Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Which cartoonist will come out with the first horribly racist cartoon for the year? Which will make the first AGC? Who will be the first in 2014 take a horrible human tragedy and somehow twist it to be about Benghazi or abortions? Find out in the coming day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Yeah, I'm reading the old Freep thread, and the poo poo that people are talking about for "Human Achievement Hour" is just disgusting.

Speaking of disgusting...

Before writing a cartoon, Kirschen rolls a six sided die. On a one through five, he hates the Arabs. On a six, it's Pollard time.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

alnilam posted:

Has Obama ever, ever directly called anyone racist, or even implied that to not support/vote for him was racist? Or is this all the "artists" projecting onto him?

The later.

Any time Obama says anything even vaguely relating to race, their thought process basically goes:

Obama said something about race and is black -> Obama is playing the race card -> Obama is calling us racists

It doesn't matter what he says, just that he brings race up. In many cases, this is because they are actually racists but don't like to consciously acknowledge this fact, so any mention of race by Obama is enough to make them uncomfortable. Instead of leading to self-reflection, this leads to anger at Obama. Others know their supporters are largely racists and use this to dogwhistle them. Many are both.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

ikanreed posted:

A page ago, but I can't read this any other way than whitemansburden.jpg. Is there any other interpretation at all?

He's getting ready to toss it into a giant blender.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Zelder posted:

This smacks of scientific racism/paternalism, right? Or am I misreading this specific point?

The development of fermentation is actually a pretty huge driver of human evolution. Populations that have had alcohol for long periods of time have a decent number of genetic markers that appear to have undergone selection. It's kinda correlated with the development of agriculture, though not entirely.

So yeah, there is pretty good evidence that some populations are able to metabolize alcohol better than others.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

54.4 crowns posted:

That oval office have gotten so loving hatefull lately.

Since the retirement of Asay, he's rapidly become the cartoonist I dislike the most. Nine out of ten of his comics are basically that the US needs to stop even the slightest bit of milquetoast criticism of Israel and get started on genociding all the Arabs. The tenth is FREE JONATHAN POLLARD.

Even if I was a pro-Israel right-winger, I'd be offended at how he basically seems to view the US as Israel's private army and is disappointed that we aren't snapping to slaughter in Israel's best interests, there's no concept of a reciprocal relationship, he's just offended that US soldiers aren't dying for a country that isn't their own.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Radish posted:

..and while he's complaining that the US isn't doing Israel enough favors he's also complaining about how bad the US is for whatever reason. It's the most childish, self centered viewpoint and I find his comics extra loathsome in their simplistic, folksy style. I think only McCoy edges him out as my most-hated current cartoonist.

I hope, someday, the United States condemns the settlements and slaps sanctions on Israel, and that he's alive for it so I can read the resulting cartoon.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

alnilam posted:

I know you were being sarcastic, but she's really pretty good looking. Definitely up there with Obama on the "attractive current politicians" list, IMO.

Is McCoy pulling a "female with short hair whom I find threatening = butch dyke lesbonaut" here? Is that a dumb question?

When writing about a woman, McCoy and a lot of the other conservative cartoonists/media dudes work on a pretty simple scale. If she has any masculine features like short hair, she's a butch dyke. If she's more feminine looking, she's a slut. Add morbidly obese if she is anything other than thin (ie Lewinsky). Criticism of their viewpoints is never addressed, because that would be treating them as a human being as opposed to a caricature.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Radish posted:

If only we could all be serfs on a rich man's manor. :allears:

A bowl of gruel per day and the promise that when we are no longer able to work, we will receive an honorable viking funeral (be thrown into a furnace and used as fuel).

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

angelfisher posted:

Lots of Russia/Ukraine from the CSM.

this metaphor again? sigh

It would work better if Obama was bringing a game of chess and Putin was just sitting there with a sledge hammer in front of him.

At least then it would make sense, even if I wouldn't necessarily agree with the message.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

double nine posted:

That's not saying what I think it is, surely? :stare:

Who am I kidding, of course it is.

Admittedly, even Kelly's worst "opinion", taken seriously, is less offensive than Kirschen, Asay, etc.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

loquacius posted:

New McFadden, about cops who dress up as things that are not cops

e: I should probably add that the cartoon's title is "NYPD’s New Undercover Units", for context

the banker at the end made me laugh

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

JOBS
MIDDLE CLASS
ECONOMY
HEALTHCARE

WVA?

Keystone?

Does Branco just take random words that pop into his mind and throw them at an image? Benghazi is missing.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Right wing editorial comic bingo is too easy.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

For all the positive coverage I see of Israel, it's like if you aren't lusting for brown people death constantly you're one of them

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

So uh... true racism, the nfl, and the liberal media are protecting rush limbaugh from being called a conservative? I don't get this at all but I'm pretty sure that getting it would require being stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Rorus Raz posted:

This is funny, because isn't there evidence that treating your captives well makes them more likely to share useful nformation with you?

I remember hearing there was a study that found the quickest way to break someone was to detain them indefinitely but give them nothing in particular to get upset over or complain about. Give them nothing to fight against until they stop caring about their cause. I barely remember the details, though, and haven't had any luck Googling it so maybe someone else is familiar with it.

• Locked thread