hong Kong issues that nobody here will care about lately so I decided to pop over to the Taipei Times and see what Taiwan's premier English language newspaper has to offer in the way of editorial cartooning:

I am very thankful for Harry and his clone army right about now.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hey Bloodnose, I missed the HK/China Comix.

Then do me a favor and explain this "can't handle" meme because I don't remember it from before my exodus from the thread last October.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Is Gilbert Gottfried the Cheshire Cat now?

Anyway have some more Harrys that require little to no explanation.

On Chinese official corruption:

Chinese President Xi's anti-corruption campaign was launched with the idea that it would catch "both tigers and flies" in the party, meaning high and low ranking officials alike.

On Nick Clegg:

On Skull Thrones:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

I really don't get this Harry. It went with this article about the Islamic State planning to attack Asia. So why is the cartoon talking about the Middle East? C'mon, Harry.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
It seems Robin Williams is most remembered in Hong Kong for his role as Peter Pan, which I don't even remember:

Cuson showing off his awesome painting skills

Not sure which cartoonist this is, but he's another Peter Pan.

Now for some politics. Hong Kong politics is getting really hot right now because the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress is set to present the reforms for Hong Kong's 2017 Chief Executive election at the end of this month. It's going to be the first election where the CE will be chosen by universal suffrage. Hong Kong's Basic Law, its constitution, mandates that the candidates be chosen by "a broadly representative nominating committee." So the question is whether or not that nominating committee will be a bunch of communist stooges who stack the deck so only Commie-approved candidates can win, like Iran's Guardian Council.

If the NPC Standing Committee's proposal proves undemocratic, as it probably will, a pretty sizable group of dudes have vowed to launch a civil disobedience campaign starting with a sit-in to block the roads of Hong Kong's central business district, cleverly called Central. The movement is known as Occupy Central.

This comic shows a dude labeled "White Paper" making GBS threads on the Basic Law. The White Paper started off this electoral reform season and was Beijing's first such paper on Hong Kong and its politics. It reiterated a bunch of stupid things about how the Central People's Government is king in Hong Kong and can take away Hong Kong's autonomy whenever. One of the scariest things in the White Paper was a bit about how "loving the country" or "patriotism" was a basic prerequisite for being a judge in Hong Kong. That massively undermines Hong Kong's judicial independence and is a really weird thing to say in this place where everything is common law and it's a constitutional requirement that half the judges here come from the British Commonwealth (i.e. they're white people who aren't even Chinese citizens).

Mainlanders and their poo poo are a common theme in Hong Kong polittoons. I think this is Lau Kong-wah, Undersecretary of the Constitutional and Mainland Affairs Bureau, saying "You Hong Kongers have passed up Grandfather's golden opportunity!" This has been the HK government's line on the election reform. That even if it's not the ideal level of democracy, you better take it now or give up on it forever. Sometimes called the "pocket it first" talking point.

Cartoon from some New York Timesy guy.

"Hey Kongsy, you're making Universal Suffrage Soup?"
"You need to use this recipe I wrote."
"Mr. Commie... Actually..."
"You haven't made a single bowl of Universal Suffrage Soup in 60 years. Why should I listen to your secret recipe?"

And let's finish up with Harry's fat cats, my favorite fat cats:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
That may be the worst case of Dry Bones Eyes I've ever seen.

edit: on the other hand, Kirschen is at his best when he's making inoffensive Yiddishkeit and Judaism jokes. I've legitimately laughed at some of them before.

Still, the world would be a better place if he just died already so I'm not going anywhere near that Haggadah.

edit2: Shabot 6000 is a webcomic that accomplished that much better and with much better art, but appears to have died in 2008. I used to read it in college.

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 14, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

KJU without his skull throne. I feel cheated.

"I want universal suffrage!"
"Might as well eat you sooner!!!"

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Hopefully the one black guy who reads IBD will sue the publication for promoting hate speech. Ramirez belongs on Stormfront, not in the press.

I think he's enough of a conservative poo poo to honestly think "I'm a minority too, so it's not racist."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Brb, printing and marketing cursive "Loot" hats.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I approve of animated political cartoons. These will look good on futuristic newspapers.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
No. Everyone who wins Pulitzers is bad.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

The dude's placard says Xi Jinping (should be obvious) and the tiger's says "Corruption" (maybe less so)

Harry doesn't work Sundays so here's a Taiwanese comic called "People 2" that was shared on my usual HK polittoons Facebook group.

GOKU'S GIZMO

HAPPY FATHER'S GAY

Aww how sweet.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

This might be one of the best drawn cartoons I've seen from this thread in a while.

Yeah I actually thought it looked pretty good when I spotted it on the polittoons Facebook group. I hunted down the source and it's a guy named Wang Jinsong (I guess that signature says Wang. Looks more like Meng but here we are) drawing for the Yazhou Zhoukan, a Malaysia-based Chinese newsweekly owned by the same group as the liberal HK paper Ming Pao. Here's some of his other good-looking work.

Label: Zhou Yongkang

"Mideast Tunnel" and Obama's holding a map labeled "Mideast Policy"

"AIRPORT"

"Ukraine Policy"

"PALESTINE"

"Self-Defense Forces"

"Xi Jinping Visits Seoul" and the guy blowing his top is labeled "North Korea"

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

MisterBadIdea posted:

Petition to begin applying "ANY DAY NOW" meme to impeachment

I thought Hillary was the rabbit. Is the rabbit Obama now? Or is Hillary getting impeached?

Occupy Central is a threatened act of civil disobedience. Beijing is announcing the reform plan for Hong Kong's 2017 election by universal suffrage. Pro-democracy dudes have said that if the plan fails to meet international democratic standards, they will lead a sit-in and block the streets of Central, Hong Kong's aptly named central business district and government hub.

Beijing is terrified of that idea and has been leading a hugely organized and well-funded but arguably sparsely-supported campaign against it. The anti-democracy crowd had an anti-Occupy Central run, followed by a march to Central on Sunday. They expected 10,000 people for the run and got 880; they expected 250,000 for the march and got 110,000. Both are by police counts and they look extremely dubious because:

The image on the left shows a July 1st pro-democracy march that the police counted at 107,000, versus the supposed 110,000 anti-democracy march on the right.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

The government just proposed a non-means tested retirement subsidy for the elderly of HK$3000, or about US$400 a month. The government says it deliberately made it too small for anyone to live on because... I dunno, I guess they don't want freeloading old folks? Also, first appearance I've seen of more than two of Harry's drunk Fat Cats at once.

Return of Fatguy/Skinnyguy/Crow. Mainland officials are meeting democratic lawmakers for the first time in as long as I can remember, to discuss the 2017 universal suffrage election.

That election is probably going to suck and these guys are going to end up being gatekeepers to nomination.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

What? Is he buying the weapons from Syria who is also death incarnate?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Met posted:

Was it intended to supplement lovely retirement plans or is it honestly a case of "loving freeloaders :argh:"

It does supplement the Mandatory Provident Fund, which is a thing where you're legally obligated to take five percent of your salaried income and put it in a private mutual fund (I've had them with Hang Seng and AIA, for example). The Mandatory Provident Fund funds always have significantly higher management fees than non-mandatory mutual funds and as far as I can tell are yet another handout to the finance industry here.

What's more, the MPF was only established in 2000, so most of the people over 65 today have gently caress all in their MPF accounts.

edit: I just noticed Harry used the wrong who's/whose in that comic. Unless it's a British English difference.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Didn't we already see that?

Rorus Raz posted:

I still don't know what to think of this ice bucket poo poo.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

I don't recognize this cartoonist. His comic looks like an unfinished Asay piece.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
So I guess The Andy Griffith Show was the only television show to ever portray policemen, right? That's why he's literally the only character we're seeing pop up in these cartoons?

Not the slightest clue what this is about.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

Just wondering what ever happened to the cute comic with the self insert artist and his office worker wife?

Since cuson started his "My Hong Kong Girl Wife" series and became a super mega million billionaire off the theme of his wife being a self-absorbed materialistic bitch, he hasn't done quite so much politics and I haven't been following Mary & Paul. But for this thread's sake, I'll take a look and see what he's got. Fun thing, though, I actually got drawn into his latest "My Hong Kong Girl Wife" book:

It's a pretty terribly unflattering drawing of me and he can't seem to resist drawing me with a hook nose for some reason, despite me not having anything close to resembling one. I don't follow the My Hong Kong Girl Wife series so I didn't hear about this until I just happened across cuson doing a book signing in a mall. He got all excited and came up to show me the comic. I told him it wasn't a very flattering drawing, so he went ahead and updated it for me down there, adding like 6 more chins. Thanks, dude.

Anyway, the biggest news of the week was the MTR, Hong Kong's mass transit railway, killed a dog. They had a report of a stray dog on the track, they held the trains for five minutes to try to find it, then gave up. Hours later, the dog's corpse was found on the tracks. This spurred the entire city into hysteria:

"Would it have been that hard?"

And the political version:

The angry brown guy says "I'll jump down and save him!" Commie guy says "You all just stand there. Don't occupy the tracks." And the pale white guy who is obviously Chief Executive CY Leung says "Protect dogs, oppose violence."

Mary & Paul:

Iced lemon tea please
-We're out of iced lemon tea
Okay, iced milk tea please
-We're out of iced milk tea
Okay so what iced drinks do you have?
-We're out of iced drinks
Those guys bought them all.

AND FINALLY... IT WOULDN'T BE HONG KONG POLITTOONS TIME WITHOUT poo poo COMICS

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Don't worry Bloodnose, I think you're beautiful. Does the dialogue actually amount to anything, or is it just equivalent to "hey, it's a white dude!"

The punchline is that cuson is whiter than a white guy, which is true. If he didn't have black hair and normal eyes, I'd think he's albino. The guy is white as a sheet.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

"What is that man doing to his anus?"
I don't recognize the guy on the left, I think he's the Financial Secretary John Tsang. The middle is the Chief Executive CY Leung and the far right is Hong Kong's Golden Bauhina statue, but made out of butts and poop. It's where they always have government ceremonies, especially with mainland officials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bexXei-vPkI

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Hahaha are those loving Digletts?

I think you'll find they've formed a Dugtrio.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Your response to seeing people talk about something related to the Yiddish language on the Internet is to dash in and find the loosest possible segue to making them defend Judaism on the grounds that it is a racist religion which necessarily led to Israeli war crimes due to some Deuteronomy passage, then refuse to actually discuss the original topic of conversation when called on it. But hey, enjoy that moral high ground, buddy :buddy:

I'll teach you some more Yiddish. zeal is what we'd call a "nudnik."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Maybe it flows better in Portuguese but boy that comes off as lame in English.

Also don't cold-blooded things fear temperature extremes way more than warm-blooded things?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

itskage posted:

I mean you can use whatever meaning of cold blooded you want, but don't pretend like we're not intended to read the common phrase "cold blooded murderer" as anything but "cruel and unfeeling".

Unless you are genuinely asking, in which case I don't know :(

Yeah it's just really lame for Latuff to do an "a thing happened" ice bucket comic when he's usually got such incredible hard-hitting propaganda images. "Ice buckets are a thing, also Bibi is still evil." Not to mention the extremely shoehorned link between the two here.

Hong Kong comics time

Wang really likes his grim reapers, doesn't he? "Conflict" on the left, "Ebola" on the right.

This one appears to be not from Hong Kong, but it was shared on the HK polittoons Facebook group and looked cool.

The knife is the National People's Congress and it's cutting up True Universal Suffrage.

"Yes, the house isn't exactly perfect, but just live in it for now and if you have any problems with it, we can work them out later."
It's a reference to the Hong Kong government's talking point that Hong Kongers should just accept Beijing's "stacked deck" election system for now and work toward real democracy in the future.

I didn't know what this one was about so I looked it up. Seems really hosed up:

SCMP posted:

Villagers in Lantau destroy mangrove in bid to halt 'protected status' plan
Dozens of villagers in northern Lantau chopped down a mangrove near an ecologically sensitive bay to protest against a government move to zone areas on the edge of villages as protected land.

But indigenous villagers of the San Heung community, which includes Pak Mong, Ngau Kwu Long and Tai Ho villages, fear their rights to farm and build small houses will be restricted if the restrictive development plans are agreed to.

"Step by step, the government has been depriving us land owners of our rightful use of land, which was originally designated for agricultural use," the community said in a declaration in which they also demanded to meet the development and environment ministers.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Hamas Executions

He should add facism to the list of tags.

Fuckin facists.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I feel like this one is ripe for edit. I haven't thought it out just yet, but there are lots of people/things/abstract concepts this thread would enjoy seeing tricked into driving off a cliff.

THIS WEEK IN HARRY:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hong Kong just exploded. The Standing Committee of the National People's Congress released their reforms for Hong Kong's 2017 elections, the first to happen by universal suffrage. I'll spare you the details, but the result is that Beijing will pick all the candidates (only two or three will be allowed). It will be functionally identical to Iran's electoral system. The democrats are mad. Protests have already begun. Civil disobedience leader and academic Benny Tai has declared an "era of civil disobedience" in response. Here's the cartoons just from today:

"One country, two systems"

"Enter here to elect your chief executive"

You can probably guess what's going on here. "We present you with these three choice candidates from which you will choose. We whole-heartedly respect public opinion, and your chief executive will govern to the best of his ability."
The three candidates are all "running dogs" and their policies are the same things worded differently. Except policy number four, which are all exactly the same "turn Hong Kong redder."

I did a double take because I thought this was Latuff at first glance. They're democracy protesters camping outside government buildings.

The title of this cartoon is 緊箍咒, the "Ring Tightening Mantra." If you're a super nerd, you'll know it as the spell that Xuanzang uses to control Sun Wukong (the Monkey King) in Journey to the West. Here, the communist is using it to control Hong Kong and is reading out of the Book of National Security and burning Hong Kong's constitution to power the spell.

"Terrorist!"

And your Harry on democratic development:

Finally, Harry on an American issue:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hong Kong has common law and half the judges are from the Commonwealth. All but three of the judges on Hong Kong's highest court are non-Chinese dudes from the Commonwealth.

They'd have to do some really insane martial law type stuff from which Hong Kong would never recover to pull off that kind of crackdown on Hong Kong's democracy movement.

Also no death penalty here.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hong Kong. China has like superdeathpenalty, no questions asked.

ThirdPartyView posted:

So, an average day of Chinese 'justice'?

Yes but not Hong Kong justice. Hong Kong has a famously independent judiciary, excellent rule of law, a powerful Independent Commission Against Corruption and lots of other stuff that make it Not China. The reason everyone's been freaking out in the last year or so is that China is increasingly making Hong Kong (Not China) look more like itself (China-China That Is China).

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

ThirdPartyView posted:

Don't really see what would stop China from just saying "Welcome to Mainland China, folks!" and flip the switch, eliminating the judiciary, executive, etc overnight.

The UK has some responsibility to get indignant about that. China is extremely touchy about the implications of the Joint Declaration and repeatedly insist that it's not a treaty and that the UK has no right to do anything about anything.

That's of course setting aside the obvious issues with Hong Kong having a relatively huge proportion of western nationals and businesses among other things.

The last reason why China is extremely unlikely to absorb Hong Kong anytime soon is because the party elite themselves use it to launder money and jack up trade figures like nobody's business. The status quo is quite convenient for them, except the liberal democracy parts.

ThirdPartyView posted:

They've done it plenty of times before.
Like when? Aside from the founding of the People's Republic and I guess the annexation of Tibet, China has never flipped a switch and changed a government overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
That is probably the best drawing Yaakov has ever done.

• Locked thread