Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Afraid of Audio posted:

Livingtrope posted:

I think Taylor Jones may be attracted to Christie cicadas.

Ya hosed up (you linked to the Imgur page, not the image itself), you want:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

XyloJW posted:

Wow, look at the attention to detail! He drew every single curve of the United States correct, from the birdfoot of Louisiana to Pugett Sound to the upper peninsula of Michigan!

Don't forget the giraffe's head that is Maine or the fact that the gulf coast looks like it's still the trigger from one of his Gunmerica cartoons.

(Alternatively, Maine has annexed a large portion of New Brunswick. Good for Maine.)

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

XyloJW posted:

If I wasn't clear, I was criticizing him for clearly just using a map without permission from whatever map maker.

Usually he at least draws the map:

But that's my point, he clearly did draw it. Go look at a map of the US and see where Maine is in relation to Minnesota and Washington. (The answer is south - Maine is entirely south of the northern border of the western US.) If he did trace a map, he hosed it up pretty badly, or he chose one of the worst maps of the US possible.

Going back through his cartoons, this is a mistake he makes constantly. Maine isn't quite as far north as he seems to think it is.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

R. Mute posted:

Look at the exhaust, the lines on the left, the flags. It's there, you're just not seeing it.

Well, yeah, he's made an attempt, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Bill Day is a bad cartoonist and that the only reason I know the car is supposed to be moving backwards is from the dialog. Yes, I can see the things that are supposed to be motion lines, and yes there's the exhaust there, but even knowing that he's supposed to be moving backwards and what the cues are supposed to be I still can't see the cartoon as depicting the vehicle moving backwards. The motion lines look like clouds in the sky and the exhaust looks like it's dust being kicked up from the tires.

Edit: And because Bill Day doesn't grasp "perspective" quite correctly, the flags look less like the car is moving backwards and more like there's a strong cross-wind blowing them across the hood.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

made of bees posted:

I forget, what was the explanation for Rall's awful color palette? Because there's no way someone with full three-color vision can intentionally make the American flag look like that.

Ted Rall doesn't know how to do color conversion. If you view the most recent comic on GoComics.com, where they deal with the color conversion, the colors look more ... well, more like an artist picked them and not a blind idiot.

Edit: How can Ted Rall be that bad at drawing hands? Or is that just his "style"?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Webguy posted:

And how is this different from when any other country hosts the games?

Most other countries manage to do it for 10 figures? There's a valid issue here (see other threads for details), but that doesn't change the fact that the cartoon is still just A Thing Happened.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Vladimir Poutine posted:

The really odd thing is that boat arrivals make up something like ~1% of Australian immigration. 27% of Australians were born overseas and the majority of Australians are first or second generation immigrants. Not only is Australia built largely on very recent immigration but boat arrivals make up an irrelevant fraction of that immigration.

The truth is I don't really know anybody who supports Australia's insane anti-refugee policies (I guess I move in a tertiary-educated left wing bubble though) but I know that they are out there in their millions, particularly in places like Queensland and Western Sydney.

I remember walking over a pedestrian bridge in Melbourne that had an art installation celebrating the various immigrants to Australia over the years. (I visited Australia last July.) I tried to take pictures, but because it was white lettering on a glass surface they didn't really come out. I can probably dig up pictures of the statues over the bridge, but I don't really have any of the plates that show immigration statistics.

That comic kind of makes that art installation seem just a bit ironic.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It's an F-22. You can tell because, while Ramirez may not be able to draw a recognizable human, he sure as hell is going to get details like the thrust-vectoring engines at the back of an F-22 correct.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

colonel_korn posted:

Easiest AGC ever?

As pointed out by the Daily Show last night, something like $100 million in food stamps are redeemed by military families.

So, yes, some day, all of that may be piloted by people on food stamps.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday and an American excuse to drink. As such, according to that Wikipedia article, it isn't really celebrated in Mexico and is mostly celebrated in the US, which I didn't know.

Basically, a court said it was OK to ask students wearing US flag shirts to take them off or wear them inside out after it learned that there was a chance of the wearers being attacked. Essentially all the ruling said was "yes, schools can enforce a dress code."

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Sanders posted:

It is a very strange ruling to me yeah, and a great gift to conservative cartoonists.

I think the ruling was basically "schools can have dress codes against gang colors, in this case, the American Flag was being used as a 'gang color', so disallowing it is OK in this instance." I may be wrong, but that was my take on it.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

There is no way that isn't an edit.

Holy crap, that isn't an edit. That might be the best Mallard Fillmore comic I've ever seen.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

majormonotone posted:

This comic is already outdated, as the Massachusetts legislature just made it illegal (it turns out that it just didn't happen to be illegal before).

Well, it hasn't been signed yet and probably won't be until tomorrow later today, so... they have some time.

And, yeah, the law as written stated that it only applied if the person being photographed was "nude" or "partially nude" and the court ruled that there's really no way to consider someone who is entirely dressed and on the subway to be "partially nude." It's basically a correct ruling, it just means the law was poorly written. So the law is being fixed.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

loquacius posted:

Why the ketchup. Why. I remember 2004 too; how is it relevant here, especially if you're David Dees?

Because Kerry is still married to Teresa Heinz Kerry, who is an heir to the H. J. Heinz company. (Was an heir? I'm confused as to the exact status, because she married into the Heinz family, and was then widowed before marrying John Kerry.)

Note that Kerry apparently signed a prenuptial agreement and has no claims to the Heinz company or her money. So it's a really dumb thing. But W Ketchup still exists, created during the 2004 campaign thanks to people being that angry over Heinz having even the most tenuous relation to someone running against President George W. Bush.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

loquacius posted:

Yes. I know. Hence "I remember 2004 too." But David Dees is not a fan of Dubya (he did 9/11 don'tcha know) so my question was why was he reusing Republican talking points from ten years ago if they don't help his argument? The ketchup being included as an extension of his steak metaphor is an acceptable explanation, even if it does throw Dees' taste in food into serious, serious doubt.

It connects him with "big business" and "big money." I don't know why you think hating Dubya and hating Heinz have to be mutually exclusive for a literal crazy person.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's a funny and weird ruling but it was the correct one because of a weird legal loophole. Last I checked the governor was gonna sign a fix into law today.

Signed, past tense. It was signed at like 11AM this morning.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Ammat The Ankh posted:

International Women's Day is today. Be honest: if it wasn't for the Google Chrome homepage, would you even know?

No idea what the "38" means. IWD has been around since the 1900's, so it couldn't be the anniversary of anything.

It's "3.8", but I have no idea what it means either. Googling it, I found out that it's the rating The Love Guru got on IMDb, but I'm guessing that's not it.

(Actually it appears to just be the date that Internation Women's Day is, March 8th.)

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

It's the wrong thread to go into detail but the new FDA label proposals are a mixed bag at best. There's nothing in them that's more "honest", though, that's for sure. Maybe :thejoke:?

Sure there is, one of the "big new things" with the new guidelines is to make the serving sizes more closely match what a normal person would think of as a serving.

My favorite example of this was discovering that the "serving size" for the muffins a local supermarket sells was 1/3rd of a muffin. Because most people carefully eat only 1/3rd of a muffin for breakfast, I guess.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Rorus Raz posted:

Does Malaysia heavily regulate their airports? Seems like a weird thing to blame the government for otherwise.

Malaysia Airlines is owned by the Malaysian government. (Well, majority-owned by a Malaysian government holding company, it's a publicly traded company.) The search has been conducted primarily by the Malaysian government, although given that neither the US or China have found the plane yet and both have been looking, I'm not sure that makes it any more valid of a complaint.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Linguica posted:

Ironically, Stephen Hawking recently gave a talk where he said "there are no black holes"

Well, yes, the paper literally includes that quote, but the full quote is:

Stephen Hawking posted:

The absence of event horizons mean that there are no black holes - in the sense of regimes from which light can't escape to infinity. There are however apparent horizons which persist for a period of time. This suggests that black holes should be redefined as metastable bound states of the gravitational field.

So black holes still exist, they just aren't "regimes from which light can't escape to infinity." Whatever that means. I, uh, did poorly in physics in college.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Uba Stij posted:

We bought Alaska and a large chunk of the USA from France, and the "Canda" parts we "stole" as well as everything else in the Western Hemisphere was stolen from the Natives. Including Spanish-Florida. Holy poo poo he's an idiot.

Well, that, and how is it OK for France, Spain, and Russia to take territory in the Americas, but not OK for the US to do the same thing? I mean, unless you're a contrarian rear end in a top hat whose sole purpose in life is to complain about things that the US does.

Also, the Pilgrims didn't really "steal" the land from the natives, as the natives were almost all dead by the time they arrived, thanks to European diseases. Yes, the Pilgrims were settling on lands that had been settled previously, but they were almost entirely vacant by the time they got there.

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 22, 2014

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Asiina posted:

Why does he have a pencil behind his ear if he uses some kind of surface

Because he's a hipster and owns a pencil stylus. (And not too surprisinly, those exist.)

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Jedit posted:

I've been informed that due to the size of Eich's donation he was legally obligated to name his employer. If someone who knows more about US campaign regulations can confirm?

This is true. I can't tell you why, but he didn't publicly donate to a pro-Prop 8 campaign, it was only discovered (in 2012) due to campaign contribution disclosure laws. These require an employer to be listed, presumably to try and determine if a company is effectively "bribing" someone through their employees.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, a member of the board resigned rather than accept Eich as CEO, and Mozilla's mission is explicitly one of inclusion and interconnection. As forums poster tef put it, he wasn't fired, he just wasn't a culture fit.

Three members of the board left, two were planning on leaving anyway, and the third never bothered to explain why other than that it wasn't related to the Prop 8 donation. Apparently some people wanted to hire an outside person as CEO to try and bring a fresh perspective to the company, and were upset when Eich (one of the founding members of Mozilla and the inventor of JavaScript) was chosen instead.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

forbidden lesbian posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only person who thought these were Lester's at first glance.

I don't know which is more terrifying, that one of the two saw the other's style and thought "I should copy that!" or that there are two people who independently came up with Lester-style art in the world.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
No one's noticed the most remarkable thing about that Tinsley cartoon?

It means he planned ahead so his cartoon about May 4th actually ran on May 4th, instead of getting annoyed at people telling him "May the Fourth be with you!" today and then throwing together a cartoon about it and running it two weeks later.

Unless this cartoon has been sitting around since last year. Still.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Happy Sunday, Polititoons thread!

I come to ask you a question:
"Who will YOU be in the year 2024?"
or rather, "what the gently caress is ted rall talking about in this book jesus christ"
Let us begin!

Rall does realize comics are a visual medium, right? Or maybe he just recognizes that his art is so bland and nondescript, that if he didn't literally spell out what was supposed to be going on, no one would ever be able to tell.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

To be fair to Horsey, he does answer "no."

Horsey posted:

Well, a reality of the cartoon business is that, on any given day, several artists are likely to produce very similar images. Many cartoon ideas that seem brilliant and unique are actually pretty darn obvious and pop into more than one deadline-driven brain. Folks in my profession launch into frequent disputes about plagiarism because of this phenomenon. Though sometimes the ripping off is real and shockingly brazen, most of the time similarities between cartoons merely prove that the muse of satire is a promiscuous lady.

So, I guess I have to assume the president owes me no credit. Still, if he wants some help with next year’s presentation, I’m sure I’ll have plenty of great ideas -- or at least I know where he can go to steal ‘em.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

I guess Abraham Lincoln has given up on the peace process?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You know that's this entire thread right?

Or, one could argue, political cartoons in general.

See, for example, Ted Rall's imaginary conversation where Barack Obama not only knows who he is but gives a poo poo.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

achillesforever6 posted:

The reason Hindenburg is banned is because of people claiming Hydrogen Cars were all going to combust like the Hindenburg right?

In case anyone was wondering, because I know I was: yes, every word on the list that the guy in the cartoon is holding is actually on the list of words GM banned. Yes, Hindenburg and Kevorkianesque are on it.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
To demonstrate Rall's "Show Don't Tell" problem, let's look back at the very first page posted, the only one I actually bothered to read.

Our first introduction is Rall describing Winston's watch:

quote:

It was a bright hot day in April, and the battered Texas Instruments watch on Winston's wrist, purchased in a moment of ironic consumerism at a flea market, was beeping thirteen.

See anything in there that maybe should have been, oh, I dunno, drawn?! Something that, in fact, is not visible at all on that page? Now, granted, the "moment of ironic consumerism" factoid would probably need some text to be introduced, but pretty much everything else could be established by just drawing the outdoors and Winston's watch. Which Rall seems to have entirely forgotten about since Winston doesn't appear to be wearing a watch. (Anyone spot a frame with Winston wearing this watch? Honestly I'm a bit curious.)

quote:

Winston nodded at the bored desk attendant and scanned himself into his luxe/river vu/2 BR in Battery Park Tower D.

Here Rall at least drew the guard and Winston scanning. Sort of. The guard could be bored, there's no way to tell, since Rall doesn't do facial expressions, and without the text, it would be impossible to know that Winston is "scanning himself into" his apartment and not picking up a flyer from a rack.

And it goes on. So much stuff that, in the hands of a competent cartoonist, would have been drawn, has to instead be told in text boxes to make up for Rall's lack of expressive faces and horrible art style.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Darkman Fanpage posted:

You can't demand higher wages! Robots will replace you!

This is actually just a thing happened cartoon. Fast food restaurants are seriously looking into replacing workers with robots.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Well, you see, we live in a just world, so, therefore, if someone is poor and working their hardest but still only just barely surviving...

They must (mayst? really, auto-correct?!) be drug addicts or other degenerates. Yeah, that's it. They just didn't try hard enough in school.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

I don't think that would work in this case, because most people spouting the view that fast food jobs are "for teenagers" believe that that's the way they should be. So even if you can prove that there are people trying to live on fast food jobs, the counter-argument is simple: they shouldn't be, reality be damned.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

You know, I'd almost find this cartoon funny. If only it weren't by Tinsley and I thought it was an actual joke and not a smug attempt to be superior at "those hipsters with their e-device-things."

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Party Boat posted:

...either that or I'm missing a joke.

Pretty sure Canada isn't "Canadia" either.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Mo_Steel posted:

First image result for hotdog:

:dealwithit:

Why would someone put a Twizzler Pull-n-Peel over their mustard? Blech.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

fade5 posted:

I'm not sure how to read the Sunni/Shia caricatures, they're a little bit stereotypical but holy poo poo at least those two look human, Kerry is some sort of terrifying, dead-eyed monstrosity.:stare:

I agree, he did a really good job of representing Kerry.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Rorus Raz posted:

Now I want to put Sutton and Rall in a cage and watch the fireworks.

Why? What did Sutton ever do to deserve such a horrible fate?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Dr Christmas posted:

Hell, it's a chance to watch America stomp all over a bunch of foreigners. I'd think they'd love it for that.

Sure, except in four games in the World Cup, the US only managed to win once. The only reason they played a fourth game was due to bizarre tie-breaking rules and the fact that apparently Germany is really good against teams that speak Portuguese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Post 9-11 User posted:

Yes, Ramirez, Putin is going to launch nuclear missiles. How stupid and anachronistic can one person be?

It's actually the launch button for Putin's secret Russian soldier catapult that he's using to sneak Russian soldiers into Ukraine.

• Locked thread