Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rorus Raz posted:

JJ is sad about Canada.

Oh come on JJ, you can't draw a caricature of Hadfield without putting a guitar in there somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Monkey Fracas posted:

I know it's cliché at this point to make fun of the whole "if global warming, why cold?" thing but "if global warming, why Antarctic exist?" is a whooollle new level of dumb.

A hundred or so years from now when the last of the sea ice has melted and all coastal cities are flooded someone will say "Well then why can't I swim in the arctic ocean without freezing to death? Checkmate libs :smug:"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Is there even a point to this? Because film companies have filmed in places other than Hollywood for decades.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Spiffster posted:

What kind of bone could you have to pick with Bill Nye?! :suicide:

Do you really need an answer to that? He believes global warming is real

He also made a video comparing creationism to child abuse, but I doubt even Stantis/Allie are so conservative as to be offended by that notion.

Edit: beaten

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

This could do with just the elephant holding the trans-vaginal wand, but then again it looks more like an electric toothbrush or hair curler to me so I understand why he felt he needed to explain it

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

tifosibella posted:

Bad news, there's at least two, and I'm pretty sure there's more than that. The one that I'm most familiar with is near Dinosaur Valley State Park in Texas where they get a kick out of forging human footprints and trying to pass them off as having been made at the same time as the dinosaur footprints in the limestone that are actually real. :smith:

Actually those footprints are real, the thing is they only look human if looking is all you do. Do any number of serious testing and suddenly they look very dinosaur-like

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Ryan and Boehner are on Muir's RINO shitlist, and the latter at least has been there for some time. I think Ryan said something not-entirely-terrible about immigration reform at one point, which is what got him cast into the outer darkness.

Yeah even Ramirez thinks Ryan is a RINO at this point and he's the shillingest Republican shill to ever shill for the Republican party.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Internet Webguy posted:

Horsey knows being denied a shiny statue by Big Award Show is the worst kind of persecution.

Alone Yet Not Alone got nominated for best soundtrack through some blatant cronyism and backroom dealing but let's be honest here, Frozen is the only one in that category that matters and the rest could be picked from a hat for all anyone else cares.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

"Why do all those 'wetlands' need water? I got a swimming pool to fill up."

Pools, golf courses and immaculate lawns. We waste a lot of water

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

loquacius posted:

I think that's supposed to be orange juice, but I'm going to invoke (my broken understanding of) Death of the Author and say that yes, he is having a shot of whiskey with breakfast.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Varvel was still banging that "Obama had orange juice instead of coffee once, ELITIST SNOB:argh:" drum for all its worth

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

cafel posted:

Rich people like having their opinions repeated back to them.

Like he's straight up published in the Investor Business Daily.

Investor's Business Daily's entire philosophy is to pay people to make articles or cartoons with the message "Democrats bad" and occasionally "Republicans good" No one who paid for a subscription to IBD will cancel because they think it's blatant conservative propaganda that insults their intelligence and plays cheerleader for the worst poo poo imaginable. Neither talent, legitimacy or comprehensibility are required, only the ability to regurgitate Fox News talking points

Naturally, Ramirez makes a decent living as their staff cartoonist.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Swan Oat posted:

Isn't Muir usually posted by now? :saddowns:

Didn't he say he was taking today off to protest the NSA or something?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Now suck my dick.

Muir does realize a Mexican said that right? I mean if someone tells him that he's not going to melt like his Mitch McConnell caricature is he?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I am aware of the name as an artist, does he have abhorrent political views too?

(and I swear I'm not into that)

I'm pretty sure the guy's a hardcore Objectivist, or at least has very strong Libertarian views.

(and I'm not into that either, I just read the terrible webcomics thread)

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sir Rolo posted:

"Bimbo eruptions"

Wasn't it proven that Kathleen Willey told several blatant lies to the people investigating her claims of harassment? Just stick to Monica next time.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Kurtofan posted:

Tell me this isn't about climate change.

"Why would we trust scientists when they talk about climate change? Scientists once believed the sun revolves around the earth and that tomatoes are poisonous"- A legit talking point that's been around for a while.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Not all of those mushrooms are poisonous, and in fact some of them are medically beneficial. The Arab Spring has had many consequences, good and bad. AGC

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm just shocked Muir is pro-protesters, he knows they're mostly a bunch of filthy poors who want a government with a strong support network and all right? Or did he hear about the fringe nazis and go "I AM SO IN" right there?

He heard that poor white people were protesting their government and went right to "Tea Party"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sir Rolo posted:

jesus gently caress my eyes

I love how he quotes Spike Lee's line about Clarence Thomas* as proof of liberal racism even though he probably sees nothing wrong with calling me a bad white man for voting Democrat.

*At least I think that's the quote. He picked the absolute worse text/background combination.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rorus Raz posted:

I almost want to say he is referring to Alex Jones, Lord of Conspiracy, but Muir can't be that out there...can he?

He once did an entire arc inspired by the Joshua Hakken story, you tell me.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

pd187 posted:

I totally adore Luckovich to death but I'm not sure this metaphor is the slam-dunk he thinks it is.

Yeah it needs a previous panel showing the elephant fawning over the strong leader asserting his dominance over Europe and enforcing family values. Then it's historically accurate and apt.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

MisterBadIdea posted:

Eh, hard to get upset about this one.

Wait didn't they lose their potential third kid to a miscarriage? Seems rather dickish to say something like that to your wife after that.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Redeye Flight posted:

In short, anyone who cites how left-wing and communist the European fascists' policies were is being hideously disingenuous. They did implement such policies, but Genghis Khan's government was a fuckin' meritocracy too.

Genghis Khan was also one of the first leaders to believe in freedom of religion and I'm quite frankly amazed* no one in the religious right has tried to tie that to his more brutal acts of conquest.

*Not really, asking them to crack open a history book is too much to hope for

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

change my name posted:

Okay gently caress I just skipped 2500 posts because I knew I'd never catch up otherwise. What's the title referring to?

Tinsley did a comic about the bakery that refused to bake for a gay wedding by saying "WELL WHAT IF I GO TO A MUSLIM BAKER AND ASK FOR A BACON FLAVORED BOURBON CAKE HUH?" Which had about a million things wrong with it so we laughed and cried and the title got changed as a result

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

MisterBadIdea posted:

Yes, of course they laugh at their own jokes. A bunch of Gone with the Wind references, and the only setup for that was Zed calling Sam "Scarlet Minx," and the only prompt for that was Sam saying she needed to comfort her sister.

By the way, how did he miss the most obvious Gone with the Wind reference, "I don't know nothin bout birthin' no babies"?

Wouldn't surprise me if he's never seen it. It is not the first time Muir referenced POPULAR THING while knowing nothing about it

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Mordiceius posted:

I can make literally zero sense of this. And where the gently caress did that baby come from?

"Democrats are the real slaveowners because they keep black people on welfare" is an actual talking point that's been floated around Muir's circles for a few years. Beyond that I'm just as lost as you

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

computer parts posted:

There's a pretty big environmentalist message in it.

Oh and one of the main "bad guys" literally has all of his lines derived from lines of the Bible attributed to God.

Plus one of the main themes of the movie is that even if you hear it straight from the source God's word can be misinterpreted, which is what usually separates creationists from the saner religious community.

And the opening scene is a dramatization of theistic evolution.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Samurai Sanders posted:

I had to check to see that there actually was an animal by that name. Poor false killer whales, why don't they even get their own name?

I don't know what he's going on about concerning them being missing or whatever. I didn't know we were whales' babysitters.

Every now and then an endangered species turns out to have greater numbers than originally anticipated. When that happens there's usually five or six pieces by noteworthy conservatives with the subject "IN YOUR FACE HIPPIES" because they live in a world where that is a net loss for people who dedicate their lives to saving wildlife from extinction.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Shugojin posted:

What fresh madness is this?

Seriously what the hell is he on about now.

The truth: This thing

The short version: The EPA experimented on 81 people (With their informed consent) to examine the long term effects of diesel emissions and other junk we put in the atmosphere four years ago. A recent internal report from the EPA admits that a few safety protocols could have been improved upon to make the experiments run a little more smoothly

The :freep: version: EPA IS SACRIFICING PEOPLE TO GAIA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 4, 2014

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

joeburz posted:

Jesus will vaporize you aboard hijacked airplanes?

I think we're supposed to believe the rapture happened the exact moment the plane got hijacked. Because God will kickstart the apocalypse at the exact moment you feel personally inconvenienced, it's one of the perks of Christianity :v:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

This is distressingly lucid and clear for a Muir cartoon. Minimal attempts to be witty and no dogwhistles, just straight-up "Do what we say or we'll torture you to death"

Also the Inquisition is chump change compared to pre-Christian Rome and what it did to political/religious prisoners.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

So wait, did Muir just admit that everything conservatives love about Putin is a carefully marketed image to appeal to the masses? I mean yeah that's common knowledge but it's not something a guy like Muir would readily admit to.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Lycus posted:

I don't think it was gay groups that were even responsible, the truth should be even less offensive to conservatives. I think it was:

-New Mozilla CEO donated money to stop gay marriage
-Mozilla employees express outrage, and say that he doesn't well represent the company. Some resign in protest
-Not wanting to cause more internal chaos in the company, CEO steps down

Of course, the people complaining about this don't care about the principle of the matter. They just want to hate gay people.

It wasn't just that he donated money to an anti-gay marriage campaign, he donated money as "Brendan Eich, employee of Mozilla" Spend your paycheck however the gently caress you feel like, but claiming to represent your company when you do so is a good way to get fired no matter the context.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

This will tease us with the possibility of Muir going full crazy, then pull back at the last second, probably employing a deus ex machina. Just another comic by Muir

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CampingCarl posted:

I am no expert on ATF operations, but I am assuming they don't normally surprise people with a MRAP unless you have already demonstrated that they are completely nuts and would use explosives against government agents, in which case it is hard to not side with the government.

It wouldn't surprise me if Muir thinks putting landmines on your lawn is a 2nd Amendment right that Obama took away recently.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The idea that an oathkeeper would be privy to a raid on Muiry Sue's house and be able to get a message out to him without anyone stopping them is hilarious to me. Their members don't exactly hide in plain sight and it would be pretty easy for that branch of the ATF to cut the known Tea Partier out of the loop before they raid the anti-government crazy's house.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pththya-lyi posted:

Here's the other thing, Muir thinks that James Bond is an objectively good model of manhood. When Daniel Craig came out with his anti-sexism ad, he drew a comic where Zed punches Craig/Bond and berates him for betraying his sex by doing wimpy poo poo like take orders from a woman.

Not Zed, he drew Sean Connery Bond doing it because of the man's known and well documented opinions on domestic abuse.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

buttshapedlocket posted:

If you want to read something about a crazy person in a crazy world you could read so many good comics that aren't racist garbage traced from photos but you consciously choose to read Day By Day!

I read because you'll never see a more complete portrait of the modern american far-right. An old white man who blames everyone but himself for the total failure that is his life. The schadenfreude will never stop appealing to me.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

"Constitutional sympathies" :suicide:

EDIT: beaten rather hard.

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 12, 2014

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CampingCarl posted:

I think he has used this exact APC before.

Now I know next to nothing about military vehicles not covered in World of Tanks but that's not even an MRAP is it? Just a regular APC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

McDowell posted:

Who is John Galt Cliven Bundy?

The best part of the Cliven Bundy saga to me is that if we lived in a Libertarian paradise someone would have shot him dead for getting cow poo poo on their land without permission in less than a week instead of waiting a decade and a half for him to pay a fine and then deciding it just isn't worth it.

• Locked thread