Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

The Ape of Naples posted:

You have a wife and two children. What's to discuss? You need health insurance.

As Muiry Sue was in the military, he can go to the VA so long as he meets needs testing (which, being as irresponsible with his finances as he is, he does).

The rest of them are probably so poor to be covered by Medicaid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

visceril posted:

It's impossible to make an anti-war movie or an anti-capitalist movie because the villains and violence always end up too likeable. It's almost an inevitably for Hollywood, because nobody wants to watch a movie with unlikeable, unmemorable characters.

People didn't "get" what a broken human being Rambo was because he was such a badass and that stupid cop should've respected are troop.

Scarface was a hypocritical jealous psychopath that got gunned down like a punk and people have literally molded careers around singing about how awesome he was.

Freakin' Martin Scorsece should've known better--Godfather was supposed to be anti capitalist but ended up glorifying the mob.

Godfather was Francis Ford Coppola, not Scorsece. And it isn't anti capitalist, capitalism doesn't factor into it in any read I've ever seen. It is a corruption story that people don't follow - they see Michael as someone to emulate, rather than a man falling into evil.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I agree it's probably impossible to do these days, and has been that way for a long time, but I'd argue that at least two anti-war movies have actually been made, one intentionally, one not. Both are from WWI, and were shot during the war itself: The Battle of the Somme, 1916, and J'accuse, 1919.

The former was intended as a propaganda piece, but was realistic enough to horrify British audiences when it premiered; we have numerous accounts of people crying out in shock as troops go over the top and get mowed down, and several cases of audience members fainting. The latter almost rates as a horror film given its use of imagery of dead soldiers returning to haunt/judge the living back at home. Neither was misinterpreted at the time in any way as being pro-war or jingoistic to my knowledge.
Jarhead is anti war, even against the usual way. Since the characters never see any action, there is nothing to emulate.

I also haven't seen Saving Private Ryan used as a pro war film. The action there isn't glorified, it shows what an utter meatgrinder it was for both sides, and it ends up spending a squad's worth of lives for one guy as a pretty bad bargain.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 3, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

By the way, if people want to watch The Battle of the Somme it is public domain and up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krT1lX_Dvm0

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The two I mentioned don't, to my knowledge at least, suffer from this, both as WWI is hard to say anything good about at all (at least from a European perspective) and also as they were made in the early days of cinema where techniques and expectations were very different from today. Modern war films, even if explicitly anti-war in intention, however, have a very hard time with the problem. But this is already long, and de-raily, enough that I'll leave it for now.

Hey, I did link the right Battle of the Somme, right? Because the one here is different and I want to make sure to see the right one

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

This still ranks as one of my all time favourite instances of a grown man overreacting to criticism. Right up there with the judge who thought he should be allowed to hang people who criticized his work.

And don't forget Tinsley's response to Jon Stewart, or when the judge who sentenced him for DUI was up for election.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

crowfeathers posted:

I think Allie might be the worst person posted here

Seriously?

First of all, Stanis writes them, Allie illustrated them. So Scott Stanis would be the one to blame. It even has his name in the corner
Secondly, he lacks the domestic violence convictions of Lester, the threats of McCoy, the DUI conviction of Tinsley, and all the poo poo that is Ted Rall.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Lycus posted:

Again: Vertical eye scar = badass. That's a well-known rule of character design.

It's called a dueling scar, and comes from Errol Flynn movies :eng101:

crowfeathers posted:

i like that rule because it'd be pretty hard to actually get a vertical eye scar in any way that isn't really embarrassingly dumb
fencing without a mask was generally the source. Which is embarrassingly dumb so...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Dueling scars were traditionally horizontal (in most instances), and on the side of the cheek. They were a big status symbol for German men in previous centuries, as it marked whoever had one as a part of the upper class, and usually as having attended university back when that was much more exclusive of a thing.

In real life, sure. But in the movies they had vertical scars on the eye. That's how you could tell the villain, and who Errol was going to swordfight

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

I don't understand what it's trying to say, other than being pro-republican.

Its against both of them, saying that natives rank so lowly that any parts of the platform for them are only used to wipe the politicians' rear end

I like guy, his metaphors and composition aren't much to speak of, but I really like having a rarely seen perspective. Please keep posting him

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

UGH, this is a worse crime that Tinsley's DUI.

Also, I find it kinda amusing the author is making fun of him for not being popular / well known when Tinsley's strip has a been a mainstay in editorial cartoning for the past two decades, for better or worse, while this is just a webcomic.

A webcomic known for plagiarism of imgur jokes (that famous Mark Millar one people like to post here is a ripoff of something that someone posted to reddit/imgur 2 weeks before the willis comic) and rape jokes.

Willis is down there with Rall on the "lovely human being" scale. Don't post him.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Sir Rolo posted:

You're right, that Kelly is much more reasonable than this cartoon:

Branco works for Beck's media shop though, so its a little hard to criticize him for kissing his boss' rear end in this economy

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Spiffster posted:

I don't see Willis drawing lovely Doctor Hibert knockoffs as presidents of the United States, making people pay hundreds for his presence in which he isn't obliged to make eye contact, or just being a total poo poo heel in general. :colbert:
Really? Because today's features a lovely Joker trace, he goes to cons where people pay to see him, and he has that last one down to a T

quote:

The only reason he gets posted in here is he does a decent political cartoon from time to time. If we didn't post people just because a poster has a problem with them personally or their messages, This thread would be empty.
He does political cartoon where he attacks people for holding the same lovely views he regularly capitalizes on. Even Lester doesn't do strips accusing Obama of beating on Michelle.

quote:

... And I think we had this argument a few years ago... and once again you bring up that he supports rape. He never once did a joke that said rape is OK or funny. He showed one of the sad dangers of college in Dumbing of Age in one of his story-lines. One of the characters was trying to be supportive for her friend who had to go to a party to get an interview for the newspaper, but she didn't want to go because she was really felt uncomfortable about it. They both went to a party, which is outside their comfort bubbles, so the journalist would at least have a friendly face in the crowd. Even when she gets separated due to the interview, she tries to stay within a group of people so she is never alone and when they find out what he was trying to do the guy ends up getting slashed by a broken glass and beaten to a pulp with a bat. Not once does he support a rapist and he is supposed to be despised in all of his actions. Do you just believe that Rape should never be discussed in any medium?

That's an awful lot of words trying to brush aside the fact the guy regularly plays rape off as a joke. "Hey look, he date raped them both! Hilarious!" And routinely makes fun of LBTG people with poo poo like a "trans car" and "Leslie Bean". And has his black mouthpiece voice his white guy opinions about race. And his onesided rage feud against Bill Watterson (like Rall's one with Ebert). And smashes his dolls together like they have sex for his mary sues. And his obsession with monkey cheese violence.

Hey look at that, all stuff people point out that Muir, Rall, and Tim Buckley do. Why is it ok to criticize them for it, but when this less successful hypocrite gets criticized for it, you charge to the rescue?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No he doesn't, that's the dude who did the 'I invented the cure for cancer' 'you didn't build that' 'GUESS WE ALL DIE THEN THANKS OBUMMER' comic. Branco's biggest audience is this thread because he's a nobody.
One of them does TheBlaze, the other does Beck's Newsletter. I don't remember which is which, but at least whenhe started getting posted here Branco was getting pushed by Beck.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

So who wants to own an original drawing by Bruce Tinsley? Only $100!

Not sure who that is, but it's not a bad drawing IMO.

Ariel Sharon

And what on earth is with his left forearm?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Is the joke that he overturned the car with the backhoe? If so, why are the EPA agents just sitting in their car? If not, why is their car sideways in a bush? Why is there a lieutenant in the EPA? Why would attacking EPA agents be a good idea in this situation? Why would water runoff pits be a bad one?

I'm pretty sure those are the guys he tranquilizer sniped several months back. They have been stuck in the car, and the weeds grown up around them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

what the gently caress is this?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

EndOfTheWorld posted:

H&R Block is running ads talking about how last year Americans had $1 billion in unclaimed deductions. Different commercials show the $1 billion in different ways -one of which puts a fat wad of cash on each seat in a stadium.

The idea is ol' Obama is just taking the hard earned tax-dollars of real 'murikans and spending it all on golf! ARE TAX DOLLARS!!! :argh:

Yeah, but then they throw in Benghazi which isn't related (since funding for embassy defense had been cut, not spent) and was 2 years ago, not last year

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

So is the unemployment rate 30%, or is Lester counting children and retired people?

Hmmmmmmmm.

Labor force participation rate is down to ~62%, or where it was in 1978. Rush Limbaugh has decided this means 92 million Americans are unemployed and this is Obama's fault

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I googled 92 million unemployed and the first link that came up to was rushlimbaugh.com sooooooo

Hrm, the biggest generation in American history is retiring or going on disability as they get to old to work but don't have enough to retire, and the younger one is staying in school longer.

Guess that means unemployment is up and Nobama is to blame!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Poopy Palpy posted:

TIE Advanced-X1. The TIE Interceptor has pointier wings.
:goonsay:

E-Tank posted:

Aka: The only Imperial starfighter worth a drat.

HootTheOwl posted:

I think you mean the TIE Defender :colbert:
TIE Fighter was one of the greatest games

E-Tank posted:

If it wasn't in the movies, it isn't canon. :argh:
just kidding. I was a big fan of the TIE phantom in Rebel Assault 2.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The T/D was better, but loyalist forces only had a bare handful due to Zaarin's insurgency so we might as well got with the T/Aand continue to pretend the ridiculously unbalanced missile boat never existed
:goonsay:

God I love that game

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Breast

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Didn't the war on poverty significantly reduce poverty rates for the brief time it was implemented, until shitheels Nixon and Reagan gutted it?

No, it significantly reduced poverty rates permanently. The war on poverty has cut it in half from 29% to 16%, marking it as spectacularly successful.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...1ee6_story.html

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SuperHappy posted:

seems okay to me!

The best part is that going by the symbol on the ground, that should be skewed in the opposite direction

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Spatula City posted:

Indeed. It's a good one. I come down firmly on the side that Woody Allen abused his daughter and Roman Polanski should be in prison, but that doesn't stop me from considering Hannah and Her Sisters, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Crimes and Misdemeanors, and Chinatown great movies. To be honest, seeing OJ Simpson in the Naked Gun movies doesn't even bother me. Tom Cruise is a horrible person and one of my favorite actors. Unfortunately, a lot of artists are terrible people, and you can choose to let that dictate what you enjoy, or practice a little cognitive dissonance.

The ability to enjoy a thing without endorsing a thing is something that escapes so many people it is stunning.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Wales Grey posted:

There was a Seahawks touchdown off a Broncos' punt in the superbowl.

edit: I just noticed the field is labled "NATO". :wtc:

Allen Wren posted:

What is the field supposed to say? I know the top line says NATO, but the way it looks, it says
NA
OT

carry on then posted:

I think it's NATO written both ways. But of course one needs to be upside down or it's pointless. Outstanding.

TheDarkFlame posted:

It's actually fine, it's not just Ramirez being dumb. The other, foreign name of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation is in French, and is "Organisation du Traité de l'Atlantique Nord", or OTAN.

I don't know why that's the field though, or what Ramirez was trying to do.

It's what the field from the original photo said

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 5, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Bender posted:

Glenn McCoy has to be the most repugnant person posted in this thread.

Lester beats his wife, Tinsley has a least one DUI on his record, and Rall is Rall.

By comparison McCoy is an angel

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

alnilam posted:

So what's with all the "why Obama hate Fox news?" comics these past few weeks? I remember him saying fix sucked years ago, did he say it again?

He called out O'Rielly for promoting bullshit scandals in his pre Superbowl interview

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Exclamation Marx posted:

I love that hell priest

That's an Inquisitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt0Y39eMvpI

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

They have a smoking gun in the form of the NSA, a major scandal that paints Obama as the big bad guy they're always depicting him as. Why the gently caress do they keep bringing up the IRS like it's at all relevant?
Because the NSA collection is entirely legal? Because it was done openly for a decade before Snowden got people to pay attention to the articles that had been trickling out for years? Because it was authorized and funded through the appropriate channels, with the correct committees being briefed on it throughout? Because they have court rulings and legal filings out of the AG's office to allow it?

Not liking something is different from it being a "scandal". There was no malfeasance going on. Now the fact that they had twisted how you think things should be is a perfectly valid take on this. But you disagreeing with the current ruling of how things are does not make a thing a scandal.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

tifosibella posted:

The letter Zed got is a letter sent out when someone, a doctor usually, informs the VA that someone receiving benefits appears mentally or physically incapable of handling their benefits payments. The letter states the recipient has a period of time during which they may present evidence disputing the question of their incompetence. If they do not submit said evidence, or if evidence submitted doesn't satisfy the requirements for a ruling of competency, a fiduciary agent is appointed for the veteran in question who is then put in charge of the veteran's benefit payments. In most cases the agent is a family member - wives are obviously a fairly common appointment.

Because of the Brady Act (not Obama as Muir thinks, apparently), veterans who are ruled by the VA to be mentally or physically incompetent are prohibited from owning or purchasing firearms.

In short: No, the VA doesn't keep records on who handles the family finances and then rules the veteran incompetent if he or she is not the one doing it. Because that's loving retarded.

And given that Muiry-sue is so incompetent at managing finances that he has cost has s family everything, it is difficult to make the case that he shouldn't be deemed incompetent and have someone else put in charge

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

You posted a Glenn cartoon. Gary is the one with all the Fluke cartoons.

Look at the sign in the front row

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Uh why is it in French? Is he conflating our antisemitic assholes with the BDS movement? :psyduck:

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/176876#.UvnoxvldV8H

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxsldW-B2m0

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Wheany posted:

Haha, someone is whining that Bennett is accusing GOP of building gas chambers for non-whites, gays, women and the elderly, Inferring Zyklon B from "fumigation."

Honestly that's the first thing I thought of as well. I was :stare:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

loquacius posted:

Wait. In this metaphor, didn't they just elect Bill Clinton again? I could be wrong here because honestly it's a really lovely metaphor but if the girl bunny is supposed to be Hillary doesn't that mean the boy bunny is supposed to be Bill?

The weird thing is if you take it as a read on the GOP pushing Jeb Bush in 2016 it makes sense. Except Allie thought Bush did a good job

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Chainsawdomy posted:

Do you think Shirley Temple's upset that upon death her soul reverted to prepubescence? Apparently her political career is irrelevant to the almighty.

I figure it is like what happened to Darth Vader in the Special Editions

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

ATTN: Entire loving World

Re: Shirley Temple

Shirley Temple has not been a child for over 65 years.

And Anakin Skywalker didn't have a full body for the last 21 years, much less a full head of hair, but that didn't stop his ghost, did it?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

the fact that he gets paid and wins awards for this single hand-edly disproves the idea that we are a meritocracy

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 13, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Swan Oat posted:

Isn't Muir usually posted by now? :saddowns:

You'd think he would be better about his schedule, since that comic is what keeps a roof over his head

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

R. Mute posted:

This one by Karl won the second prize:

How does this get 2nd place? That may not be the best Obama, but he is recognizable, the metaphor is clear, and it doesn't require any labels to get the point across. It was better than the 1st place.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Saint Sputnik posted:

I feel like I should be offended but also I need someone to explain exactly why I should be offended.

He is complaining that now the sports section is going to be "another part of the MSM forcing the gay agenda down our throats because they are to politically correct and cowardly to stand up to the gays"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Except that Campbell trivializes the momentous and terrifying step of coming out of the closet in a generally hostile society as "Telling people how he likes to score".

The :qq:Why isn't everyone loving Tebow for his Christian faith :qq: hypocrisy is just icing on the cake.

There is also the hypocrisy that the news cares a lot about how other sports stars score. We heard about how Jessica Simpson supposedly threw off Tony Romo's game. We hear about Tiger Woods and his running around. We hear about Wilt Chamberlin and his "highest scoring record". We hear about Kobe and Big Ben raping women. We hear about which basketball player is sleeping with which Kardasian. We hear about all the infidelities, children, crimes, kinks, and scandals that the news can possibly find out. We get whole documentaries on the sub rosa industry for women to hook up with newly minted millionaire athletes. We have the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue dealing with hot spouses, hot women athletes, and models and who they are all sleeping with or potentially sleeping with.

The news very loving much cares about who is sleeping with whom, so to claim "so what if he is sleeping with another man" is dishonest as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Internet Webguy posted:

Those are all pretty good, but what was Stephen Tyler nominated for?

That's Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club, and it is actually a fairly good likeness of how he looks in the film

• Locked thread