Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Someone should also update the colonel_korn chart, since its missing some people and also maybe some positions need to be shifted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Can't wait for the year in review mega post, makes me realized how much poo poo happened this year.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

No one but the idiots who thought Scarface was a role model or that Tyler Durden was right or that Boondock Saints is a good movie think this way Horsey, though the guy he portrayed does look like the guy who would honestly. :negative:

Well this is kind of tasteless Rogers, but I did laugh a little bit though

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

BerkerkLurk posted:

Same here, the eyes are incredible.
You would have to be a pretty :downs: terrorist to blow yourself up midair with no causalities to inflict.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

visceril posted:

It's impossible to make an anti-war movie or an anti-capitalist movie because the villains and violence always end up too likeable. It's almost an inevitably for Hollywood, because nobody wants to watch a movie with unlikeable, unmemorable characters.

People didn't "get" what a broken human being Rambo was because he was such a badass and that stupid cop should've respected are troop.

Scarface was a hypocritical jealous psychopath that got gunned down like a punk and people have literally molded careers around singing about how awesome he was.

Freakin' Martin Scorsece should've known better--Godfather was supposed to be anti capitalist but ended up glorifying the mob.
Jurassic Park actually is pretty anti corporate, but that gets drowned down because who wouldn't want to go to an Island Theme Park with real live Dinosaurs?

Also for good Anti-War stuff, Band of Brothers did a really good job in portraying WWII as a terrible Meatgrinder

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Feinne posted:

Plus, they turned John Hammond into a nice old rich man with a dream instead of the hateful old turd who gets eaten by compies at the end because he's a fucker and deserves the most embarrassing death possible.
Honestly I liked that change since they basically turned him into Andrew Carnegie, who was not that big of a shithead and also really loved dinosaurs.

However even in his nativity in the movie, you can see criticisms to the corporations since the whole reason the park failed was because he cut corners even as he kept saying they spared no expense.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

rodbeard posted:

Crichton was a bitter hateful anti-intellectual, so I'm willing to bet in the original novel, you were supposed to hate the little girl too.
I don't think he was anti-intellectual, he was just anti-corruption of science from Evil Corporations, but this is a discussion for another thread (I miss the Jurassic Park thread :smith:)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

prefect posted:

The guy thought global warming was a hoax.
Yeah, but I think a lot his more early work was less anti-intellectualism and oh wait he also believed in alternative medication/psychic mumbo jumbo.

But his books were well researched most of the time and he gave us Jurassic Park and the Andromeda Strain so he wasn't all bad.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

Oh come on JJ, you can't draw a caricature of Hadfield without putting a guitar in there somewhere

I was just going to post that :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BbuOn--ERI
:allears:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Bungal fans don't show the true commitment of a true football fan and deserve to lose the playoffs ~ A bitter Stillers fan cartoon

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

A hundred or so years from now when the last of the sea ice has melted and all coastal cities are flooded someone will say "Well then why can't I swim in the arctic ocean without freezing to death? Checkmate libs :smug:"
But if all the coastal cities flooded, that means it will kill all those liberals and feral urban poors! Then the world can become a Middle America paradise :911:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Zemyla posted:

Bisonopolis.
Still one of the greatest monologues in the history of cinema
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjogCytzX0s

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Goddamn it I agree with Plante

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

FUKUSHIMA RADIATION TO HIT U.S. WEST COAST BY 2014 :supaburn:

Just how BS is this anyway? I keep hearing this kind of stuff from the anti-Nuclear crowd.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MisterBadIdea posted:

Boy, that snowman is sure unhappy it's snowing.
Since Bish is from Pittsburgh I looked out my window, its sunny out

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

Tribute to @RogerWaters, anti-apartheid guitar hero! (cartoon) #Israel #Palestine
He sure tore down that wall :downs:

Though I always liked Waters even though he was a massive douchebag and even then he was kind of right in taking control of Pink Floyd.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Nero helped put out the fires, in some accounts he helped do so personally.
Yeah Nero really got the shaft in history, by all accounts he was well liked by the common people and hated by the rich upper class and this of course lead to the historians after his death to mudsling his name for favor from the current regime.

That and being demonized by Christians also didn't help his image.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Man I wonder what happened to Rogers he hasn't posted since that Olympics cartoon :ohdear:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Glad to see Rogers is back

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

I am technically a member of the Order of the Arrow? That just means I get bothered once in a blue moon to cough up money, but at any rate I went through the process to join. This was not my idea, as even as a fairly conservative kid I saw the Order as incredibly creepy and heavily resisted pressure to go in whenever I was invited to do the initiation. I eventually caved to my dad, because he was adamant that it'd look good on a college application.

It's every bit as lovely as you'd expect. Dudes wearing native headpieces telling you what to do for a day, and you couldn't eat or talk all day and had to sleep outside. This was all supposed to be a secret, but everyone knew about it and few people really wanted to waste a weekend not eating and sleeping without a tent. The creepiest thing though was all the weaving of native folklore and poo poo. At night I had sit though an hour or two of that poo poo around a campfire. I cannot tell you how uncomfortable it is to see a fat white guy talk about native mythology while wearing a stereotypical feathered headdress.

Basically there's no end to how weird the Scouting program is (Boys anyways, I hear Girl Scouts are pretty awesome), which has a lot to with the organization being hijacked by a lot of churches.
I remember having to go through a cross over in the boy scouts, but at least we had a legit Native American for that who was cool, but I bet he was making up some bullshit that our group were now spirit brothers

inkblot posted:

The pyramids were giant public works projects made by non-slaves. Now, this isn't to say that everything was peaches and cream - it was still back breaking labor that lead to most of the workers having short lives fraught with arthritis - but Pharaoh wasn't exactly dumping on Moses and co. the whole time.
I mean its probably why it also took 37 years to make since they only did it when the farmers couldn't work on the fields.

Its all just dumb racist bullshit that the ancients were stupid when year after year we keep finding out just how intelligent and innovative these civilizations were.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 16, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rebochan posted:

God drat if I'm not tired of the stereotypical millennial depiction by now.

When did Cole start taking commissions from my mother?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I can't help but also think this is also a refrence to that house explosion that happened recently in Pittsburgh because old people don't realize smoking and oxygen tanks don't really mix well.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Bill Nye is a science guy.

Of course conservatives hate him.
They probably would want him thrown in jail for "corrupting the youth"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Additionally I would bet way more birds fly into windows- they're not bright creatures.
Except corvids, those fuckers are intelligent, but yeah those avian dinosaurs aren't the brightest bulbs

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I bet Rogers knows what it's like to have rivers that are choke full of industrial and literal poo poo. I mean all three of our rivers were probably worse than the Elk.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

For those new to the thread, I should mention the Onion's short-lived "Behind the Pen" series that talks about the cartoon and the process of creating it. What makes it good is that Kelly talks about the cartoon, not Ward Sutton, so you have a grumpy old man complaining about his editor or mother while trying to talk up very simple jokes or tricks as very technical parts of the craft. Sadly, it only lasted a few months before they stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_aDIY8OJog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVtbkQMwJS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGVrd1ih6cs

There's a few more than this, but those are among the best.
These are pretty great, Onion usually has a lot of fun content with their videos. Sex House was the pinnacle of dark comedy.

I love you :allears:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I can't wait for Bish to talk about Richard Sherman ruining the game of football, in fact I won't be surprised if a lot of the usual suspects use it as their template to bash Obama.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

That loving elephant is pissed off or crazy or both

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

Did they not watch that last play before that interview happened? I can understand the guy being angry.
But see he's black and he's being classless and he's a thug and oh god the dogwhistles!!!

Man I wonder what cartoons or sports shows were doing when Ali was running his mouth on everybody?

E: Also having watched all those Kelly Onion videos the Chinese "Rising Son" is basically what I think went into most Asay comics. That video was almost certainily a reference to Asay.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 21, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

joeburz posted:

What is the right's obsession with denigrating hybrid cars? Is it solely anti-progressive sentiment or is there an actual reason of merit to dislike cars with higher efficiency.
Only hippie fags drive a hybrid, real Americans should drive Hummers

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Filling the pot holes in Pittsburgh is like Sisyphus trying to roll that boulder it can't be done!!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

alnilam posted:

Maybe Rogers is using hyperbole to sort of poke fun at the holy light with which people view our new mayor? Like "he's so dreamy, he's dudley do-right, he's a saint." That's my guess.

Really though, Peduto is a pretty good dude as far as I can tell.

Basically yeah

Rogers posted:

In stark contrast to Pittsburgh's previous mayor, Bill Peduto seems to be doing all the right things as he adjusts to his new office. So that's what adult behavior looks like!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mister Beeg posted:

So my library has several books collecting political cartoons. I checked out three. One is No Cartoon Left Behind, a retrospective of Rob Rogers with cartoons dating back to the 1980s. The other is Herblock: The Life and Work of the Great Political Cartoonist. The third is Editorial and Political Cartooning by Syd Hoff, dated 1976. Lots of vintage cartoons on that one.

So this weekend will be stuffed with old, ancient political cartoons. Yay!

I'll start with the Rob Rogers book. The great thing is that there are captions from Rob explaining the cartoon and the context of what was going on. I try to keep those captions into the scans if possible (it's a BIG book. Scanning's a bit difficult).

These are really cool, I need to get that book, my Barnes and Noble should probably still have it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

God drat Cole can hit it out of the park sometimes.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Justin Bieber loooooooves death.
Hey man if you read the Sandman comics you would too!

You know why does it seem like everyone dislikes Bill Gates/thinks he's evil? And how great Steve Jobs is.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 25, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I would go more with the zombie motif what with PA's rich history with that genre, but yeah I'll vote for those clones. Also they should be saying legalize selling alcohol outside of out dated distributors.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

alnilam posted:

Good lord no! That's a Corbett position.

:ssh: Also it's something everyone's thinking, but it's such a goddamn complicated thing to actually pull off, I mean the distributors and the way it's done now are really stupid and nearly everyone agrees, but they're businesses with workers and how do you deal with putting them all out of a job in one fell swoop? It obviously should be done eventually, but the actual action has to get past the "job killer!" barrier, and as long as the current system is "not that bad" as to really necessitate change, it might be a while before anyone actually pulls the trigger. But right now Corbett's drive to privatize them is being painted by the liquor store workers as "ANTI-UNION" so I could see a democrat candidate supporting them just to look pro-union.
You know now that you said that, I can understand the Democrat position, and honestly I don't drink anyway. I just thought the inconvenience was kind of bullshit.

OldMemes posted:

Horsey just seems to really love his career, and that sense of enthusiasm really comes through in a lot of his comics. The guy seems to REALLY love drawing.

Compared to how bitter and jaded a lot of the cartoonists come across as, Horsey's attitude is refreshing.

That, and his art is usually really good, and he makes a good point every now and again.
That and he isn't trying to hide that he likes to draw beautiful women.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Chantilly Say posted:

Golf is a boring, wasteful, and terrible pastime. Miniature golf, on the other hand, is amazing, and more places should have it and let you drink and smoke on the course.
I have played the oldest surviving mini golf course in America (Geneva on the Lake, Ohio) every summer and every time I have a blast and also get everyone pissed off at me because I get a little too into it.

• Locked thread