Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Hobert probably deserves an entry in our rogue's gallery, for skull donkey, if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Remember that a political cartoonist's job is equal parts propagandist and troll.

Gary's not very good at either one, but he accomplished the trolling well enough by pissing off leftists with that move.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Stantis is pretty lovely, but he's also literally the only regularly posted cartoonist who's ever recanted a bad opinion.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

From a few pages back, but this deserves some love, because he actually rode the metaphor all the way through and delivered a joke at the end.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm also O-tier. Maybe that's the best way of thinking about it- gay male donors are banned from tournament play for being OP.

This is the gooniest thing I've read in a while, and I love it. Bonus points for a sideways Sagat reference even though he's banned not for being OP (Boxer and Dhalsim are regarded as overall stronger) but for making the metagame boring.
:goonsay:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Nevermind that George W Bush had issued more executive orders in his first term than Obama has up to this point.

I had no idea that there were presidents who issued them well into the four digits, though. :stare:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Alacron posted:

:stare: I worked on the 2010 census for a couple months before I got another job, but I never had ANYTHING that bad. Granted, most of my area was suburbs, but I still got harassed by by a guy who kept asking me about how much money I made and a woman cussed me out because I left our little "Census wuz here" note in her door.

Mostly people were really pleasant though, even a few who were pretty belligerent until they realized who I was and this wasn't a sales thing. It's funny when people think you're some kind of sinister government agent, since safety training consisted almost entirely of "if you ever feel threatened or in danger, get the gently caress outta there."

The amount of suspicion people have for the census is pretty baffling. Granted, some people get confused because they take the long-form census (which takes a loving eon over the phone) and then are surprised when they have to take the short-form again, but there's a sizeable minority who think that the government knowing their name, address, and ethnicity is too much information. I used to joke with my fellow enumerators that the government has better things to do than keep tabs on Joe Schlub up the street, but apparently that's not true. :sigh:

My personal favorite case was a guy who told me he didn't trust "government-types" at all and refused to say anything to me beyond that over three or four visits. Handed off the case to another enumerator who was an attractive white woman and she got his information in one shot.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Internet Webguy posted:

The alpha and omega of captions.

This is it. The perfect political cartoon has been created.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Mister Beeg posted:

After Ted Kennedy died, Mike Lester drew this cartoon, but it was never published, You can guess why:

Lester, don't you dare sully the name of one of my favorite sitcoms, you rear end in a top hat. :mad:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Well need more Bell in this thread, because I'm quickly falling in love with the guy

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Xenphobia so blatant, it makes the McCoys look good.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
How is it that the DbD hole always manages to get deeper

HOW

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
To bring this Penny Arcade discussion full circle, one of the PA guys said that as a young boy, his school had a local political cartoonist come in and talk about the profession once. The whole thing left a sour taste in the PA guy's mouth and he had a disdain for political cartoons ever since.

The cartoonist in question? Milt loving Priggee.

e: I misremembered the takeaway from the discussion, but here's the link http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2003/08/11/video-games

inthesto fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 28, 2014

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Super Saiyan Mr. T posted:

Yeah, that's a surprisingly adorable, non-lovely Varvel. Color me shocked!

Sorry, but this is Varvel. The underlying message is "if global warming why cold".

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Simple. Elegant. Beautiful. :golfclap:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Dumpster diving at grocery stores and supermarkets is a free, if illegal, way to reduce food waste while maintaining a relatively healthy diet. A Freegan Cartoon.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

It just now dawns on me that, at a glance, I can't tell the difference between McFadden and Tom Tomorrow.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Wales Grey posted:

Birth Year: 1975, 1988, 2001, 2014, 2027

Description: You were born under the auspice of the RAD SKELETON. You are bold and prone to incisive thought and speech, but your worldview has fatalistic tendencies and you have difficulty being taken seriously. You get along well with people born under the auspices of the DEBT GORILLA or MAN WORM as they appreciate your cutting insight, while the INNOCENT CHILD understands and sympathizes with your fatalistic outlook. You are not compatible with people born under the auspices of the PANTS DONKEY, PUNNY DOG, or BESPECTACLED ELEPHANT.

Lucky Colors: White, Black

Lucky Numbers: 0, 4, 13, 4242564

Fortune: A party brings joy to both the host and the guest. Open the Bud Gates!

I get 0, 4, and 13, but is there some kind of significance to the number 424564?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

loquacius posted:

A rat done bit my sister Nell (with Whitey on the moon). Her face and arms began to swell (and Whitey's on the moon). I can't pay no doctor bill (but Whitey's on the moon). Ten years from now I'll be payin' still (while Whitey's on the moon). A Pro-Health-Care-Reform Cartoon.

Seeing Chuck Asay (probably unintentionally) agreeing with Gil Scott-Heron is blowing my mind.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Mister Adequate posted:

it's geocentricity you colossal loving hack

I'm actually willing to give Rall the benefit of the doubt on this one and say that he intentionally got it wrong to make the strawman look stupider than it already is.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Did Muir actually admit to copping a joke off of Bill Cosby? I was going to mention that it is originally Cosby's joke, but I figure by now that it's so common, it wasn't worth bringing up.

Good to know that Chris Muir and Carlos Mencia are roughly on the same level.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

agarjogger posted:

Forgot to paint MSM or MSNBC on the referee. Conservatoon fail.

It's a pretty bad cartoon, but Bell is one of our liberal regulars.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Post 9-11 User posted:

And Sorensen's latest:

This should just be trimmed down to the second panel.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

bonewitch posted:

If we're talking about the dark enlightenment, we can't forget about Justine Tunney. She unironically called for Obama to hand over executive power to the CEO of Google, and claimed that any opposition to this plan was ableism "because many techies are autists". :psyduck:

Please source your quotes, because that's a level of unreal that I'm still ready to disbelieve.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

alnilam posted:

He's already got the buddhists in his pocket :tinfoil:

The Dalai Lama is the leader of the Tibetan Buddhists, while the Shaolin monastery is distinctly Chinese.

Unless you're claiming Tibetans are Chinese. :catbert:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
For all the dogwhistle racism we have to put up with from the American cartoonists, Arend Van Dam is a wonderful reminder that at least in the USA our racism is required to be dogwhistled.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Phone posted:

I guess this kinda belongs here

Is there any context for this at all?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is in the top 5 most absurd arguments I think we've ever seen in this thread.

One of my real life friends defends the team name with the argument that it inspires people to learn about the history and culture of Native Americans.

The logical knots people have to tie in order to defend a loving sports team name is unreal.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Internet Webguy posted:

He's getting an official tribute in World of Warcraft since he played it frequently. I'm starting to see where the depression may have developed...

You're making some off-hand snark, but for real, depression and other mood and anxiety disorders are frighteningly common among successful comedians. Go ahead and look up your favorite; he or she probably has depression, bipolar, or some anxiety disorder.

And there's really nothing offensive at all about that cartoon about the button-pushing woman. This thread is far too alarmist sometimes.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm not sure if it's refreshing or depressing to see that we've made approximately zero progress when it comes to nativism and xenophobia.

Depictions of the Chinese all being opium addicts especially crawls under my skin.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Mordiceius posted:

I still don't get why Muir is fetishizing Sam Elliott, a liberal Californian.

I seem to recall a DbD where he praised Clint Eastwood for being macho and derided Lee Harvey Oswald for being a commie sissy in the same comic.

Muir isn't simply incapable of distinguishing reality from fantasy, but consistently inverts them every time.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
You can just picture all these conservative cartoonists thinking to themselves "Heh, I sure did stick it to this dead black kid" as they're publishing these pieces of trash.

It's really hard to comprehend where hatred this deep even comes from. It makes me like the world just a little bit less. :smith:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Ted Rall made me laugh. That's how dark this thread has become.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I can't even be angry at that one. I'm flattened, and the will to fight back as drained away, only to be replaced by the knowledge that the world really is a bottomless pit of hatred towards our fellow humans.

Ramirez wins this round. :smithicide:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
These Sunday School strips really are the epitome of begging the question. They're always trying to make the argument that God exists as written in The Bible, but in order for the logic to hold any ground, you already have to assume that God exists as written in The Bible.

What's even the point? The flimsiness of the logic will never convert unbelievers and the people who already believe already believe.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SinetheGuy posted:

Literally anything outside their parallel pop-culture world is "worldly" and probably the work of Satan.

Yeah, basically the hyper-religious have this really bizarre worldview that anything not directly anchored by their religion of choice falls on a spectrum ranging from "frivolous" to "outright evil". It's hard to comprehend because it's so far removed from the way the rest of the world thinks.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Internet Webguy posted:

I hope MAD WHITEY becomes the new pants-on-ground donkey.

A strange puppet-man with pants that don't fit watches the news.

Who is this Semeroth and can we please have more

Also, that Obama is some weird poo poo

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Speaking of Bell, did his main comic strip have anything to say about Mike Brown?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

This panel can't possibly get enough love. The baby with the guns is top tier avatar material.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

loquacius posted:

If it was this, wouldn't have have drawn the guy still standing in panel 2 holding an actual gun instead of doing a finger-pistol?

It might be a fairly milquetoast jeer towards taunting in the NFL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
God drat the doublethink that's necessary in order to write that

• Locked thread